Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Reminds me of that David Brooks editorial from a few years back where he essentially blamed the rise of Trump on liberals and our fancy foods and the example he used was loving sopresatta.

Edit: the ratio on this one is getting spicy

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Someone post the military's revenue.

Don’t give them any ideas. I know there’s a sizable chud population that would openly support wars of plunder if Trump floated the idea.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

For most of history people shat in buckets doesn’t mean we should do it now.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

You are given one console when you are born and you stick with it for life, no matter what.

Anyone wanna play Colecovision with me? I’m so lonely.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Carbon Thief posted:

Sorry, I only have Intellivision games at my place

If you guys get Jumpman Junior I’m gonna kill myself.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It should surprise no one he’s gone all in on the puppet master defense since then.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Guess which brand of butter removed the American Indian from its packaging

How would you even begin to explain some of this culture war nonsense to someone from even 25 years ago?

“So why is this woman so upset about butter? Did they change the recipe or something?”

“No, they just changed the packaging so there’s no longer a Native American”

“So does the brand she’s switching to have a Native American on the package?”

“No”

“Then why switch?”

“Because there’s a chance that changing the package made some other people happy and she wants to punish the company for that”

“I wish I never came out of my coma”

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

sugar mouse posted:

This is beyond idiots really.

“Guns are literally the only thing stopping the government from coming to kill you!”

“Also, stop questioning President Trump and show some respect!”

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

bell jar posted:

When everyone's first response to her refusing to stop is "...how does she have the gall?!", I think it's a natural conclusion

Sir that was a felony-level pun and I’m going to need to come to the station.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Aren't pretty much all those points either demonstrably false and/or twisted from what he actually said/did? Also, love that he refuses any debate at all from the outset.

Tired: Debate me!

Wired: Don’t debate me!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

What is @‘ing Wikipedia even supposed to do?

And lol @target “please let us know where we can send a letter”. Wow, if only there was some kind of World Wide Web of information where this stuff could be found!

But no, it’s 2020 and Twitter is officially the only means of communication or getting things done and I just want to walk into the ocean.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

To be fair about 1 in 5 rock songs from the 70s and 80s were specifically about lusting after underage girls.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah nobody ever seems to account for relative population.

It's not even just Republicans.

I heard a piece a few weeks ago where Rachel Maddow on her show was contrasting the death toll between the USA (it was then around 35k) and the Republic of Ireland (then about 500) and saying about how much better they were doing. And the whole time I'm thinking "Wait. Does she not know how small the population of Ireland is?". In reality the death rate was pretty much tied at the time and subsequently the Republic has unfortunately pulled ahead.

I’m seeing a lot of this too and I can’t figure out if people don’t understand that different places have different populations or if they don’t understand why that matters. I’m not sure which would be worse.

Andorra only has 42 deaths! They must have their poo poo together!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

“Unlike all of you idiots, I actually care about what I put in my body and make my own food. I bake my own bread which is clearly superior to the store bought garbage you eat!”

“Hey that sounds cool, maybe I’ll learn to bake bread too”

“NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!”

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Ambitious Spider posted:

All I really know about stocks is that buying potatoes on margin is a bad idea, and cost Miss bliss her new car.

Invest in pumpkins. They never go down.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It reminds me of how way back in the day here on the forums one of the most beautiful things that could ever happen was when someone unwittingly admitted to something horrifying while being completely oblivious to how horrific it was. (Stuff like “everyone’s experimented sexually with a pet at some point - Right?”)

It’s much rarer today since the forums now trend older and the posting is much more disciplined. It’s not as fun on twitter since there isn’t the same expectation of not being a total idiot, but drat do I still love me a good self-own.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Or watching that old Twin Peaks show she was in.

She’s simply irresistible!

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

ilmucche posted:

It's been years since I've seen it and air conditioner is the only part that stuck with me. I might have to watch it again.

The scene where all the cars sing sadly about their lives before getting crushed into cubes still depresses the hell out of me.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

I call her Grimey.

Musk and Grimes sounds like a cop show from the 70s

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Oh those deep purple fringed tulips are apparently quite expensive for tulips, too. The only good thing is that person posting their theft on nextdoor so civil claims court can come knocking eventually.

EDIT: Oh my gardener friend tells me ALL of those are expensive and rare tulip cultivars. Oh my god.

My favorite part is that this person admits to going around to 6 different stores in the middle of a pandemic.

I also like that the possibility of just not getting flowers didn’t even occur to them.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I’m the guy in the classroom with a very important question about smashing the patriarchy.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I’ve always been relatively ambivalent about Ken Jennings but all of a sudden I’m a fan.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Some people are currently knocked down, but don’t worry, they’ll get up again.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

When the question is “why is thing in America but not in Europe?” the answer is race. It’s always race.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I remember watching my mom peel and cut up fresh carrots only to steam them into mushy oblivion and wondering why we couldn’t just eat delicious raw carrots. The only answer I could ever really get out of her was some vague notion that if it isn’t cooked it doesn’t “count” as dinner.

Edit: I’m not sure millennials were the ones that turned the tide on vegetables but given all the stupid stuff they’re blamed for I’ll let them have it.

letthereberock has a new favorite as of 01:26 on May 26, 2020

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

It’s a weird comparison maybe - but GLs behavior reminds me of that guy 15 years ago who decided to make it his life’s goal to ruin a dry cleaning business after they lost his pants. He went so far with it he ended up ruining his own life, it’s a fascinating story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_v._Chung

There seems to be this condition some people get where some small, random perceived offense against them causes them to snap to a point where they can’t think about anything else.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly "YOU'RE PREJUDICED AGAINST PREJUDICE" is such a basic shithead line that replying to it just to be like "u look like gimli" is more of a self own
But i get it, white people are insufferable.

I can’t believe in 2020 there are STILL people who think “oh you hate intolerance well that means you’re intolerant of intolerance sorry did I just BLOW YOUR MIND!?” is in any way a clever or insightful idea.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

You know those people who pay to adopt a designer dog from a puppy mill against everyone’s advice and then end up giving the dog to a shelter after two months because they didn’t mentally prepare themselves for the challenges of dog ownership?

Just saying, 2020 can get hosed.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

So much of success in our world is based on connections and who you know. The rich stay rich because rich people all give each other’s kids jobs.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

“Latin Americanization”

I mean...I’d hate the live in a country where the wealthiest horde all the resources and wall themselves off in separate communities and buy favor from the government and oh wait...

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

“Marrying someone genetically different from you can lead to health problems” is certainly an interesting take.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's a good thing i stopped finding dude funny once i passed 17, otherwise id be pretty bummed.
Too bad about Terry Gilliam though.

Just tell me Rowan Atkinson is okay man.

I’m terrified to follow whatever Michael Palin is up to today because I don’t think I can handle finding out he’s become a lovely person too. He was always my favorite.

Though I suspect Cleese has always been kind of a dick.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Pookah posted:

Cleese has always, ALWAYS been a dick. I've been saying it.for, like 20 years, and people kept telling me I was just being a dry shite who didn't get his humour. loving vindicated :colbert:

I know it’s well known lore that Cleese based Basil Fawlty off of a real person he met once, but I can’t picture Cleese in real life being anything but exactly like that.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

This is some really nuts poo poo.

Like, they're saying that three oranges is celebrating the death of three people somewhere else because of The Godfather's symbolism around death and oranges?

...what!?!??

That crazy people could make this connection does not surprise me.

What I did learn: apparently British people call popsicles “lollys”.

Look we’re just starting now to wrap our minds around the whole fries/chips/crisps conundrum.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Abhorrence posted:

The rape of nanking was so atrocious that the German observers sent there by the Nazis were sending reports back to Germany that were the letter equivalent of nervously tugging their collar.

To be clear, it was so bad it made the Nazis uncomfortable.

I knew weeaboos idolized and fetishized Japan to an unhealthy degree, but I didn’t realize “imperial Japan did nothing wrong during WWII” was a talking point.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

I love the impossible situation the Trump campaign is in where they either have to admit they got rolled by a bunch of teenagers, or they can deny that was a factor and admit that no one showed up for their rally.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Can’t find a pic but there was a guy on Yelp a while back who would rate everything he liked one star because “#1 means the best!!!” - it may have been a moderately amusing gimmick but my money is on he was just that dumb because, you know, Yelp.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The fact that we are more than a dozen posts into a discussion about school playground speed limits and no one has made a joke about the maximum speed you can drive and still get kids into your van shows me what a different place something awful dot com is from 10 years ago.

Not worse, just...different

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Data Graham posted:

We are a country that spent a whole summer with this on our radios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFpsDAL4oKE

Until you posted that I’d spent the last 20 years thinking I’d just imagined that song like some kind of Sinbad-Genie movie thing so thanks so much for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Add this one to your "block on sight" list, beside "ephebophile":

https://twitter.com/DaneyMCMan/status/1288967382338359302

"MAP" meaning "minor attracted person".

Wait...

They don’t love you like I love you...