Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

I am friends with a number of people who are adjacent to or have been in childfree online groups, and they are predominantly women from immigrant or hyper-religious families who do not want to have kids, but have been told since they were young if they don't get married and--more importantly--have a (male) child they are worthless to their family, so they used them as a way to shitpost and de-stress.

Most of them have mellowed out a lot about it as they've become spinsters at 32 or whatever old age their parents have decided to give up hope they'll ever reproduce.

Magna Kaser has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Samovar posted:

Ah, so you've not heard the man in the moon is seen as a rabbit in China?

it's beyond china to the rest of east asia as well. it's why you often see rabbits related to the moon in video games and anime and junk.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

I haven't lived in the US for over a decade now but can someone remind me why everyone from landlords to cable companies need your SSN when it's the
ID that is simultaneously the most important and the easiest for a bad actor to gently caress you over with?

Like living abroad I have to use my passport for everything but there's not a lot someone can do with just my passport number, whereas with my name and SSN and probably birthday that these people also collect they could just prob steal my whole identity.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Inceltown posted:

I don't have a fb so this just looks like "we're opening on may 1" to me. What's missing?

no restaurant in the US should probably open on may 1 or maybe any time in may this year.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah when I was in the US recently in the before times at the beginning of 2020, my friend thankfully reminded me to leave a tip at a cash only coffee place and I was so caught out and didnít have many smaller bills I just threw a 5 at the person for a 2 dollar coffee and left cuz I didnít wanna awkwardly ask for change.

Tipping is bad lol

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

https://twitter.com/MNFreedomFund/s...726417650995202

This is probably, maybe, slightly not okay. Just a feeling.

Call it optimism but a lot of people with experience working at or with non-profits reply on that thread and all generally agree this is actually pretty above-board. They were a super small all-volunteer group that spent ~100k or so a year usually, so they've already spent double what they normally spend in a year in two weeks on bail. They stopped all donations cuz they were thrust into the spotlight and probably got way more way faster than anyone anticipated

Also some people are pointing out where they're not legally even able to redistribute the money they have due to a Minnesota law.

idk maybe theyre all awful embezzlers but in this case I'm just hopeful and listening to the people with experience in the nonprofit realm.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

here's one that is less depressing and political

For some quick background, many Chinese animal names are fun mashups of animals and concepts for interesting linguistic reasons.

This woman posts a "fun language fact" about Chinese which a lot of people find when they fool around with a dictionary: that "penguin" is literally "business goose". This is unfortunately not true and it's actually a "tip-toe goose", which is still fun, imo. People tried to politely correct her since this happens a lot, and she wasn't too happy with that and kept digging in on this for some reason-

the icing on the cake is she eventually deleted every tweet in the thread, EXCEPT this one!!!

hmmmmmm

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Plenty of English animals names are like this, we just laundered them through other languages.

Hippopotamus = river horse

Porcupine = thorny pig

Porpoise = pig fish

Ferret = little thief

yes thats the interesting linguistic part. modern Chinese doesn't have an older language like Latin/Greek/Old versions of itself/etc... to go back to like English and many other languages do. Like unless you studied the stuff, your average English speaker would not know hippopotamus means river horse, etc...

But because of how characters work and mainly due to how they are not phonetic but rather semantic in nature, characters often have the same meaning as they did hundreds and hundreds of years ago which makes it more in your face.

like hippo in chinese is 河馬 which also means, literally, "river horse" and was in fact how I found out hippopotamus means river horse in English.

other fun ones:

turkey is fire chicken
raccoon is washing bear
panda is bear cat
kangaroo is pocket mouse
owl is cat-headed eagle
giraffe is long neck deer

etc...

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

I got asked a similar question once and when I honestly answered it was a mashup of the quad city dj's classic "space jam" and crush 40's "live and learn" from sonic adventure 2 they unmatched me so it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation really.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Tiggum posted:

It's Twitter.

twitter is the real world now

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Shai-Hulud posted:

I pretty much drilled "You do NOT touch any mushroom you find. Get an adult." into my kids head.
As delicious as a lot of them are there are also more than enough rear end in a top hat shrooms that give you a really bad time if you played around with them and then put your fingers into your mouth.

it's kinda interesting tho how people who have eaten death caps/etc and lived through it said they actually taste really good.

i guess less people would die eating them if they tasted bad.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

i thought it was africa and was wondering why Madagascar was so far down/big.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Tales from Earthsea is not a great movie IMO.

If you're interested in his reaction to it, the very good documentary "10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki" is free online and covers the development of the film and his dislike of everything about the project: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/.../video/3004569/

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If you drink the electric blue stuff you will die. Antifreeze, mouthwash, the stuff in the incontinence adverts, WKD, all of it will kill you. Do not expose yourself to the blue liquid.

you'll have to tear the atomic blue mountain dew from my cold, dead hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Serious answer: 11-minute episodes are easier to write in order to hold young attentions, since e.g. you don't need a B-plot and they won't be interrupted by commercials. They're also cheaper to animate (because, well, they're half the length), and in a series that's not continuity-heavy, they give more options for networks to fit episodes into slots.

id also guess those old adult swim shows literally had like 12 dollar budgets and not anywhere near what even the cheapest quibi show had