Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x ampersand oh
Apr 20, 2006

no comment
None of these things are true, for the record.

1. She is not a terf, period end of story (There is a song called "Sex Changes" but that is about sex... changing.. things. Not gender reassignment. )

2. She did not have a flash mob wedding? She was married at Michael Chabon's house, for starters with a bunch of other famous authors there.
(Yes it's true that I'm an old school fan of hers but I only remember this bc I was doing a news blog for a record store when she got married and I wrote an article on it.)

3. The "did not pay her band" story is actually completely distorted and false:
She HAD a touring band. A paid touring band. The same band she made that album with.
She HAD opening acts. They were paid, too.

What she wanted was at every city on that tour for random local musicians to come up on stage and play with her and her band during the main concert as a big interactive experience. For fun. On a volunteer basis. it was just a last minute idea of an extra thing to add to the shows.

When other people said "hey we know you came up in this sort of diy punk communal hippy crashing concerts for free sort of way but in this day and age it sets bad precedent to not pay artists for any reason" she understood and made smaller, paid arrangements but by this point in time the internet blew the whole thing out of proportion and made up this whole exaggeration that isn't even how it happened and now this story gets spread around each and every time her name is mentioned and maybe we can stop doing that?

And now I've gone and used up my "one post every ten years", thanks a lot.

x ampersand oh has a new favorite as of 22:20 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x ampersand oh
Apr 20, 2006

no comment
Boy do I wish I had stuck to just debunking the "didn't pay her band' thing because Heck Yeah I express myself really poorly and that is why I am professional lurker.

And i really do wish I hadn't brought up the song or dismissed it so harmlessly. I was angry at People On The Internet and wanted to vent and was careless.

"Sex Changes" is a complicated situation but considering the rest of the song concentrates on abortion and domestic violence and sex from a decidedly cishetero standpoint, yes those lyrics are supposed to sound like they are about one thing when they are actually about another. Did she accidentally write transphobic sounding lyrics when she thought she was being clever about something unrelated? Yes and that's bad. I don't even know if she can apologize enough for doing that. But there's a difference between being a narcissist and being actually trans-exclusionary in her stance and politics the latter of which she is not. I really don't blame people for arguing about the song. I'm nb femme queer, btw, so i take it as personally as someone who reads it the opposite way and is not a fan does.