Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for March, 2020?
This poll is closed.
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 28 52.83%
:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (KO-D Openweight Champion) 9 16.98%
:kamina: Naruki Doi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 5.66%
Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 2 3.77%
Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.89%
:justflu: None of the Above 10 18.87%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Technically speaking he was only champion for 30 minutes that month, but in February Jon Moxley could not be denied. After weeks and weeks of having Chris Jericho do everything in his power to destroy Moxley's chance at winning gold, at Revolution Moxley outsmarted a rival he's wrestled across two different promotions, but this time in a far more creatively fulfilling way. Pretending his eye injury was worse than it was, Moxley avoided Jericho's Judas Effect and hit the Paradigm Shift to... shift the paradigm! Moxley's 30 minutes were enough to make him Rowdy Ringsports' favorite pro-wrestler of February, his first win since June of 2016 and only his second win ever. It's a good thing too, because a lot of poo poo went down in March!

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. The COVID-19 Global Pandemic threw wrestling for a loop this month (and perhaps many to come) so a number of promotion's champions do not feature this time around due to a lack of title matches.

This does create a (hopefully) unique situation, this is your chance to push for a Champ you love who would normally struggle to get votes. I'd have included the usually dropped off IMPACT, NWA, NXT & PWG Champions just to make up the numbers but they haven't had any title matches and wouldn't have been on the poll anyway!

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone, listed in the order of most votes for the previous month where applicable. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

:kamina: Naruki Doi (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Squeaking in before shows were canceled or turned into Empty Arena shows, Naruki Doi had his second successful title defense when he defeated Susumu Yokosuka in front of 800 people, a crowd that even WWE can only dream of in the current world situation.

:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (KO-D Openweight Champion) - The legend extended his undefeated reign over DDT by knocking off his hand-picked challenger, DDT's future ace and most successful champion, Konosuke Takeshita. With his upcoming title match against Yukio Sakaguchi postponed due to the outbreak of Covid19, will Tanaka walk into Peter Pan at Saitama Super Arena's main event as KO-D Champion. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Kento Miyahara (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Miyahara has made it clear that he is the Ace of All Japan, with lengthy title reigns and incredible matches. But it seems he is not quite yet THE Ace, as he fell on his 12th title defense of this reign.

Suwama (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Suwama has been Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion 7 times, more than any other wrestler including both the legendary Toshiaki Kawada and Mitsuharu Misawa. At 43 years old you would think his best days were behind him, but he was good enough to defeat the younger Kento Miyahara in a MOTYC to earn his recordbreaking (his own record!) 7th title reign.

:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - In the match that everyone is talking about and will be for years to come (seriously, watch it), the man who has proclaimed himself to be more than just NOAH's champion but the very spirit of NOAH itself went toe to toe with Inokiism resurgent in the form of Inoki's Last Disciple, Kazuyuki Fujita. Unfazed by the death stare of Fujita and the eerily quiet Korakuen Hall, Shiozaki stared down his opponent for 30 minutes straight, forcing Fujita to do the unthinkable and make the first move. After surviving the onslaught of Fujita, Shiozaki finally put down Ol' Ironhead for the three count for the first time since Masashiro Chono defeated Fujita in the 2005 G1 Climax to once and for all defend his mentor Misawa's legacy against the invading force of Inokiism. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:justflu: None of the Above - If COVID-19 has you too down to vote, or you're mad that there aren't any non-Japanese Champions to vote for, or none of the Champs listed are your cup of tea, then this is the option for you. Vote None of the Above and mark this month for the aberration it is... if enough of you agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
this month, consider voting for None of the Above

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Has to be Go Shiozaki for the insane match he had.

For your consideration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtaOgYzlhCQ

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 1, 2020

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I watched the Go match so he gets the vote

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Naruki Doi

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i think it would rule to have masato tanaka as a champion of the month in 2020 and I hope you all agree

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

John Dudebro posted:

i think it would rule to have masato tanaka as a champion of the month in 2020 and I hope you all agree

Well the way things are going it might be him and the WWE champions as the only options next month. (he's defending in an empty Shinjuku FACE on April 12th)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Gotta be Go, who wrestled in the bonafide match of the year this month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Naruki Doi gets my vote

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Venomous posted:

Gotta be Go, who wrestled in the match of the millennium this month.

:agreed:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Tanaka's match with Takeshita ruled, sad it's going up against the most intense staredown of the millenia

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Shouldn't Kenny Omega, who defended the AAA Mega title be eligible?

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Shouldn't Kenny Omega, who defended the AAA Mega title be eligible?

it's a lucha title

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
A fair counter argument, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day down, 3 to go, and remember this is your best chance yet to make sure a champion who normally gets overshadowed has their chance to shine!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping for more votes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Courtesy of Green Lantern Fan's Daily Motion page, You can watch champ of the month Naruki Doi vs champ of the year Susumu Yokosuka (he's the AJPW Jr champ & his reign has just been banger after banger)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Voted for Masato Tanaka out of nostalgia for his ECW matches with Mike Awesome decades ago where they tried their level best to murder each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is the last day to vote, please vote!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Voted for Masato Tanaka out of nostalgia for his ECW matches with Mike Awesome decades ago where they tried their level best to murder each other.

He also had a great match with Takeshita recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df7r6kICy7U

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
voting in the second-to-last champ thread of 2020

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
quick question about April: does the fact that Wrestlemania technically happened in March mean that the WWE Champions aren't eligible next month? DOn't know if you work off taping dates or air dates for things like that.

I'm admittedly asking just because it'd be funny if the poll next month was literally just Masato Tanaka and NOTA

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

IceAgeComing posted:

quick question about April: does the fact that Wrestlemania technically happened in March mean that the WWE Champions aren't eligible next month? DOn't know if you work off taping dates or air dates for things like that.

iirc WWE acknowledges reigns from the air date rather than the taping date, so I don't see any reason to go against that other than to be a contrarian

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I go from the airdate, so all the Mania matches count for April.

Don't forget to vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There were only roughly half the votes this month, but it was sadly to be expected given how much wrestling WASN'T on in March due to the COVID-19 Global Pandemic causing so many shows to be canceled or title matches to be delayed. But despite the low voting turnout, there was a clear winner and there's a chance they might have won regardless, because Pro-Wrestling NOAH made it's debut on the Champ of the Month poll rankings, their first win the 14 years these polls have been running. Go Shiozaki defeated Kazuyuki Fujita in an incredible match that took complete advantage of the bizarre empty arena situation to do something really unique, and while it might not aid the rewatch value of the match, Shiozaki's complete confidence translated to a victory in a match that got a ton of positive press. Who knows what the future may bring with the global situation still in a weird flux, but for now Shiozaki and NOAH itself take their place in the winner's circle.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

bubba ray dudley

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bully Ray was legit a great character at the time. :colbert:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

March 2017 makes me laugh every time

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What really gets to me is that when the result came in, the reaction from a lot of posters was that it was a good result because neither voting bloc wanted their champ to lose but dug the other voting bloc's champ as well :shobon:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Fully: Nay

btw i regret not voting Io

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i remember when go shiozaki's move was the Go Flasher and he was turned down for a wwe tryout harley race had brought him in for because he was "too japanese"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
2010 was a dire year.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I want to state that it is a god drat CRIME that AAA Mega Champion Kenny Omega was not on this poll when he defended his title on Dynamite.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I kind of hate that None of the Above is an option. If you can't find one good champion every month you need to watch less bad wrestling & more good wrestling.

Seams posted:

2010 was a dire year.

You made me think, with all the free time a lot of us have with the virus, might it not be fun to go back and reappraise some of the earlier months?

Since you mentioned 2010 I just looked at January, there were 6 champions, 3 from WWE, TNA, ROH & Evolve & Evolve doesn't even have a champ listed so might just have been NotA? Then I looked on Cagematch for events that month, 1st Jan 2010, ZERO 1, Toshiaki Kawada vs Deisuke Sekimoto. Come on, winner of that is better than Christian or Sheamus. Sugiura defends the GHC Heavyweight title at Wrestle Kingdom, Nakamura against Takayama for the IWGP HW Title, and so on.

Actually, I really want to find that Zero 1 show now, just to watch Ikuto Hidaka & Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Fujita Hayato & Munenori Sawa

Probably wouldn't be able to find every match easily online but there'd be enough I reckon, & besides, the voters change, tastes change. At least I think it could be a fun project to fill in the blank spots where no voting happened in 2006.

Sanguinia posted:

I want to state that it is a god drat CRIME that AAA Mega Champion Kenny Omega was not on this poll when he defended his title on Dynamite.

Kenny being on there would be lame & boring because a) when else did lucha champions get included? & b) it's nice to get a non-AEW or NJPW or WWE champ for a change.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 5, 2020

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

What really gets to me is that when the result came in, the reaction from a lot of posters was that it was a good result because neither voting bloc wanted their champ to lose but dug the other voting bloc's champ as well :shobon:

I was an Okada mark back then? :stonk:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

2010 was just a bad year out right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OFFICER LIGER posted:

2010 was just a bad year out right.

I'm just noticing The Miz as Champion of the year. Yowsers. Takashi Sugiura woz robbed. Him or Suwama.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is on pace to be the most diverse year we’ve had, so far every month has had a champ from a different company

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Of course Sugiura would clean house if we ran the polls today, but nobody on this forum was watching puro in 2010 so it seems kinda weird to keep harping on that

It's no coincidence that NJPW finally started showing up when it became more accessible through the ustream ippvs

Benne fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

Of course Sugiura would clean house if we ran the polls today, but nobody on this forum was watching puro in 2010 so it seems kinda weird to keep harping on that

It's no coincidence that NJPW finally started showing up when it became more accessible through the ustream ippvs

Yeah, I know, you'd often wait months for stuff to get uploaded because they were ripping them from imported DVDs, ain't nobody with an IPTV sub to Samurai TV in 2010. That's why I think it'd be fun to do reappraisals. Of results over 10 years old. But I could just be being extremely dorky in looking for an excuse to watch old wrestling