Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I loving wish Times Square was that empty whenever I have to pass through it you kidding me?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That video still haunts me after all this time but I’m glad anime avatar dude find racist use for it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

We probably loving should have!

Pretty much. That thing was so loving hosed. He essentially put the guy through a catch-22; so as your told, and you’re dead, don’t, and you’re dead. It was extremely hosed and the fact that it’s barely a blip on the radar of police malpractice in America is a loving atrocity.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

quote:

An autopsy report found that Shaver was intoxicated, with a blood-alcohol level over three times the legal driving limit, which police stated may have contributed to his confused response to their commands.

Good to know that drinking in your hotel room is now a justification for your murder by police. See he was drunk, meaning he COULD have gotten into a car and killed someone!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Goddamn son, read the room.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

And his violation of that norm was seen as so egregious that we passed a constitutional amendment to make sure no one else could do it.

LoL when a democrat breaks the pinky-swear rules things happen real quick, don’t they?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I uh, what?

I mean...children grow! At some point they’ll be tall enough to be seen, but that they’re too short for that until then is inevitable?

I mean I know what thread this is but am I missing something here?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

zakharov posted:

Original person was mad that the truck is huge and poses a larger danger to their kids. Toyota missed that.

Yeah well I guess they’re both idiots then.

Try not to buy a huge Toyota if that’s something to be concerned about.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

zakharov posted:

I don't think that's his truck.

Ah, well that changes things!

I don’t have a license and If you want to remove needlessly big cars with safety hazards I’m all for that. I just read it as someone who bought a huge car and then complained that their car was huge. That’s on me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

there wolf posted:

Only with deepest irony if at all.

Him bracing himself at the doorframe is so wonderful :allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That would indeed be the case.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1329055330286891012

Ah yes, the Sermon on the Mount, a radical leftist manifesto.

Conservative Christians would absolutely hate Jesus and his preachings if they ever took the slightest of efforts to look up what he said and thought.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I loving wish all my grocery stores had fat tabby cats just chilling.

Best part of my visits to Peter Luger was always meeting all the bodega cats on the way there.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Fishstick posted:

It gets better

Investing in survival is a net-loss for rich people, didn’t you know?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

christmas boots posted:

This man is getting dunked on all sides and even went out of his way to pick a fight with Mara Wilson of all people. He's a loathsome ghoul, but he's Truly Online.

Mara Wilson is great and if you find yourself in a twitter fight with her, you done hosed up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

IoSM: Alive and also dead.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The only reason Trump didn’t scrap the James Webb Space Telescope and ran off with its golden solar panels is that NASA convinced him they were actually just big honey combs. I guarantee it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Goddamn I miss Shorty’s. Haven’t been there in maybe a decade.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Also keep in mind that ideas of gender did not exist in the same way as we have them today.

A common conception among ancient Mediterranean societies with Greek influences is that women were simply “incomplete” men. In essence, they were the same “gender” but men had “evolved” to the ultimate stage, whereas women were inferior and lacking.

The idea of a man trying to become a woman in such a society would likely be outrageously scandalous, let alone for an emperor from the east, where people (according to Roman prejudices) already were more feminine than they should be.

It’s possible that there’s a kernel of truth in the stories about Elagabalus, but to claim that modern historians are unwilling to commit to that due to some deep rooted transphobia in academia is not entirely fair. There are circumstances of culture and historical precedents that makes slander an equally (if not more so) likely answer.

BigglesSWE has a new favorite as of 12:37 on May 8, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Who had this on their bingo card?

I struggle to see how my statement could be construed as anything but asking for people to not subscribe to the distant past and it’s inhabitants the thoughts and ideologies of today.

Which is to say, entirely reasonable if one has even an inkling of an interest to look at the past in the context it existed in. We’re talking well over a thousand years before our time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

On the trains I work on we get a lot of homeless persons sleeping during the day. We usually leave them alone unless they cause problems which they pretty much never do. Conservatives just have to be asses eh.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/mtwidns/status/1391508210985603073?s=21

Might be a bit easy but it’s late and I’m off to bed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I’m sure a cat has shown the washed up corpse of one who’s boss.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Eurovision lost its purpose after it gave us ABBA.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It’s never not hilarious just how utterly impossible it is for Trump to pretend to enjoy something if he don’t.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Richard Dawkins strikes me as a person who feels an overwhelming urge to be the smartest man in the room, at all times. Which, at the time of that tweet, meant he had to be smarter than anyone who’s read Kafka, I guess.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Skwirl posted:

OP not the idiot obviously

https://twitter.com/allisongeroi/status/1403330173605457923?s=20

What the gently caress?

We’re not so far from a political climate in which whistleblowers will lose any and all legal protection and political big brain thinkers are just laying the groundwork.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1397203626268020743

https://twitter.com/benheck/status/1397207847398694920

This was the guy who made those cool console mods like a handheld N64 and the Laptop xbox360

This guy was a WWI general in his previous life.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

For those interested in plague talk, I recommend “The Great Mortality” by John Kelly. Very good book.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

”we’re sorry or you’re welcome” is a good title.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That’s a mood and a half, lol.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

goldenninjawarrior posted:

My parents told me the other day that they were going to name me Ragnar if I'd been a boy. Wish I got named Ragnar, that's a cool name.

Not my my Swedish ears, it’s a bit of an old-man name you won’t hear outside of Viking pop-culture stuff.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

This points to a general problem with all of these dumbfuck conspiracy theories claiming the nefarious plans of the Deep State (apart from all the obvious problems): there’s no good explanation about the motive of these nefarious plans.

Like, all these nazis who claims that the evil leftist world order is trying to enforce Islam on everybody. The gently caress would that be for? Or in this case, making everyone homosexual, why would that be an end-game? Like, there are obvious potential motives for faking a moon landing or 9/11 that one can potentially argue for, but “they want to force all of us wear masks in public and take vaccines because EVIL” doesn’t really connect that well.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

My favourite IMDB trivia was when Snyders’ JL was released and the trivia section was crammed full with slights against the theatrical cut, and Joss Wheadon in particular:

“ Victor Stone/Cyborg was originally described as the "heart of the movie" by Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder, but Joss Whedon controversially cut most, if not all, of Cyborg's storyline for the theatrical version. Victor's plot line is restored in this version.”

“Cut most, if not all” is a wonky think to see in a trivia section.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Antigravitas posted:

Best Scrooge:

Also, best Donald.

Hell yeah.

I have some stuff signed by Rosa. He was a really cool dude.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

It must be a bit frustrating for him because AFAIK Donald Duck comics are basically an unknown entity in America, where he lives, whereas his comics are hugely popular here in Europe. Ducktales might well lead more Americans into reading his stuff, but more likely they won’t ever get that far, simply settling down with the new Ducktales being the most relevance that the characters have gotten in decades.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Ducktales is it’s own thing yeah, but it takes a lot of inspiration from both Barks and Rosa.

In Rosa’s canon, Scrooge’s parents are both dead, and the “present” in his comics is in the 1950’s, meaning there’s no cellphones and other such stuff.

I would say that in terms of Rosa, the show is pulling stuff mostly from visual aspects. Scrooge’s whole family, both the living and the dead, are drawn basically exactly like Rosa did it.

I had Rosa draw Fergus McDuck in one of my collections, I’ll see if I can dig up a picture later.

BigglesSWE has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Dec 6, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

what is it about cartoon ducks that's so appealing to north europeans?

No idea really. Some of it might be the whole Donald Duck on Christmas thing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_All_of_Us_to_All_of_You

Boomers have freaked out every time someone voices any criticism towards it so it’s here to stay which is fine I guess. But there’s also Donald Duck centric cartoons. Curiously enough, in the Swedish one, I recall the absolute majority of the comics to be imports. There’s a guy called Vicar, from Netherlands I think, who has done a bazillion duck comics. But we don’t really have any truly famous duck artist in Scandinavia I think.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Goons had Tails gets trolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

She was also willingly (presumably) married to a goddamn homophobic maniac so uuuuh gently caress her?