Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Splicer posted:

If I'm reading it right they made a post about the illegal skull trade in India and some guy thought they were talking about buying an illegal indian skull for themselves, and I genuinely can't tell if their failure to say "I'm not buying a skull" without caveats is just lovely communication or because they're ethically purchased skulls georg

It sounds like they want to get a donated skull at some point, with clear documentation that it was one. But the other person latched on to the idea of illegal skulls from India and is insisting that absolutely everything is about those. Even with the original post being a warning against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

specifically, only the terminally online and twitter poisoned would associate "88" with Hitler. Like two days ago.

Who's the idiot on social media now, huh??
They were talking about seeing 88 by itself in a username, not this guy's face.

sassassin posted:

Some goons really don't want to think Darren is a Nazi, huh.
Nobody here was skeptical of Darren being a Nazi.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Skwirl posted:

If i were a magazine editor I would probably ask the writer of the review to possibly revise their score when the game tried to kill one of their coworkers. If they refused I might consider not running the review at all.

Revise it how, though?

Taking off a point or two seems really insensitive. You could give it a big fat 0 but that's basically just omitting a score, not revising it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

How is that insensitive? Hurting the devs feelings for pointing out their failures?
Because it's such a small act. If you take off a point or two for "it tried to kill my coworker" it makes it sound like you're not taking it seriously.

"still an 8/10 experience"

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Somfin posted:

Doubling down on "I hope he gets raped" as an apology, loving hell

Somfin posted:

I'm not outraged at her or about her wanting "bad things to happen to Trump," I'm outraged about the systematic problem that the joke relies on: the belief that prisoners deserve to get raped, the understanding that prison exists as a way to make your enemies suffer rape, and the response to jokes about one's enemies being raped in prison consistently being an apology only, and exclusively, for the implication of homophobia.

It's not an apology. She is (correctly) denying the accusation.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
That guy's being an idiot but come on Wickard v. Filburn is utter bullshit.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

Uhhhhm. What are you saying about our kick-rear end Saint , and his very cool and real monster slaying. :britain:

Maybe you loser countries with your loser Saints who 'Went around healing the sick' should take some notes on how a real saint kicks rear end for the lord. :colbert:
Sure he kicked rear end but imagine if a guy wrestled one of the last few tigers in the world to death, even if it was dangerous to people that doesn't make you a hero.

Dylan16807 has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Elviscat posted:

It loses something without the pulsing butt cheeks.

https://i.imgur.com/Z7ZoP2m.mp4

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Hollandia posted:

Thermo-meter.
It measures thermo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG17S2zSg1U

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Raised By Birds posted:

It's probably short for kodomo, a word that just means "children" in general.

Oh, that's pretty simple.

So does the komodo dragon convention have booths full of kodomo komodo being cute? Do they make laser noises like gators crocodiles?

Dylan16807 has a new favorite as of 08:38 on Mar 15, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think I’m actually more confused now.

I guess the original issue was people publicly commenting on her body. And she did things like standing entirely behind that desk to reduce it?

Then she made a tweet about not liking those comments.

Then a bunch of twittersmen interpreted that as "negative comments" and responded very unhelpfully by calling her beautiful and similar.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Biplane posted:

I remember watching stuff like the simpsons, how i met your mother, all the american shows really, back in the day. Constant cuts to black every few minutes, breaking up the flow of the narrative, for no apparent reason.

Then I moved to Florida for a while and realised that every single one of those cuts to black were there so they could cram a commercial in there. A 20 minute simpsons episode turns into 40 minutes of actual hell. Here, I'm pretty sure there are laws against putting more than one commercial break in an episode.

It's something like 21-22 minutes padded to 30. And it slowly gets worse over time. A few shows even go over 1/3 ads. There's very good reason to never touch live TV.

Your profile says norway, the rule there is max 9 minutes per hour, that seems like a good policy.

The UK overcomplicates things but there's a limit of 8 minutes per hour in prime time, also good. And no ads on the BBC.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

GreenMetalSun posted:

It doesn't seem like it would be illegal to have a limited window of opportunity for transactions? Sort of like how your bank's website will log you out after [x] minutes of inactivity. Am I missing what happened? It reads to me like he timed out while trying to process the payment.

Limited window is fine, the problem is failing to return the money that arrived in Tesla's account after the window closed.

Assuming it did; it's possible the transaction is still pending because bitcoin.

Dylan16807 has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Apr 1, 2021

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The alternative is a world where it becomes almost impossible for any visual artists to receive compensation for their work.

There are plenty of other alternatives. For example the law could say "this isn't for sale, this was never going to be for sale, so no copyright applies".

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Hey old man, typewriters called I didn’t bother thinking up a punchline but you’re old.

Double spacing makes less sense on a typewriter than on a normal computer font, fight me.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

...wait. All squirrels are the same age?

Just like periodical cicadas.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Cool, I get to link one of my favorite short stories. The Egg, by Andy Weir

That's a fun story but it would make everyone soulmates under that logic, so it doesn't work as an explanation.

I demand answers about how certain people in particular would be reincarnations of the same person at the same time. :argh:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Heath posted:

I think, like most tweets, it's phrased poorly but the intent is understood

Because of that part it's hard for me to figure out the intent. Is the request for any songs by a man and about a woman? Creepy ones? Ones that suck in a specific way, but I'm not sure which specific way if I'm ignoring the not-a-duet part?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Samovar posted:

Isn't it that you own a record of a picture of it?

NFTs don't have to be for pictures. They can proclaim ownership of anything!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
You could tie different kinds of legal ownership into an NFT just fine, but when people will pay thousands of dollars for sweet nothings nobody bothers.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

nurmie posted:

this is something that boggles my mind, honestly

like, i don't think there's a single court or rights management organisation or whatever on the planet that recognizes NFTs as, well, anything, really. it's especially noticeable when tech bros try to disrupt an industry with a long history of trying to secure rights to intellectual property-like stuff (like music industry, for example). they come in waving their blockchains around, only to crash headfirst into an impenetrable wall of rules, rights, regulations and laws, with predictable results

I mean, people can make contracts however they want, even in mediums that are terrible ideas. An NFT isn't special in a good or bad way. But if you make a contract over nothing, then it will be ignored, no matter what form it takes.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

organburner posted:

all someone knows them from

This is the problem and what's causing the reaction.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

If anyone can find a way to brick a mirror with a firmware update it's Elon Musk.
The side mirrors have motors on them, it can't be that hard.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I think NFT nerds extremely don't understand what NFTs are, since I'm pretty sure the actual non-fungible token is the json file in the blockchain and not the monkey picture to which it points.

Worse, the average NFT doesn't even point to an image, it points to a URL.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

18! is the number of orders that you can put all 18 ingredients on, but it doesn't allow for the possibility that you might only want 17 or even fewer. If you don't consider order, then there are in total 2^20 possible ways to order your hash browns, which is the number given above.
2^20 is about a million, this is 50% larger than that.

The number they give is a perfect match for 3 sizes, 4 preps, and 17 ingredient options.

So which ingredient was added later?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I am struggling to tell whether it's rust, mold, or whether somebody committed Art.

It was apparently made by using a "LET'S RESIN Calendar Mold"

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

It's intentional language and what's used legally here. Being "drunk" is subjective, drinking is not. Having 3 pints and getting behind the wheel, you may not be drunk but you are over the drink-driving limit.

Can't most people have a drink and never go over the drink driving limit even at the peak? Let alone slow drinking over time.

The rule is based around drunkenness and how to define an objective threshold of it. It's easier for someone to self-evaluate whether they had a drink or not, but the crime is about drunk and not drink.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

There's this whole differentiation between fast digestible carbs (sugar = bad) and slow digestible carbs (starch = good) which is a thing in diet speak, that's probably what they were talking about. I guess the basic idea is that your body needs to break down the starch into glucose before you can use it and sugar is already glucose / saccharose? And the sugar gives you energy faster and the starch gives you energy over the day? Pretty sure this doesn't work that way, starch is already broken down as you eat and long-term energy storage is fat, not starch, but you know, diet stuff. It's probably some half-truths blown way out of proportion.

It's true that it's not as simple as sugar vs. starch, and potatoes will jam your blood full of sugar right away, but the basic idea is very true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

No idea if the guy was referring to that. His wording sounds more like he's worried about overworking his gut or something.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

quote:

Officially authorized by SNK. CryptoKOF NFT, the return of the king, to fight again in the Metaverse arena!🔥🔥🔥

This appears to be a reupload: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn1Wpp9i8cE

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Also the tweet they sent to get that reply was "i found a body in my fridge what do i do #TeamItachi @FortniteGame"

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s better in that he’s already signed the agreement so he either owes them a billion dollars or they sue him

Even better than that. He can't choose to just pay them a billion and walk away. They can work to force the deal.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Autisanal Cheese posted:

He's going the 'I didn't actually mean what I clearly meant' route, and that isn't going down well either:

What do you think he meant?

I might rephrase his first tweet as "The player is much more important to worry about, but lol how do you intend to postpone the game in a way that makes sense?"

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Do more than 1 in 100 Americans have a million dollars?

Have? Yes. More than 10% have a million when you include house value.

But the income numbers are 10-20x lower.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
A reasonable estimate for a "library of congress" focused on just books is 1MB or 10MB per book depending on text versus black and white scan, multiplied by about 30 million books. So somewhere in the ballpark of 100 terabytes.

Project Gutenburg is somewhere over 50k books and over 60GB. English Wikipedia is about 21GB of text.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m sure in very maths related fields it’s important, but I can’t think of a single time since high school where I’ve found it’s something I need to know, outside of isolating things in brackets in excel.

I like using pi to calculate the best value pizzas, though.

:eng101: Since you're comparing different circles you don't need pi, you can just use diameter squared per dollar or radius squared per dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1687698537469898753?s=46&t=c0gactqXNUS6mwc1ykXaXQ

A timely reminder that you should be blocking all blue users and not posting their actual posts in here, and to use screenshots instead if it’s something particularly worthwhile. It’s all engagement farming now.

All engagement farming but in the dumbest way possible because only ad views by verified users count.