Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Data Graham posted:

I'm pretty much done with it, since politics are absolutely not just a sports team preference, and anyone who thinks of politics in those terms is at BEST not taking it seriously enough to acknowledge that it literally means life and death for lots of people, and at worst is being a disingenuous monster who just wants to get laid without having to stop being a monster.

I mean, to an extent. Sometimes I can respect that some people genuinely mean the best for others, but we just disagree about how to get it done, in that regard we can disagree about politics and still get along, because I accept that their heart is in the right place even if their brain isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

OhAreThey posted:

Why are findommes any different than any other form of sex work? Sounds perfect if you're a woman who wants to make some fast cash without having to be nice to (or be in the same room with) gross men.

I think the point is that findoms generally don't care about their "pay pigs" at all, like, if some guy findoms himself into debt or not being able to pay his bills, they don't give a poo poo, while other BDSM stuff involves not ruining anyone's lives(if done right). I.e. there may be pain and whatever, but you're not permanently damaging anyone and the dom cares about their sub having a good time, too.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

This isn't to say that there aren't physical and mental impairments that can cause a lot of suffering, or that wanting to be cured of these impairments is somehow a betrayal of the disabled community. It's that maybe the best thing for disabled people is not to view them as objects of pity and scorn that have to be "fixed."

On the other hand, maybe a voluntary limiting of a child's sensorium should be something they decide for themselves once they're adults. If an adult chooses it for themselves, that's one thing, but parents forcing it on their kid is something that doesn't sit well with me. To me it's like parents denying a poorly-sighted child glasses.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Don't let anyone tell you that peer pressure doesn't work.

Give me a cat picture from the hoard, please.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That being said the character has good points to him, he has good and honorable intentions, he is not afraid to show emotion, and is invested deeply in a cause. Perhaps, unfortunately, this may be overshadowed by the depiction of the character perhaps branching into some territory that would be considered a trope, most specifically the Angry Black Man trope popularized in US media in the late 60s and 70s. This is a tough issue though, because that trope is centered around a Black person angry or upset at the government and oppression, and the character in the game is upset at a large mega corporation that has insidious machinations, so the characters natural reaction to this is similar to behavior of the trope.

Don't forget that he's also a loving and devoted father to his kid, something that the Remake does a bit more with than the original. The upgraded graphics and art in the remake also does a lot to make him look less like a black stereotype physically.

Though I also gotta admit, and maybe this is just me being a complete moron, but how is "black people don't take government/corporate oppression sitting down and will in fact speak out angrily against it and do something about it" a stereotype, and even if it is, how is it a harmful one? And stereotype or not, black people do get an extra helping of the oppression compared to a lot of other people, so it just seems... realistic that they'd have more to be pissed about?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

luxury handset posted:

there were some people who were upset that disco lets you play your character as a huge racist without immediately pausing the game to lecture the player about how racism is bad

If anyone is heartless enough to play Disco Elysium as an rear end in a top hat/racist the game should set their PC on fire.

there wolf posted:

The angry black man/woman trope is really about framing black people as inherently irrational and bullying, and even less than human as a result of that. It doesn't matter if their anger at the government is righteous (let's face it, it's because their anger is righteous and society needs to take that power away) because it's coming from a black man it's going to be paranoid, misdirected, and end in some overkill reaction way out of proportion for the actual offense.

Yeah, which is, in my opinion, why it doesn't apply to Barrett. Most of what he does is a pretty rational reaction to the bullshit he's dealing with. And when it isn't perfect beep-boop logic, it's a situation where people would usually be understandably emotional.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Adding on, last Sunday 60 minutes did a little special on Sweden that was obnoxiously glowing "Only 2,000 deaths!" and "The people are really loving this freedom." So, that probably raised its profile among the not terminally online. No idea if anyone else boosted it.

Being suckered in by falsehoods like this is easy to avoid if you just remember that anything Sweden does is usually a mistake.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Piss Meridian posted:

You're assuming they actually believe women can't be violent, rather than callously attempting to manipulate statistics. I have exactly zero faith in any female led group to make a good faith attempt to correct this situation they created.

If you want my advice the smart thing to do at this point is to leave the thread alone for like, a month or something, and hoping that no one's gonna remember you posted something this insanely weird when you come back.

Or you could die on this hill, of course, if you want to entertain us.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/suchnerve/status/1257161277295779840?s=20

Future member of Estranged Parents message boards. I don't even like Minecraft and I get how hosed that is. It's not locking away some toys for a set amount of time, that's destroying their toy in front of them.

Wow holy poo poo this post is one of the few in this thread that actually makes me angry. They even preface it by saying they know how proud their kid is of their creative work, and then just loving bzorp, gone, and zero sign of contrition or feeling like a sack of gently caress that they made their kid cry.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Unironically more or less correct.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

I think the teacher's actual real complaint (that got lost in TERF rhetoric) was that Zoom was a bad program because it lacked privacy. I don't know what to say to that because I don't know anything about Zoom, but it's not hard imagine that a family might have only a single computer at home and for a student taking online courses to be using it. Then the student's parents might see material from her courses that they would find objectionable.

Even if they had a private PC, they'd likely have to be talking about sensitive material and perhaps personal matters where their family would likely be able to hear it, and if they perhaps had a conservative family, or simply had things they didn't feel ready to share with even a relatively progressive family yet, that could get real uncomfortable real quick.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

That looks okay at a first glance. How's he libertarianing it and loving it up?

Maybe the solution to "medical bankruptcy" is "free healthcare" not "riotously expensive medical insurance and free lawyers."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Also, yknow, the fact that sodomy was in fact illegal in many states during the height of the AIDS epidemic.

Wait was that actually intended as a response to the AIDS epidemic? I thought that was just a general bit of discrimination against homosexuals.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Speaking of Always Sunny, even though it’s still kind of an uncomfortable episode and one the cast said they probably wouldn’t make if they could do it all again, it did this same joke a lot better imo.

I think the reason Always Sunny did it better is because it made it very clear that Mac was the idiot and his reactions to having a trans girlfriend were childish and self-destructive. Like there was no way in hell anyone could ever assume that the joke was anything other than "Mac is an idiot who's letting something cosmetic get in the way of being with someone that he really gets along with and enjoys being with." The joke isn't that his girlfriend gets beaten up or suffers, if I remember right she actually soldiers on despite his idiocy and is generally portrayed as being happy and functional compared to the main cast.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What's AFAB? I honestly haven't heard that term before.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Otana posted:

Assigned Female At Birth.

Does that refer specifically to those born with "intersex" characteristics or anyone who's considered to be female at birth and later decides it doesn't fit their gender expression?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Who? I'm genuinely curious which character this is. Vaguely related: but while the Discworld books weren't always on point with representation they're still considerably better than a lot of modern fantasy in how they deal with basically any societal situation.

The only one I can think of is that Pratchett made Nobby Nobbs into a very stereotypical crossdresser in Jingo and it carried over into Fifth Elephant and possibly beyond.

I also insist that Pratchett had some real weird-rear end takes on Strong Men and democratic institutions in general.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Cheery.

She and dwarves in general are sort of a mixed metaphor for racial intolerance/gender equality but also makes an extremely good allegory for trans issues too. Really ahead of his time, I dunno if he was writing it with that intent but the character is incredibly applicable today.

I have to admit that I never really read the female dwarves as a take on trans issues, less as "act your gender which we are telling you what is" and more religious fundamentalism in the "better hide your ankles before all the men go insane with lust because you're such a hussy."-way, but then again the entire vibe I got off the dwarves in the Discworld books(after Pratchett got tired of using them as stand-ins for Asians) was them being a stand-in for orthodox Jews or fundamentalist Muslims.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Kinda my biggest beef with Microsoft for like 30 years has boiled down to that it seems like it's staffed entirely by people who don't understand computers (or their users).

They're suffering from the same issue as any software company that becomes sufficiently large, at some point UI design is driven by the designers' need to justify keeping their jobs and/or a marketing team, rather than actually making the UI better. Either way you get pointless changes to a perfectly good UI/front end(with no option to roll back to an earlier version, of course, who would ever want that?????) rather than the under-the-hood improvements that users are actually begging for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Dungeons and Dragons is removing racial modifiers and rewriting the more problematic elements of their lore around drow/orcs and boy howdy are there some takes

Got any sources for the actual changes? I had a quick look around and I couldn't google anything up, I'm curious to what the changes actually amount to.

Though are they just removing racial modifiers entirely? That part honestly seems like a bit of a weird take, since it doesn't exactly seem racist to go "this species is bigger and stronger than humans, +1 strong."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

GreenMetalSun posted:

Most playable D&D races are similar in form to humans for game balance reasons. You can't play like, an immortal star dragon or anything.

Also because if Bob is playing a creature ten times as big and bulky as the rest of the party, good luck getting them to have adventures in the same place. :v:

Aside from that, these changes sound pretty alright and agreeable. I can't see anything to get upset about.

beats for junkies posted:

I know he's just saying "I don't want my problematic poo poo to go away because I'm a hateful rear end in a top hat," but taking his words as written (which tabletop gamers love to do), he doesn't want Faerun to be the Faerun it's been for the last 40+ years (only now with less rape).

Part of the issue is also that some of the grogosphere have been successful at connecting "SJW" edits with "corporate meddling" so people go "noooooooooo, these soulless capitalists are watering down the design and uniqueness of [thing I like]!" A lot of these people simply can't comprehend the idea that perhaps the designers and developers wanted less racism in the thing they were working on, or that they thought after ten years of being titty bait, that girl in the videogame should be allowed to wear a shirt.

It's gotta be corporate meddling, clearly if you unfettered the artists, all they'd want to do would be drawing tits all day.

PurpleXVI has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jun 18, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's me, I'm the idiot for associating with nerds who play roleplaying games online.

"Harumph well if people didn't want racism in their games, they could just houserule it out!!!!! Clearly it's black people's fault for identifying with orcs in the first place. If they didn't do that, we could just make orcs as racist as we wanted and no one would be upset."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Trad games here has extremely few RPG grognards.

Uh yeah in my experience the tradgame forum here on SA is one of the few online TTRPG places where you can safely be non-binary, non-white or whatever and not have someone screaming about what stat maluses you'd have in D&D, and where people genuinely enjoy many non-traditional takes on RPG's. It's a breath of fresh air.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Just letting go with a sneeze is extremely satisfying, though. Not really something you can do in public because it tends to be incompatible with covering your mouth, but if you're alone outside or at home and you can just let it rip through your body, it's very, very refreshing and rarely quiet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

See that just makes me wish we were more often allowed to wear trousers that did not necessitate the wearing of underpants.

I mean, you'd need something without a zipper, because metal in contact with penis has potential for being painful. I think really the only options would be some kind of sweatpants or a kilt, and if you're wearing a kilt I'd argue you should wear underwear for everyone else's sake so we don't get an accidental glimpse at your taint and balls.

I also honestly thought bras were functional wear most of the time, to prevent medium-to-large breasts from being uncomfortable to carry around while doing anything physically exerting. Like isn't that the entire point of a sports bra?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, I had to read the artist's tweets to see they were not, in fact, making fun of black people and supporting anti-mask idiocy. Maybe this could all have been avoided if they were competent at their profession.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

Before corona virus he had a job as a fire safety officer, checking extinguisher tags and smoke alarm fittings for audits, but it wasn't the kind of job he wanted so he quit before he had anything else lined up.

A) what sounds like a pretty fuckin easy job.

B) a job that actually involves caring about other people's safety rather than making Number Go Up.

Holy poo poo what sort of sociopath would quit this job unless it was a starvation-level wage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Len posted:

My coworker has a story about how someone her husband works with is in the hospital with an infection in her lungs caused by wearing a mask. And that's why she signed the waiver that says she's got health issues and can't wear a mask at work

If you wear a mask all day while working and it's a mask that's dense enough to actually keep some particles back, it will make your lungs work harder and it will trap moisture that you'll end up breathing in. That's why a face shield is much superior to a face mask for anyone actually doing work.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

So wash your loving mask and bring spares if you're so concerned.

Man I love that you don't read the rest of what I wrote. I'm not saying to not wear masks, I'm saying that working a full workday while wearing a mask is actually a health hazard, especially if done over a longer period of time. So we need to consider a lot less places to be essential and have shorter opening hours for the ones that are, for it to be actually a sustainable thing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Do you have any actual evidence for this?

I mean, OSHA regs for my part of the world which specify working no more than 3 hours wearing a dust/gas mask, unless it's got a mechanical ventilator attached to assist in breathing? Using these very same reasons as justification?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

all those dastardly people with limited income who're stealing checks nothing at all because it's literally just a copy that doesn't remove anyone's property or prevent the copyright-holder from still earning money off the people who can afford to buy it.

Also lol at comparing data piracy to the behavior of colonizing nations. I guess the pirates are invading the creators and displacing them from their studios now. A bold new tack to take.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

sugar mouse posted:

So a lot of reasonable (ish) but not overly smart people voted to leave.

Brexit was never about economic issues, it was about racism. All those "reasonable but not overly smart"-people were just afraid of muslims moving into the neighbourhood.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

sugar mouse posted:

Well depends on your point of view. For the working class, it was getting rid of the foreigners. For the middle class, they were largely tricked into thinking the economy might improve but also secretly glad the Muslims might get deported.

So you're saying for some of them it was racism, for others it was racism AND greed.

How are these people "reasonable-ish"-again?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, can we just not link things like this unless it ends with these psychopaths getting decked, maced, tazed or shot? Because it's some loving infuriating poo poo to see them getting away with just making GBS threads all over other people without getting some just desserts.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

The Cuties bullshit has been raging in leftist and liberal circles as well, mostly among people who digest all news through headlines and never actually learn anything about the things they're mad about. I think a lot of it is seeing a chance to be mad at a corporation and running with it.

It's surprising that the most nuanced take on it I've seen from an internet 'personality' was from Ben loving Shapiro. Mostly because acknowledging what the movie is actually about gave him an excuse to poo poo on both atheists and Muslims.

To be fair to people, it does take a decent bit of digging to get past the poster and marketing on "Cuties." Like it ain't an article where you can just click through and the meat of the matter is there, you need to actually dig up who the creator is and what her statements on the movie are to see that it is not, in fact, intended as child porn.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

The main issue with that movie is how they made everyone white, but the blatant disregard for the rest of the source material is almost comical. If you haven't seen it, it's almost worth it for Tenar, the cheerful elementary school teacher of the Atuan priestesses of light and friendship.

Hahahahah, what? How the gently caress can you read any Earthsea story involving Sparrowhawk and ignore every single line that points out the protagonist's culture is explicitly not white?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was just random fantasy stuff. I didn't really like earthsea when I read it honestly.

Honestly for anyone interested in Earthsea stuff just read the first book and ignore the rest, because they really aren't very good.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TA Metis posted:

what the gently caress, source your quotes

The first Earthsea book: a well-written and self-contained adventure where the protagonist does things.
Most of the following Earthsea stories: people wander in circles mulling over doing something, half the time they don't do anything at all(the other half they finally do something by the last chapter) and usually the situation is resolved by some complete outsider, random event or thing that only gets explained in a later story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maybe your boss was just pointing out that killing non-venomous spiders that aren't a danger to you for no good reason is an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

rear end in a top hat.