Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Just found one in the wild. I just can't with these people. This was in response to a response to a gay Republican using Malcolm X's quotes about liberals as proof that the left is the real oppressor of black people.

That's quite a lot of words to say "Someone pointed out I was being racist and my feelings got hurt."

Also lol that the Civil Rights Movement was ok, but BLM is just going to far. I've seen so many people on social media wishing for the good 'ol days of the Civil Rights Movement and 2nd wave feminism. Back then, they weren't like these mouthy/pushy/criminal BLM and 3rd wave people. Nosiree, back in the 60s, people protested peacefully for actual injustice, and didn't inconvenience me at all because I wasn't born.

I wish I'd taken a screenshot, because I found someone on FB the other day arguing that 2nd wave feminism was fine and dandy, but 3rd wave feminism was equal to ISIS. Literally ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

That thread continues for 5 more tweets, all of which are extremely cursed. My favorites include "Develop a Vaccine by the End of 2020" (which you'll note is still his first term and also 2 loving months from now) and "Stop Endless Wars & Bring Troops Home" followed directly by "Maintain & Expand our Unrivaled Military Strength."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Yeah, I'm in Delaware right now, and the number of pro-Trump billboards is absolutely crazy. It's not because the state is going red, but because they're desperate to get anyone here to vote against Biden. It's not going to work here any more than it will in California.

(It doesn't help that all of the billboards are of Trump hugging a flag and making a weird face, for some reason.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even before Qanon stuff a bunch of old redditors found 4chan's dedicated racism board, /pol/, from the Trump subreddit

image from 2017:

God, that made me sad. The worst part was the person helpfully explaining how to search the site, how to lurk before posting, and oh yeah by the way don't ever tell anyone you're a woman.

Sunswipe posted:

I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a picture of Trump where his face looks normal.

I googled, but I can't find a picture of the ads that haven't been graffitied (lol). But it's this photo, where his face looks even weirder than normal:

Of all the millions of photos of him, that's the one they went with.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

I want to know how he thinks it backfired in 2018. Dems did great in the midterm election.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

The funniest part of this is the idea that people 16-28 will be using facebook to coordinate their attacks.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

wilderthanmild posted:

I like how it says Trump "Deputized" a bunch of the military. Like they're literally already in the army or whatever, what is he deputizing them into? The super secret army?

The John Birch Society.

(...only sort of kidding)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1324385598539399168

She blocked me when I asked if she's taken too many head injuries.

I swear to god, everyone who yaps about voter fraud and filming the vote counting needs to spend at least one presidential election working at a polling place. It's a room full of people making small talk while opening envelopes and looking up names on spreadsheets as quickly as possible. No one's thinking about who voted for who, you're thinking that you're really sick of scanning a list of Smiths and wish you could move to the W-Z names because those sound more interesting.

If you stopped to check every single mail-in to see who they voted for before chucking it through the scanner, we'd be announcing a winner sometime next June.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

9/10 times, the second someone mentions cultural appropriation online, you know you're in for a hot take. A white woman on my FB feed tried to argue the other day that white people wearing head coverings in bed to protect their hair at night was cultural appropriation. Completely ignoring POC people who were telling her she had no idea what she was talking about, and wearing sleep caps while sleeping =/= appropriating black culture. One black lady pointed out that she was being a little racist, assuming that all black people had the same type of hair, and ofc was immediately dogpiled on by a ton of white people.

And then the same white people go to a New Age shop and spend $150 on "Indian crystals" that are totally used by Navajo medicine men to erase evil spirits in your gallbladder or whatever.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

there wolf posted:

Diversity as a positive thing in advertising has been around for decades at this point, and normalized enough that even racists just roll their eyes at 'political correctness' and move on if they see a black family representing all families in a major ad campaign. If a product or company has never used a person of color in an ad before, they'll get some poo poo for it, but right now bigots are more inclined to get huffy about Latino, Muslim, Gay, and interracial families. The last ad melt-down I remember was Coca cola doing some national diversity pablum with the Spangled Banner where one line was sung in Spanish.

I think I remember that, was it a Super Bowl commercial? People melted down because they got "political."

I was so confused when when people get mad at that Cheerios commercial, and then I remembered that ~50 years ago, interracial relationships were still illegal (and punishable) in large portions of the US. I'm not saying boomers are more racist than other age groups...but they still remember a time when being openly racist was commendable in most social circles.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but driving through backcountry CA I got to listen to a radio host giving a sermon on how Jesus wasn't a peace-loving pansy like liberals would have you believe. He was a man's man who rolled up his sleeves and put the fear of god into people.

So yes, they 100% believe that the sermon on the mount has been twisted by the liberal agenda.

Furthermore, the needle's eye refers to the gate in Jerusalem that...

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the classics.

For fun, I tried to see if I could think of anybody I know who's a millennial and lives alone. Went through college friends, work friends, cousins...absolutely no one. Even the married couples live with roommates half the time.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Goddamn, that looks dire. I don't know what Kate Hudson's been up to recently, but surely Leslie Odom Jr. doesn't have any lack of projects to choose from.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

"Instinctively generous and open-minded man" :psyduck:

Yeah, he blocked pro-LGBT+ legislation for 8 years and sent soldiers to countries we're still oppressing 19 years later, but remember that apocryphal story where he was decent to a woman who transitioned?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Imagine getting angry at the person joking about a political figure instead of being angry at the political figure who is literally big game hunting in Africa for fun.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Comparing ADHD and autism to major depressive disorder is comparing non-mood disorders disorders with mood disorders. It's just not going to line up. As someone mentioned, mood disorders by definition impact your quality of life, whereas other behavioral disorders don't necessarily. If you like your life with OCD/ADHD/etc, that's awesome. But it's not going to be the same for 99% of people who have major depressive disorder, anxiety disorders, or other mood disorders.

(Not directing this at you, PP, or anyone in particular. Being comfortable with yourself and living a happy life is pretty much the dream.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

letthereberock posted:

Why the gently caress is it ALWAYS lattes? Surely there are numerous different things people waste their money on?

“Priced out of the housing market? Maybe stop buying so many Walking Dead Funko Pops!”

(It’s like there are still people who never got over the trauma of the 90s and learning there is more than one way to drink coffee.)

At least it's not avocado toast. That one was a popular hang up for some time

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Reminds me of that woman claiming to run a 4 minute mile. Just grabbing a shovel and digging themselves deeper.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mr.Radar posted:

Yes, banning child marriage is a pedophile plot :thunk: (in case you don't get it: the P in "LGBTP" stands for pedophilia and is attempt to bring back the age-old slander against the LGBT community that they support pedophilia :shepface:)

That's even more bonkers. I guess child marriage could refer to both boys and girls getting married off, in which case it wouldn't be pedophile...but I know in my heart that they're referring to adult men having child brides, and don't consider that pedophile because it's only pedophile OUTSIDE of marriage.

Just typing that makes me want to heave.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

kirbysuperstar posted:

I have no idea if this is even the right thread for this.

https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1330580226498293761

If you just looked at the preview and didn't click on the link, you're seriously missing out.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's weird because where I grew up in the Philly burbs, my Catholic education and the Catholics I knew were all left of the dial politically speaking. Then I realized if they weren't that, American Catholics are all weirdo trad caths who should really just pull a mike pence and convert to being evangelicals.

For some reason all of the practicing Catholics I know are also from eastern PA (a good mix of Main Line and Pennsyltucky) and they're all pretty leftist. The older generation is really against abortion, though, and will vote based on that alone.

there wolf posted:

Conservatives adopted anti-abortion policies to break the liberal stronghold in American Catholicism. It's been a supply line for lovely Evangelical politics ever since, and the church leaders in the US have no interest in stopping it.

There was a fascinating article that I read a while back that of loving course I can't find now. I'm probably forgetting a lot of the nuance, but it basically said that once the Civil Rights Movement really got going and it was no longer cool to be openly racist and segregationist, conservatives needed something else to rally their troops. So they came up with the issue of abortion.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

i vomit kittens posted:

e: I had to keep editing this because he put his full name and phone number in like 3 different places

Either this guy want to pull a Scott Peterson or he wants his wife to voluntarily leave him. Yikes.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

bony tony posted:

That's the beauty of it, the mark of the beast is so vague that it can mean anything.

It's almost like Revelation is a metaphorical and allegorical text or something!

The best one I've seen is that the element Carbon has 6 protons, 6 electrons, and 6 neutrons, therefore Carbon = 666. By breathing in carbon dioxide, you're breathing in Satan, so masks are the sign of the beast.

These are the same people ten years ago who were saying that Obama was the antichrist because O is the 15th letter of the alphabet, and if you add the numbers of these three Revelation verses, they equal 15. Also, if you add the number of chalices to the number of trumpets, and divide by the number of plagues in Exodus...

Biblical numerology is a crazy rabbit hole.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Dewgy posted:

My mom just got sent a huge insane rant about vaccines from someone whose uncle and stepdad died from COVID. We are, frankly, too stupid to live.

I found out that my extended family -- in LA of all places! -- had a huge super spreader Christmas celebration while my grandma was in the hospital dying of COVID. You'll be shocked to learn that half of them now have COVID.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

SpudCat posted:

Was there some popular parenting book boomer parents got this poo poo from? While not quite as elaborate or bean-oriented, my dad liked to do this sort of thing too. Questions that should have taken less than 5 minutes ending up being multi-hour lessons on first principles.

Surprisingly I do not look back fondly on these experiences, and the lessons I learned were probably not the ones intended.

Socratic Method, but understanding it poorly.

It pairs perfectly with "What?? You don't know how to use this/pronounce this word/figure out this thing it would take me 5 seconds to teach you? I'm going to keep repeating this in an astounded tone without helping you."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
In case anyone was wondering the context of that racist tweet, this is the beginning of the ramblings:

https://twitter.com/johnroderick/status/332971115335020544

Looks like the woman he was replying to changed her account name, but 5 seconds of google stalking reveals that she's a pretty liberal. I'd like to think that it was a sarcastic conversation, but he seems like an asshat no matter what.

e: he literally deleted the account while I was posting. See screenshots below.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Jan 3, 2021

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is not specifically about Anti Semetic Bean Dad, but can also be related to his case.

It is amazing to me that so much of this twitter/social media etc. drama could be avoided if the main characters just said "Whoops, I said something stupid/wrong/offensive. I understand why you are mad at me, and I'm sorry I did that. I'll try not to do it in the future."

I mean it wouldn't absolve them of their crimes, depending on how egregious the twitter crime was, but it would go a long way. It would also show that you are a mature adult prepared to admit wrongdoing and atone for it.

Instead these self important fuckknobs double down and keep digging a hole for themselves, and end up showing themselves to be worse people than the initial incident implied.

How hard is it for these people to just apologize sincerely? I mean, if you didn't intend the offence, (and lets be very generous and say that you didn't know it would be offensive), at the very least you know you made someone else feel bad. So say sorry like a grown up and don't do it again.

While I agree with what others have said, Twitter also doesn't reward assholes for apologizing. At most, you'll get a bunch of replies telling you that it's too little too late, or that you're not sincere. Or people retweeting you to make fun of the fact that you apologized.

If assholes are going to be criticized no matter what they do, most of them will choose to double down.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
The horribly depressing thing is, while most of that is clearly bullshit, the "some were allowed in" part is true. At least one video shows police actually moving the metal barriers and letting people in.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Someone in the replies points out that Fox News also made the mistake and ran B roll of elections in Georgia (the country) while discussing elections in Georgia (the state). I don't know how the hell you confuse your videos from the international camera crew with footage from the local camera crew, but here we are.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Unlike Matt Gaetz, Matt Gertz is not the idiot.

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1347163406781079555

Chud, internet-illiterate idiot, or both? You decide!

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Syd Midnight posted:

That's why the word "heritage" is a huge dog whistle. Heritage is what you inherit, by very definition it's something you neither earn nor deserve. Like skin color, it's something predetermined that is handed down at birth so that it's impossible to gently caress up.

It's one of those big red flags like "liberty", "values", "wisdom", and "truth", that appear in a name to indicate something is pretty much the opposite of what that word is supposed to evoke.

The "heritage" people argue that because marginalized people are proud, THEY should be able to proud of their cis/straight/whiteness. Of course that ignores the fact that "black is beautiful" and "loud and proud" etc came about because those were things to be ashamed of for so long. It's not so much pride in your skin color, it's a refusal to be ashamed of not matching the westernized standard of beauty. I can get behind that 100%.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Vib Rib posted:

A ton of people around where I live still like it, so it can't be that out of fashion.

It was really popular with zoomers a couple years ago where I live, but it's petering out again now that high waists are back. Of course no one's complaining about black people and their high-rise jeans. Fashion's cyclical, but racism stays the same.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

VinylonUnderground posted:

He's talking about the sexuality of boys and men though. That's entirely different from the sexuality of women and girls. Boys can indulge in a little pederasty, as a treat, before they move on to having sex with girls and women. Girls and women though? I suspect he expects them to remain chaste.

This is literally the plot to Brideshead Revisited.

Boys who have sex with boys? Cool. Men who have sex with men? Bad. Men who have sex outside of marriage? Not great, but redeemable. Women who have sex outside of marriage? HELLFIRE.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Len posted:

Isn't A Wonderful Life only a thing because it bombed super hard and the tv rights were real cheap?

That and the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. Both had big-name celebrities and were dirt cheap to license because they were box office duds.

Probably why movies like Proof of Life and 50 First Dates were always on when I had cable. (I also remember seeing the last half hour of Fight Club probably a dozen times before I decided to actually sit down and watch the whole thing.)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

If you can watch several episodes of any sitcom from the 90s you can watch pretty much any older black and white American film. The pacing and acting isn't that different, and the stakes are usually about the same level too. Film techniques and language has changed, but how we understand story has been fairly consistent. Anyone who refuses to watch movies before some arbitrary date just doesn't want to engage their brains.

People also don't think about the fact that 99% of the movies that came out pre -1975 (or whatever arbitrary year that guy chose) aren't classics and haven't endured past their original theater run. The 40s gave us Citizen Kane and Casablanca, but it also had a ton of singing cowboys and crap like "Frankenstein vs Wolf Man and Zombie Girl". It's like comparing the pacing and acting in Brick to that of Transformers 4 or something.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Proof of Life is a fantastic fun movie.

I'm sure it's great, it was just always on. Same with The Mummy, which is a classic.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Trevor Hale posted:

The goon infiltration of Patriot Book was really eye opening for me. It was a collection of people who just wanted to be mad. There was no, like, normal activity. Everything related back to how much liberals suck. No one posted, liked, hey. Hit up a new taco joint. It was good.
I joined that rush back in the day (or maybe it was a Tea Party facebook knock off? Was there more than one?) and remember it was all Boomers going on and on about how no one showed them the respect they were entitled to. They were obsessed with how young Zuckerberg was, like to a creepy extent. I don't know if it was jealousy or some weird authoritarian brainworms, but the fact that someone younger than them was telling them what they could and couldn't post on FB loving enraged them. They didn't want to swap recipes or make friends, they just wanted to take their ball and go home and bitch about it.

(Note that they didn't have a problem with any of the terrible things Zuckerberg was saying or doing, and they didn't care about other billionaires at all. Just that he was a "kid" who had some sort of authority over them.)

I suspect a good deal of them are on Parler now, complaining that Jack hasn't lived through at least two world wars.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Data Graham posted:

I think she's talking about the thing where someone finishes your sentence for you as soon as they think they realize how you're going to end it.

One person I knew did that all the time and it drove me batty, I kept trying to think of clever ways to rephrase the end of every sentence from what was "obvious" in order to throw them off

"I think we'll be able to finish the project by the end of the weeORLD"

My whole family does that, so I thought it was the norm for years until I was like 20 and someone told me to shut the gently caress up.

It's supposed to be like "I agree with you so much that we're thinking the same thing" but unless you're around other people who naturally do it, it's incredibly rude.

E: Not jewish, no idea if it's a cultural thing or not

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Feb 22, 2021

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Nuclear War posted:

Definitely not trying to be offensive or anything but is there such a thing as a unified jewish culture in the (somewhat secular ish at least) diaspora? I haven't known many Jewish people, but they were more coloured by their home state or country than had much in common behaviour wise i would think

Sorry, I wasn't trying to paint people of all religion/ethnicity with one brush. I was just echoing the wording of the video where she explained it as "what's accepted by my culture." I'm not a part of the culture she's talking about, so I can't really speak to it.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

PetraCore posted:

At least for mine it was a genuinely fun summer camp where we just had to go to sermon every morning. Anything more than that feels like pulling teeth.

My local VBS wasn't too bad either -- when I hit 13 I got to be a junior counselor or whatever they called them, which meant I got paid to watch the kids play tag. One year was bug-themed, and we got to play with hissing cockroaches. It was a really chill church, so I was probably lucky.

Actual Bible camp on the other hand was the worst. Once you got to a certain age you could choose what kind of program you wanted to join. Every year I'd pick a new one: horse riding, rock band, wilderness survival, etc trying to figure out which had the least amount of sermons. (The answer was none of them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

PhazonLink posted:

I want to be in the timeline where nazis learn that potatos are a new world / non white crop and then start boycotting a bunch of non euro crops in the only way they know how.

I don't remember which conservative grifter it was, but there was at least one who was dating a guy that wouldn't eat food unless it was traditionally Anglo-Saxon. Like, he wouldn't eat ketchup because tomatoes were a new world fruit.