Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't drink often. Maybe a couple times a year. But being home all time time I am starting to wig out a bit.

Assuming I do start drinking. Where do I start? I don't much like beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Just a heads up, if you do start drinking regularly your immune system is going to compromised when you eventually get coronavirus.

That said, if you don't like beer then vodka goes with pretty much anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
poo poo.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

While it is indeed a good time to start drinking, there is also gonna be a very little reason to stop which might lead to all sorts of awful poo poo.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've done the opposite. I never realised how much damage I was doing to my brain, even casual drinking I can't stand it anymore. It's like a revulsion builds up inside of me I've become a super square.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

weed is better for kicking back at home playing video games and watching movies

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
If you want to go whiskey, a good entry level is the Canadian stuff. When you get a taste for it, you can start expanding. This is especially convenient if you're young and can't drive yet, because it's easier to carry around a hip flask instead of a six pack.

I weaned off coffee, but replaced it with alcohol after St. Patrick's day. No, I don't have a problem.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
What DO you enjoy? What boozes have you liked in the past? And more generally do you like sugar, fruit, milk? Sour, bitter, umami? That might be a good start.
How have you drank in the past? Did you get smashed?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Don't do it OP god drat you

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Stick with 120 proof bourbon OP. The alcohol % is enough to kill off coronavirus. It' a win-win.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
If you do do it, for the love of god don't drink vodka

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably better off with weed if you can get a hook up.

Make a hobby out of it, buy a bit of everything and mix cocktails.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ive been drinking since my 20s! 365 24/7 1,000,0000,00 dead beer cans

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Ive been drinking since my 20s! 365 24/7 1,000,0000,00 dead beer cans

BORN TO DRINK
LIVER IS A gently caress

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Beer, its the most diverse alcoholic drink, from classic and traditional styles to modern stuff being made today, its hard to get bored, you've always got stuff to try for the first time. It adds a whole excellent element to enjoying getting plastered.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
sake is my poison of choice, even relatively cheap stuff is good

it gets me hosed up faster than other alcohols, if that is my goal, and I like the drunk it gives me

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Rum & Cokes are incredibly cheap, easy to drink, and your local grocery store is likely to have all 2 ingredients no matter how bad panic buying is in your area.

Replace Coke with Sprite for variety, and to have Sprite on hand when you inevitably get hungover.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Take a look at some of the following liquor ads and tell us which appeals to you most:

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't drink often. Maybe a couple times a year. But being home all time time I am starting to wig out a bit.

Buy two or three bottles of $100+ scotch. Don't do any homework. Water it down to taste. There's no such thing as too much water.

This strategy has several benefits:
- Expense will discourage binge drinking.
- Water will keep you hydrated, because you are not an experienced drinker and you will suffer terrible hangovers if you try to jump straight into the deep end.
- Your newly refined palette will let you act superior to beer drinking plebs. Be sure to loudly scoff at anyone that drinks anything but scotch, it will make you extremely popular.
-You should spend all your money anyways, the end of days has come.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Can't go wrong with Baileys in your breakfast cereal.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Chocobo posted:

Buy two or three bottles of $100+ scotch. Don't do any homework. Water it down to taste. There's no such thing as too much water.

This strategy has several benefits:
- Expense will discourage binge drinking.
- Water will keep you hydrated, because you are not an experienced drinker and you will suffer terrible hangovers if you try to jump straight into the deep end.
- Your newly refined palette will let you act superior to beer drinking plebs. Be sure to loudly scoff at anyone that drinks anything but scotch, it will make you extremely popular.
-You should spend all your money anyways, the end of days has come.

Lmao no it won't and I say this as a Scotch drinker and an expert in the region with a class certificate to show for it. If you get a taste for single malts you'll drink single malts like water. I've finished 200 dollar bottles in less than a week. Discipline and moderation dictates your drinking habits, price has nothing to do with it. Expensive taste just makes a drinking habit pricier, if you're really suffering the compulsion to guzzle a price tag will make no difference.

This is a drug, not some luxury good that's purely physical.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just drink water OP

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the mead of poetry, it's made with the blood of a god shouldn't be that tough to get at this point. I heard gods dead.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its too late OP, you already missed the white lighting days

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
$5 wine

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Waltzing Along posted:

Drink whiskey straight the way God (Satan) intended.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Riesling is delicious at any price point op and you’ll be the most tolerable kind of alcoholic if you eventually take it too far

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I've been pouring glasses of scotch as early as 11am during this lockdown

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The_Continental posted:

Take a look at some of the following liquor ads and tell us which appeals to you most:

Can't speak for the OP but the fat guy with a terrible mustache trying to pour an empty bottle into a glass while appearing too drunk to understand why liquid isn't coming out appeals to me on a personal level. Guess I'm a Bagpiper guy now.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Grevling posted:

Can't speak for the OP but the fat guy with a terrible mustache trying to pour an empty bottle into a glass while appearing too drunk to understand why liquid isn't coming out appeals to me on a personal level. Guess I'm a Bagpiper guy now.

I tried to find out what kind of booze it was out of some weird curiosity, and all I could find was a Whiskey company from India, but it doesn't look at all like this Bagpiper ad. It looks nothing like any version of Bagpiper I could find on Google and that's clearly not a whiskey bottle. I think it's something called a "surrogate advertisement", I saw this in an article featuring the exact Bagpiper ad pictured above as an example.

Some website called thesocialvision posted:

The whole concept of surrogate advertising is believed to have started from Britain. The British housewives protested strongly against the liquor advertisements. They felt that those ads were provoking their husbands. More people were complaining, and it rose to that level that the liquor advertisements were banned. The housewives forced them to promote juices and soda under their brand name, which later became an alternative solution for the brands in the liquor and cigarette industry.

lol of course this practice originated in Britain.

So they got a soda bottle and used an idea that wouldn't need to actually show any liquor in the ad. Clever

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 31, 2020

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

The Andromeda Strain told me alcohol can ward off viruses.

Weed is better though OP. Unless you're in one of those lame states that make it illegal.

cnut
May 3, 2016

If you don't already, take up smoking too, OP. They go great together!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
buy some 5 o'clock and go to the liquor store and ask for a bunch of empty bottles of really expensive vodka and fill them up and then pretend you're sharing the expensive stuff. no one will ever know the difference and you'll look like a baller

you can do the same thing with barefoot wines actually.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dive into the deep end with Krokodil, favorite choice for the apocalypse

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drink malort exclusively and force everyone to do shots with you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gin from a large mason jar. Alienate friends and family! Smell bad! Suffer headaches!

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Polishing off a Talisker Storm today. Probably have rum tomorrow

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

I tried to find out what kind of booze it was out of some weird curiosity, and all I could find was a Whiskey company from India, but it doesn't look at all like this Bagpiper ad. It looks nothing like any version of Bagpiper I could find on Google and that's clearly not a whiskey bottle. I think it's something called a "surrogate advertisement", I saw this in an article featuring the exact Bagpiper ad pictured above as an example.

lol of course this practice originated in Britain.

So they got a soda bottle and used an idea that wouldn't need to actually show any liquor in the ad. Clever

Oh, interesting. Advertising for alcohol products is illegal in my country and breweries sometimes get around it by advertising for their non-alcoholic beer but mostly don't bother. The surrogate advertising thing would probably not be allowed here I think.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I could barely sleep last night, and finally decided to have a can of Kilkenny.

I didn't realize it was 5am, so I have started drinking today before the sun came up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The_Continental posted:

uh, that's a pretty big glass