Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

Tesla's founder Elon Musk wiped $14bn off its value after tweeting its share price was too high in his opinion.

The tweet also knocked $3bn off Mr Musk's own stake in Tesla as investors promptly bailed out of the company.

You must admit that wiping value at a rate of $500M per character is pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Mak0rz posted:

It's only a matter of time before Musk evolves to the final techbro stage: John McAfee

Musk is too dull to become a McAfee.

He's literally a billionaire married to a rockstar and his life is more boring than the average goon.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

That hashtag really makes me feel ill.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Anora posted:

I need to stop wondering what happened to people I used to watch on TV, cause like 90% of the time it's just "Is a loving idiot fueling other idiots, while being paid for by a Nazi."

I've come round to that way of thinking too.
If you are really lucky, they just got fat.

Likewise I never read the twitter of anyone I really liked/respected. You're only going to be disappointed.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

When you're in a poo poo-filled hole of transphobic hate that you dug yourself....keep publically making GBS threads yourself.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

LordSaturn posted:

I'd only heard that all this started with an episode of IT Crowd around that scenario, i.e. Trans Panic. Dude gets into a slapstick altercation with a woman he'd been dating, due to learning of her (former?) penis. The pushback from that made him mad, and everything since has been him refusing to learn or grow at all.

Even at the time, that episode was very problematic and it aged like a wet turd behind a sofa.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

wizzardstaff posted:

It's very real and it's been operating that way for years. Can't find it right now but I remember an interview with the person who runs it; the thinking is basically "no one is going to read boring poo poo about smoke alarm expiration dates; we can't change the content but we can change the boring".

Smart guy there. That's genius-level thinking.

I suppose the only way you could make a facebook version of this strategy is to release graphics suggesting some kind of conspiracy, or use 'subtle' racism.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Knormal posted:

Yeah, but try telling that to the Ogg Vorbis people.

Just wanted to give this a hearty chuckle of appreciation.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yikes. I like the swastika, and there are all kinds of them, but he chose the straight up, indefensable NSDAP Nazi loving hakencruz. There are 1000's of swastika designs that people wouldn't associate with Nazism for gently caress's sake.

Maybe he should combine this with taking back the raised arm salute that American kids used to do when pledging allegiance at school.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Sexual Aluminum posted:

If a third world child didn't die to unearth it, you don't love me.

Do you think they got confused between lab-grown diamonds and moissanite/cubic zirconia?

I'm pretty sure that once you wipe the third-world child's blood off a natural diamond, it is identical to a lab-grown one

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

So, what is it?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Lumbermouth posted:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. A black hole sucks time and matter out of the Universe; a white hole returns it!

So, that thing's spewing time back into the universe?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

J Detan posted:

I really need to get off Twitter. If I keep seeing poo poo like this I'll pick up a drinking habit.

https://twitter.com/rooshv/status/1262546749698248704

I dunno: I read through the replies and they are 98% people completely dunking on him. Just a never-ending stream of insults about his fragile ego.

It's actually quite affirming to see.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

SiKboy posted:

Off the top of my head, theres one episode of the IT crowd where the boss gets into a relationship with a woman who is perfect for him, when he discovers she's trans he gets into a fistfight with her (played for slapstick). When I saw the episode originally I thought the joke was supposed to be "The boss is such a toxic macho idiot that he throws away his perfect relationship", but apparently Glinner intended the joke to be "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman". He was called out on it (in, IIRC fairly mild "Uh, I dont think you've thought through the implications of what you wrote here Graham" terms), and essentially made a deliberate decision to become Transphobic As gently caress.

trickybiscuits posted:

That's exactly how I read the entire episode too and I am extremely relieved to know that I am not the only one who did.

See, I watched it when it came out and I read the 'joke' was "He punches a woman and its funny because shes trans. Also lol he slept with a transwoman", because all of the 'jokes'/actions were structured that way and it seemed pretty obvious to me that was the whole point of the girlfriend character.

I also remember having a distinct 'hang on, this isn't right: a woman is being punched in the face' moment - not because I am super-woke, but because even back then - without the benefit of others highlighting the problem, it just seemed so obviously wrong.

A later episode has Roy being sexually-assaulted and mocked for it and it only confirmed the previous conclusion.

And I think Linehan is now nuts in a 'mental health' way - he's not just doubling-down on a lovely opinion, he's legit wrong in the head.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Loomer posted:

Every sane (and most of us brokebrains) person - including, as far as I know, Matt Berry - reads the episode that way. His dream woman and he throws it all away through comic mishaps.

Naturally, everyone sane necessarily excludes Glinner.

Edit: man tha is some timing in the this post and the one above

There's a whole extended and pretty graphic fight scene that only works as humour if you think his girlfriend is just a man in a wig.

If you think of her as a woman, it's not only distinctly uncomfortable to watch, it has no basic comedic element to it. It's a man punching a woman in the face - where's the comedy in that?

E: it was a fundamentally-flawed episode at the time and it has only gotten worse with time.

Moo the cow has a new favorite as of 23:15 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Loomer posted:

I do want to clarify that I’m not saying it isn’t transphobic, just that the read at the time for me was of it all as a joke on Matt Berry’s character being a bigoted lunatic who ruined his literal perfect relationship by being an absurdly over the top dickhead. It’s definitely transphobic stuff, especially with Glinner involved, but because of the style of humour that element slipped under the radar and got mixed into the humour of the Reynolds character.

No worries, I don't think anyone thought you were giving it a pass and I completely get where you are coming from.

For me, it happened to be something that hit me quite hard at the time and I've never forgotten that reaction I had. It was something that stuck in my mind and perhaps made me aware about some of the thoughtless prejudices that trans people faced and that I should be consciously aware of them.

Plus, it turns out there are lots of awesome trans goons that I have encountered since then and it makes me more angry with this turd as time goes on.