Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

"Tits McGee" is an alt-right troll account.

No she's not?

https://twitter.com/scientits?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess I just don't understand what people think George Soros' evil ultimate goal is? To my knowledge he doesn't run for office, and if he wanted to influence politics (more) he certainly has enough money that he could likely influence the president right now directly? I guess it is the same thing with Covid and Bill Gates. These people have for all intents and purposes near infinite money, so what is the end game they are angling for?

To kill half the worlds population duh. That's what the 5G Kill network is for.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

On another note it's always funny when older celebrities claim that shows are "afraid to take risks" because what they mean is "less willing to punch down by making fun of marginalised groups" In what way are Steven Universe having the first animated gay wedding, a musical comedy exploring all facets of mental illness and a Satanist take on Sabrina the Teenage witch "afraid to take risks"?

This was triggered because of a youtube video where Known Scottish Garbage Pile Frankie Boyle was claiming "TV is afraid to take risks now". If anything it's become more emboldened to tell more interesting stories.

You should also consider that Frankie is in the UK so using the example is an American cartoon you need to subscribe to see is probably a poor example. Also lol if you think Sabrina is edgy but even then it's on Netflix who'll commission pretty much anything.

The state of mainstream TV in the UK is absolute garbage.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

OP isn't the idiot

Are you sure about that?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Piss Meridian posted:

Some dice are just racist :shrug:

D&D is inherently racist, that's why you need to select some especially racist dice to play it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RandomFerret posted:

Wait til you find out what they call dish soap. I'm gay as springtime but I'd still have a tough time cleaning my plates with fairy liquid.

Fairy liquid logo is also a naked baby for some reason.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

"Emotions are feminine ladeedah"

gently caress the gently caress off, most wars were fought over a bunch of super hetero man getting overly upset about something or wanting to get laid. Men are extremely emotional and I'm so goddamn sick of this poo poo. Y'all get violent over the dumbest poo poo, just loving own up to it already.

Sorry it's only an emotion if it's felt by a woman, otherwise it's just sparkling anger.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

You don't have freeze pops where you come from? Those liquid-in-plastic things you stick in the freezer? Or the slightly posher versions in wax-paper cones?

We always called those ice polls, never had the wax paper cones ones.

Lolly's make perfect sense though. Lollipops -> Ice Lollipops -> Ice Lollys -> Lollys. It's popsicle that makes no sense.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Also popsicle is a genericized trademark, so you'd think it would catch on in the land of the "hoover"

I may be wrong here but I'm not sure the Popsicle ever made it here, I've certainly never seen a Popsicle branded thing. Which might be why it never caught on. Whereas Hoover was the dominant brand in vacuum cleaners in the UK.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Piss Meridian posted:

I mean....Germans are white, mostly.

Erm....I mean true but?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

This is my favourite response

TERF's attempts to 'gotcha' Margret Atwood are pretty sad really. Oh she supports trans rights? Well 9 years ago you sent a message to Maxwell on twitter so guess you're a paedophile now, if only she had said Trans people were subhuman like they wanted her to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hooman posted:

I don't understand the clownfish thing with Margaret Atwood. Is it some Finding Nemo reference?

If I had to guess I would say it's because Clownfish change their sex through their life. They are all born male then one becomes female.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ugato posted:

Random speed traps are bad and designed to randomly gently caress over drivers with fines; having speed zones around schools be permanent is just going to make spots where cops post up to give massively inflated tickets.

I've got one weird trick, cops hates it, for you that means you'll never get a speeding ticket again!

Don't speed!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

That's Scottish too, just not the pantomime Trainspotting dialect Scots twitter pretends to post in.

The Scottish twitter thing is a bit of a mix, a lot of it is affected but theres a decent number of folk that do type like that normally.

Being from Falkirk I obviously do not have an accent. But people from England still think I'm from the moon.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I think it's more that she's hit that rarefied Madonna air where she needs to be in the eye of the public storm and everyone has to have their take on her for her career to sustain, so she's always finding new angles. She ran the insecurity train into a ditch 2 years ago, so it's been experimentation since.

You mean when she was a young woman barely out of her teens she was a bit insecure and now what she's older she's a bit more confident and prepared to experiment musically?

How weird and rare, you're right must be an act.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

I mean, you could just let the individual prove whether they can or cannot accomplish something without setting broad restrictions that prevents people from even being able to try. But why would anyone bother with that when it's easier to categorize and limit people based on their chromosomes.

And if a woman looks too masculine in your opinion? Force her to take genetic testing or ban her from participating!

That's exactly what happened to Caster Semenya.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The late Victorian holocausts occurred during the same period as well, and were hundreds of times larger.

The reason the shoah or the nazi holocaust was The Holocaust was because it was the first time ethnic cleansing was fully enacted by an industrialized nation. That's the big historical line, that sounds important to this, an anime.

The Late Victorian holocausts accounts for some 60 Million people and are large enacted by inaction rather an conscious effort. The Holocaust killed 17 million people, and generally actively killed them. Not sure who you're counting in the late Victorian holocausts to get them up to 1.7+ billion people mind you.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Disagree, unless by inaction you mean 'deliberate inaction'. The Brits were bug fans of "let's do nothing, and if that ethnic group dies off, it's better for the Empire anyway", and they weren't the only one.

Oh it was absolutely deliberate.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Spud fever.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The US is still building its class system really. They have the underclass and serfs down. They're just building their aristocracy. The aristocracy essentially starts out with inherited wealth and power and continues on that line, inherited wealth like Trump's, inherited power like George W Bush etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Yeah I get that hearing from a black Muslim woman director can offer a new perspective, but there are plenty of works of fiction and documentaries exploring similar themes without feeling the need to show 12 year old girls twerking in skin tight clothing.

Saying we don't need films that explore this topic because other films already exist is a weird take really. The things the girls are doing in this movie are not created out of fictions, girls are doing these kind of things every single week up and down the country. It's a relevant film talking about an issue relevant to these times. Saying oh well Lolita exists so there was no need for them to make this etc gives people this way out by saying 'oh it's ok that was in the past'

We're now stuck in this hellworld where someone making a film about sexualisation of children is called a paedophile because that's easier than thinking for a moment about how hosed up society is.

Netflix really hosed up the marketing of the film but lets not kid ourselves, the whole outrage is fabricated to give people a chance to call a Muslim woman a paedophile.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Cultural appropriation is inherently negative. This is when you misuse an element of cultural significance, like a Native American head dress or a Scottish clan tartan or Pacific Islander face tattoos. Anything that contains personal or tribal history as part of its expression. Things that would be a crime if the appropriated party had any ability to enforce it, like how stolen valor or even copying the Burberry pattern without a license is very illegal.

The weird thing about Clan Tartans is that's it's cultural appropriation in it's entirety. They simply didn't exist before the 19th Century and were invented for the burgeoning tourist industry in Scotland. Writers like Walter Scott invented a lot of the 'history' of Scotland. Your Clan Whatever tartan was invented to sell to tourists.

As Billy Connolly once said, Scotland is the only country in the world where people buy their own tourist tat.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

luxury handset posted:

it's fine to eat raw honey, the main benefit to processing is to remove bits of wax and dead bee. pasteurization extends the shelf life too. but honey is one of those things that most people can eat directly from nature, if you can figure out how to deal with the angry bees

I never pasteurise my honey basically because I don't have an easy way to do it. But I would say that it does not increase its shelf life. Honey that's not from rape seed will remain pretty stable for years. You only pasteurise it to make it safe for infants or the elderly. Through good bee handling you can prevent botulism a lot anyway.

It reminds me of the story of them opening a tomb in Egypt and finding a pot of 3000 year old honey, opening it and finding it was still good. Only after eating some of it did they investigate further and find the remains of a child in the jar.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Oct 5, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Do adverts on Social Media count?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I was taught that the advantage of a democracy was that you get to kick people out of ruling.

I can see the failing in the US education system if you think the distinction is Democracy vs Monarchy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I live near downtown in one of the top 5 largest cities in the US - a place you'd ostensibly think would have plenty of polling locations - and in the primary this year, not even the real election, I was in line for 7 hours. The GoP makes it as hard as they possibly can for people to vote because their demographics are generally older, wealthy, white people who are free to take 3-5 hours off in the middle of the day to vote or are retired.

What in the world? 7 hours to vote? How normal is that in the US?

Here pretty much every primary school becomes a polling center so there's always one nearby you just walk in and vote, I've never even heard of there being a queue.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

You must live in a mostly white

I live in Scotland... So yup.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

cult_hero posted:

Potatoes are from the Americas, obviously too occidental for the alt-right. Maybe turnips?

By the by, potatoes are the best vegetable.

If you're trying to claim that potatoes are not traditional British food then you've got some really wonky ideas about what makes food traditional.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

snergle posted:

the british is bad at food stuff is just a meme from ww2 like the french love surrendering. france kicked the poo poo out of everyone in europe twice. they won or lost tons of wars. but because they surrendered in ww2 everyone is like lol surrender monkies. britain had to ration food in ww2 and so they had poo poo food.

The French not being surrender monkeys is a huge reason USA is even a thing, which makes it extra ironic when Americans keep using the meme.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Edit: It also wouldn’t prove that employees weren’t being treated like poo poo.

They're absolutely being treated like poo poo. I do career fairs and mentoring for people entering Software Engineering and one of the first things I tell people is do not go into game development. You get paid below market rate to do lovely work in an endless crunch. Rockstar once gave people a holiday and a bunch of money so everyone just rolls the dice that they might do that again. They will not.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Marcus Rashford is a soccer player that's been campaigning to end child hunger in the UK; he got an MBE for it this month, while a campaign to extend free school lunches over the school holidays was being debated in British parliament.

The Tories stomped on that bill, as Tories are wont to do, and people are understandably loving pissed. This journalist's saying that people should donate to a charity that Rashford supports for this, thus completely missing the point and getting torn apart in the replies because... you know, the government should probably be doing something to solve the crisis, given that the money required to do so is small beans on the 'national funding' scale (1.4 million pounds).

Some additional context in case you're not British. Children of families on low income get free school meals, this is a big part of the social welfare planning and very important for those families that are really struggling. Because of COVID those kids were not going to school so did not get the free meals, adding additional costs onto the families that can afford it the least. The government started to issue vouchers to those parents that qualified to get food to replace the free school meals.

So Marcus Rashford, the footballer here, got involved in the campaign and made the government back down and issue free school meal vouchers to parents over the summer holidays as well. This is the continuation of that campaign to try to make the government keep doing this over other holidays. The parents cannot afford enough food during term time, so obviously they cannot afford enough during the holidays.

Unless you're a Tory in which case you think this situation is fine.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Those are mspaint shoes at best

She has done boots as well. It's all explained in that thread.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

She's a horse person, they're all broken inside in some way.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I bet some are fake, but not all of them.

Betting on elections is illegal in the US but someone in the UK bet $5 million on a Trump victory.

Betfair have said £271 million has been wagered on the result so far

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

I never understood why wearing a mask is so emasculating anyway?

Did these people think that surgeons were pussies for wearing masks during surgery? Coz the reason normal people wear masks in public is the same, (to prevent spreading/causing infection to vulnerable people).

Seriously though, besides the politicisation of the disease, why is wearing a mask unmanly?

It's because wearing a mask is admitting your body is not strong enough to cope with the virus. Same reasoning about not wearing helmets on bikes and not using the safety on guns.

A true manly man would simply brush off the virus like it was no big deal.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Imagine what the comments would be if Sainsbury's had a mixed race family.

The sketch show Famalam made a joke about this, the mixed race couple used to sell products. So it's already a joke in the BAEM community to some extent because of how common it is.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Are the stereotypes the same about black people in the UK as the US? I never knew there was black vs white racism on a large scale in the UK like there is here, although I don't know why I thought that. Most of the racism I always hear about there is against Indians.

They're very similar really, it's just that we don't have many black people so we need to spread it around a bit. Hence we're racist about Asians and the Chinese as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's possible to both be mad at the war machine that pressures kids into joining it and also say that choosing to join that war machine is a fundamentally immoral action no matter what the pressure is.

Immoral to those who can afford to have morals like that. It's very easy to sit in a position of privilege and say 'It's immoral to accept money from the Army'. Its quite a different thing to be the guy growing up on a housing estate, no education, no job prospects and turning down someone saying they'll take you out of there and give you a trade.

Morality is always dependent on what you can afford in a capitalist hell world.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

T-man posted:

im a college dropout with agorophobia, a homeless mother, and serious mental health issues (i post on somethingawful). don't discredit the millions of us who chose differently even in the same dire straits. i don't hate you for choosing otherwise, but i will not say what you did was moral, nor that you truly could not have chosen otherwise.

Well done you for meeting your own moral standard then. I'm not discounting anyone who tries to live to a moral standard like that. The choice to join the army may not be moral to me, but might be to them given the position that society has put them in.

There are literally adverts on the TV right now telling you if you live in a shittty Welsh Town then just join the navy, it'll make you a man. You're asking a child to make a choice against everything society is telling him will make him a man and a success. That's a lot to put on a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

sugar mouse posted:

Edit: yeah double checked but this is absolutely the case. Unless you had some strange idea of your children being debt free in university (only for the very rich) they'd only be in the same position as everyone else that goes here.

The UK system absolutely does make it easier to go to university for some people, those people being the middle class.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Nov 29, 2020