Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I personally think Kyle is the analogue to Karen. It just screams entitlement, he does MMA in his back yard, wears monster energy drink clothes, and pretends to be a navy seal in bars and picks fights. They're definitely married, Kyle and Karen, if they aren't perfect analogues. Plus you got the one K away thing from completing the trashy trifecta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Get to know more Kyles then because the internet is already on board with the Kyle meme

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knowyourmeme.com/memes/kyle

Guilty
May 3, 2003

How does he not know the national dish of the UK????

https://medium.com/@sbwardle/englands-national-dish-chicken-tikka-masala-23d9986c736f

Guilty
May 3, 2003

T-man posted:

Kind of. My understanding is that the term comes from angry queer people to refer derisively to the Reproductive Citizens Atomic Family model that they were so often told was the only right way to be.

Breeder came long before queer people, it's how angry middle class white people referred to what they consider lower class trashy people who couldn't behave in public. People were slinging this term all over SA long before queers could openly post here. Don't blame this one on queer people

Guilty
May 3, 2003

d3lness posted:

I vote the LBGT community officially take the term. Right to bear arms and whatnot.

Nah, me, and like 99% of the queer people I work with in the UK and Germany don't give a gently caress about straight people or care what they're doing with their lives. We have more important things to worry about in our lives.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

"long before queer people"

what year were we invented?

long before queer people started using it, I thought that was clear from the context, but I guess you really had to stretch for that one didn't you?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

it wasn't clear to me from the context, but i'm admittedly stupid! still don't think whether we were allowed to be open about our queerness on SA or not has any relevance whatsoever to whether the term was used in queer culture before it made it to childfree forums (it was, it was used among queers at least as early as the 1970s, although it was surely also used among straights before that as well) but again, i'm admittedly stupid!

I was putting it into SA history context, just remembering the forums when I first signed up, Goons were calling trashy people Breeders before gay goons could post without being called a fag. I'm not in any way trying to call out SA forums in general, it was the zeitgeist at the time, and as a gay man who posted here during those days I realise this and don't harbor any butthurt feelings.

I just wanted to point out that the term Breeder was a derogatory term that used to mean trashy people who couldn't control their kids long before queer people started using it

Guilty
May 3, 2003

I think that's a pretty good take from a woman of color?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

sugar mouse posted:

Ah yeah agreed. I keep forgetting to go out for the NHS clap and I'm sure it's very quickly turned into some kind of social requirement here. Don't get me wrong, I think I speak for the whole country when I say we love our NHS so much right now but I seem to have more evening social arrangements than I ever did before lockdown that keep getting in the way.

This is an extremely British sentiment, Catholic guilt wrapped in British arrogance.

No one cares if you clap or not.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

sugar mouse posted:

But actually, people do take note. I've seen more than a few Facebook posts moaning that their street isn't taking part enough.

Yes. The British stereotype is real.
These are probably the same people that panic bought all the PPE equipment at the start of the crisis, so their opinions on the NHS mean exactly 0

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i've never heard the weirdly passive aggressive british national personality summed up so well as this tbh

Thanks, although to be fair it takes a Catholic to recognise a Catholic

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've no idea where I read it, but my first techbro invention experience was a gushing retrospective of how they came up with the idea of taxes, because they spent so long talking about every single step of the way, from figuring out how to do group purchases, to the idea of a communal chest that everyone paid into, to their astonishing brilliance in realizing that okaying each purchase was a hassle and a half, so they eventually came up with electing represantives who had the authority to decide how to spend the money in the communal chest.

I can sort of comprehend being so sheltered that you've never heard of buses, vending machines or communal living, but I've no idea what their excuse was. Even tax dodgers are keenly aware that they're expected to share and just refuse to.

It's called having your head so far up your own rear end you literally can't see reality anymore

Guilty
May 3, 2003

there wolf posted:

The angry black man/woman trope is really about framing black people as inherently irrational and bullying, and even less than human as a result of that. It doesn't matter if their anger at the government is righteous (let's face it, it's because their anger is righteous and society needs to take that power away) because it's coming from a black man it's going to be paranoid, misdirected, and end in some overkill reaction way out of proportion for the actual offense.

In addition to this, I just want to emphasize as there wolf did, the key word is 'irrational'. Black people can't be trusted to mete out a reasoned, calm response like white people can. See the recent lockdown protests. I guarantee you will never in your life see a protest of black people with so many automatic weapons without the police or military trying to actively gun them down. When white people have 'righteous anger' (put into quotes in this case because those guys are morons), they are having a 'rational' discussion. When black people have righteous anger they are unreasonable animals that cannot be trusted.

I framed that whole paragraph in a way that sounds like I am a white supremacist, but I just want to point out the hypocrisy and why the angry, irrational black person stereotype is actively harmful and lovely and should be called out.

edit: from what I remember from the original, which I played ages ago, the thing that got me the most about Barrett was that he was supposed to be this 3 dimensional character with several facets, he's a father, he's the leader of an eco-terrorist cell that's the good guys, and he's out for revenge. But most of his dialogue was never any exposition about any of the events going on. He just sort of waved his little cylinders in the angry black man trope and yelled for his daughter while all the white characters explained everything that was happening in the game.

Guilty has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Apr 24, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003

MizPiz posted:

Tired: 5G spreads covid

Wired: Sound spreads covid

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1253800238386741250?s=19

Here's my wild baseless speculation, can we just accept this as true and make it a priority right now? Let's start redesigning some restaurants

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I looked it up, and reddit was basically unanimous in their condemnation, including points like the above post about kids needing more sleep at that age, pointers about how to actually parent a child at that age, and offering help in restoring the file.

I'm not an AITA connoisseur, but from the stories I've looked up, they seem to be on the mark when the poster is the rear end in a top hat.

I'm an AITA connoisseur and there's a reason why there's an entire thread on SA dedicated to the subreddit. It's because everyone in that subreddit is a dumbass, including the mods.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

x ampersand oh posted:

None of these things are true, for the record.

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding? She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.
(Yes it's true that I'm an old school fan of hers but I only remember this bc I was doing a news blog for a record store when she got married and I wrote an article on it.)

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.
A few pages back, just wanted to chime in and say I'm a friend of Gaiman's friend, I've stayed at that Chabon house and spent a weekend with Gaiman, and this is all true. He is back in the UK and decided to quarantine here. I don't know why, I haven't spoken with him since January.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Oh hey CNN
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/americas/venezuela-maduro-americans-failed-invasion-intl/index.html

Guilty
May 3, 2003
God, that's like peak whiteness. Incorporating Chinese astrology into their child's name.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
So here's a crosspost from the r/relationships thread, but here's a video from 2015 or 2016, can't remember of a whole bunch of white people celebrating The Motherland - Africa! at a morning rave, complete in animal print skins and bones through the face with white dread locks and watermelon decorations. For people who don't know what a morning rave is, it's a place where granola mommies and financial bros can gather at like 5AM or 6AM until 8AM when they have to go back to work and pretend like they're still at a rave, except there's no alcohol and your fruit smoothies are just as good as MDMA. Also there's group yoga and other stupid poo poo like that. Only costs 100 quid per ticket.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=1273556289398252&ref=watch_permalink

Guilty
May 3, 2003

GreenMetalSun posted:

The third leading cause of death in America is 'accidents/unintentional injury' of which I assume medical errors are some percentage. However if you were to split it up into individual types of accidents, falls/work-related deaths/drowning/etc., it would push everything down below the top 10 and bump 'chronic respiratory illness' up to #3.

I think she actually believes that medical errors are the third leading cause of death in America, as many conspiracy theorists do. Here's a break down of why it's stupid, complete with sources: https://respectfulinsolence.com/2019/02/13/medical-errors-2019/

Guilty
May 3, 2003

nexus6 posted:

This is loving amazing. The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'? The heart is a brain?

My heart has a brain (that's controlled by my dick)

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

https://twitter.com/bronzeswords/status/1247908653396414466
Here you go

That's basically the argument the guy makes: "desire for dominance" here means "wanting to be dominated".
Apparently the game centers around a hyper capitalist crony-capitalist "authoritarian" landlord named Tom Nook who controls your life and the whole point of the game is to please and appease him, which betrays the liberal desire to follow and obey authoritarians, and conservatives don't like that which is obviously why conservatives don't play Animal Crossing. Incidentally his source for "conservatives don't play Animal Crossing, its players are mostly leftists" is... based on nothing. He has no facts to support it, it's just how he feels. But you better believe he's shouting down everyone in the comments for not backing up their arguments RATIONALLY and with DATA.

I read this the other day, saw there was like 14 posts in a row. In post number two he uses, as the very fundamental basis of his reasoning, the "fact" that emotions = feminine and logic/fact/reason = masculine. And then it just got worse and worse from there

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Data Graham posted:

They sure do want to just double back down on "men are from Mars, women are from Venus, and there exists nothing more complicated about humanity"

He also has something about trans people being also from Venus in case anyone was wondering since trans people do something called postmodernism that's based purely on emotion and my brain is broken from trying to translate all of this idiocy

Guilty
May 3, 2003
You'd think he'd at least try to make it funny or extremely wild. He starts with a good premise. But it's just boring as gently caress to read

Guilty
May 3, 2003

kinda surprised they contacted her directly instead of the husband first.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Walton Simons posted:

Maybe it's already been posted, but this steaming pile of horseshit appeared on my feed today, courtesy of a family friend with bad opinions:

Most of it the usual boomer stuff but the mention of the McDonalds Hot Coffee case has me raging, what Stella Liebeck went through was nasty was gently caress and to see it presented is 'she spilled some coffee on her and got lots of money for it, what a world!' has dampened my mood immensely.

Famed newspaper 'The London Times'

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Data Graham posted:

According to Wikipedia "The London Times" is a generally used name for The Times outside of the UK.

That does not however mean I believe for a moment that it printed that "obituary", like wtf

Huh, never knew this. It's just called the Times here, in London, where the headquarters are. There's no such thing as the London Times here. Crazy.

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jia Tolentino is a well respected writer for the New Yorker (formerly at Jezebel) and apparently her family was involved in human trafficking.

I feel like I'm in crazy pants world because everyone is defending her human trafficking parents??? I mean a $20,000 loan for transportation and half your American salary plus 60% interest is a totally normal cost of relocation, right????

Guilty
May 3, 2003

There was something about this I liked a lot. I think it's the fact that people were so incredibly stupid everywhere without being huge gigantic political assholes about it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I know if I were planning a mass conspiracy to poison every human alive I'd call it an easy to decipher code and force people to interact with that name repeatedly

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Whatever you think Glinner thinks he's saying, it's probably something even stupider, like "if two trans women are dating they're actually just gay men in denial gotcha"

Glinner is 100% wrong a complete piece of poo poo. That being said, one of the world's leading queer theorists Michel Foucault tried to make a case that gay desires were rooted in trans bodies in his critique of Zambinella. It's only in fairly recent writings (say post 1990's) that are arguing for a theory of trans people existing independently of homo/hetero divide. Emma Heaney's New Woman was published in 2017.

That being said, I'm a thousand percent sure Foucault would re-evaluate his writings as all good theorists do as new information comes up and if a 90 year old grandmother could change her thinking and beliefs because she's grown smarter, anyone can.

Glinner is 100% wrong and a complete piece of poo poo.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I wanted to post about how I loud I was cackling at mobility scooter Karen getting blasted in the face with the fire extinguisher but then felt like crying as the next post right after it was the abuse of a possibly autistic child. This thread is a wild ride

edit: did a bit of background research, definitely autistic. my bad.

Guilty has a new favorite as of 14:30 on May 28, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003

It boggles my mind that the only thing keeping this man from becoming the next mass murderer is 'Jesus'

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Maybe she can co-sign Trump's twitter manifesto or whatever the gently caress he's trying to pass as law right now

Guilty
May 3, 2003
can we put craigslist stuff on here?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Thanks boss!

Guilty
May 3, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

The official autopsy actually also said he died of underlying conditions and the neck thing was a coincidence.

Didn’t mention what they were though

yeah he also had 'potential intoxicants' which could mean literally anything in the world. A speck of dust inhaled from the tailpipe of the police car he was forced under is a potential intoxicant.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I never ever thought I'd see the day where the 3rd amendment would be brought up in any situation ever

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I mean, really why stop at 53%? Why not make it 5 billion percent and count all the sperms sprayed into a napkin or in the bushes outside your house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Man Raymond Chandler's later stuff really blows