Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

How was that worth 24 hours?

I don't know, this pile on T-man party going on has been pretty hosed imo

The Neal! has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

bell jar posted:

Isn't this basically the plot of Gattaca

I'm pretty certain it's actually an argument Data uses in Star Trek for why he shouldn't be taken apart or something?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

From the Covid thread and jesus loving christ:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1253041723510587394?s=20

Edit: Oh actually I might have screwed this up, this is more idiot I saw on social media than an idiot on social media... my bad

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Hey hey hey that's not fair, the guy has got a few more hours yet, this whole thing could clear right up

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Jesus, if I wanted to read a rambling novel with bad politics I would have just picked up her series again.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I mean he's wrong about everything there but I really think it's funny that people think the game series where you get into a canon fist fight with the pope for the right to be first into an ancient elf bunker is going for historical realism.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

T-man posted:

just kill the "is a great-great-great-great-great whatever" trope all together. Not only is it weirdly focused on fashy bloodlines and hierarchy stuff, it makes basically no sense past great-grandparents to say you're descended from someone. Most people are probably 1/256ths descendants of Nostradamus, so if that matters either a lot of people are gonna qualify OR the protagonist's family does a lot of incest.

not everyone needs to ~carry on the bloodline~ hetrosexuals. motherfuckers. family is a scam put on by the photography industry and abusive parents to keep their victims hostage. be gay do crime and never talk to your relatives unless you actually want to

Yeah they should just retcon it, pissing off some pedantic nerds that nobody cares about. Or jesus, if you absolutely have to keep your dumb bloodline poo poo just have one of the characters make a blood oath with another character before they die so the genetic memory gets passed that way, it's sci fi you can make up whatever the gently caress you want.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

christmas boots posted:

AC3 ends with Desmond having the choice between between activating the precursor machine that protects the earth (but releases the evil precursor alien), and the “good” precursor alien sending him a vision of the above to convince him not to.

Not wanting 99% of people to die off, and knowing the whole “messiah” thing would be a bust (because even if he went all “be excellent to each other” he knew people would just mentally add “in hell” and use it as a justification to start killing each other) he does the first thing, which saves the world and frees the evil precursor and kills him, trusting that his assassin friends will find a way to stop her.

The evil precursor alien makes a few appearances in the next few games by sending some angry emails, and then gets killed off in a spin-off comic no one read.

We're probably talking about this too much in this thread but I have to know, if the big bad is dead, what's the new thing for everyone to be worried about in the future parts of the new games?

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/status/1290099395220799488?s=19

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been following the GRRM mess.

1. ConZealand requested pronunciation guides from some (perhaps not all) nominees, then apparently did nothing with them. Mary Robinette Kowal, one of the individual category presenters, wasn't given a pronunciation guide and took it upon herself to check with nominees for the correct pronunciations.

2. Apart from the mispronounced names, GRRM went on and on. The entire ceremony was supposed to last 2 hours; it went on for 3.5 because of the length of GRRM's reminiscences, spilling over two sessions of panels that had been scheduled afterward. An irritated fan commented "I cut a THREE HOUR & THIRTY-FIVE MINUTE CEREMONY down to 1:41:02 *JUST* by cutting out Martin & Silverberg." (I don't know details about Bob Silverberg's speech other than that people hated it.)

3. Apart from the length, GRRM sees himself as a raconteur and spent all his time telling stories about himself and his friends in the 20th century. There was little mention of works and authors from after 2000. It was focused on the Great Men of the past: Campbell, Heinlein, et al.

4. Last year Jeannette Ng, who had just won the John M. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, began her speech with "John M. Campbell was a loving fascist." It was a barnburner of a speech. Shortly thereafter, after years of complaint, the award was renamed the Astounding [the magazine] Award for Best New Writer. This year, GRRM not only spent a lot of time reminiscing about Campbell as a giant of the field, but pronounced "Astounding Award" with an audible sneer every time. It was widely seen as sweet sweet justice that Jeannette Ng's 2019 speech won this year's Best Related Work Hugo.

5. He made a "real men have dicks" joke.

So. He had real things to apologize for, and his "all have sinned" post didn't address them.

https://www.pretty-terrible.com/george-r-r-martin-2020-hugo-awards/ (Disclaimer: Natalie and I follow each other on Twitter, but that's the extent of the acquaintance. This post is not solely based on Natalie's blog post.

Holy poo poo. Now I gotta read all of Jeannette's work. That speech ruled

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

My "2+2=4" T-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Guy I knew from uni posted this recently:

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I feel like Wizard of Earth Sea is what happens when you take the boy goes to wizard school idea and tackle it with a sense of originality. The first couple of Harry Potter books is just a few western mythological creatures combined with a few coming of age boarding school stories that have already been told that Rowling chucked in a blender and hit pulse on.

The Neal! has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 15, 2020

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most of that poo poo is fake hth

Content: Possibly the dumbest McArdle take yet

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1316770240475398145?s=21

I know the population of Australia is way lower than the US but voting is compulsory so the entire country has to rock up on the same day to voting places and I've never heard of anyone in Sydney ever waiting longer than 5 minutes and that includes the time it takes to get a sausage sandwich from the BBQ (also compulsory). I just checked and we had news articles about people waiting longer than 30 minutes in Western Australia in 2016 like that was a huge deal. I can't even fathom waiting 10 hours to vote.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/byronkaye/status/1327926188510068738?s=20

A well known Australian celebrity chef just outed himself as a Neo-Nazi. He's been making gradual steps in destroying his career with his batshit craziness including almost publishing a cookbook with a baby food recipe that would have killed babies, telling AUSTRALIANS that sunscreen was bad for them and insisting that a lava lamp he was paid shitloads to promote could cure Corona but I'm hoping this is the thing that finally buries him.

I guess we'll see though, being a total racist in Australia is sometimes beneficial for your career after all :sweatdrop:

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

It's funny that even if the Musk nerds are right and the car does somehow magically detect if the object in front of you has a soul, wouldn't you still want your car to break ahead of crashing into a child sized object in the road? What if it's a bollard or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

I got talked into doing the 100 beers in 100 minutes thing about 20 years ago on a beach trip when we were just out of highschool. We used VB, a 4.9% beer that everyone knows is a cheap and terrible beer but there will still be other Australians screaming at me for that 'blasphemy'.

I remember I was the first to throw up at about the mid 60s mark, some other kid made it to 80 or so, one or two stopped at 100 and the last couple of kids there decided to just keep on going till they threw up (120 or so). Then everyone got spend the rest of the night throwing up over and over again. Would not recommend.