Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

GreenMetalSun posted:

From the sounds of it, and keep in mind we know very little right now:

1) They're removing racial ability score penalties entirely. No more, 'welp, orcs are just genetically stupid!'
2) You will now (when the book comes out) be able to have your culture/background influence your ability scores, instead of your race. Like, 'your character was a gladiator, +1 strong', or 'your character studied at the wizard school, +1 think'.
Did they bring back racial penalties in 5th Edition? In 4th it was just 'Hobbits are naturally friendly and agile have some +2s'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Where D&D has always failed is that the game is fundamentally about hitting guys with stuff until they fall down. By any measurement you'd want to use, that's what the game books end up being primarily focused around. Having non 'hitting guys with stuff' stats and skills is nice but they never make it actually equitable or workable.

Any character can walk up to a door and pretty much every single DM in the world will let them roll a dice and compare it to some number on their sheet and see if they can just smack it open by force because the number says their character is strong enough to do that.

However, in almost every single D&D game that I've ever experienced or seen played, a person who has a number on their sheet saying that their character is smart enough to do something doesn't get to walk up to a puzzle and roll a dice and smart it open by cunning. Likewise the poor sap who put his high number into being friendly; good luck tossing a dice and convincing that Storm Giant to sit down and talk out the whole kidnapped Princess thing (without a lot of dumb hoop jumping 'what do you say? let's play act it out' 'you didn't make Tim play act out putting his shoulder through the door' 'no but that's because it just says on his sheet that he's strong').

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just rolling to solve the puzzle might be less fun, though. I mean, in many cases stuff like "search for traps" or "disable trap" or "unlock door" or "cast spells" or "copy spell down to your book" or, indeed, depending on context, "how persuasive you can be with this noble" are things you can actually roll for or just do automatically with the right skill on your character sheet, but sometimes there are situations where "roll to obviate the problem" would just be anti-climactic. Feats of strength aren't usually on that list of things you'd rather do yourself, unless you're into really intense LARPing.
Which is fine and good and a lot of games handle it exactly that way. D&D, unfortunately, has you write down on your character sheet (on every single character sheet) a 'How Good This Character Is At Solving Puzzles' number that you don't get to use to solve puzzles in the same way that the 'Break Down Doors' number breaks down doors.

(But this is super duper off topic and should probably head over to the TG forum assuming it's still around. Sorry, just poked a button in my head.)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I've seen this post a few places now and I still can't figure out what he was trying to reference with it.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Nazzadan posted:

Aren't most MST3K jokes just making a funny little riff about what the next line would be, not "this plot makes no sense" or "poo poo pee pee he wouldn't say that." Like every standout MST joke in my head is just some nonsensical dumb poo poo that makes me laugh
Why would anyone want to do that with Mitchell, Joel?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Gamers can have a little misogyny as a treat.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I want to know more. I need to try to understand what this person thinks happens in court and in the mind of the willing death penalty applicant.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I'm very glad I wasn't the only person to see this and immediately go "Dana Carvey? Oh noooooo"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Biplane posted:

I just give up and concede the victory to capitalism. I'll eat whatever palm oil marinated prime beef they shove in my face until I die gasping for air in the broiling atmosphere.
My wife and I had a discussion about a year ago where we came to this same conclusion. We're not having kids, both for ethical reasons and because neither of us have ever even wanted children the tiniest bit and other than the possibility of family we're both basically just tiny cogs in a hideous giant inhuman machine. We do our best but neither of us are going to lose sleep over palm oil because... like... why? One of the chefs we watch on youtube had a whole video up about the palm oil problem a little while ago and it was informative but the actual impact either of us could have regarding any of the concerns is so minimal that it's probably healthier for us mentally to just shrug our shoulders and say 'yup, one more thing that sucks right now in this world'. As long as Earth and Society last for being generous another 80 years or so that's probably where we're going to stand on a lot things; do what we can but acknowledge that it won't amount to anything and will likely not change anything.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

quote:

"WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?

"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"

NO

"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."

THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.

"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"

A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.”

They walked in silence for a moment.

“Ah,” said Susan dully. “Trickery with words. I would have though you’d have been more literal-minded than that.”

I AM NOTHING IF NOT LITERAL-MINDED. TRICKERY WITH WORDS IS WHERE HUMANS LIVE.

“All right,” said Susan. “I’m not stupid. You’re saying humans need… fantasies to make life bearable.”

REALLY? AS IT IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

“Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-”

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

“So we can believe the big ones?”

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Bismuth posted:

I would have loved to see ginger thor, i love gingers
In at least one story during Peter David's run writing Hulk, Hulk and friends travel to Asgard and meet a ginger Thor who claims to be the real Thor.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Going to Mars was a genuine luxury "oh that'd be a cool thing" when I was loving 5 years old in the 1990s and the internet/collapse of the USSR had the culture on a prolonged optimism boner. That poo poo stopped being realistic the instant 9/11 happened, and anyone who thinks it's a good idea in the intervening quarter century is a moron, a con man, or both.
The other thing is that we've gotten so much better at gathering data through machines that there isn't really a reason to actually send some people up to walk around on Mars with their big dumb human feet. We can gather the same, if not better, information by sending a much cheaper one way little robot buddy out there and have it do all the actually difficult work.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: It should be noted that the Paragon/Renegade approach is supposed to be somewhat similar to Jade Empire's; Shepard is always going to be a hero, you're basically just choosing if you want Shepard to be a by-the-books diplomatic hero or a loose-cannon cop who doesn't play by the rules but gets results damnit. Unfortunately, most of the major choices sucked at that and did boil down to good or evil pretty quickly, and a lot of the Paragon choices were just materially better to take. The reporter might stand out because it's one of the few times (at least, that they were tracking and reporting) where Renegade actually is getting close to the stated mission statement of Renegade.
One of the phenomenal things about Mass Effect is how they tried to sell the Paragon/Renegade thing as 'Your Choices Will Matter' when, of course, they did not matter at all. I think it was HBomberguy's video that points out that choosing to allow the Council to die in the climax to Mass Effect 1 results in... a new council of the exact same alien makeup but wearing different clothes taking power in Mass Effect 3 but my absolute favorite Paragon/Renegade cheat was again from ME1 with the last Rachni Queen.

Everything that you're told as a player about the Rachni and that Shepard learns from talking to people through the game make it seem like the Rachni are literally the worst; the British Empire if they were also the xenomorphs from Aliens. So Shepard finds out that Evil (In This Game) Cerberus has somehow found, saved and spawned a Rachni hive and trapped the very very last Rachni Queen on a planet to use as a weapon against the non-human races. Shepard clears out the base and has the queen at her mercy and the queen says that all she wants is to live peacefully on a farm upstate somewhere with her babies. You can choose to let the Rachni go as the Paragon option or exterminate them as the Renegade.

When the game came out, basically everyone that I knew who was playing was shocked that my Shepard very easily chose to drown the queen in acid because she had no idea if the queen was lying and because having just fought through an entire hive of the things she knew firsthand how awful they could be as enemies. One of the things I heard repeatedly was 'well you're going to miss out on whatever cool scenes and events I'm going to get when the Rachni come back in the later games!'

So in Mass Effect 3 the Rachni do come back -- only it doesn't matter at all which choice the player made in Mass Effect 1; if you chose to destroy them then the evil space robots brought the Rachni back with dark science, cloning, secrets on the Reapers know. If you chose to spare the queen then they all just got corrupted by the evil space robots and either way you get to fight through another hive of Rachni.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Holy moly I thought the 17 acre purchase was dumb but that 75 property purchase takes the cake
Just wait until his fusion powered baby cryonics storage concept takes off! Then we'll see who's laughing.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

BrigadierSensible posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what Twitter rules are discriminating against her? If she has an aversion to telling lies, how is that against Twitter?

Or is she a nutjob conspiracy person that thinks "Communist lizard people from Mars invented the vaccine to turn us all gay" is the gospel truth, and twitter will ban her for saying that?
She's not allowed to be openly bigoted to trans people, op.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I barely know the try guys but I thought it was funny eve6 guy was dunking on that dork on Twitter
This drama is the most interesting thing that has happened with the Try Guys in probably three years. They've largely stopped trying things and now make "'"comedy"'" videos of them hanging around their office or making very bad food. My wife watches all their videos and she literally hadn't noticed Ned being edited out of the videos because for most of the last few years most of their content hasn't featured all four of them at once (she thinks because Eugene doesn't even really want to be a Try Guy any more).

'Can we do it while we're sitting down' seems to be the first question asked of any video pitch.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I think my issue with it isn't that I'm beyond celebrity drama, just that calling these people celebrities stretches the definition. Maybe I'm just out of touch, I thought the Adam Levine stuff was funny because I knew who Adam Levine was before today. I do think there's a difference between someone with multiple Grammys and a judge on a massively popular network television show and some dude on a popular youtube channel.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Kchama posted:

He's one of the prime examples of "being famous lets you get away with anything". In the low-stakes world of novels, he's one of kings of being protected despite being an awful person.
I've always thought that Asimov is like the prime example of the way that the culture we exist in shapes the kind of person that we are; Asimov was clearly a pretty smart guy and generally prided himself on being perceptive and aware of the world but he was a serial groper who made being a serial groper a big part of his public persona and character. If he'd been born in 1960 instead of 1920 would he have prided himself on serially harassing and abusing women? I kind of think not but I might just be trying to give an author whose work I respect an 'out'. What he did for years and years was gross and awful and not in any way acceptable and it hurts me a little to know that someone whose writings I enjoyed was a lovely lovely person.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Telling the whole world that you've never cleared 50cc Flower Cup.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

Dickens was really good about writing his misers not just assholes, but as genuinely miserable people who at best lived hollow lives.
Netflix has a new dreadful animated musical version of A Christmas Carol up and running for the holiday season. And for some reason they give Scrooge a loyal dog who loves him very much. It's awful but because I love the story so much I still teared up a tiny bit on Christmas morning when Scrooge is reuniting with Fred (who also gets renamed in the Netflix movie for some reason).

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Jurassic World did a lot wrong and was a bad movie but one of the few things I like was Henry Wu's little comment that they weren't even trying to make "real" dinosaurs; all they wanted was theme park monster attractions.

Also, our current hypothesis about what a feathered T-Rex might have actually looked like is ugly as hell.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I have never seen Song of the South available in any form, nor ever heard "Baby It's Cold Outside" played anywhere.
I don't remember it but I think Song of the South was rereleased at some point when I was very young. I do remember having a pair of Disney branded Br'er Rabbit hardcover children's books when I was a kid one of them featuring the Tar Baby story.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

old bean factory posted:

I think I stopped following when he made a video telling people to sub to PewDiePie so some Indian music channel didn't have the top subscription count. Like who loving cares.
I remember when that was a story and being completely lost as to how anyone could possibly care who had the most subscribers. Like... how is that even a thing you can have enough brain space to track or pay attention to?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Coolness Averted posted:

A WB themed Smash bros rip off just shuttered 'temporarily' and there are a bunch of sane takes on the internet
This was the game where Velma from Scooby Doo was a playable character and her super move was calling the police to drag away her opponent, right?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

I assume there's a thinly veiled mind control fetish plot at some point then.
So when Magma was originally introduced she was from a hidden colony of ancient toga wearing Julius Caesar re-enacting Romans from deep in the Amazon rain forest that was ruled by

this person. Who, in addition to the obvious superhuman fashion sense also has mind control powers.

This is important to note because later on, it is revealed that there was never such a place as the magic ancient roman colony in the Amazon and that evil fetish lady was just kidnapping people from England, brainwashing them to think that they were ancient romans and hanging out with them in a marble city in the Amazon for... reasons.

Only later on, after Naked Fire Lady was critically injured in one of the various comic events she is healed by another X-Men character who has healing powers and the healing reveals that that set of brainwashing was actually the fake one and she really is from a Roman city in modern day Brazil that also still exists and randomly turns up in occasional X-Men stories to this very day.

So, yes, there might be some mind control in there.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

Then, of course, loving Sweden had to win because of the juries rather than one of the good acts and-
This thread was the worst way to find out that the best Eurovision act this year came in second.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Cleretic posted:

This actually surprises me less than some others, because apparently part of what Reddit's doing involves cutting off the ability for third-party access to mature and NSFW content, which is going to make moderating anywhere that has to watch out for that stuff basically impossible.

That doesn't just affect the porn subreddits (although yeah, obviously), but also any subreddits specifically trying to be completely safe-for-work.
Here's where I out myself as a complete idiot non-reddit user but doesn't reddit have it's own first party mobile app that functions for moderation? Why is having third party access to the website important? I'm not trying to be hostile or defend the decision to cut off the access; I just literally don't understand what the controversy is about and why people are seemingly so upset.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

I hate this tweet. I ran into this guy's youtube channel at one point and his singing is actually really good and I enjoyed it. I didn't bother trying to learn anything more about him and he was just 'youtube guy who occasionally posts cover songs'. And now, of course, it turns out he's a bigoted rear end in a top hat and that's just great.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

tokin opposition posted:

It just keeps going and going and one of the posts is "d&d was made by a Jehovah's witness and a Nazi guy!!" like that's not a reason to change it.
I saw that post when I clicked on the twitter link in order to actually read all of the images and the first thing my brain gave me when he was talking about the Nazi D&D guy was "Is that the world with the ducks?" but it turns out, no, the D&D Nazi created a setting even less well known than 'That One Fantasy World That Has Duck People For Some Reason'.

If changing a few words in the D&D core set is all that it takes to drive these nerds out of tabletop gaming I hope that they will keep changing more and more words forever.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Nuebot posted:

Most fantasy media, and especially stuff that came out more than like twenty years ago, is pretty racist tbh. D&D in particular is steeped in it because it was created by a guy who was pretty proud of his lovely racist ideas, and the ones he cribbed off of the racist fantasy he liked to read. And a lot of that poo poo hasn't really gone away either, people just tend to only really bring it up when they're mad it's being thrown in the trash. Like, people don't talk all that much about how pretty much every one of the horde races in Warcraft are just various non-white cultural stereotypes painted in neon colours, and even before blizzard was super well known for being a trash fire of a company any attempt to discuss it would usually just be met by people shrugging their shoulders and not caring. Until any of the jokes or content was touched up or toned down in any way. Then people would be real mad about it.
One of the things that you don't ever really think about as a kid playing D&D or other fantasy games is that there's almost always this real fundamental baked in thing where entire races of creatures in the game are violent raiders and slavers and murderers and that's just how it is and you're never assumed to ask any questions about it.

'Goblin raiders are attacking settlements near the Whitepeak Mountains!' If the settlements were being attacked by (non-Dark) Elves or Dwarves or something the adventure would be 'Why is this happening? Let's figure out what's going on.' but because the people doing the attacking are Goblins the solution is 'go out to the mountains, find the goblin cave lair and murder everything inside'. In D&D, especially older editions, the kind of hilarious thing was that there were literally entire races of bad guy monsters you could battle all the way up the level ladder; you start out clearing Kobold warrens but move on to Goblin slums, Hobgoblin villages, Orc warbands, Bugbear hordes and so on and so on.

I was one of the kids who played D&D and it was just the way things were and you were never asked to think about it and, at least back in the 90s and early 2000s, even the published game worlds and settings just rolled with it. It wasn't until I was like a grown up adult, sadly, that my brain finally went 'Wait if they have like blacksmiths and leatherworkers and animal trainers and wheelwrights and everything then they're just like... people. All the orcs and goblins and giants and stuff are just different kinds of people and my characters have spent the last decade plus going to their homes kicking in the doors and murdering everybody'.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I remember as a kid I played some early MMO, and I was grinding levels wandering around a goblin village with tents just killing the residents. It wasn't even a quest, just good leveling.
I looted one and it had like, a shell necklace or something, and I suddenly realized that these goblins were making art. Just... they had art, culture, language, homes. I was just stomping around their village murdering them as soon as they stepped outside. I didn't have a revelatory moment of virtual conscience and swear the game off forever or anything, but it did permanently change how I think about race in fantasy settings.
Yeah, I haven't sworn off gaming forever or anything like that. I still play D&D and a lot of PC and some console games; the assumptions of the game settings are just something that I am more aware of now and spend some time thinking about while I play.

One of my all-time favorite games is Fallout: New Vegas and it is interesting because nearly everyone and everything that tries to murder the PC as they wander through the area have actual reasons that they might want to do that. There are still micro-factions like the Jackals and Vipers who don't actually want anything and are just coded as 'detect character - run towards and shoot; no dialogue' but the majority of enemies in the game only become your enemy after you've made decisions that would make them behave that way.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

Xvarts are just goblins with a stupid name

This is Bullywug erasure.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Horses aren't even real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk4G2wuGKJE

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

This is my favorite piece of Gods and Generals related media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3E2FdedPwU

His whole channel is fun if you justifiably hate the Confederacy.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some people still think that the made-in-Thailand Moomin mugs they bought for 24,95€ each are actually worth something on the "collectors' market" because traders pay the tabloids to run "IS YOUR MOOMIN MUG WORTH 3 500 000 000€?!?!?" adverticles every second month, stating prices that you have to pay if you want to buy one from a trader. It's weird.
I remember a couple of years ago when they tried that with the mass market Disney VHS tapes. Is YOURS worth $5,000? No, no it is not. I'm happy that collectible garbage has now swerved completely into the secondary scam of 'graded' collectibles so that when I go to the thrift store with my wife I don't have to see people trying to sell Lady and the Tramp on VHS for $150.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Ever since I noticed that the full title is "The Transformers: The Movie" my brain has hurt.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Kantesu posted:

Neither Ozy nor Rorschach are heroes and at the end of the day they both represent different aspects of the same broken impulse. Most of the side characters are just straight up better people than than any of the masked crime fighters, and the only side characters that live through Ozy's plan are the Nazi editor and his intern.
The thing that almost nobody ever notices (which drives me crazy) is that, at the end of the book, right before Squidmageddon, you get a sequence of scenes where Malcolm and Steve are both on the street and one by one they decide that, even though it's not in their own personal interest, they need to do something to help Aline and break up her fight with Joey. It's literally a direct refutation of both Ozymandias' and Rorschach's perception of the world and "the people" and then they all get blown up by the big plan.

EDIT: Bernard throwing himself in front of / on top of Bernie is also part of the same sequence and also counts.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s been 30 years let the jelly donuts thing go
One of the last good episodes of Binging With Babish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RentKWlhUXc

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Gervasius posted:

What happened to him? I kinda tuned out when he became boring, did he do something terrible?
I don't think anything significant 'happened' to him. My experience with him is basically the same as yours; he ran out of actual food from movies and tv shows that anybody knows and started spinning off into general (not great) cooking videos and new shows for his channel (he was one of the dozens of people who tried, unsuccessfully, to find something in front of camera for Sohla El-Waylly to do) and I eventually unsubscribed from his channel.

I don't keep up on Food YouTube gossip so I don't actually know if he's been canceled for anything. While I was still watching he bought a very expensive place in New York and got "married" by Joel McHale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

NoiseAnnoys posted:

what's the issue with her? i only see her on bon apetit's stuff and she seems okay?
There's no issue with her. She's a really good chef who isn't exactly suited to being a YouTube Personality; she doesn't have the kind of outgoing, catchphrase laden, wild-n-wacky character that makes for 'content' so attempts to, like, give her a magic spinning wheel that has ingredients on it to see what craaaaazy dish she has to make have not succeeded.