Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

Play this as the theme song replacing "rack" with ramp as needed.
correct.

"ramp city bitch ramp ramp city bitch" was playing in my head for like half an hour after seeing this thread yesterday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Fitting that Chicago is named after something that's only good for maybe a week out of the year

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Today I made some roast potatoes with duck fat and then put some ramps on them. Delish. We also made some homemade pizza, onto which I sprinkled some ramps for the last 5 minutes or so. Then made some ramp oil with the rest of my stash. Really leaning into this lifestyle.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently they're called Ramsons here in the UK. Anyway we went looking for some today, and found some!

I decided to make some crispy pork belly to cook em with. Boiled first with white vinegar and salt.

Then deep fried twice.

Finished! (just out of shot is my huge boner because this was loving sexy)

Then the ramsons with some garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce.

And done.

So loving good. We still have a huge bag of these things, what else should we cook with em?

Bonus shot of Dillon fiending for dat pork:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Pickle the bulbs!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
we didn't get any bulbs, just the stalks and leaves :(

apparently you can make tasty pesto with them though, so I'll give that a try

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Pickle the bulbs!

gotta pay extra for that

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
I wish Ramps grew in NZ, all we get is Onion Grass

it's alright, tastes like garlic-onions

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Legit disappointed to read that them ramps are only an East coast thing. I like cultivated leeks and was getting kinda pumped to maybe go forage for 'em.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Piss Meridian posted:

I wish Ramps grew in NZ, all we get is Onion Grass

it's alright, tastes like garlic-onions

These grow wild on the U.S. west coast as well

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Made some pesto, it's extremely garlicky

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bardeh posted:

Made some pesto, it's extremely garlicky

Just from here it looks thick. Maybe add some more olive oil, or even walnuts to get some fat in there to dull out the garlic a bit and add richness.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

The_Continental posted:

Just from here it looks thick. Maybe add some more olive oil, or even walnuts to get some fat in there to dull out the garlic a bit and add richness.

Yeah, I had some with some pasta for lunch and it's completely overpowering and not that nice. I'll add some more olive oil.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I guess you could order some bulbs from the East Coast and then plant your own patch. I managed to transplant some into pots and I plan to put them in the ground in November or so. Then you'd have your own stash.

I made some no-knead biscuits with ramps in it and they are outrageous. They are starting to flower here and I just found a large, relatively untouched batch, so I am going to make an even larger batch of oil.

I was reading in the Wikipedia page that some native americans would make a concoction of ramps to give to their kids in the spring to de-worm them. I definitely feel like I have fewer worms but I have to get that measured officially, I guess.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Bardeh posted:

Apparently they're called Ramsons here in the UK. Anyway we went looking for some today, and found some!

I decided to make some crispy pork belly to cook em with. Boiled first with white vinegar and salt.

Then deep fried twice.

Finished! (just out of shot is my huge boner because this was loving sexy)

Then the ramsons with some garlic, oyster sauce, soy sauce.

And done.

So loving good. We still have a huge bag of these things, what else should we cook with em?

Bonus shot of Dillon fiending for dat pork:

This is nuts.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Serious eats has a recipe for mapo tofu with ramps so I'm going to give that a whirl.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

frogge posted:

Legit disappointed to read that them ramps are only an East coast thing. I like cultivated leeks and was getting kinda pumped to maybe go forage for 'em.

I have seen some farms in oregon that sell them

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Never seen these things, or even heard of them, where I live. They sound wonderful.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Just saw a recipe that uses ramp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5AoYGFTl8I

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you taunting us with ramps, outside of ramp season?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

are you taunting us with ramps, outside of ramp season?

Should have made a bunch of ramp oil or some ramp kimchi.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

You named your dog Dillon?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's my Mum's dog. I think he was called Dill (after the herb) but we ended up just calling him Dillon all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It is always RANCH season