Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So how right or wrong was my prediction that Jessie lives?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

only see one guy on twitch right now

https://www.twitch.tv/shadowsoul720

edit nm i was browsing under ffvii, not the remake. there are a few up but not a lot of viewers

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Elentor posted:

So how right or wrong was my prediction that Jessie lives?
I haven't gotten that far yet in 6.5 hours (just getting towards Reactor 5), but (speculation based on story so far) I feel like they're leading up to her dying since shes so thirsty for cloud, and she even says "come back to my house tomorrow night (after the reactor 5 mission), my roommates will be gone"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Going off of reddit it sounds like they did manage to add new stuff to the plot and timing that is not needed and is worse.

Big spoilers from reddit:

Thought 1. I've seen people say Tifa is very cheerful which seems against her character. But I actually think her VAs have a lot to do with that. In English, Tifa seems to sound a lot more cheerful and upbeat, but her Japanese VA is giving Tifa a tone of voice and style of speech/speaking that makes her feel very much the typical Yamato Nadesico or whatever that trope is called. Like the ideal Japanese waifu (except she beats ppl up). And of course in Japanese Aerith seems like typical manic pixie dream girl but that's her character.

In terms of what I don't like I think there's WAY too much foreshadowing in this game. Like they actually loving SHOWED US flashes of Aerith's loving death??? Was that necessary? Like in the original she said she has a materia and it's good for nothing. It was so casual in the original that when you first play it not knowing anything, you don't even think about it again. But this time it's like BUT IT'S THE WHITE MATERIA AERITH IS GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD WITH IT!!!!!111!!!11111 *flash flash flash to her super iconic death scene* For why? Is it necessary for Not-Really Sephiroth to show up once an hour to give Cloud those headaches? Is he contractually obliged? Not to mention the Watchmen of Fate stuff just seems so unnecessary so far, like they're there to point out everytime something ~fateful~ happens and it's like, no poo poo they're the main characters everything they do is part of the storyline therefore fate?

It just reminds me so far of what happens when the creators of some iconic originally thing have to make a prequel or remake or sequel and ending up getting swallowed up in the iconicness of the original and they have to reference it or flanderize it and exaggerate it whereas the beauty of the original was that it was just a well told story. A George Lucas tea.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Dave posted:

Going off of reddit it sounds like they did manage to add new stuff to the plot and timing that is not needed and is worse.

Big spoilers from reddit:

Thought 1. I've seen people say Tifa is very cheerful which seems against her character. But I actually think her VAs have a lot to do with that. In English, Tifa seems to sound a lot more cheerful and upbeat, but her Japanese VA is giving Tifa a tone of voice and style of speech/speaking that makes her feel very much the typical Yamato Nadesico or whatever that trope is called. Like the ideal Japanese waifu (except she beats ppl up). And of course in Japanese Aerith seems like typical manic pixie dream girl but that's her character.

In terms of what I don't like I think there's WAY too much foreshadowing in this game. Like they actually loving SHOWED US flashes of Aerith's loving death??? Was that necessary? Like in the original she said she has a materia and it's good for nothing. It was so casual in the original that when you first play it not knowing anything, you don't even think about it again. But this time it's like BUT IT'S THE WHITE MATERIA AERITH IS GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD WITH IT!!!!!111!!!11111 *flash flash flash to her super iconic death scene* For why? Is it necessary for Not-Really Sephiroth to show up once an hour to give Cloud those headaches? Is he contractually obliged? Not to mention the Watchmen of Fate stuff just seems so unnecessary so far, like they're there to point out everytime something ~fateful~ happens and it's like, no poo poo they're the main characters everything they do is part of the storyline therefore fate?

It just reminds me so far of what happens when the creators of some iconic originally thing have to make a prequel or remake or sequel and ending up getting swallowed up in the iconicness of the original and they have to reference it or flanderize it and exaggerate it whereas the beauty of the original was that it was just a well told story. A George Lucas tea.

Okay but have you considered it might not be a remake? Y'all ever heard of being Rebuild'd?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean if you read the thing I wrote that isn't a quote yes, yes I did.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Dave posted:

I mean if you read the thing I wrote that isn't a quote yes, yes I did.

No... what I mean is This is a sequel to FFVII. Disguised as a remake.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that is specifically what people are considering and are saying the way it is being executed on top of the original story is not graceful.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Screens from Chapter 9:
https://imgur.com/a/NumgSrx

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That requires you to sign into Imgur for some reason.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I think Squenix just decided to shrug and hedge their bets, because frankly after all these years of fans going on about Aerith and about Sephiroth (and there's Sephiroth's popularity, etc) and all the rest, if they'd made a game that lacked in certain beats -- especially Sephiroth -- there would have been riots no matter how illogical those riots would be based on the original's plot beats. Maybe even moreso from those who never played the original, just absorbed it. "They said he's a badass but I didn't even see him yet?! He's the villain isn't he?"

So it's a case of meeting in the middle to try and match expectations and possibly/probably succeeding ... about as much as expected.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Aeris acting like a psychopath in the middle of the street is pretty funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PancakeTransmission posted:

I haven't gotten that far yet in 6.5 hours (just getting towards Reactor 5), but (speculation based on story so far) I feel like they're leading up to her dying since shes so thirsty for cloud, and she even says "come back to my house tomorrow night (after the reactor 5 mission), my roommates will be gone"

Oh my god

GOTY

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

where the gently caress are all my streams

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

Seems like you can't actually stream the game yet. A streamer I was watching yesterday had their account deleted lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't believe I lived enough to see this rendered in real-time with more details than the original pre-renders could ever dream to have.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

There were a ton earlier, but then the banhammer came down

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

From the other thread:

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

And as for the meeting with Aerith afterwards, it reaaaally seems like the idea that this is an AU might be plausible. Cloud has a brief vision of Aerith's death when she talks to him about the Holy Materia.

See, this kind of stuff worries me. I think there's something potentially interesting there if they can pull it off, but I don't have a lot of faith in it. "Keep the story how it was but expand on some aspects" is what I thought they were going to do and I think it'd be a big misstep to change things up a lot or do a "this is a new timeline and Cloud has flashes of memories from the other timeline" kind of thing, especially for people playing this as their first FF7 experience.

Obviously that's still all speculation at this point and for all we know they're just giving Cloud weird precognitive flashes to go with his weird memory flashes but I dunno, that kinda thing makes me uneasy.

Onmi posted:

Okay but have you considered it might not be a remake? Y'all ever heard of being Rebuild'd?

So, how did this go for Evangelion? I'd heard of the Rebuild but I don't know much about what it changed or how good it was.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

From the other thread:

See, this kind of stuff worries me. I think there's something potentially interesting there if they can pull it off, but I don't have a lot of faith in it. "Keep the story how it was but expand on some aspects" is what I thought they were going to do and I think it'd be a big misstep to change things up a lot or do a "this is a new timeline and Cloud has flashes of memories from the other timeline" kind of thing, especially for people playing this as their first FF7 experience.

Obviously that's still all speculation at this point and for all we know they're just giving Cloud weird precognitive flashes to go with his weird memory flashes but I dunno, that kinda thing makes me uneasy.

So, how did this go for Evangelion? I'd heard of the Rebuild but I don't know much about what it changed or how good it was.

It didn't go well. Namely, because I don't think Anno knew where the gently caress he wanted to take it.

As for VIIRE The scene in question, is a quick flash of the white materia bouncing on the stone. It, combined with a lot of elements, have me sure this is a sequel hiding as a remake. and I wouldn't be surprised if later games use different "RE" names, leading up to "Reunion" More pointedly, here's how I would expect things to go

This game still pretty much follows FF7's plotline, things are expanded, and there's a lot of extra intrigue that's not originally there, but it's, all together, FF7's Midgar. I would expect the next game to deviate further from this, maybe direct things not happening the way they should have happened. A remixing of events. Things like the Tiny Bronco not being shot down and being forced to use as a boat, or it is completely destroyed, forcing the party to find a proper boat to proceed. And I expect the further it gets, the more cascading the effect is going to get. Until we're finally confronted with the fact this isn't a remake of FF7, but a sequel, masquerading as a remake.

Me, personally, I'm all on board the Nomura Crazytrain, but I really do feel for people like Man, I just wanted a remake

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

The Dave posted:

Yeah, having seen all of these things, it was a bit too much. Cloud's headaches happen about as often as he breathes.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 2, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I liked the Rebuild snd felt like it has been mostly well received. Though Eva's original tv and movie endings were extremely divisive to start with (hence why we got a movie redoing the ending and then a series of movies doing it again be) so it has the advantage of there being a built in chunk of the fanbase that hated the original and first remake's endings.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
LOL Jessie straight up tells Cloud she wants to gently caress him and his response is "are you seriously that desperate?"

oh man

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Not a major spoiler or anything but I burst out laughing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hear the Turks do, too. :unsmigghh:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

TommyGun85 posted:

LOL Jessie straight up tells Cloud she wants to gently caress him and his response is "are you seriously that desperate?"

oh man

Look goons. I don't know how to break it to you, but sometimes, a person just isn't attractive to you no matter how hard you are attractive to them. Besides Tifa is the better girl anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

It didn't go well. Namely, because I don't think Anno knew where the gently caress he wanted to take it.

As for VIIRE The scene in question, is a quick flash of the white materia bouncing on the stone. It, combined with a lot of elements, have me sure this is a sequel hiding as a remake. and I wouldn't be surprised if later games use different "RE" names, leading up to "Reunion" More pointedly, here's how I would expect things to go

This game still pretty much follows FF7's plotline, things are expanded, and there's a lot of extra intrigue that's not originally there, but it's, all together, FF7's Midgar. I would expect the next game to deviate further from this, maybe direct things not happening the way they should have happened. A remixing of events. Things like the Tiny Bronco not being shot down and being forced to use as a boat, or it is completely destroyed, forcing the party to find a proper boat to proceed. And I expect the further it gets, the more cascading the effect is going to get. Until we're finally confronted with the fact this isn't a remake of FF7, but a sequel, masquerading as a remake.

Me, personally, I'm all on board the Nomura Crazytrain, but I really do feel for people like Man, I just wanted a remake

Really, even if this isn't a sequel masquerading as a remake, it does look like it might be leaning way too hard on "the player knows everything that's going to happen so we need to tease them with the Big Things they're excited to see" to the point that it might be alienating for someone who has never played FF7. I hope that's not the case but it would be pretty disappointing it it ended up going that way.

As for the Rebuild of FFVII theory, if nothing else I think it would actually be cool if each game had a different "Re" name. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something like that. And if they do go with this being a "Rebuild" situation, I hope it's subtle plot changes, things that hint at "things are going a little differently this time," and not something that totally upends the entire plot, like Aerith surviving and things like that.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Gologle posted:

Look goons. I don't know how to break it to you, but sometimes, a person just isn't attractive to you no matter how hard you are attractive to them. Besides Tifa is the better girl anyway

telling someone you arent interested is very different than calling them out on their desperation...which is why its funny.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Really, even if this isn't a sequel masquerading as a remake, it does look like it might be leaning way too hard on "the player knows everything that's going to happen so we need to tease them with the Big Things they're excited to see" to the point that it might be alienating for someone who has never played FF7. I hope that's not the case but it would be pretty disappointing it it ended up going that way.

As for the Rebuild of FFVII theory, if nothing else I think it would actually be cool if each game had a different "Re" name. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something like that. And if they do go with this being a "Rebuild" situation, I hope it's subtle plot changes, things that hint at "things are going a little differently this time," and not something that totally upends the entire plot, like Aerith surviving and things like that.

I am entirely unsure on Aerith surviving or not. Because on the one hand, Aerith living is like... you can't, right? It's... Aerith DIES... it's the whole thing... but counterpoint. Aerith's death was so shocking and impactful, because you didn't see it coming, and no one came to replace her. The only way to elicit that same feeling of shock... is if she doesn't die. The other reason I think so... is Hollow. The ending track for VIIRE... like... that song is very clearly Cloud singing about Aerith and wanting a Do Over from losing her. As well, in Chapter 2, one of the Sephiroth hallucinations Cloud has literally pushes Aerith out of the way to mock Cloud for not being able to save her, basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8xjXZ2xdEQ

That said, the other way to make Aerith's death a shock, is to remix and do events differently and lead the player to believe they'd be willing to not kill her, and even juke them out about it, and then do it anyway. I have no idea, and I kinda love it... because I want to have no idea, that's exciting to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rude has different attack animations for when he's hitting Cloud compared to when he's hitting Aerith. :allears:

He'll combo attack Cloud and giant throw him, but in comparison he uses Sleep spells on Aerith and tries to knock her out with one of those anime neck chops.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh poo poo, I hadn't paid attention to the lyrics before. Interesting song to do for the first part of the remake, too.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 2, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, I hadn't paid attention to the lyrics before. Interesting song to do for the first part of the remake, too.

Yeah, I'd decided to go look at the trailer and then paused, and looked up the lyrics and my mind just went "Hold on... what?" and then in the english version of the video I linked (which didn't have the lyrics displayed, hence why I linked the japanese one) Uematsu confirms the song is being sung from Cloud's perspective in the rain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, I hope if that's what they're actually doing, it's done in a way that works for first-time players, too, and not just for people who know the original story inside and out.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So if this is actually a sequel masquerading as a remake, then where/when does it take place? Is this all in Cloud's head? Is he in a coma again? Is this all a dream?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Harrow posted:

I mean if part 2 gets to the Aerith dies scene and Sephiroth instead destroys or steals holy instead and it ends with Aerith freaking out instead of Cloud. Hell maybe all the future visions are a trick by Sephiroth to fool Cloud into stopping Aerith's sacrifice and accidentally dooming the world. That could be interesting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

So if this is actually a sequel masquerading as a remake, then where/when does it take place? Is this all in Cloud's head? Is he in a coma again? Is this all a dream?

Clearly Ansem from Kingdom Hearts showed up in Midgar and taught Sephiroth how to travel back in time by discarding his body. Armed with that power, Sephiroth is now changing the past to ensure his victory, while Genesis and Weiss return to the past as the dementors to try and correct the changes Sephiroth is making.

I don't believe a word of that, but it sounds like the kind of nonsense Nomura would pull. :argh:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theres a bunch of different ways they can make it happen. It could be an AU, it could still potentially be the "normal" universe. Cloud has a habit of just making poo poo up in his mind as a coping mechanism. We could be seeing a version of the events that let him cope with all the poo poo that has happened that lead up to him getting dipped into a pile of mako in disk 2 and the game picks up back in the normal universe when he wakes up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wasn't there some statement a while back about how they consider the FF7 Remake to be a separate continuity anyway?

Really as long as it isn't ~*~all just a dream~*~ I think it could at least be interesting to see play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Well, I hope if that's what they're actually doing, it's done in a way that works for first-time players, too, and not just for people who know the original story inside and out.

Same, but I can't deny being on this train.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Time Loop. This isn't entirely impossible either, as, while this is definitely trash most people don't even know. The secret ending of Dirge of Cerberus has Genesis show up and collect one of the dumb dudes, the one you don't fight, to go "It is not yet time to slumber, we have much work yet to do, my brother" So... if they decided to go FULL stupid, Whatever their work is wound up looping time back.

And, I think the final nail in the Rebuild theory to me, is the Watchmen of Fate descriptions.

The physical manifestations of future destiny, they fight with swords to protect the future that shaped them.
The physical manifestations of future destiny, they fight barehanded to protect the future that shaped them.

DO NOT LOOK IN THAT BECAUSE IT'S PROBABLY THE MOST MAJOR SPOILER IN THE GAME IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.