Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

Idgi, is the gate across that bridge?

It’s a screencap from the clip where pewdiepie yelled a racial slur at a player that killed him, then in his weird half-apology called it a “heated gaming moment”. I hate that I recognize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I need to recommend that people click through on this one, because there's some gold below the fold here, and it isn't anything like what you expect.

holy poo poo it's not giving them photography or catering services 'for exposure' or even giving them a venue for exposure. They want people to be armed guards for exposure.

Armed guards explicitly to fight the police for exposure. Because some free booze is worth heavy criminal charges, I guess?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

FFT is agreeing with you, and trying to explain the point to Ugly in the morning. This is impossible because Ugly in the Morning is ignoring American history on roughly "the Irish were slaves too but they overcame it" level

There’s way more to it than that, and I won’t deny that tipping is a way that minorities end up making less money overall, but American tipping and wage laws are distinct from the end of slavery- that poo poo started in the mid-1800’s with rich people that basically were trying to flex and show off that they had been to Europe and knew all the fancy rules. Hotel workers and porters (which is an occupation that has a whooole other set of hosed up racial poo poo; look at the “Georges” of the Pullman rail company) ended up unionizing and missing the worst of tipped wage laws but restaurant workers weren’t able to and got the worst of it. And yes, it disproportionately affects racial minorities, I was arguing the origin and not the effect. If you really want to get into it, the tipped wage being sub-minimum was a 1960’s kick at the civil rights movement, not a post slavery issue. It took about 30 years for people to decide tipped workers don’t get everyone else’s minimum wage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FFT posted:

Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 is a bit before the '60s.

And there's a reason tipping survived in the USA when it didn't in Europe.

The amendment for the tipped wage was 66 though.

E:nope, I’m wrong, that codified certain aspects of the tipped wage but didn’t start it. My bad.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ratatouille: It’s not just a goddamn Pixar movie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knormal posted:

I'm not sitting on a public toilet unless I have to.

I'm not sure how widespread they, are but here in the constantly-in-a-drought-and-on-fire American West a lot of places have completely waterless urinals now. They have some kind of blue liquid in a canister in the drain at the bottom that is apparently lighter than pee so the pee flows under it is safely isolated in the pipes so there's no gross smell.

The bar I used to go to in western MA has had those for like a decade and they're surprisingly not gross, I wish more places would use them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Way more celebrities than I expect are the children of either the rich, or of people already deep in music/film/whatever.

Like there's so many actors who are the kids of either Hollywood producer/exec types, slightly-less-famous actors, or are just rich brits who studied acting at Oxbridge instead of whatever normal rich awful tories study.

Billie Eilish comes to mind, there was a bunch of stuff trying to promote her as some teenager who managed to hit it big. Her parents both work in the entertainment industry so she had waaaaay more connections than the average teenager.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cernunnos posted:

You could have a whole snub-nose revolver in there.

That's obviously a major threat to the guys wearing mil-surp flak jackets and helmets.

It’s not even a matter of size, if I had a loaded gun in the pockets of my basketball shorts they’d be around my ankles. The waistband just isn’t made to support more than the weight of like a wallet and keys. I can’t even keep my phone in my gym shorts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Breetai posted:

Oh look. A poster with "88" in their username excusing someone ploughing a truck through an anti fascist protest.

I’m pretty sure that 88 is the year they were born. They regged in 2005, there’s tons of people born in 88 who had it as part of screennames long before people outside of meganazi circles ran into it being a code for something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nastyman posted:

I've got a feeling any mask that covers the nose and mouth will soon be labeled a gas mask, just like anyone not voluntarily lining up to be tear gassed will be labeled Antifa

I hope not, that’s the type of mask I use whenever I go to the store. :ohdear:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
An EMT who works near me just got super fired for his Facebook posting and he deserved it. Spoilering for racial slurs and dumb assery.

I think I finally got all the names out of it. Every time I looked I’d find a new one.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Jun 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

"That Chris Rock Routine" amirite

He even did the “I have black friends” thing. I usually wouldn’t post something like that here but I’m furious, this is someone who is supposed to help people and he’s a big ol’ turboracist. It makes things way more difficult when it comes to people trusting EMS when there’s people like that out there. One of my friends worked with him and apparently he was a public safety hazard so really, gently caress that guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Black Panthers operated community ambulances to get people to the hospital because local EMS couldn't or wouldn't come to certain areas.

I wonder why????

That has at least stopped, you get dispatched and you’re going.

But there’s still insidious bullshit. When the last chief was still in charge, they had a staff meeting to give out incidental duties. My medic partner of the last five+ years is black, and he got put on “mopping the station” even though he was way more qualified for various other stuff, and the most senior employee. The new chief is way better about it but elderly patients will still ask “are you qualified to do this” when he goes to start IVs and whatnot. It’s insidious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

"That Chris Rock Routine" amirite

My medic partner is a black man and had this to say when he saw that post. Spoilering for racial slurs again. If this isn’t allowed, let me know and I’ll delete ‘em.

That whole thing pre-dates the Chris rock routine but that definitely made it more visible. IIRC he regrets ever doing that bit but it definitely came from something that he heard a lot growing up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/parismartineau/status/1237758426547195910?s=21

I think of this dumbass tweet often when I see people sanitizing things with bleach.

She wrote for a tech magazine and thought the subway tunnels were gonna be full of chlorine gas from the... near zero amounts of ammonia in piss. Wired has really gone downhill.

Does anyone have any old tweets from Titanic Guy/Firefirefighter guy?

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Jul 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wachter posted:

It's only just clicked for me: Elon wants to go to Mars because there's no oxygen, and so nothing can catch fire

Well, bad news then, lithium batteries are self oxidizing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FFT posted:

Eh, that's probably just one of those cases of "has only ever read it, never heard it" which is fine and good.

I’ve heard that called “calliope syndrome”.

I still never pronounce brooch right in my head. Or caste.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

She’s the one that didn’t know what “death recorded” meant, based a book on it, and died inside on air in an interview when someone managed to beat her “research” via Wikipedia, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wachter posted:

Men walk around all day with a dick, balls, and man rear end permanently attached to them. Seems gay as hell to me

Well, yeah, if it was detachable you might lose it at a party and have to spend 17 dollars buying it back from some street merchant.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hardwood Floor posted:

That's kind of cute in a way, lol. I do know the only alter I'm aware of is like who we wanted to be in high school (cool goth lesbian) but I'm a trans guy now. Which also ties into what BioEnchanted mentioned, it's pretty common for alters to have different genders from the "main" person too.

Anyways, have an actual IOSM post oops.

https://twitter.com/TobyJeffcoat/status/1372310566941904897

He's shorting it like 50k on take home, too. Nobody's paying literally half their income in taxes right now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Garrand posted:

I was so confused about what the issue was, my eyes just straight up refuse to read hashtags so I missed it entirely.

:same:

I was looking at the pictures for weird details and going insane.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RatHat posted:

Wouldn't this actually make sense due to how a family tree works? At a certain point almost everyone is an ancestor to everyone currently living. Like how they say Genghis khan is the ancestor of like half of humanity.

That would be for ancestors, but I’ve never seen anything where people reincarnate into descendants only. Also you have thousands of people all claiming to be the same person in a past life. Seems fishy to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inceltown posted:

Given the rate of population growth on the planet does this mean that people are getting reincarnated faster and faster or is it a case of people can still be born with a clean slate?

Maybe it's a pillars of eternity type thing where they fragment and the soul bits get mixed into some fresh stuff, like an afterlife sourdough.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Always enjoy it when the context provides no real meaning behind the actions of insane people.

I think I’m actually more confused now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Tankies also like to go to bat for people like the Kims, Pol Pot, Jim Jones, and Assad. It’s internet communism and “gently caress you, dad!” jammed in a blender and cranked up beyond the point of any reason.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

Why am I having so much difficulty seeing through all these long posts about Ellis to figure out what the actual issue is. Isn't she just saying "Hey that Raya movie sure does have a general gimmick of various culturally distinct tribes/nations based on Classical Elements and one central chosen-one figure who can unite them all, doesn't it"?

I haven't seen the movie but some friends visited a couple weekends back and described the movie to me, and I was like "uh that sounds a lot like Disney wanted their own ATLA"

It really feels like people deliberately missing the point and twisting it into something they can be Mad Online about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pancho Jueves posted:

Let us never forget the true cost of the pandemic: lack of high-heeled shoes.

I have never seen a Passover display in New England even when things are normal.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

See the trouble I have is that this phenomenon is what a certain segment is calling "cancel culture"

And I would very much like not to play into their hands

Not calling the dumb poo poo out is also playing into their hands, though, because it lets them have examples of those frenzies with no one making reasonable points against it. And not pushing back feeds into the echo chamber that lets it get worse and worse.

I dunno, not pushing back against idiots because other idiots call it cancel culture feels counterproductive to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

People here still have a third car for the teenager because they are by nature heartbreakingly lazy.

I don’t see what’s weird about having a separate car for a new driver. Every teenager car I’ve ever seen except for like, people who are stupid rich is an old beater. New drivers are more likely to wreck a car, drive in ways that put more wear on a car, and more expensive to insure. Putting them in a car that’s not the one you depend on to do daily stuff isn’t excess, it’s damage control.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They are on galaxy brain levels of the old adage you don't get rich by spending money :capitalism:

You have no loving idea. Or how bad they are at it. I describe amazon as the kind of place that’ll spend a thousand dollars to save a hundred.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Guy seems pretty dumb, just stick with Fiat :iiaca:

Fiats might be the only car worse than Tesla’s. I had one for six weeks, then it broke down and had to go to the shop for six weeks. Two months after that it broke down again and the engine was so ripped up the warranty company cut me a check to wash their hands of the thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Naomi Wolf going whole hog in an Epoch Times article is super on point. For someone who allegedly has left the US you would think she would know that this a thing since there are places where you are required to get a vaccination for yellow fever.

Her doctoral dissertation and an entire book she was going to publish was based on a misunderstanding a five second google search would have cleared up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FFT posted:

It was a comic of hilariously bad metaphor/analogy, hopefully someone saved it

Here’s the text remaining from an old Twitter embed in the GBS chinathread:

E:

And here’s the comic that went with the original tweet, I don’t have the version without the speech bubble of a baffling attempt at character defamation made about someone who was talking about the Uighyr genocide though.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Apr 2, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why are we having the second derail about gender discussion in as many weeks? Aren't there any idiots on social media we can talk about instead?

I’m pretty sure gender discussion the most common derail in this thread by a wide, wide margin. I miss the days where it was easy to find fun social media idiots like Titanic Guy and Firefighter Guy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

To be fair, the bannings after the insurrection coupled with the lockdown migration from Facebook of the worst kind of terfy swerfy Nazis has slowly drained twitter of anyone funny or cool, and is leaving it a unfunny wasteland of terfy swerfy Nazis and their 4 million “how you doing fellow trans” alts.

The death of Youropenbook didn’t help, in 2013-whenever that died it was so easy to just search weird terms and get weird poo poo in response.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bismuth posted:

Help i got banned from the service that lets you put your phone number in for discounts at safeway

She’s one or two meltdowns away from not being allowed to buy subs at Publix anymore.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a functional difference between laura loomer and kaitlyn bennet because I keep thinking they're the same person.

Other than I guess I don't think loomer has shat herself yet.

Loomer is more openly unhinged. Like, Bennet is obviously nuts but in the “can function in society” way, Loomer comes across more like the guy that was always shouting racial slurs under the fire escape at my old apartment building.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paying money to promote a tweet to Elon musk with someone else’s personal information would be a bit more insane but not by much.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/andrwwang/status/1378426434440491010?s=20

Bragging about your GPA as an adult is dumb as hell, bragging about your GPA as an adult and your GPA isn't 4.0 is so so much worse.

Wow, the comments on that tweet fuckin’ suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastry of the Year posted:

No probation I can give you could match the absolute thrashing / red-texting you've gotten in this thread in the time between you made this terrible post and the time my attention was brought to it.

But I can still try.

Someone who’s not on mobile screen cap that av/text for me so I can trot it out the next time people say they should get rid of buying avs for other people.