Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Skwirl posted:

Less crimes against humanity, more crimes against fashion

https://twitter.com/appuntito160/status/1274409428997959680

Not the worst part of their ensembles, but you aren't supposed to wear a hat indoors.

Colinrobinson looking pretty dapper there. Wonder if he has any interesting stories about that hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

...mycologists?

Sounds like a fun guy! :dadjoke:

Not mush room for argument there! :dadjoke:

He certainly... towed a... stool... gently caress it

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Sorry about my shiit take on that guys

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/1278316325044056064

I loving wish.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Runcible Cat posted:

The Elon Musk of 1818.

"...a strange sight suddenly attracted our attention and diverted our solicitude from our own situation. We perceived a low carriage, fixed on a sledge and drawn by dogs, pass on towards the north, at the distance of half a mile; a being which had the shape of a man, but apparently of gigantic stature, sat in the sledge and guided the dogs. We watched the rapid progress of the traveller with our telescopes and were perplexed when the carriage slammed straight into a pedestrian and burst into flames for no apparent reason."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

FFT posted:

I may need to recalibrate my monitor, it's clearly purple on my phone.

It's OK, magenta doesn't really exist.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

AlbieQuirky posted:

“Bought these jimmies down to the packie”

My (Boston suburbs) wife moved to the UK and found out really quickly that she shouldn't be asking what to get at the packie.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

rodbeard posted:

That book cover is supposed to be "look at us we have abs now", but all I see is "pounded in the butt by my giantess daughter"

Made this when the book came out

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

I'm not sure 'Lord Shepherd Tulips d'Medici' is being entirely serious.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Sparks, cause it's called sparks.

I doubt Sparks is big enough for more than one person, frankly.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Skwirl posted:

California was also a country for about a month between leaving Mexico and joining the USA. That's why the state flag says California Republic instead of just California.

Runs into thread a page late, panting and smelling slightly of weed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Republic

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

I thought the teens on tiktok thought it was Helen Keller who was a fraud. Maybe it’s both?

Probably an audience for Anne Frank/Helen Keller fanfic.

They need to keep the noise down, but Keller's being loud and Frank doesn't know how to tell her.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Could you repeat this post but instead put the words “social media” in bold?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Knormal posted:

So what was this?

A tweet about how great Andy Ngo's book is from someone who presumably is either Mumford or one of his sons.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

What the gently caress is regular Bobby like

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

learnincurve posted:

As a rule we don’t use “un” when it comes to inventing terminology for groups of people, because it’s dehumanising and wrong.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Check out their website, it's a wonderland of... well, that kind of stuff.

edit: stealing this for the marketing thread

Unkempt has a new favorite as of 12:58 on May 16, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

Sitting here imagining all the hosed up naughty words those ***’s represent and lolling

I can only get 'rear end poos' which is most poos, really.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Samovar posted:

It makes sense that 'fag' for cigarette came from the original bundle of sticks for burning... I mean, what is a cigarette (and a cheap cigarette at that) if not a bundle of twigs you light up?

'Fag end' as a discarded remnant of something comes from around 1600, before cigarettes, so I assume 'fag' for cigarette is a back formation; if all those discarded cigarette butts are fag ends then a fag must be a cigarette.

Can't find anything that explicitly says so, though. Could well be wrong. Also doesn't explain 'fag end' in the first place. 5:30 AM, why aren't I asleep?

E: https://www.etymonline.com/word/fag seems to back this up, no mention of it coming from the bundle of sticks.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Yeah, that's the one I'd get.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Wank with one arm, shoot with the other. Balance.

Biathlonanism.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Predator predator predator

Common name, the Western Lowland Predator.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

I think the lesson here is that she should use some loving brackets. And also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRa-7A0BDCc&t=172s

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

MisterOblivious posted:

It's awesome that he thinks he's beaten the system after having done absolutely no research on the running costs.

MSP to DEN, round trip 1360 miles. $56.
A cheap rental from a club will do that $56 round trip in 12 hours, at $125 per hour.

Well that's way cheaper than a deformed cartoon lion so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I remember having a really hard time laughing at sitcoms because "holy poo poo these people are being terrible to each other" was how I saw it.

Meanwhile, my parents would crack up over how people treated each other in shows like "Everybody Loves Raymond" because "That's like real life" and I was all "yeah, explains why I need so much therapy".

Have you seen 'Kevin Can gently caress Himself'? Because you probably should.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Is it on Neflix/Hulu/Disney+? Otherwise I can't.

It's AMC, though I think I saw it somewhere else.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

I forget, who's Bari Weiss?

Der Walrus von Love.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes and my post was I see no reason to think that post isn’t sincere?

I know people want to be smug by calling everything fake but that’s tedious and those idiots should be bullied into silence

I don't think he was serious about that whole 'gullibility' thing.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

He might have been like Le Petomane who could apparently suck air in through his anus before squeezing it out again, thus making it not, technically, a fart. But it probably still smelled a bit because it had been up his bottom.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

There was a football guy in the UK a few years back who was (or at least said he was) Buddhist and he got in a lot of poo poo for saying that disabled people were disabled because of something bad they'd done in a previous life. Ron somebody? Can't remember.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was this somebody raised buddhist or a white dude that read some books by the Dalai Lama? Cuz while buddhism does generally teach that your past-life conduct influences your current birth (eg Hitler would come back as a roach), it does not teach making GBS threads on people like "your dad's an alcoholic? You deserve it!" You're supposed to be as upstanding as possible until you attain the status of boddhisatva and break out of the cycle, at which point your job is to help other souls get out. making GBS threads on people is not upstanding. At least that's my understanding, IANAB.

Well it was driving me crazy so I had to google it and he wasn't a buddhist at all - it was Glenn Hoddle, who claimed to be a 'born again Christian' but also shat this out:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/30/newsstory.sport7 posted:

'I have got an inner belief and an inner faith with God. I do believe spiritually we have to progress because we've been here before. The physical body is just an overcoat for your spirit. At death you take the overcoat off and your spirit will go on to another life in a spirit dimension.
'I think we make mistakes when we are down here and our spirit has to come back and learn. That's why there is an injustice in the world. Why there's certain people born into the world with terrible physical problems and why there's a family who has got everything right, physically and mentally.'

What a twat.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

My beer isn't empty.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Van Kraken posted:

Napoleonic wars, not world wars. Is the show good? I loved the book and heard good things about the show, but never got around to it.

The guy who played Norrell is a massive turd in real life but the series was pretty well done for a BBC thing.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Efb

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

i mean, let's not act like this is new - have we all forgotten The Fail Whale, the mascot of twitter for years because you'd get 404'd constantly just trying to view the site? it's never not been lovely lol

I have a small bed and breakfast and occasionally we get guests you may have heard of. Once we had the first guy hired by Twitter who wasn't one of the original founders; he was hired for his network engineering skills, specifically to get rid of the Fail Whale and by all accounts he was successful at this, reducing Twitter downtime considerably and paving the way for it to become the juggernaut it was until Musk started driving it into the ground.

Fucker stole our towels.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Now thrust the en bloc clip into the soft, yielding internal magazine

Is that what 'cocking a gun' is?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I really loving hate those assholes who get migraines.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Explains my potato consumption

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Endjinneer posted:

I appreciated this

It was George Mallory though.