Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Good evening.

We interrupt your crossed animals and seventh finalized fantasies and your King Tiger show to bring you an important message.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, many social events, film releases and other various public gatherings are postponed until the end of April. It is recommended that individuals, if at all possible, should remain home and practice safe social distancing.

To alleviate your imminent boredom of isolation, and to contradict the patterns of postponement across the world, CinemaDiscusso has partnered with the creators of the Ludovico TechniqueTM to provide a thrilling distraction that challenges the intellect and boosts the immune systems with adrenaline-based stressed tests!

We call it..."The April Horror Movie Challenge!"

:neckbeard:

Want to be a participant? Interested in becoming a lab Guinea Pig (Devil's Experiment) for the Greater Good? Well congratulations! By reading this, you are now visually contractually obligated! A single post in this thread signs over all your rights as an individual, including suing Cinema Discusso (and it's affiliates) for any harm as a result of participating in the challenge. This includes Personality Disorders, Damages to Self-Esteem, Physical Manifestations, etc. (Legal Disclaimer: A full list of possible side-effects and permutations as a result of the April Horror Movie Challenge may be found on the corresponding warnings available on the Ludovico Group website.) We assure you, that no harm has befallen participants (so far).

"What is required of me for the test?"

Cinema Discusso is unable to force you (directly) to participate in any structured way. We can only provide guidelines for the most efficient testing possible. The guidelines are

Watch a Qualifying Film. The test is designed around adrenal response to danger, terror and the macabre, so please stick to movies of the Horror and Thriller genre. In previous iterations, we have allowed Mini-Series to qualify. However, this has proven to complicate the results of the test, and so it is preferred that they are abstained from this challenge. For structure, we also have determined that the cinematic experience must be 60 minutes or longer to qualify as a film. In the past, people have used a...What was it called...Masters of Horror? episodes?...as a testing material. These are also disqualified, unless they are 60 minutes or longer.

Write The Results of Your Experiment. Because of the procedures of this Test--er, "Challenge", yes--this part of the test is open to abstraction. Discuss emotional responses, discuss personal histories with the film you chose for your experiment, discuss the film-making techniques, or critical analysis of the film...Our computers and the scientists running them are highly complex, so any written discussion will be accepted. Simply posting a film experiment without your thoughts completely perverts the test results, so please take the time to write your results.

Now the Amount of Films for your experiment are up to you. However, an average of 13 Films seems to give us the clearest results. A good Guinea Pig should strive for 13, but a great Guinea Pig should stress their little souls to the brink and try and fulfill as many experiments as possible. The choice is yours! And it has absolutely no bearing on your survival! In fact, let's forget I ever mentioned survival at all!

Before you get upset at the Testing Officials reviewing the results of your experiment for not allowing your choice of testing material to qualify, consider that there are literally thousands of movies that do qualify, and you should exert your energy into just finding and watching one of those instead of arguing your point. If a Guinea Pig is found purposefully breaking a rule against the test guidelines, demerits may be handed out.

Please refrain from asking what you are being tested for. The results of your testing will be shared on a need-to-know basis. All complaints about testing can be directed to the Complaint Department.

We understand that you may need time to prepare for The April Horror Movie Test Experiment Challenge. Please understand that

The Challenge Begins April 1st @ 12AM (for the eager night owl Guinea Pigs)

And as all beautiful things must come to an end, The Challenge Ends May 1st @ 12PM (EST). That means the final test results must be posted for evaluation by the deadline.

Thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, your regularly scheduled events will resume momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

More Information Will Be Provided On A Need-To-Know Basis

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 31, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

alright

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat it. you've compelled me to watch Guinea Pig films for this

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

So I took the Opening the Vault: A Chronological History of Queer Interest & LGBTQ+ Cinema list on Letterboxd, sorted by horror, and then randomly picked a bunch of films I hadn't seen before. Then I threw in a couple of classics I need to catch up on. I figured that would give me a nice list of obscure trash to expose myself to, and maybe even a few hidden treasures. My list currently stands at 111 films, but I imagine some of those are going to be difficult to source, so my goal is to watch 66+6 of them. 72, the reasonably attainable number of the beast.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

There is much work to be done this month but I'm certainly going to hit 13. I am excited. There are too many things I haven't gotten around to since the October challenge wrapped up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My body is ready. And I might be able to get my girlfriend to watch a few.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

My contributions to the experiment starts at midnight. I'll be sticking with streaming only and first time watches unless there's a FranChallenge, and I'll only be taking pauses for sleep and cooking until lastday of the Challenge. Of course if by some fluke I'm back to work, that'll obviously have priority. I'm setting no minimum or maximum per day beyond if my eyes start bleeding.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping to knock out the last ten movies I have from Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies:

Besides that, I may pick another list to work from, or I may just grab from the 450+ horror movies I have on my Letterboxd Watchlist.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lat October I finally got around to watching the Japanese found footage horror movie I'd been meaning to watch, Noroi. Only for all y'all to go crazy over One Cut of the Dead, which I didn't watch, so overall I broke even on number of Japanese found footage horror movies I intended to watch. So I'll watch that one and hopefully you guys will go gaga over another Japanese found footage horror movie so I can keep the cycle going.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I might try and do a giallo run since Prime was lousy with them last I checked

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
yessss :getin:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Welp my library is closed until further notice so this might help give my days some structure.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Alrighty, I’m gonna try for it. I accept the challenge and in the interest of making it a single blind study I will watch the first movie recommended to me in the thread. And do so for each subsequent post.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fr0id posted:

Alrighty, I’m gonna try for it. I accept the challenge and in the interest of making it a single blind study I will watch the first movie recommended to me in the thread. And do so for each subsequent post.

If you haven't seen it, watch Occult

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

fr0id posted:

Also The Seventh Curse, if you haven't seen it.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Now this is Tuesday news I can get behind!

I'm going to just try to do some combination of watching movies I have and filling out some of the LBD lists. Unless of course I come up with something better in the next several hours.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
October in April!

For a red-blooded gore whore, this is basically a second Christmas.

Rejoice! Death is not the end!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yes! I am so ready!

I am so beyond ready that I've "pregamed" 24 movies the last week or so. I even have little reviews all written up for all of them but like... I never expected it to get this big and now I'm just kind of embarrassed to post 22 reviews at once, or even in like 2-4 posts. poo poo got crazy.

But most of them are the first parts of franchises that I plan to finish off in April. Poltergeist, Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Re-Animator, Demons, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, Suspiria, Wishmaster, Final Destination, Hell House LLC, The Descent. I have sequels lined up for all of them so I can just talk about them then. The only films ones I watched that I won't be following up on are Gallowwalkers - which was real bad - , Blair Witch 2 - which was pretty not great -, and Candyman - which I love but I already finished its sequels, or at least the ones released. Long story short? Candyman is a classic and one of my absolute favorites and the few horrors that speak more to my urban upbringing than these lost in the woods or cannibals in the dessert films. And I think the sequels are mediocre but decent enough if largely on the strength of Tony Todd's performance and Candyman remaining spooky and fun.

But here's the final list... or not the final list because I'm still gonna get 2 or 3 in unless I pass out or get really distracted. Its not like I have anywhere to go.

[sub]March “Madness” Pre-Gaming
Watched - New (Total)
1) Gallowwalkers (2012); - (2). Re-Animator (1985); - (3). Candyman (1992); - (4). Bride of Re-Animator (1990); - (5) Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000); - (6). Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (1995); - (7). Poltergeist (1982); - (8). Candyman: Day of the Dead (1999); - (9). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974); - (10). Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986); - (11). Wishmaster (1997); - (12). The Exorcist (1973); - (13). Hell House LLC (2015); 2 (14). The Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977); - (15). Hell House LLC II: The Abaddon Hotel (2018); - (16). Final Destination (2000); - (17). The Prophecy (1995); - (18). Poltergeist III (1988); 3 (19). The Exorcist III (1990); - (20). Idle Hands (1999); - (21). Night of the Living Dead (1990); - (22). Psycho (1960); - (23). Demons (1985); (24). The Descent (2005); [/sub[

Monsters, The Abominable Dr. Phibes, and Suspiria on the slot for tonight. And then a big one if I'm still awake at midnight to kick off April.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

so we're just watching the guinea pig films on a loop until the lockdown is done. got it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In for 13

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My April challenge will be to watch all 13 Horror films written and directed by George Romero.

Romero wrote and directed 14 films but one of those is not a horror film.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 31, 2020

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I'll participate again.

As a relation to the Horror Bracketology thread, my goal will be to watch at least 13 movies that I haven't seen from the franchises in the running.

Right now this is the list I've come up with that I can choose from:

Beyond Re-Animator (Tubi)
Bride of Re-Animator (Prime)
Children of the Corn: Genesis (Tubi)
Exorcist III (Prime)
From Dusk Till Dawn 2-3 (DVR)
Ginger Snaps (Prime)
Hatchet II-III (Prime)
Hills Have Eyes Part 2 (1985) (Prime)
House II: The Second Story (Prime)
Leprechaun 4 (DVR)
Phantasm 3-5 (Prime)
Prom Night 2 (Prime)
Prom Night 4 (Prime)
Return of the Living Dead (Prime)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (Prime)
Silent Night, Deadly Night 3-4 (Tubi)
Sleepaway Camp 3 (Tubi)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (DVR)
Texas Chainsaw (Prime)
Tremors 2-6 (Netflix)
Wishmaster: The Prophecy Fulfilled (Tubi)
Witchcraft (Prime)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I'm in for 13 movies I haven't seen. I may also ask for suggestions later, depending.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

I'm hoping to knock out the last ten movies I have from Edgar Wright's 100 Favorite Horror Movies:

Besides that, I may pick another list to work from, or I may just grab from the 450+ horror movies I have on my Letterboxd Watchlist.

Hmmm, there's 60+ in there I haven't seen.

Think I'll just use this list as a jumping off point. My AHMC starts tonight tho, with a viewing of The Thing 4K restoration. I'll have to post a letterbox'd profile again.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I took today off because I was sick (regular sick, not COVID sick) and started a day early. I'm already two movies in! I'll commit to thirteen total. Or fifteen, if I'm breaking the rules by starting early.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I'm in for 13. Not sure if I'm going to make it, but I'm up to try.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Hell yeah. I'll try to go for 19 (for obvious reasons) movies I haven't seen before, that should be interesting.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m down for 13. I had a list of 12 movies i need to see but I already watched Alien and Aliens this week.

I will gladly accept recommendations for the last 4 spots.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TheBizzness posted:

I’m down for 13. I had a list of 12 movies i need to see but I already watched Alien and Aliens this week.

I will gladly accept recommendations for the last 4 spots.

Occult.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Added.

I’ve watched In the Mouth of Madness since there also so I guess I still need 3.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

Added.

I’ve watched In the Mouth of Madness since there also so I guess I still need 3.

Alucarda

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can do at least 13 movies.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

Added.

Ravenous, Boxer's Omen

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm in and I'm down for at least 13. I'm usually really bad at these half-year challenges, but the quarantine should improve my chances a good deal this year. Yay I guess.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Down to repeat last year's self-imposed challenge of thirteen movies from thirteen different countries.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

My first film for the challenge is:
1) Creepy dir. by Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Kurosawa is probably most notable for directing Pulse. I also recently watched his Cure (barely missing the deadline lol). People in the horror thread commented on how good this was so it was high on my watch list and fortunately it's on Amazon Prime for easy viewing.

The movie definitely has things in common with Cure-both are detective stories, both have a strong theme of control running through them. It's also somewhat of a slow burn that starts ramping up the tension as it progresses. However, Creepy seems altogether a much meaner movie than Cure was. It's definitely well done, although I will say I do have a little bit of a quibble with how certain things progress. The performances are well done throughout, and really help-the main antagonist is definitely creepy and awkward. An enjoyable first entry into my challenge this month, and much the same type of recommendation that I had for Cure-anyone looking for a good psychological thriller or detective story with some genuinely horrific moments.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is there any restriction wrt the movies being new to me? I mean obviously those should be the majority, but I've got a couple of flicks I've seen before, but not in a while, that might provide some good data.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I can't commit to 13 movies as I'm working from home, not furloughed, but I have a backlog to catch up with. Mandy, Overlord, Annihilation and The Guest are the highlights, and Colour out of Space is on the way next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Hell yeah. I'll try to go for 19 (for obvious reasons) movies I haven't seen before, that should be interesting.

Oh that's a good idea.
I'll also go for 19 movies I haven'ts seen before
Should be doable in these dark, boring times.

1: The Abominable Dr. Phibes
Vincent Price stars as the titular character, a mad genius on a revenge mission against the medical staff who failed to save his wife.
He goes after them with elaborate traps and a theme of the 10 Plagues of Egypt (loosely - some liberties are taken).

I was reminded of Saw, most especially during the last trap, which was a very Jigsaw thing to do. Phibes also creates toy-like clockwork figures and wears a mask
It's at times horrifying and others very funny, whether intentionally like unscrewing a corpse from a left threaded unicorn horn, or less intentionally like the adorable fruit bats presented as a menacing threat.

Good start here, this is one the the top Vincent Price movies I've seen