Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Softface posted:

It's time for Cursed Baby Yoda Parents

:wtfdude:

I think that broke my brain. Why is this a thing?!

Edit: shameful snipe, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Crossposted from GBS:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Yea, I feel like this dude should not have a drivers license, or a gun....or really anything that could cause injury to other people. For him, I figure he'll just show up in the Darwin Awards one day, but its everyone around him that I feel worried for.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Picnic Princess posted:

The national parks here has a "learn to camp" program for immigrants to borrow outdoor gear for free.

There's also a pretty big movement about discussing exclusion of minorities from outdoor activities so the outdoors are super "woke" too. Sorry bud, but none of those activities are only for whities either. Might as well die mad.

It's not just national parks either, features like interpretation are looking at how we teach to remove cultural specific references and to help extend outreach, so anywhere you have interp rangers these conversations are happening. Even folks who design stuff as innocuous as signs are asking for minority input (apparently colors etc come across differently especially to cultures in which the parks haven't played the same role historically).

Parks are working toward being super woke when you are not just looking at maintenance.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Midnight Voyager posted:

If people can't medically wear a mask, they shouldn't be out in public either. Even people with COPD can wear a mask fine. If you can't wear a mask, you're in really bad shape... or maybe something like autistic where it's hard to wear things you aren't used to/that feel weird.

None of those people should be mocked, but I kinda automatically side-eye anyone saying they medically can't wear masks and who are still in public and doing normal poo poo because the worst shitheads in the country have been printing and laminating fake "I am medically exempt" cards.

In my experience, more of the legit "I can't wear a mask" isn't even from like respiratory reasons, it's more severe PTSD, autism, claustrophobia (or something closely related?) or other neuro or pysch reasons. Also, folks I know with those issues have been trying out face shields, making trips during business lulls so they can get out faster, making efforts in work environments to isolate more so they get more maskless time, etc. 100% successful? Maybe not, but they at least looked into alternatives and have given mask life a go before saying they can't.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

mind the walrus posted:

I'm autistic and work with people with ASD/PTSD/Comorbid Disorders who have to wear masks. I also spent time recently working in a hospital wearing masks on 12+ hour shifts. The people claiming they can't wear masks are 99% full of poo poo. Masks can be really uncomfortable and there are conditions that make it hard to tolerate, but that's all it is, and it's not erasure or denigration to say so. The vast majority of people claiming medical exemption just don't want to. And that's fine too! Really, it is. Just y'know... accept the consequences of not being able to practice safe pandemic procedure. Eat the layoff and/or the social alienation like an adult. Own the choice. Don't hide behind some nebulous bullshit.

I mean, I agree, 99% of people saying it are full of poo poo. And I'm happy you and folks your working with are good with the masks, but I am always hesitant to blanket statement re:neuro or psych stuff, and I do apologise if it seemed I did. People who I know struggled have those issues. Maybe they aren't related, but it seemed like they were from explanations given to me, which is all I can base it on. Again I apologise. They all still meet my state's mandates though, just in different ways, or asked for changes from their employer (ie wFH or isolated work space to limit mask requirements). As someone said, it's about accomodations, not out and out dismissal of a public health mandate. Hell, even I've had conditions where myself or a member of my team have had to step away to take a mask off for a few minutes, so I do think some folks may struggle under certain conditions. But accomodations is not the same as a dismissal of the mandate.

Anyone who just filled out some card because they don't want to be inconvenienced can gently caress off. They are like the people with fake service animals.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Hollandia posted:

Some woman came into my partner's business, complained about the contact tracing info card, then tried to list her name as Jane Doe.

:wtfdude:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Bismuth posted:

I just dont wear my glasses with the mask on and make my roomates tell me what signs say

This seems like a bad plan if you are driving.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Bismuth posted:

who wears a mask driving??

I do; I have co-worker passengers relatively regularly.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/RealTargetTori/status/1292121563249160199

Kinda conflicted on this, Danielle should be calling out the non-masked woman over the employee, but if you're going to require masks, enfo Irce it.

Yea, retail and restaurant workers aren't paid enough to deal with the verbal abuse from folks over masks, much less the more physically violent types.

Honestly, we should just shame the antimask people as publicly and loudly as possible to help out our brethren who work in those hellholes.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

killa-pope posted:

Hey, Louisville Kroger employee here.

So first, that guy is a store manager. He is paid enough to deal with that, it is his job to deal with that, and he is explicitly the only person in the store allowed to deal with that.

But second, unlike other stores that have followed through on their mask policies, Kroger absolutely has not. When KY implemented a mask mandate, Kroger’s position was “ask nicely then let them shop.” And now that it is ‘Kroger Policy’ that you have to wear a mask inside the store? Same thing.

Tl;dr: If you want to shop for your groceries somewhere that enforces masks and social distancing, stay far away from any Kroger or Kroger-owned store.

Where I am, the only place that truly enforces is the Costco 60 miles away. No employee want to deal with the absolutely insane backlash. As someone pointed out, a person was shot over this. I hate it, but I understand the apathy. I will grant, as the store manager, he is the one dude paid to deal with poo poo. I thought he was just one of the normal managers, some of whom get paid like poo poo, so sorry about that.

Also, Kroger is just a poo poo company anyway. Expecting competency (no offense) is something I gave up on there decades ago.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Bismuth posted:

Maybe she's worried they're using being close to her as a "test" to see if they really want to transition too. The date more like more like "do i want to be her" rather than "do I want to be WITH her". Its good for them to figure that out but would still kinda suck for her.

But, dating is a two way street. She agreed to go out with them. Maybe she is attracted to people going through similar life experiences as her and has little to do with them looking at her as a "test" or whatever

Her whole attitude over still kind of bothers me. I have an ex who transitioned, and I really just am happy she found who she is, and enjoy the memories of what we had (hilarious and uncomfortable as some of it was). I feel like dating/sex etc is partially about each person learning a little more about themselves. Sure, frequently leads to people not being together, but that is just part of it.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Henchman of Santa posted:

He immediately moves the goal posts to like “the real shame is that we still use these even though plastic is so bad for the environment!”

Reminds me of this clickbait slideshow that Rolling Stone of all places used to promote on Facebook that was something like “40 things millennials won’t recognize.” One of them was floppy disks, a thing I, a 90s baby, used until middle school.

Part of it is because the media keeps redefining the generations (I've seen millennial be 1977 to 2004 at the largest span), even though those people have NO social defining moments in common (being 24 during 9/11 vs not being born; just entering the workforce (mid 80s people) when the Recession happened vs being 3 years old etc).

So, yea a bunch of us "millennials" know what that poo poo is, but that is because millennial keeps being redefined by stupid boomers to mean "someone younger than me whom I don't like."

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Captain Monkey posted:

The point, for Americans, is that their parents/grandparents actually did have remnant cultures from their parents/grandparents that were first-generation immigrants. They also usually lived in small towns or somewhat insular communities. There really were irish and italian ghettos within a generation or two of now. There really are parts of Texas where older people speak German or Czech to this day. The current 2-3 generations of people that exist and are doing that are doing so out of cultural inertia, and that is becoming its own sort of cultural signifier as well. It's a unique situation because since then, people have moved and spread out and culturally acclimated to one that is very, very different than the one their grandparents or great grandparents grew up in before they immigrated. They were also maligned and demeaned by the Anglo-Saxons who started the U.S., and that made cultural heritage a point of pride.

I also think its silly, but it's also ridiculously easy to understand if you take even half a second to think about why a nation of immigrants might not have the same idea of country-specific heritage as a nation that's existed since Rome fell.

This exactly. I grew up in a small town with lots of Scandinavians. Like 1st Gen immigrants are still alive. It was fairly common to hear Swedish or Norwegian get spoken. The churches were heavily influenced by this, there were several festivals around the heritage, businesses built around it, even the industry was influenced by the shear number of Scandinavians the town hosted.

I am only like an eighth Finnish, but I grew up very much identifying with the culture (or at least that particular enclaves' variant) and being proud of it.

Ethnic enclaves are very much a thing that preserve a snapshot in history of a culture along with a blending of the culture of the nation it's in. A lot of Americans were raised in ethnic enclaves, so of course they identify with the culture.

Again, separate from "plastic paddies.". Those people are just ridiculous.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Mr. President🥺🥺 I'm literally sitting here🧎‍♂️crying😭 and throwing up🤮 at this news😔. You are the bravest man💯 I have ever seen👁😩 I named my first son🤰Donald🦧 after you😏. If anything happened to you😦 I don't know what I would do😢. Thank you for ending racism🙏🙏🇲🇾.

That made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

SpacePig posted:

Is there an easier way to describe this? I keep just defaulting to funny anyway, but it's not. It's just bleak in a way that I don't know how to respond so my reaction is to laugh.

I think this might sum it up?:
:stonklol:

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
I mean, people lie about this poo poo. I took FMLA leave for my MIL having cancer (drive her to appts, etc), and I had to get the doctor to sign off that it was justified.

I'm pretty sure when I attended my FIL funeral I brought back the funeral thing (program...?) to actually get my beareavment leave. Granted, if I hadn't it would have just turned into a different type of leave (it does a tentative auto approval that requires a manual confirmation of the leave). But yea, people are poo poo and in two of my very union jobs, these are normal requirements because people are poo poo.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Powered Descent posted:

I tend to do a nearby "easy" problem and then make the corrections to get back to the original question. Like if it's 46*31, I'd start with 45*30 (which is just 450*3, so 900+450 which is 1350), then add another 30 to that (so 1380) to get to 46*30, then add another 46 to it (so 1426) and hey, that's 46*31, neat.

This is literally how my (boomer age) father taught me mental math. He worked in a cannery back in slide rule days, and to do certain calculations for canning etc, you did it on the line, no access to the slide rule. So, you did mental math. That you were sent to school to learn tricks for if your high school sucked so hard they didn't teach you there.

He always told me he actually learned it from his dad, who did the same work, just 30 years earlier...

That was a long way to say, I hate boomers who bitch about "modern math."

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Weatherman posted:

That reminds me, are kids' pyjamas still made from asbestos or whatever tf these days? I remember when I was a kid, manufacturers were all over the FLAME RETARDANT FABRICS or FIRE RESISTANT MATERIALS and I wondered who was keeping open flames in their children's bedrooms.

I've just worn plain old t-shirts and boxers for 30-odd years now and haven't spontaneously (or otherwise) erupted into a conflagration in the bedroom.

inb4 "yes and we're all very disappointed"

also inb4 the low-hanging "I feel sorry for your wife", "i erupted in urmom's bedroom last nite", etc.

My kid's PJs have a separate tag that literally says "keep away from fire"...so somehow I don't think that poo poo is flame retardant

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

The Black Stones posted:

I worked mall security for a couple years and it blew my mind at how many people assumed that open to the public meant publicly owned.

“Hey you’re breaking mall rules, I’m kicking you out”
“You can’t do that! The mall is a public place”
“It’s owned by a private company so they can set whatever rules they want”

Which was a weekly occurrence. Why the hell would the government have any interest in owning malls?

To be fair, public spaces have rules you have to follow too, and you can absolutely loose the "right" to be there by breaking the rules too often or too egregiously.

I hate the "it's public" and "my rights" people. What about other people's right to enjoy the space too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Baron von Eevl posted:

They'll only do that if you show weakness. You need to show them you are the dominant one. Step out into traffic, force eye contact with the driver, make a rude gesture.

You forgot pounding the hood if they dare get to close to you.