Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Don't worry, this thread by its very nature will be gone soon. The Easter Onion, Allium tricoccum, is an ephemeral herb, appearing in late March through early May in hilly areas, on moist but sandy hillsides generally underneath deciduous trees or right on the border of the woodlands. If you are a morel hunter, you almost certainly know of a ramp patch. You can kind of use ramps as a super onion, but their flavor does stand out on its own, like a leek. For example yesterday I made an omelette with bacon and ramps. Tonight I will probably make ramp risotto. For lunch today I made grilled cheese, using ramps as a garnish, exquisite. You can make garlic bread, but instead of garlic, you use ramps. You can batter them and deep fry them. And you really cannot beat grilled ramps as a side during a cookout.

Anyways I hope that this thread will be a clearinghouse for ramp-related knowledge, folklore and recipes.

Harvesting Ramps: While it is possible to cultivate ramps, just about all of the ramps consumed are foraged (I suppose in that sense, a wild patch can be cultivated, but you catch my drift). They are often found in sort of a sea of them, you will probably smell them first, though. If you do know of a patch, do try to harvest it sustainably. If you pull them up by the roots, try to only pull up one in ten. If you harvest leaves then just try to take one per plant or bunch. Just don't be a dick about it, they are legit over harvested in some areas. It is important to wash them, especially if you are near an inhabited area, but only do this IMMEDIATELY before their use, water makes them goopy. On that note, you can really only harvest what you can use in a day or so, especially if you only harvest the leaves, although I have read that you can freeze ramps quite well.

Below is an example of a walkway lined with ramps. I had walked by a patch a thousand times, thinking they were lillies (on that note, when harvesting make sure they have the distinct thin stalk, there are a couple lillies that look like ramps, but they have thick stalks. You can, of course, smell the ramp, although using your nose sort of becomes impossible after a few minutes). If you suspect you are in an area with ramps, but you don't know where to start, then just ask an old timer, probably.

I'll admit, I'm making this thread to expand my recipe-book, but ramps are awesome. And I will be posting all the good poo poo I'm going to make. I've read that you can make wine out of it, which seems a bit suss, but anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I'm growing walking onions at the moment.

They are like green onions bunt they bulb at the top and then fall over and "walk" through your garden.

That's my onion story

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my uncle once got kicked out of school because he got sprayed by a skunk and got accused of eating ramps which was against the rules

another time he got kicked out of school for eating ramps because he was eating ramps, which was against the rules

my uncle was illiterate his entire life

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Jestery posted:

They are like green onions bunt they bulb at the top and then fall over and "walk" through your garden.

That's my onion story

neat!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
IT'S DUCK SEASON!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

bitch i know what season it is

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Oh boy! I was going to try my hand at morel hunting real soon. I forgot to be on the lookout for ramps. Bless you for your ramp knowledge.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I thought this was going to be about the Lepers Colony after a busy night in QCS.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
For some, it's always ramp season.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

how am i supposed to kickflip off of these, op

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I made this a few nights ago, used leeks instead of ramps because I don't live near nature. It was very good, definitely go hard on the olives, and maybe less hard on the raw asparagus. I wish I lived near nature.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/butter-roasted-halibut-with-asparagus-and-olives

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I made this a few nights ago, used leeks instead of ramps because I don't live near nature. It was very good, definitely go hard on the olives, and maybe less hard on the raw asparagus. I wish I lived near nature.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/butter-roasted-halibut-with-asparagus-and-olives

I'm going to get ripped to shreds for this, but asparagus is like the one thing I just can't eat. I think it hurts my dad most of all. I think he literally wishes he could transplant the ability to enjoy asparagus into my joyless husk, but alas. Asparagus and ramps is basically the ultimate seasonal dish, I suppose.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Just had like garlic bread but with ramps instead. I've only been eating ramps for a couple of years now, but my impression is that they are one of the most superb garnishes out there. You have to be really careful not to get overwhelmed though.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
whats the actual name of this thing? "eating ramp" is good for skateboarding vids though

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

bollig posted:

I'm going to get ripped to shreds for this, but asparagus is like the one thing I just can't eat. I think it hurts my dad most of all. I think he literally wishes he could transplant the ability to enjoy asparagus into my joyless husk, but alas. Asparagus and ramps is basically the ultimate seasonal dish, I suppose.

That's sad. Asparagus grows wild around here, although when I was slightly younger and dumber I mistook bear grass for it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i like to eat sourgrass. its even better once the dogs piss on it

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wild leeks are really really good; I didn't even know cultivated leeks were a thing until I was in college.

But the overharvesting is also a real problem.

They don't grow around here.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

gary oldmans diary posted:

whats the actual name of this thing? "eating ramp" is good for skateboarding vids though

Wild Leek

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
The things thieves want are
Cash
Jewelry
Swords
Velour
and Ramps

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

bollig posted:

Its cool, I hate bell peppers so I get where you're coming from. You could prob sub in green beans. Its cooking not baking so just do whatever. Its probably fine.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
wild leeks

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Eating ramps and getting cramps

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Play posted:

Dog piss adds a subtle flavor to even the most pungent of dishes. I really don't understand why the french prefer to cook without it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Play posted:

I like the cut of your jib

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jestery posted:

That's my onion story

kawaii...

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I live near ramp country and am down. Grilled with butter, hell yeah

Want to grow some this year but need to figure that out

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSXldDcLdY

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Put some ramps on a bacon egg and cheese sandwich this morrning. loving yum. Made some ramps pesto for dinner tonight. Although my wife is now discovering that she may have a slight allergy to the stuff.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Pickled ramps ftmfw.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gramp season

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if y'all gotta do this please just pick one leaf and leave the bulb intact, ramps are getting extirpated in a lot of wild places.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I buy like 150 pounds of ramps every season for my restaurant, pickle the bulbs and puree the leaves with oil and strain for ramp oil. Freeze it and it lasts all year. Takes days to clean them all lol.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 1, 2020

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I buy like 150 pounds of ramps every season for my restaurant, pickle the bulbs and puree the leaves with oil and strain for ramp oil. Freeze it and it lasts all year. Takes days to clean them all lol.

do you heat the oil?

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
Staircase season!

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
How would you put them on a grilled cheese, op? Do you dice them, leave them whole? Chiffonade? Do you eat the whole thing? Exclude the greens or whites? Cut off the roots? Details yo

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It might be ramp season here in Ohio, I am starting to see green on the forest floors, but trees barely budding yet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

These people legit look like they're having a good time imo and I hope they got to shoot the poo poo and do whatevs during processing these things.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

interwhat posted:

How would you put them on a grilled cheese, op? Do you dice them, leave them whole? Chiffonade? Do you eat the whole thing? Exclude the greens or whites? Cut off the roots? Details yo

Chiffonade, greens only, in between the cheese and the bread. Also this grilled cheese had apple slices in it and like a grainy mustard

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Turns out my wife has an oral allergy syndrome where her mouth thinks the ramps are like birch pollen or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Loving all these ramp jokes guys. Keep em coming