Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but it broke leftist into either being mad or hopelessly depressed.

I don’t know what libs are becoming.

Conservatives who don’t hate gays as much I guess

isn't that what they have always been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Untrustable posted:

I'm leaning towards Webley Mark IV that has had it's top break hinge repaired. Weird looking revolvers. I kinda want one. Big rear end bore so probably chambered in .455 putting it at late 1800s through WW1. But as Levar Burton always said, "don't take my word for it".

i had one when i lived in texas (couldn't bring it to new york with me) - mine had been bored to take .45 ACP - and i agree that's exactly what this looks like to me.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, it's a Webley. The bore size suggests .455, which was last produced in 1923. Assuming it's not an air gun replica, I wouldn't want to shoot a gun in that condition.
ftr the surface of the metal of my webley looked exactly like that and it was 100% fine shooting it (although I did prefer to use handloads because modern .45 ACP has more boom in it than WWI .445 and i didn't want to risk blowing the 100-year-old frame apart)

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Why would you buy a pot you cannot wash? Do you just let bits of food rot in it? Is this an American thing?

i PROMISE you that the idea of using cast iron for cookware is not an American thing

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

Look you might be right but we can’t take one of the like seven names trans men have away from them, that would be cruel

lol coincidentally the only tanner i know is trans AND a piece of poo poo

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Knormal posted:

"Pedophile" has Greek roots, but -vore is a Latin root, so with the corresponding Latin root for ped- a pedovore should be a foot eater.

metal gear solid 3: foot eater

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Guilty posted:

Breeder came long before queer people, it's how angry middle class white people referred to what they consider lower class trashy people who couldn't behave in public. People were slinging this term all over SA long before queers could openly post here. Don't blame this one on queer people
"long before queer people"

what year were we invented?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Guilty posted:

long before queer people started using it, I thought that was clear from the context, but I guess you really had to stretch for that one didn't you?

it wasn't clear to me from the context, but i'm admittedly stupid! still don't think whether we were allowed to be open about our queerness on SA or not has any relevance whatsoever to whether the term was used in queer culture before it made it to childfree forums (it was, it was used among queers at least as early as the 1970s, although it was surely also used among straights before that as well) but again, i'm admittedly stupid!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Hihohe posted:

I just have a hard time wrapping my head around there being people that would absolutely redefine themselves as inferior to other people and limit thier own rights.
yeah they could just find a loving dom ffs

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's been a synonym for wuss or wimp for literally decades.

the f-word has meant "bundle of sticks" for centuries, are you going to say it's not a slur?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

gently caress isn't a swear word

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

and I don’t use DuckDuckGo so that won’t fix it for me

help me

are you using any anti-marketing browser plugins like Disconnect?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

lmao they are @'ing wikipedia to get a page edited bc they can't just edit it themselves without it being reverted bc their only "evidence" is "yeah no i, personally, talked to a guy in secret"

they don't represent ME as a bi so they'd better loving take that "all" out of their bio before i sue

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

"things are bad if they are not productive" is fascy af, is that dude knowingly fascist or just accidentally?

oh he's some techbro ok that explains it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i know the discussion of how this tweet is wrong was last page, but here's a non-idiot on social media providing evidence about the actual facts (three tweets in thread)
https://twitter.com/MattBaume/statu...209029003644928

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Not to make this into a whole thing, but is almond milk worse for the environment than just regular milk? I know compared to a lot of other plants and nuts almonds are huge water hogs, but so is everything involving livestock. Genuine question.
Cow's milk is worse for the environment than almond milk; it uses significantly more water and produces significantly more greenhouse gases etc. When you're comparing almond milk to other non-cow milks (like the post you quoted which compared it to oat milk) it's more complicated. Info: https://blog.datawrapper.de/cow-mil...k-alternatives/

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

You realize loreal is over 500 brand names, right?

i don't see any toothpaste brands under l'oreal group so even if the article wasn't explicitly, as stated in the article, referring to skin-bleaching products but was, as a glance at the headline might lead one to believe, referring to literally everything the company makes, they still wouldn't be talking about toothpaste as far as i can tell

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

The rapid-onset gender dysphoria stuff that TERFs talk about

the rapid onset poo poo "amuses" me bc my own experience and that of many, if not a majority, of my transmasc friends has been exactly the terf-decried "one person in a friends group comes out and then they ALL catch the trans" and it's been, to a man, bc we didn't think of "trans man" as a thing that exists, much less a thing we could be; and the weird relationship with the world which we're subsequently identifying, one by one, as gender dysphoria was one of the traits we shared which helped forge our friendships, so no poo poo we all caught it

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

so is "pride shouldn't be for minors or for anyone who doesn't consent to random public sex" the hill we're dying on then

are you a complete idiot, or can you conceive of a position that consists of "public sex is wrong due to its consent violations, but bragging about how you're going to call the cops, all of whom (you acknowledge) are bastards, on queer people also sucks"?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

lmao can i submit all the "you say men systematically do a bad thing? w-w-well women also do bad things and you're the real hater!!" people itt as social media idiots

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean all three of them were cousins so it's not that different really. Also George and Nicholas are literally the same person in different outfits.

and they're all Tim Curry

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Pookah posted:

Seems accurate to me too - I've argued a good bit with people who claim being referred to as 'cis' is a slur, and pointed out that trans/cis are just descriptors like gay/straight, and do they feel insulted if they are described as a straight person?

But of course that is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

it's funny because i definitely DO remember society going through this exact same thing 25 or 30 years ago wrt "straight" as well; it was a slur, because they said they were normal and didn't want any gay-people words applied to them. i guess small victory that the window has moved so that now some of the bigots are unwilling to outright say "because I'm normal" as their reason?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

"wop" which was an acronym for "with out papers".
no it wasn't
edit: i had this tab open too long

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

People did that, though. Jefferson didn’t care, of course, but abolitionists existed in the 18th century.

Both things are stupid, the “I would certainly have been one of the people with correct opinions!” fallacy and the “nobody’s opinions were correct back then” fallacy.
personally the latter are the ones who bother me more, because they're the ones erasing history and putting forth an ahistorical concept that "in the past EVERYBODY was a horrible piece of poo poo, therefore being anti-horrible pieces of poo poo is a weird new modern concept that's incredibly stupid and could never work and you're a fool for thinking otherwise. since everyone up until two weeks ago was racist it's justified to still be racist; that's just normal, that's what history has always been like so OF COURSE some people haven't moved on from it yet!"

at least the "i would've been anti-racist in the 1900s" people are, like - there WERE anti-racist people in the 1900s, and this possibly-delusional self-conception does not have harmful results in the real world right now either

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Do they still have their tighty whiteys in a wad over Brie Larson?

when have those people ever gotten over anything? their made-up grievances, along with their media consumption, are all they have in place of a personality

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Having had an extensive run-in with poison ivy last summer, the above sounds like a very flawed idea in manifold ways

yeah you should test things you're gonna eat by just eating them, because eating poison ivy is much better than rubbing a tiny piece on a tiny spot of your skin as a test??

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

more like touch leaf, wait an hour, rub leaf, wait a day, taste and spit out a tiny bite, wait an hour, chew and swallow a tiny amount, wait a week...

that's what they did in Clan of the Cave Bear anyway

yeah, this. like folks this isn't instructions for how to test it for funsies where you're like "oh i didn't die right away so I'll immediately chow down bc im only gonna be hanging out in these woods for a few more hours." it's for survival situations because that's the only time you should ever be even considering eating random loving plants

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 11:47 on Sep 1, 2020

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

How the gently caress do you read the Bible and come away with that loving filth, I want to ask, but i know the answer is literally "none of them read the Bible, they get told by a preacher what to believe and HE'S basing that on what makes him money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, if Black Lives Matter protests suddenly turned you into a diehard Trumper then you weren't really much of a liberal to begin with.

Her and the OP also keep claiming that ALL the violence and ALL the vitriol is from the left. I loving hate the argument so much. They really seem to the think hardcore right wingers haven't committed any notable violent actions. Because they are noble and rational, of course.

hmm how odd
https://www.startribune.com/charges...loyd/572843802/