Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Never in ten billion years would it ever occur to them that staying home is for OTHER PEOPLE'S benefit

The only thing that's making a lot of people wear masks when they go out in public is the mistaken perception it's for their own protection. The idea that someone would voluntarily inconvenience themselves for a minor benefit to others nearby that nonetheless makes a big societal difference is alien. So if that idea DID occur to them, they'd just stop staying home (and expect everyone else to either stay home or be at work, whichever is more convenient for them at that time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:perfect:

You even got the lighting to match up.

And the skull!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

It's telling that he never examined that advice or behavior until the object of his derision spoke the gently caress up and startled him

Guess he was getting results huh

And never thought "wait you did that to mom? What the gently caress?"

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 15:45 on Jun 9, 2020

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

My favorite comment was "the real villain was the audience we found along the way"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ugato posted:

Random speed traps are bad and designed to randomly gently caress over drivers with fines; having speed zones around schools be permanent is just going to make spots where cops post up to give massively inflated tickets.
Not sure how a permanent speed limit in a specifc, marked area is more of a speed trap than a variable speed limit in that same area, and if there are going to be places where cops post up to enforce speeding limits, I'd kinda rather it be near where small children are at risk for roaming into the street.

Besides, if they're always there, it's even less of a speed trap! Wow!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
"...who don't think [a giant megacorporation famous for exploiting workers] is far enough left..."

I genuinely wonder if Cooch knows words.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm actually still confused on how that speeds anything up from a customer perspective unless there's someone else who can serve you and take your money, at which point, why didn't they take your order to begin with.

It might not, but can create the perception of it to the customer. I'm just spitballing, but it might feel a lot faster (or feel like better customer service or whatever) to have the order taken immediately, wait five minutes, then get coffee/food instead of waiting five minutes, having order taken, and then getting coffee/food immediately (pretend all coffee/food is prepared instantaneously for this hypothetical). Even if it takes the exact same time, it might feel better to the customer the first way because not being waited on immediately feels like you're being ignored while the latter just feels like they're brewing you a fresh cup or whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

letthereberock posted:

I know it’s 2 years old and everything but it’s a weird trope of pretty much all budgeting articles and even books about personal finance and budgeting that is this assumption that people are giving WAY more of their income away to charity than literally d anyone I’ve ever met in my life.

Also yes - there are places in America where a 25 year old with no student loans can make 100k. Also there are places where you can rent an apartment for $825. Lol if you think there are any places where both of those are true.

Add in the "no student loans" part to the salary and it just becomes impossible short of being born to independently wealthy families which throws everything out the window anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

So this made me :stare: early this am. Red is a local paramedic, has been for a *LONG* time. Blue is a medical doctor and the county medical director for the fire/rescue service. Basically, he's the doctor that writes all the protocols (the stuff that paramedics are allowed to do, ie intubation, medication administration, etc.), runs the training, and is THE doctor that all paramedics and EMT's have to answer to if something happens in the back of the truck and you gently caress up. Lots of times where I'm at, a doctor will be the medical director for multiple agencies and counties; and let me tell you, that doctor always knows their poo poo backwards and forwards. So imagine my surprise when I read this foolishness

Just..... imagine having the loving balls to say that poo poo to someone who could end your entire career with one phone call. :stare: Incredible.

I am so curious to see how this goes, because, well, like you said, every doc I've ever met who ever did medical directorships for medical command services are insanely good at what they do.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

StillFullyTerrible posted:

so what is it about britain that makes their celebs decide to launch into self-destructive transphobic episodes
because it seems to happen oddly regularly there

They have a wildly popular message board/website that's a proto-facebook called mumsnet somehow even more filled with boomers than normal facebook.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cloacamazing! posted:

The main issue with that movie is how they made everyone white, but the blatant disregard for the rest of the source material is almost comical. If you haven't seen it, it's almost worth it for Tenar, the cheerful elementary school teacher of the Atuan priestesses of light and friendship.
...What the absolute gently caress.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read Howl in a very long time so I looked it up and now I very much want it to be the poem they were telling this woman. Like just imagine you're her, you just had sex with this dude, he's spooning you, he reaches over and softly brushes your hair away from your face and whispers, gently, into your ear,

Oh hey that's where the TMBG lyrics for "I should be allowed to think" come from.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

https://www.google.com/amp/s/acoup.blog/2020/01/17/collections-the-fremen-mirage-part-i-war-at-the-dawn-of-civilization/amp/

Who wants a multipart takedown of this really dumb meme/idea from a historian who can write pretty well? I did! So I'm sharing it here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

Don't get me wrong, the paris agreement is mostly toothless and not nearly enough to deal with climate chage, but Cruz's tweet is especially dumb since as soon as we left:

Also Pittsburgh's economy is primarily based around medicine, education, tech, and research now so I'm not sure why Cruz keeps insisting Pittsburgh is some kind of blue-collar gritty city powered entirely by manly sweat and grime since that hasn't been true for at least 30 years.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Pasty white guys don't usually get tattoos.

How else can we feel special and unique while also showing off our various in-group relationships?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just let the other person order first and then order the same thing for yourself.

Jesus Christ no, let the other person order first and then order a completely different thing so you can share.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boar guy posted:

it's just gauche to eat off of someone else's place, y'all

overly familiar to do it in public

Aw poo poo, gonna avoid eating some delicious food and trying new things because it might be gauche.

Swap plates if eating off a different plate bothers you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bismuth posted:

Yeah kinda I guess, I'm pretty sure they're the next step on the evolutionary line of people that thought they were reincarnated elves>otherkin>fictives>headmates>systems

I mean I get that "systems" are just the latest in this progression, but what the gently caress are systems? I stopped having an idea what was happening somewhere in the fictives/headmates era.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cult_hero posted:

If I recall, Thor Heyerdhal did the whole Con Tiki thing to prove that Oceanea was settled by peoples from South America, where it was determined via genetic findings that it was actually the other way around.

So really, yeah, people were likely in the Americas prior to the Bering Strait land bridge, but the truth is much more interesting and complex then just "we were here, we've always been here and if you say otherwise you're a racist".

Also there is a group of Polynesian navigators who basically showed Con Tiki was bullshit that way underestimated navigation techniques of the time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Trying to manage depression by stimulating endogenous endorphins from masturbating probably isn't doing you many favors either, at least as far as a long-term coping mechanism.

Also they clearly said it helped reduce the objectification of others, which is a good end even if the path they took wasn't necessarily the only or best one.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

But there is something I find very worrying about pure positivity all the time. It feels like a combination of masking ones own feelings that might lead to difficulty in the future.

Oh yeah it's terrible. At least the people I work with who are relentlessly cheerful and positive have the biggest meltdowns when their family doesn't do well, despite all the hospital staff telling them that they might not do well.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Apr 26, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

IBroughttheFunk posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people.

https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1421199737676513283

Wait what happened with Atwood?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

She told transphobes to gently caress off and that she didn’t support them.

Oh. Excellent. I was worried for a second.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

I guess the joke is just 'the only reason she'd have a bag like that is drugs'?

Those things are super useful for storing tiny parts that you don't want to get lost though. McMaster Carr sells them in packs of 100 for like $1.72

Yeah when I was regularly fencing I used a ton of those bags to store all of the various tiny fiddly parts for my epee for repairs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

:kstare: Amazing. First few lines made me think this was gonna be a standard "no fat chicks" rant from some 300lb incel, but it's so much worse. Where do these chucklefucks get their ideas from?

Yeah that one was a doozy!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc the skeletons we have of actual war archers show significant lopsided deformity on the favoured shoulder
The Mary Rose had several known archers on board when it sank and, besides giving us a source for some of the draw weight of longbows at the time, also yes, showed significant stress changes to the skeletons of the suspected archers. I thought it was more elbow damage than shoulder, but yeah it caused bone remodeling.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

I don’t think I could find it again sadly but I read an amazing Medium article or something by a math teacher who was just absolutely done with boomers and parents complaining about the “new math” and insisting kids should be learning their times tables with rote memorization. Her example was 1 + 1 = 2 and she explained a bunch of ways 1 + 1 didn’t always equal 2 and how modern math literacy prepared kids for learning that stuff in ways times tables never did. It was an amazing gently caress you to hidebound idiots.

I don't expect you or anyone to find that article but I'd love to read it if someone does find it or have it handy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

horror as a genre is like 300 years in the past or more. It's all vampires, christian demons and Victorian style ghost stories. The movement of contemporary horror to the likes of Chambers, Borges or Lovecraft has mostly stalled and remains confined to smaller films. This would have made horror stuck merely 120-100 years in the past.

It gets weird when it's stuff like Pazuzu, a Sumerian 'demon' that is acting like a christian demon and is also vulnerable to a catholic priests bullshit. They didn't even have google back then I don't know how they settled on that particular demon.

While some horror movies definitely have that, there are some excellent recent movies that really have no Christian influence at all. What are you talking about?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

gbut posted:

Doesn't anyone slap the jar from below anymore?

Only real 90s kids know this one trick!!!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Bell bottoms tried to make one of its periodic returns in the mid-1990's, and society shut that down real quick--even for a fashion fad. I've seen people scoff at the idea of the bell bottom while simultaneously wondering if JNCO will finally release a larger pair of pants, or one with more pockets.

Just walking around in one giant pocket.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/DCCockFoster/status/1456662589103034372?s=20

I literally can't tell if they are being sarcastic or not? My loving parents know what Pokemon cards are. My grandparents are all dead but I'm pretty sure a majority of them had some sort of awareness of Pokemon cards before they died.

Pretty sure they are trying to explain why NFTs are totally real and normal. They're just Pokemon cards! But digital! No I will not take further questions.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Borrovan posted:

On the other hand, the guy quoted is literally roleplaying as Jeffrey Dahmer

(my partner used to be a clinical psychologist specifically working mostly with serial killers/rapists, and this poo poo pisses her off, that is not how DID works)

E: gently caress it, needlessly inflammatory.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 12:39 on Nov 15, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'd read that story. gently caress that makes vaccines sound so cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'd basically figured out the Santa claus poo poo when I was younger but wasn't totally sure. So then my parents took me to see one of the professional Santas in a sweet wonderland thing and he asked me what I wanted and I told him about a Redwall book I wanted. What i didn't know was that it wasn't out in the states yet and so i ended up getting a UK edition. And my little brain figured it had to be real since my parents couldn't be Santa, since I hadn't told them! And getting a book from the UK was basically the same as getting it from the North Pole.

So yeah, that little stunt kept me believing in Santa for another year or two. Also it was a sweet Christmas present.

Ravenfood has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Dec 24, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

what? "frens" is dumb internet speak like "doge" or "hekkin." Do terminally online fash use it? Probably. You look like an even bigger dumb dumb if you start jumping at every "UwU" as crypto fascist signifiers because you once saw it used on 4chan

Nah, frens had a moment in the sun where people started overtly using it as a signifier on reddit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pyroclastic posted:

And since each mouth position constitutes a different NFT ape, they're infringing on the ownership of those particular apes who presumably aren't getting a cut.

I'm sure they just copied the image first so the video just uses a mere copy of the NFT'd art, not the actual unsullied piece itself.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Most seed-eating birds can remember the individual locations of several thousand caches and appear to understand that a cache that they were watched making is more likely to be stolen than one in which they were alone while making.

Albatross fly solo across the Pacific for months before returning to the same island at almost the exact same time as their mate, every year, for decades. Birds can do some smart poo poo depending on how you define "smart."

I often can't remember where my keys are unless I put them in the same place and need a calendar to remember most things.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I'm not up to date on women's athletics but a quick wiki of katie ledecky doesn't show her being trans so who is the trans athlete that is destroying the sport? because ledecky appears to hold the title of goat by a crushing margin.
Lia Thomas. And yes, one of many reasons it's all just manufactured stupidity.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I know that college sports are a big thing in America and all but do people actually care about college swimming? Swimming is afaik a sport people care about once every four years when the Summer Olympics come around.
They do not!

Well, not unless it can be used as a bludgeon against your enemies in a bullshit culture war then yeah its suddenly something you care deeply about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TrekBek posted:

I mean, one can safely assume that they wanted to, y'know. Win.
Michael Tracey demands you post the pdf where they actually say this.