Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Carl Sagan always struck me, from his various books, as a nerdy stoner type.

I hope Carl'd be fairly chill on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/conspiraboomers/status/1248077895857254405?s=20

I'm pretty sure I'd get in trouble if I tried to give a kid flour, water, yeast and salt as separate ingredients.

You also shouldn't inject yourself with mashed potato.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

What?????

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really a lot of writing we hold up as the pinnacle of western writing was the dime store trash of its day.

Which makes sense as dime store trash is what civilization is all about.

This. Humans really haven't changed a lot in the past couple thousand of years. I read a lot of classic literature, partly because I'm an English major, but I'd never imply it's somehow better and more literary than a lot of the modern stuff on my shelves.

Beowulf, man. Beowulf is the blockbuster action hero of his era. There's a bit in Beowulf that mentions he's so strong that he breaks swords. Every English literature overview class starts with Beowulf and his fatal arm wrestling match with Grendel, despite the fact that old English is a Germanic dialect and is not intelligible with modern English.

Some stories are serious and some are fun trash, and we like both. Both are valuable. Both are human.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like muppets and I refuse to use it as an insult.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Anyone with those dumb memes that end with "Oh my son had bottles thrown at him and he hasn't even left the house yet!" deserves to have them all forwarded to CPS, see him explain to them that "Oh I'm not really abusing my child, it's just a joke!" Just send every red flag he posts at once.

"lol I abuse my child" is definitely a... revealing (?) punchline.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

https://twitter.com/jadoba/status/1250980804156686336

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Same

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

professor metis posted:

edit: actually in the replies to that tweet I'm noticing a second strain of idiocy in some of the people arguing against him:

I love it when people who don't understand phylogeny try to correct people on phylogeny.

I've also run into "cockatoos aren't parrots" a couple of times.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Part of me kind of appreciates the openness of the findom hustle, but also once someone anonymously put $50 in my PayPal account when I was struggling a bit between jobs and I cried, so I might not be cut out for "pay me to be mean to you."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have a waffle iron, I have bread and cheese. I have never thought of making grilled cheese on the waffle iron.

Now I am.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Butter goes in the freezer until I need it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've seen a lot of people complain that COVID only has a 1% fatality rate (though that seems like a questionable statistic), but not nearly enough people pointing out that 1% of the world is seventy million people.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This is my favourite comment to bread Karen:

They are eating the bread, Karen!!!!!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I keep reading binet not as bi-net, but bin-et. Not sure if it rhymes with bidet or if it's like binette.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, like, Lovecraft was really really loving good at writing skin-crawling, existential horror, largely because that was his whole mental landscape. Dude wrote about fear because he was afraid of everything. A large part of his own personal existential horror was built on horrifying racism, and once you realise that this reflects in his work, often metaphorically, then that colours his work for you. Either you reject him entirely, or you can take it as it is and enjoy the skin crawling horror while examining the horrific racism with a grain of salt.

The dude's dead. He isn't getting royalties any more, and there's nothing to be gained from boycotting him. You can enjoy the existential horror of Innsmouth and "oh god they're fish people oh god I'm also a fish people" on a surface level without guilt. If you don't want to engage with miscegenation metaphors, you don't need to, because that's not really a necessary part of enjoying the story. If you'd rather just take the story as a flavour of "unnatural hybrid" style body horror, you can do that, because that's not a wrong interpretation.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The video is real good, honestly.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

About 20 years ago, on the advice of an experienced female co-worker I really respected, I bought and read this book. It really lost me around the sex cult part. I continually ignored my growing confusion and distaste up until then, including an uneasy acceptance of Jubal Harshaw's extremely hard to believe sex-kitten commune, but the sex cult straight up disgusted me. I finished the book but assumed my dislike of the thing had more to do with my "not getting it" than it being the jerk-off fantasy of its author, melded with the hippie-dippie bullshit of its time.

This is how I briefly got into Heinlein. I hit Stranger in A Strange Land about midway through my Heinlein arc and loved the concept, and hated where it went.

The book where I decided to shelve Heinlein forever was Friday.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but every time some lingual expert describes the mouth and tongue shape required to make a certain word, my own reaction is just a whole lot of question marks. Is that what I'm doing?? Is that what everyone is doing??? But no one ever teaches you how to hold your mouth to make a certain sound, you have to figure it out on your own???? What even is human language???????

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Personally I really like "queer" as a self descriptor because of the implication of just weirdness, which I cannot deny in any area of my life, and also sometimes the hyper-categorization of sexualities and gender identities actually unsettles me because having to categorize myself according to other people's definitions feels weird. My sexuality? Queer. My gender? Queer.

On the other hand, my mom's wife has a very visceral reaction to the word because she associates it with homophobia. So I don't use it in conversations with her. It's. Complicated.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zesty posted:

Is that intentional? He could genuinely be interested in that book. Otherwise I don't think it's unfair for him to take a shot at someone who announced her breakup on a patreon post before telling him.

I mean, I'll believe he's genuinely reading the book and finding it useful, while also believing he might've let that be public because he's running out of fucks to give.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The grocery store I work in ran out of flowers. At one point there was nothing but tulips, and then those sold too.

For me, this meant when walking back to my department after a break I came around a corner near floral and had a large man step directly into my path and bark, "HEY. FLOWERS."

He was not pleased when the answer was "let's walk six steps back to the tulips you had to have walked past and oh yeah this is it. This is literally all the flowers in the store. Yes, really."

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm stuck on Mario not being a real game. Mario.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I had a few lectures in my evolutionary biology class this year about how in the animal kingdom females are almost universally pickier about mates because they're investing more. Eggs are expensive to make, sperm is cheap and is basically some DNA with a propeller. For mammals, pregnancy and nursing are added costs.

There are notable exceptions to "women are pickier," but they tend to be species where males have the bulk of parental care, where females do things like lay eggs and then gently caress off. Not a mammal thing, generally, but birds and fish sometimes.

Anyway I thought a bit about incels during those lectures and how they're like a peacock showing up and refusing to display to a peahen and then trying to fight her when she won't mate with him because he hasn't given her any reason to.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

There are more people of Irish extraction outside of Ireland than in, so I'm not unique in that being part of my ancestry, but it annoys me so much when "the Irish were slaves" gets brought up. I think it's like, stop dragging me into this.

The history of Ireland is a terrible one with a lot of abhorrent colonialism practiced on them by the British, but the obscenities they experienced under British rule did not include chattel slavery or the middle passage. Also, notably, Irish people are now seen as white and are socially acceptable immigrants, unlike those brown people. I can brag about how my great grandad came to Canada from Ireland and that's seen as something admirable, even if he was seen as scum then. Slave-descended black Americans don't have that at all, because they're still stuck in being widely considered to be subhuman.

But how do you begin to argue with someone who is that goddamn wrong from the starting gate?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My youngest sister was the result of an entirely accidental "oops I'm forty and my birth control failed" pregnancy. They were really open about that fact. Also, they kept her.

My mom also spent the late 70s/early 80s volunteering for a group that did sex ed and also helped arrange abortions for Albertan women who needed them, which at the time meant flying them into Colorado.

These are not contradictory facts.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I found out a year or two ago my grandma would help women in Washington state get abortions in the 60s and 70s, which meant taking them on "a shopping trip" to Vancouver BC.

Yeah, I only found out about my mom's work a few years ago, over Christmas dinner. Turns out her experience with that group is part of the reason she volunteered to teach a sex ed class in my Sunday school. Age appropriate but still a fully correct lesson, because it was a very left wing church. I was like, jeez mom why didn't you ever mention this before, it's not a deep dark secret anymore.

I know this is the most unimportant conversation in this thread right now but trying to engage my brain to say anything about (fully justified and probably a long time coming) race riots during a global plague is just. Not working. My brain slides off the topic entirely. I can't engage with it because I have no words to use. I'm just angry, and sad, but I've been angry and sad about a lot of things lately, and I'm... tired. I'm just so goddamn tired of being angry and sad.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm like. Super loving blonde and neither of my parents were even remotely blonde. Recessive traits don't go extinct. If they did, cystic fibrosis and Tay Sachs and other autosomal recessive disorders would not be a thing. We could live in the most perfectly post-racial society imaginable and you'd still have their precious blue eyes and blonde hair popping up here and there.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Last time I had to use Moodle, it loving sucked.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

She seems like someone it would be fun to be friends with.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My cockatiels are definitely not Christian. I think at least one of them is a Satanist.

But fortunately for him, I'm cool with that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Argh. Yes, we can say they were not built by slaves. They were built by craftsmen and by peasants who were unable to work their land because of the seasonal flooding of the Nile. The pyramids were a government work program for people who would otherwise not be able to farm and would starve. We know this because people wrote poo poo down, and we know how to read ancient Egyptian at least that well. The Egyptians were around for a real long time, an empire spanning three thousand years. They were not loving around.

Apparently at one point the workers went on strike because they weren't getting enough eyeliner, which was supposed to be part of their payment. I love this fact.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

These dudes seem to be under the impression that women lie about orgasm because they genuinely can't tell if they had one.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Do these smooth brained people who think blazing saddles is gonna be banned think that the film is full of racist jokes? The point isn't that the jokes are racist, it's that racism is a joke.

Yeah, they're not really good at telling the difference.

Which really calls into question why they like it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/glinner/status/1270815123024773120?s=21

Everyone’s favourite Harry Potter character, Ralph Weasley.

She's Voldemort and Umbridge, then, by extension.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad I've never read a Harry Potter.

As someone who did, and enjoyed them (one of my sisters was eleven and so in exactly the right age group when Harry Potter became big, and I was sixteen and read everything ever in lieu of having friends), but also hasn't reread them in quite some time, during which I've gone back to school and am just a few credits away from a degree in English (with a minor in biology, because fight me) and as such has got really a whole lot better at analysing literature since my early twenties when the last book come out.... part of me wants to go back to them now and then just. thoroughly tear them apart. Chapter by chapter. Write about symbolism and bigotry and poor writing and just, I dunno, exorcise the nostalgia. It's a weird feeling.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

The Shrieking Shack is a podcast that does exactly that.

Someone else mentioned this to me, too. I might check it out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

People get really superstitious about dice in D&D. No judgment intended, it's a human nature thing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Congratulations on successfully walking I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I guarantee this dude played the game using only the midriff-baring Carja-style armour and complained about how all the other outfits are "ugly."