Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder about this too, it's certainly much easier to just have a "who cares" attitude as to what your attraction to someone means about your sexuality and I wonder if there are a section of exclusively homosexual people who are just as neurotic about that as some heterosexuals can be.

Yeah, this. Straight or gay folks who aren't straight up transphobic may have that struggle of "Well, their gender matches what I like but their genitals don't (or vice versa), this requires some Soul Searching" but if you're bi/pan, it's just kinda like "Okay, cool. I find you attractive regardless!"

And as to your second point (" I wonder if there are a section of exclusively homosexual people who are just as neurotic about that as some heterosexuals can be."), yes. Yes, there absolutely are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe you get magic powers if you only gently caress the right people. Like being able to tame unicorns.

E: actually gently caress there is definitely some horrible terf magick people out there who actually believe that isn't there.

You've heard about "gold-star gay/lesbians", haven't you? :P

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I have heard the term but I don't know what it means.

A lesbian who has ONLY ever had sexual encounters with other women (or gay man who has ONLY ever had sexual encounters with other men). On its own, I think it can be a dumb-if-funny joke, but unfortunately a lot of folks use it as some sort of "I'm more legit and better at being gay than YOU, ugh, you've slept with the opposite sex before!" cudgel.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

A quick Google tells me that the platinum-star thing was a joke from Will and Grace.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Did he send pictures of dog penis to random women who disagreed with him again?

....What? :stonk: Can I have some more context? Don't really feel like searching "Lowtax dog penis" at work, aha.

ultrafilter posted:

There's a color blindness simulator that shows how people with various forms of color blindness see an image.

This is super interesting, thank you!

learnincurve posted:

submitting their furry but only furry for lizards flag for an official pride parade

This has me giggling to the point of tears and I have no idea why.

Content! This "lifestyle blogger"/influencer is like, thirty, but is currently posting like an old boomer on Facebook.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

sassassin posted:

Lot of #flagshaggers itt

https://twitter.com/dril/status/171450835388203008

The best part about "CANCEL CULTURE" lady is that she..could have just not responded to that question and ignored it, but she chose to, because she's gotta TAKE A STAND, dammit!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Taber posted:

I posted it for the trains flag thing, but yes that is another questionable thing RuPaul does intentionally in the show.

To be fair to Rupaul, the terms "oval office" and "pussy" are used a lot in ballroom culture as positive terms, particularly for someone who is very feminine/"passing".

Now, granted, this brings up a lot of transphobia (vagina always = women, namely), but then again, the ballroom scene was started by trans folks and as a cis woman it's not my place to either attack or defend. :)

Then AGAIN, Rupaul, while arguably the most famous modern day drag queen, didn't come up in the ballroom scene, so is it her place to use that lingo? I can't say!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Seems like a good a time as any to bring this one back around:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...rove-him-wrong/

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Am I just a "sensitive snowflake", or does Linda's last bit there sound..threatening? "Minority group complains about offensive product name? Too bad violence won't fix this!"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bismuth posted:

also according to this person you cant be an "own voices" author unless you are cartoonishly flamboyant I guess

How much you wanna bet this person is biphobic? ("aka queer" followed up with a comment about "straight passing"). It reminds me of the folks claiming Jameela Jamil and others are just a "straight woman trying to be interesting" by identifying as queer.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Presumably (and hopefully) they would have the poo poo kicked out of them

If I see a "super straight" at a future Pride, I'm throwing hands. >=|

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pfizer is for jocks, Moderna is for nerds, AstraZeneca is for stoners, and J&J is for Nazis?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also he's casually transphobic, IIRC

For more context, since I am a goony loser who tracks what people are Mad Online about : one of the new dating options in the sequel is a trans woman and this was announced some time ago. A bunch of Gamergate idiots, in a giant display of :ironicat:, complained and said they would refuse to buy the game if she were included, "Now I won't be able to 100% the game" and whatever other stupid poo poo. The developer caved and changed the character to essentially have a toggle as to whether she's cis AFAB or trans AMAB.

Any chud with half a brain cell who went "Hey, wait, aren't we kinda doing the same poo poo we accuse the SJWs of doing, not liking a game developer's vision and bullying them into changing or removing it?" was shouted down.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

SiKboy posted:

lets not kid ourselves; Boneless humans are just human nuggets.

This is making me giggle uncontrollably.

I know this is referring to the "14 words" neo nazi poo poo, but gently caress I hate when people use "folx". "Folks" is already a gender-neutral word! Anyway, sorry for getting angry, here's some minor content for y'xll...

...A full on "WHERE ARE THE WHITE PRIDE PARADES" in the year of our lord, 2021. Her page is like a bingo card of conservative memes and talking points. I found her in a thread where people are discussing tonight's episode of Hell's Kitchen.

https://twitter.com/April99254098/status/1377419299225280513

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a functional difference between laura loomer and kaitlyn bennet because I keep thinking they're the same person.

Other than I guess I don't think loomer has shat herself yet.

Loomer is brunette and Bennet is blonde, so CLEARLY the former is Veronica and the latter is Betty. :colbert:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Bismuth posted:

Laura Loomer is only 2 years older than Kaitlin, despite somehow looking like that weird aunt with too much plastic surgery that grinds on everyone's husband at her niece's wedding

I feel like I know what Laura Loomer looks like, but every time I imagine her, I realize I'm thinking of Jaclyn Hill (the makeup scammer on Youtube). Like if you showed me this picture and went "That's the woman who awkwardly chained herself to Twitter's front office doors" I'd nod and agree.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Now I'm just imagining the War Boys from Mad Max giggling "WITNESS ME' and spraying chrome highlighter on their cheeks.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Strong phrenology vibes!

Can't be too handsome if y'all ain't showing his face! :colbert: What are you hiding?!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Do they get off on going commando in public? Did they have a quickie in the limousine and didn't want to walk around in wet panties all day long?

Everyone's focusing on the first part, but.... :stonk:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The owner of a local BBQ joint is trying to become the Amy's Baking Company of BBQ by insulting people who leave bad reviews.

:laffo: owning the "haters" by telling them to go to a different BBQ restaurant.

This is from a few days ago, but keep us posted on this. I love poo poo like this.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, I've been into true crime since I was a kid, and it's just...interesting? I'm fascinated by murders and cults and poo poo, and I think it's weird that everyone (or at least the women) who are into it are assumed to be, I dunno, fangirls of the murderers or something? Sure, you have your Holmies and your Columbiners, but for a lot of women (or at least ones I've talked to or seen discuss it), their interest started as "Hey, let me read about what serial killers do, maybe I can get some tips to escape in case I ever encounter one?" or at least the placebo feeling of such.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

LPOTL is a good podcast and the guys who do it are funny and you guys can all kiss my butt

I quite enjoyed their book. :)

Edit: I will agree with Skwirl that true crime can easily be "taught" by snickering assholes who want to laugh about another dead hooker. I highly recommend the Youtube channel That Chapter, run by an Irish guy who cracks jokes but still strikes me as pretty respectful of the victims. I believe he even removed a video after being asked to by a victim's family.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Apr 7, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

The LPOTL guys always make a very direct point about exactly why sex workers are so often the target of murderers, why that's a problem, and do not crack jokes about it. They mostly joke about how pathetic the lives of serial killers usually are and how much they hate them (see israel keyes and dennis 'BTK' rader, the worst poet who ever lived)

Oh, I know, I love the LPOTL! Ben is so dreamy. :allears:

Also, my partner works with computers and is nowhere near as into true crime as I am, but he absolutely loves the story of how BTK got caught (which kinda sorta fits into the theme of this thread):

quote:

In his letters to police, Rader asked if his writings, if put on a floppy disk, could be traced or not. The police answered his question in a newspaper ad posted in the Wichita Eagle saying it would be safe to use the disk. On February 16, 2005, Rader sent a purple 1.44-Megabyte Memorex floppy disk to Fox TV affiliate KSAS-TV in Wichita.[47][48] Also enclosed were a letter, a gold-colored necklace with a large medallion, and a photocopy of the cover of Rules of Prey, a 1989 novel about a serial killer.[48]

Police found metadata embedded in a deleted Microsoft Word document that was, unknown to Rader, still stored on the floppy disk.[49] The metadata contained the words "Christ Lutheran Church", and the document was marked as last modified by "Dennis."[50] An Internet search determined that a "Dennis Rader" was president of the church council.[47] When investigators drove by Rader's house, a black Jeep Cherokee—the type of vehicle seen in the Home Depot surveillance footage—was parked outside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader#Cold_case

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Liking stuff for entertainment is cool
but "I listen to true crime podcasts to prepare myself for when the next up-and-coming celebrity serial killer targets me specifically" is a very anxiety-brainworms opinion

I never said little teenage me was thinking logically! :) Being a woman kinda sucks sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l26UFQ06eQ

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Jakabite posted:

I’m so glad you have that avatar, it makes me smile every time I see it. The cobwa. The opposite of an idiot on social media.

One of my favorite looks ever on the runway! :D

I cringed at this, re-read it, and cringed even harder when I realized George Floyd is one of the options...

Edit: oh gently caress, and unsolved child murders?! (Jon Benet and the Delphi murders)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Speaking of George Floyd...what the actual gently caress?

(spoilered as it's a supposed recreation/reenactment of George Floyd's death and I don't want to force folks to see that kind of poo poo if they don't want)

https://twitter.com/AltGlasses/status/1379932652254326786

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

What’s the Abraham Lincoln one, just 3/4s of an old play and then it cuts off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWgBAXJWcuM

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

As with most "wait, WHY" things on the internet, my first thought is some weird jerk-off material.

"I WANT A COP TO KNEEL ON MY NECK UNTIL DEATH, BUT ONLY IF IT'S A PRETTY LADY AND ALSO SHE'S BAREFOOT"

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

learnincurve posted:

My actual area!

True crime predates detective fiction, in fact the reason detective fiction exists was because of the British public's lust for more true crime. It's also the reason the press in it's infancy was able to take off - the Guardian in particular owes it's existence to true crime.

If you want to find out more then the Detective fiction writer PD James and the historian T.A. Critchley wrote a book called the maul and the pear tree. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/573194.The_Maul_and_the_Pear_Tree which is about the murder that started the public's obsession with all murder - the 1811 Ratcliffe Highway Murders.

This is hella interesting, thank you! I'll check out the book.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tweet that aged poorly:

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1380200140439498754

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1380268341135310848

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

letthereberock posted:

What’s odd to me is that there seems to be almost a cottage industry on Twitter (and constant gift to this thread) of people (men and women) declaring that specific, mundane things are “feminine”, with the implication that men should not do them. (Reading fiction is feminine! Ordering dessert is feminine! Leaning in in photographs is feminine!)

And yet...I don’t think I’ve EVER seen anyone suggest the opposite- that certain traits or actions are “masculine” and women should avoid those.

I think because most people know the latter ("women shouldn't do xxx or yyy") is more likely to be seen as backwards and hosed up, as, even if someone believes in such sexist poo poo, they know they probably shouldn't say it in public or the "femnazis!!!" will get them. However, with all the "OMG MEN ARE TOO FEMININE, SOY BOYS, WHY ARE MEN WEARING DRESSES?!" drama, even in recent months, men and their masculinity (or alleged lack thereof) is still considered a "debate" or some poo poo.

Also, as a quick example, as a lady pothead, women smoking weed is apparently super "controversial". Like I'll still see dudes say that women smoking weed turns them off because (for example), "That's a bro thing, not a wifey thing." Stupid!

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 18:25 on Apr 9, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I will say though, anyone who also smokes weed and looks down on women for smoking it is dumb as loving hell and it's probably because they are used to being taken care of when hosed up instead of being able to handle their own poo poo, so the only reason they don't want you smoking weed is because they expect you to babysit them.

I'd bet a lot of it is also the assumption that the guy will be the one buying all the weed. Don't have to buy as much if only one of you smokes! :D

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

learnincurve posted:

At this point I should add that in the 1970s it all went to poo poo as the detective genres all got infested with awful scumbag men who wrote about murdering women who they thought deserved it (continued to the 1990s when women started writing about awful things happening to other women they didn’t like as well and here we are today) , this was the point when women switched away from fiction and back to true crime by the millions. Male authors and male publishers simply made the genre unreadable for us.

There's actually a modern example of this! I'm fascinated by the Chris Watts case (trigger warning: wife and kiddos murder) and from what I understand, there are two main books on the case; one written by a man and one written by a woman.

The latter explains the pretty obvious story (dude didn't want to be married anymore, kills his wife and kids to be with his mistress, and tries to pin the kids' murders on the wife). The former, written by a man, apparently tries to pull the "OKAY, BUT LIKE, THE DUDE WAS WHIPPED AND HIS WIFE WAS SOOOO CONTROLLING, CAN'T WE LOOK AT THIS FROM HIS PERSPECTIVE TOO?!" Some of the Amazon reviews mention constant subtle digs at the dead wife about how spoiled, etc. she was.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

The idiot has since went MIA for a couple of months, but my partner works at a computer repair place and had a coworker who was a total covid conspiracy theorist.

"THEY'RE GOING TO TRACK US WITH THE VACCINES! [puts smartphone on table]" When my partner pointed out that the government doesn't need to track you with a vaccine, they already track you through your smartphone, he got a "WELL, THAT'S DIFFERENT" with no elaboration on how, exactly, it's different.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

There's also a theory that the reason the US had a shitton of serial killers emerging in the 70s/80s are the prevalence of these during their puberty years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_adventure

(Is there a true crime thread? I'd love to continue this conversation there! :D)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

This was the same guy who, when warned he shouldn't leave things like say, a pound of weed or cash just sitting in open view in his van, claimed that he wasn't worried because "I'll find out who stole my poo poo and track them down, I KNOW some people." The repair shop is in an area with a ton of break-ins, but I guess he'll just magically know which of our massive homeless population did it and be able to track them to one of the fifty different camps in the city..

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

They have a Facebook page too but it's just boomer-tier cringe of photos of people giving the middle finger.

:hellyeah:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I personally think it's valuable to keep calling them "pedophiles" because it makes a certain kind of person pop out of the woodwork to correct you, which is a valuable service.

I still can't believe that a Transformers included a scene where characters discuss "Romeo and Juliet law", including carrying around an info card in his wallet, but here we are!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What Yang is actually objecting to if, if you read his points, having online meetings at all. Many of the points he gives apply to any meeting; others apply to any electronic communication ("lengthening the workday"), and the whole drat thing ignores disability.

I can't remember what PYF thread it was (PYF companies circling the drain?) but I was reading through the thread and there was some post from ~2016 or so where a manager goon was saying that they don't allow working from home for various reasons. I'm wondering how they handled the pandemic...

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

[Kramers into thread]

Did someone say Dominic Deegan?!

I feel like that nerd "These simpletons like big boobs, but I, AN INTELLECTUAL, do not!" poo poo came up several times in this comic.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yall talking webcomics made me look up pennyarcade since it's just so weird to hear of its existence in 2021 and i think the latest strip literally gave me a stroke

This is a mind weapon

Wait, are spiders a metaphor for the doctor? Or for needles? If the latter, why is a needle calling him on the phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Dewgy posted:

He’s a huge rear end in a top hat and also a complete failure at being the macho man who he so desires to be, which is clearly a grand conspiracy and not covered by the simpler explanation that he sucks.