Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lmao at a twitter account dedicated to defence topics, run by a Tory member who volunteers for a charity to 'promote ties between the British Overseas Territories' and has a Union Jack-themed logo being the sane, reasonable voice to right-wing shitheads with commie-SJW views like "Britain doesn't have an inherent right to rule the world and nowhere wants us back."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Grraarrgghh posted:

If you enjoy conservative shitbag tears, do not miss this click. Holy moley.

:kiss:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

There's a generation of people who've never suffered a significant consequence to any of their actions and who's worst tribulation was when the bins weren't collected for a couple of weeks, a memory that has deeply scarred them and drives much of their political leanings.

Bad things just don't happen to them, you see the same thing with all the ridiculous over the top wailing with covid about having to wear masks or not see their grandkids for a few weeks (while all the actually old people dying by their thousands is brushed under the carpet). This is the worst thing they can imagine ever happening or it will be until Brexit and then climate change really start to bite.

This becomes more and more obvious every day as the pandemic, Brexit and economic crisis grinds on and seemingly the entire population aged over 45 just thinks any negative impacts don't exist or can be solved by "optimism :downs: "...until an impact gets to them at which point they flip out.

I remember reading somewhere that the reason young kids throw tantrums over seemingly petty stuff is because they lack both the life experience and the introspective ability to see that it isn't a big deal. When you're four accidentally dropping your ice cream at the beach is quite literally one of the worst things that has ever happened to you so you react accordingly.

That might be pop-psych :biotruths: bullshit, but it really seems to explain so much about a lot of people just dismissing even the possibility of having difficulty using their house in France if they vote to leave the EU or getting all fraught when they have to wait a few minutes to be let into a shop.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I read a thing once that basically said every one of these "heartwarming" stories are just "why the gently caress is this a thing people have to do?"

Yeah. My gf has an annual tradition where she and her Mum watch the Pride of Britain Awards over a bottle of wine and gently blub at the 'heartwarming' stories. Some of them are genuinely good, like a kid who bodily pulled his unconscious grandfather out of the sea onto some rocks and saved him from death by hypothermia. But a lot of them are exactly the sort of 'struggled against nearly overwhelming odds [that should never have existed in the first place]' or 'started a charity to tackle an issue [that should be a state responsibility and probably was until 10 years ago]' stuff that, for me at least, is the exact opposite of heartwarming.

I am no longer allowed to watch the Awards with them...

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mikebromham/status/1375159058081136642?s=20

:discourse:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

letthereberock posted:

Ok it HAS to be intentional at this point right? Like there’s a specific pleasure some Britons take in attacking Markle for the exact things they praised Middleton for?

Sometimes they can't even keep the contradictions off the same page, never mind different issues of the same paper.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/788852497846833152?s=19

Such is their equally powerful need to be both lovely to refugees and perverts to teenagers that they can't help printing "These foreigners are clearly older than they claim, just look at them!" and "We can't tell these two women apart despite their 35-year age gap!" in big letters right next to each other.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There is a neat reddit that captures stuff almost entirely in this vein, "Sappho and her friend"

https://www.reddit.com/r/SapphoAndHerFriend/

Not IoSM, but this also captures this sort of thing perfectly

https://twitter.com/LauraAmalasunta/status/1404885232168341513

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Don't be daft, they don't hire people who sound like that to work for the papers. They're all idiot failchildren of aristos and previous generations of media twats.

To the extent that Dawn Foster won a "Non-Traditional Journalist of the Year" award, with reasons being cited including 'went to a state school' and 'did investigative journalism that blamed people in power for poor people dying'.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebrilos posted:

Does anyone have that twitter post where that "responsible gun owner" was arguing that any truly "responsible gun owner" should have a few accidental discharges per year, because if they aren't, they won't be able to react in time to a "threat".

It was dumber than that, wasn't it? The 'logic' was that if you didn't pop off at least a few NDs each year you clearly weren't handling your gun enough so you'd be more dangerous...

edit: Here it is

https://twitter.com/fenrir_71/status/1472906156217708549?s=20&t=Ug9jVCGvCXQazN--JKlvXQ

"NDs are a natural part of handling weapons, like car accidents are part of driving." Telling on yourself there, I think.

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 9, 2022

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Also they should loving bring back those sick yankee trains with the bubble windows on the top, youse had a good idea with those.

Dome Cars - also available in Great Dome, Big Dome and Pleasure Dome variants. There was also the Skytop Lounge observation car, which is another example of "Why can't we have nice things anymore?"

DaysBefore posted:

The best part is that the US (and Canada) did have extensive commuter rail and long distance passenger train networks up until the 50s, at which point we started tearing up all the tracks and building highways. Now the majority of what's left is for freight, but even then the freight is brought to and from trains by trucks anyway lmao.

As late as the 1950s nowhere in the state of Iowa was more than 12 miles from a railroad and even in 1980 every Iowan county was served by at least one rail line. Granted even by the mid-20th century a lot of those routes were freight only or, at best, had extremely patchy and run-down passenger services but it's still striking how much infrastructure has disappeared in such a relatively short time.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

What are the odds those are actually Polish spitfires? It’s a long running thing that boomer memes that get all nostalgic over the Battle of Britain whilst being simultaneously xenophobic use Polish spitfires.

OwlFancier posted:

I did try to look it up and they don't seem to be using 303 squadron markings at least.

The FF squadron code is from 132 Sqd. which, as well as not being formed until 1941, was the 'City of Bombay' squadron, notable as one of the international units with pilots including men from Canada, New Zealand, Poland, Ceylon, India and the Caribbean. Not sure how the sharer of that image would like that...

I sometimes think artists of WW2 Spitfire scenes must be doing this deliberately, because I swear more often than not it's always a non-British squadron shown in these gammony Fwd:s

132 Squadron's motto was "Beware of the Leopard", which amuses me greatly

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Nov 11, 2022

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sort of 'nested' or fractal IoSM encountered today. The most recent instalment:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1663327756946493441

and the receipts:

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1663694344375730182

"Poor people should just become millionaires by growing tomatoes in their front yards...I insist on living in an HOA area where growing vegetables in your front yard is banned."

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

The AI is so amazing that it's actually managed to make a version of the Cybertruck that a) looks better than the original (thanks to the scalloped front end and smaller, steeper windshield scalloped front end and smaller, steeper windshield plus the angle break between screen and hood and b) is a six-window 'wagon' version, so is therefore more useful.

The real Cybertruck actually manages to look more like a low-effort procedurally generated imitation of itself than the AI images its fans make.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Quote isn't edit!

[Post reserved for fresh idiocy]

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebrilos posted:

Doesn't matter. If they can "prove" anything bad about Gretta, like that she used a carbon the other day or owns an octopus plushy, it shows that all climate activists or all people who care about the climate in general are hypocritical/bad/wrong. Even if she lived in a "perfect" manner, it wouldn't be enough, since they can simply lie about her.

She literally travelled to the UN Climate Summit (where she delivered the "how dare you" line that immediately made her Boomer Enemy #1) by sailing boat, with electricity generated by solar panels to circumvent the 'Global Elites travelling to international conferences by jet to preach to us about greenhouse gases' line...and instead it was all "Greta's boat was made of fibreglass which needs oil to produce it. Checkmate greenailures :smuggo:"

She's one of those figures whose ideological enemies think and care about her far more than she does them, or even her supporters.

Go find any YouTube video of an old muscle car, a steam locomotive or a farm tractor firing up on a winter's day and making exhaust smoke and there's an 80% chance there'll be a comment along the lines of "Ooo, better make sure Greta doesn't see this [crying laughter emoji]".

As if Greta Thunberg gives the tiniest poo poo about some guy in Nebraska with a 40-year old John Deere. Her whole point is that it's governments and big business who are actually responsible for environmental damage and are the ones with the ability to do something about it. That's why she addressed the UN summit.

But the chuds really, really love having an enemy figure they can pretend is on their backs all the time and imagine her scowling face every time they set their a/c low or get out the gas-powered weed wacker.

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 12:37 on Nov 26, 2023

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Quote is not edit.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

I guarantee you their only thought was "The moon is the nighttime thing" and any thoughts beyond that slid off their smooth brain like jelly off of glass.

I'm sure this sufficiently sums up 90+% of the 'thought process'.

When they were kids they learnt 'Sun comes out in the day, Moon comes out at night' and used Crayola sets to draw pictures of a yellow sun in a blue sky.

So that's how it was and that's all they need to know.

Loads of people are staggeringly uncurious and unaware. And proud of it, because it's what's now the definition of 'common sense'.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that would give you an odd sense of geography if Germany went all the way to Stalingrad.

Conversely I had my grandmother's encyclopedias to learn from and was confused as to what the USSR was because I was born around the time of the Berlin wall falling.

While they did buy their kids actual, new, up-to-date* Dorling Kindersley atlases and encyclopaedias for help with homework in the 1990s, my parents' 'go to' atlas that was kept on the living room shelves was the 1977 Times Atlas of the World. So it not only had the USSR and two Germanys, but places like the Central African Empire, South West Africa, Upper Volta, Rhodesia and Persia. Fortunately the main purpose of the atlas was to settle arguments generated by the equally old edition of Trivial Pursuit that lived next to it: "Which country has its capital in Belgrade?" "Pretty sure that's Serbia" "Sorry, it says here 'Yugoslavia'" "But mum, Yugoslavia doesn't exist anymore!" "Well, where do those Yugo cars come from then? Let's look in the atlas...see, right here 'SFR Yugoslavia'..."

* Although I remember one must have been designed/published right on the eve of the collapse of communism because the copyright date was 1992 but it still had the USSR on one of its maps with a little inset photo of the Buran orbiter lifting off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

I was waiting for her to spit chewing tabaco, or burp loudly or something not seen as feminine. Nope, just working outside.

Same. I was expecting the poster's point to be something like the "in my day we called them tomboys" that they use to dismiss trans women. And then was, like you, waiting for some masculine shoe to drop, as it were.

But it seems that women can't go outside and do some moderate manual labour. While wearing practical and weather-appropriate clothes with their hair up?

Ideas almost straight from the Taliban.