Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

T-man posted:

I'm getting reports that the "karen is a slur" woman that started this conversation is a TERF, so I wouldn't be shocked if we see TERFs trying to hijack the (legitimate) concern re: the conflation between class consciousness and misogyny and blame it on the transes.
Oh, so she got mad bc people were calling her Karen bc of her terrible transphobia? Sounds like a TERF to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Like I definitely believe Karen CAN be used misogynistically, just like everything else that refers to women and some things that don't. It's also not always that funny an observation. Doesn't mean it's inherently misogynistic, though.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hihohe posted:

From what my resident conspiracy nut said, Hillary Clinton and friends specifically, are raping small children because they have an organ that produces "something" when in stress and they have to eat it while the children are still alive in order for it to reverse the aging process.
Have they explained why Hillary still looks old then?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

T-man posted:

Love to defend the medical insitutions that had "hot and would suck my dick" as a preresquite for HRT eligibility until the 2000s and even now creates a transmedicalist narrative where transitioning == penis removal (suck it transmascs).

Actually study the history/philosophy of trans care before you defend the creeps that invented the field and, unfortunately, the dominant definition of modern transgender identity thereby.
Medicine needs to be made properly with high standards. Medical history as a whole is riddled with a lot of bullshit and biases that, unfortunately, are contemporary as well as historical, and the contemporary institutions can only improve by recognizing the mistakes of both the far and recent path even if that makes them uncomfortable, such as what you've pointed out about how transmedicalism is uncomfortably penis-focused and shoves trans people into very narrow narratives.

I think what ppl are making fun of is just the idea of 'the existence of medical facilities is bad'. You could argue that OP was merely suggesting a massive institutional shift that provides high-quality medical care more equally and accessibly, but I'd argue such a shift would still produce something we'd call 'hospitals' even if the institution was pretty different. And it can also be read as 'let's just make medicine in our backyards'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/anarchomastia/status/1248008650850885632

Just a tad.

For the record, she's also wrong. People at least put a curtain up and tried to stay quiet. Loudly loving your wife in front of your kids was considered as much of a faux pas as it is today.
I do think there can be an overreaction to even the suggestion of sexual content in American culture - tenfold if it happens to be queer, in which case even chaste hand-holding and the explicit confirmation of being a couple can be seen as 'adult content'.

That does not mean we need to just start sucking dicks in public. People have the right to opt out of seeing that stuff.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, totally.

It's super weird how some people can't understand that there's a middle ground between "Sex=evil" and "sex in public should be legal!"... at risk of sounding like a centrist lol
I think usually people get it if you frame it as a consent issue, it's the people who keep digging after that that worry me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah, I've seen some people continue arguing saying its not a consent issue because sex/the human body/whatever is natural then if you have a problem with it then you're just a dumb prude and you need to get therapy and get over it.
That's the same thing sexual predators argue.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

What's even dumber is it's not like Lilo bites, punches, and hair pulls Myrtle because the writers thought it was cute and quirky. She has a disproportionately violent reaction bc she's an emotionally troubled 6 year old. It's depicted as a bad thing, even if Myrtle talks poo poo. Lilo apologizes for it later??? It's not 'presented as good because Myrtle is white'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Honest question, what do you think about Harry and Meghan leaving? I think it's both funny and honestly they should run even further.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

MizPiz posted:

Says a lot about a family that the most likeable member is someone who's worn full nazi regalia on more than one occassion
Yes but the humor is in how the people who really care about the royal family are super upset someone can just leave. It's almost like... royalty doesn't mean anything?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

there wolf posted:

They're both independently wealthy so there's no 'taking just enough money.' They're probably just smart enough to see which way the wind is blowing in regards to overall popularity of the monarchy and their own popularity within it, and are loving off while they're in a position of financial and social strength.
Right, my understanding is they're no longer taking taxpayer money and that sounds good to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Biplane posted:

They've built up a stockpile of taxpayer money though that will keep giving them more money forever due to economics. It's all undeserved. Well I guess Megan Markle actually worked for whatever money she has banked.
Listen - I'm happy if they settle down, pay taxes, and fade away. A lot of poo poo in life is undeserved, positive and negative. Them actually walking away from being taxpayer funded for life just because of who Harry's dad happens to be is a chink in the idea that monarchy deserves that money, and that's not nothing.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

does this guy think people can normally see out of glass eyes?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Is that the same guy who claims that germs exist but don't cause disease and everyone just needs to make their immune systems stronger by eating the right foods, or is this just an adjacent brand of dumbness?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I think the point is that findoms generally don't care about their "pay pigs" at all, like, if some guy findoms himself into debt or not being able to pay his bills, they don't give a poo poo, while other BDSM stuff involves not ruining anyone's lives(if done right). I.e. there may be pain and whatever, but you're not permanently damaging anyone and the dom cares about their sub having a good time, too.
This is basically my impression, too. Like, to be fair, a rich enough whale can drop enough money to change someone's life and barely even notice beyond the erection, but people like that aren't exactly common...

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Hey Molly, how many white men voted for Trump?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

On the other hand, maybe a voluntary limiting of a child's sensorium should be something they decide for themselves once they're adults. If an adult chooses it for themselves, that's one thing, but parents forcing it on their kid is something that doesn't sit well with me. To me it's like parents denying a poorly-sighted child glasses.
Except, unfortunately, implants don't perfectly 'cure' deafness, are a permanent surgical solution, and can in some cases end up causing pain and distress because of distressing sensory imput that is poorly filtered. There are valid reasons to argue it's something people should wait to decide for themselves, unlike wearing glasses, and unfortunately the best results for getting the implant seem to result when it's gotten as an infant, which is the argument for doing it early.

It's dangerous to argue making an informed decision to not give your baby a cochlear implant is abusive. It's more like not giving a baby experimental eye surgery that at best results in grainy blurry vision and can cause lifelong complications. Do I think it's important to improve the options we can offer people? Absolutely. But you can't treat them like magic bullet 'cures'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

AFAIK the WHO doesn't think getting infected and recovering provides much lasting immunity so there's not actually herd immunity possible until a vaccine is developed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

christmas boots posted:

I remember reading some pushback on that statement, and IIRC there’s absence of evidence but that doesn’t mean evidence of absence. The WHO just wanted to make sure countries didn’t start implementing immunity passports under an assumption that we can’t claim with confidence
The lasting part is also a big deal as far as I understand it, since how long coronavirus antibodies linger effectively varies. Plus you have to factor in possible mutations. It's not hopeless, but it's also not something to stake your life on right now.

I flunked immunology though, it's insanely complicated.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

You know there's been some horrific murderers who started out as perpetrators of woman-on-man domestic violence. Katherine Knight comes to mind.

Haha she's crazy violent but good at sex and just a woman, it's a laugh- oh, wow, she just butchered his body to feed to his children, huh.

EDIT: Yeah it happens at different rates but to be fair most male domestic abusers don't go on to become spree killers or terrorists, either.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I just think it's possible to discuss male victimization in a feminist manner - for example, the idea that men can't be hurt by women because women are small and weak is very patriarchal, as is the fact that both men and women struggle to report because of how being abused is seen as a moral and physical failing. It doesn't have to be a conversation about who 'deserves' limited resources because we can all be on the same side of survivors deserving protection from abusers.

The narrative of it simply as a gender dynanic also ignores intersectionality, tbh.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Piss Meridian posted:

The biggest issue is the use of data from countries that systematically do not charge women with DA, as they are considered to inherently the victim (if they abuse, a man made them do it). This is a system called the 'duluth model' and was the creation of academic feminists in the 80s.

Unless you want to blame the actions of feminist groups on the patriarchy, of course.
No I'm saying by framing women as exclusively victims those feminist groups were ironically still being really misogynistic. I'd like to read up about the issue sometimes since i know DA is dramatically under-reported anyway, so I can't imagine it's easy to figure out what the ratio actually is, esp with the base idea (abusers are male) being so pervasive.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Piss Meridian posted:

You're assuming they actually believe women can't be violent, rather than callously attempting to manipulate statistics. I have exactly zero faith in any female led group to make a good faith attempt to correct this situation they created.
Uh, well, I'm a woman, so.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I shouldn't have tried to give that guy the benefit of the doubt. How did he interpret what I said as minimizing? Because I didn't agree that women were the problem?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Kinda is for misrepresenting what's in the blog.
Yeah like Neil Gaiman is not exactly blindsided if he's already moved back to the UK. Sounds like she was just informing people of why he's not around while trying to be bare on details bc they don't need a dramastorm when they've got to co-parent.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I mean it basically sounds to me like Palmer makes some pretty impulsive bad decisions and then people who don't like her amplify that bc that's the nature of... anti-fandom? I have no defense for Sex Changes and am not even going to try and excuse that, but the real IoSM seem like fans of Gaiman and Palmer going nuts over a breakup.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

luxury handset posted:

it comes off to me as though she and musk are in some weird codependent drug spiral where they prop each other up as being radical innovators who are really getting into the core of what reality really means, man, which is actually very typical for people whose relationship depends on mutual substance abuse. except they're both famous and wealthy enough to where the various bad consequences of unrestricted intoxication take longer to come into play, like neither one of them is going to get serially arrested for nodding off in a dollar general parking lot or start bouncing checks, all they can do is pass highdeas back and forth all night in some hillside mansion then tweet about it for endless positive affirmation that they're star children or whatever

And now there's a newborn baby in the mix. :(

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Uh these are students of presumably college age that presumably opted in to the course and--again presumably--opted into the conversations about being queer.

When the *gently caress* are people allowed to vouch for themselves? Ah gently caress it I know already; when they're Graham.
When they're straight, white, and cis, and preferably from the UK and male, I'm sure.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think he's got an actual problem, like a monomania, at this point. Like, having a poo poo opinion doesnt make you mentally ill, or vice versa, but i think getting so obsessive over a poo poo opinion that you blow up your whole entire life and sacrifice your health, nonstop, for years has got to be a sign of a brain problem.
Even the terfs think he's mentally ill over this, which is... impressive.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Relevant Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Of course they couldn't just take one tulip, no, they were entitled enough to take what looks like an entire bed.

Taking one tulip would still be entitled and hinge on their poor planning but would at least be much less noticeable damage.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Oh those deep purple fringed tulips are apparently quite expensive for tulips, too. The only good thing is that person posting their theft on nextdoor so civil claims court can come knocking eventually.

EDIT: Oh my gardener friend tells me ALL of those are expensive and rare tulip cultivars. Oh my god.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 16:42 on May 11, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

boar guy posted:

a $9 bottle of wine, stolen tulips and all the 'rona you can spew...what a fantastic tribute to mom
My deep desire is that mom sees that post and is pissed.

Also I just noticed he stole 4 of the purple fringed tulips but only 1 is in the bouquet. Did he throw the rest out? They're so expensive bc apparently deep purple is hard to breed true.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm the heterosexual interracial romantic picnic that is apparently offensive to the artist.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I'm the dude hanging out in a wheelchair, because only leftists are disabled.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Truth, Justice, and a Runny-Yolked Egg.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

maybe, but it's invigorating to feel like you have a handle on why the world is so bad, what could be done about it, and most importantly of all, whose suffering can be happily ignored. these are things every political stance offers.
Or you could just be Lovecraft and be cripplingly afraid of everything slightly different from you and even of your own internal perception of the world, but deal with it by giving your cat a super racist name and ranting about Jews until your Jewish wife divorces you.

Sad that dude was before anti-anxiety meds but probably good he was pre-internet.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

BrigadierSensible posted:

I love* the mental gymnastics and twisted logic loops people are prepared to go to say "I don't want to wear a mask because it is slightly uncomfortable.", and still try to justify to themselves, (and strangers on the internet), that they are the ones doing the right thing.

Masks = sharia law because they cover the face like burkhas.
Masks = communism because they strip individuality from a person in favour of a uniform appearance.
Masks = tyranny because .... I dunno, I took an American Revolutionary History class once and Tyranny is a bad thing, so I can equate it with masks which I also dislike
etc.

*and by love I mean am baffled and enraged by
Yeah like I find wearing masks to be physically uncomfortable and I probably should get a cloth mask sometime, maybe that'll be more comfy but I also am 100% willing to wear one for the safety of other people.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yes it sucks when community events have to be drastically changed or cancelled due to an active pandemic but reasonable people are disappointed but understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

there wolf posted:

And they are a bunch of lying liars who lie, but then again there is a giant pile of dumb as gently caress experiments perpetrated by government agencies that lead to absolute bupkis. I choose to go with the third option- they totally found something but whatever it was was so embarrassing that they'd rather say they failed and deal with everyone thinking they're totally useless/have mind control drugs.
Yeah the thing is it's not crazy to think the government will try to do weird unethical things, where it veers into conspiracy theory fantasy land is the idea they succeeded and are so successful that there's a whole hyper-efficient shadow-government and only tHe EnLiGhTeNeD know about THEM. It's basically the difference between 'man the government has provably done unethical experiements both on civilians and enlisted personnel and that probably hasn't stopped so we'll be learning about weird poo poo in 50 years' and 'and that's why the government faked the moon, also the Olsen twins are mind-controlled experiment children'