Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cid will be like "get some drat tea" and this time she's gonna go "get it your drat SELF"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
The fact that she's at his house at all sort of means she's down with his verbal abuse. I'd like to remind everyone that Shera is not Cid's wife, or girlfriend. She was a co-worker that feels guilty about "ruining" Cid's dream of going to space, so she hangs around and tries to help to make up for it, making her a constant target for all of Cid's frustrations about his how lame his life is now.

I mean, I guess they could censor it all and make it really tame, but their dynamic is kinda core to Cid's character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...she's not his wife?

Is this the Mandela effect again

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There's some sort of involvement there but yeah Shera and Cid aren't referred to as married anywhere in the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No the characters assume she's his wife and Cid basically goes '@&£$ who'd marry her'

Because he's an rear end in a top hat

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

The fact that she's at his house at all sort of means she's down with his verbal abuse.

Can we not

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

The fact that she's at his house at all sort of means she's down with his verbal abuse.

What the gently caress.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oh, I'm not trying to make some sort of statement about "victims are asking for it". I was responding to the:

precision posted:

Cid will be like "get some drat tea" and this time she's gonna go "get it your drat SELF"

If Shera was sassy and thought Cid should piss off, then why would she even be there in the first place? In the OG, she's not married to him, she's not in a relationship with him. They have a hosed up dynamic where she feels responsible for killing his dream (she shouldn't) and he feels entitled to her helping him out (he shouldn't). It's their mutual warped viewpoints that keeps them together, and if Shera had a more healthy and realistic outlook on things she wouldn't be hanging around Cid's place at all.

Edit: To clarify, Cid's verbal abuse is NOT JUSTIFIED in any way. I'm saying, for the story, the reason Shera is there at all is because she's decided that she's "guilty" of something and that Cid is justified in yelling at her, which is wrong and hosed up.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 5, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

precision posted:

...she's not his wife?

Is this the Mandela effect again

The Gang assumes that the two of them are married and Cid is like, "What?? No? What the gently caress are you idiots talking about?" and that's that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

He did name his new airship after her in Advent Children, so it's possible they actually got together in a big whole problematic relationship after the events of the original.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yeah I think they actually got married some time between FF7 and AC.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah they're married in AC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

He did name his new airship after her in Advent Children, so it's possible they actually got together in a big whole problematic relationship after the events of the original.

To be fair that was the trend amongst the party anyways

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair that was the trend amongst the party anyways

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the party shacking up into problematic relationships, but I'm just going to ignore that and assume you're saying that every character named their new airship after Shera/Sierra leading to mass confusion at the parking lot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Just Andi Now posted:

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the party shacking up into problematic relationships, but I'm just going to ignore that and assume you're saying that every character named their new airship after Shera/Sierra leading to mass confusion at the parking lot.

Cloud doesn't mention the real name of his motorcycle when Tifa's in earshot

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Yeah, Shera and Cid marry after Cid completes his character arc in VII, which is "Realizing Shera was right and that she saved my life, also I got to accomplish my dream, so literal Win-Win." while they're in the abusive stage, she's just "The lady who lives in my house who I can't get rid of"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cloud doesn't mention the real name of his motorcycle when Tifa's in earshot

You mean the Andreacycle?

Also found out just now that you can still just take the elevator in the Shinra building, you don't have to use the stairs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And if you walk all the way back down, Barret gives you poo poo for it

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

You mean the Andreacycle?

Rochycle

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Veib posted:

Rochycle

That's what the bike calls Cloud.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

precision posted:

And if you walk all the way back down, Barret gives you poo poo for it

:aaa:

Hang on. Going to do some unnecessary backtracking.

Though, I find it funny that other than the extra dialogue, there is absolutely no reason to take the stairs now. You get both more XP and more insight into the average Shinra schlub by taking the elevator.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

And they took out the stairs scene where Tifa apparently has to stop and pee in the stairwell, so what's the point!

Stairs is still best.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

And they took out the stairs scene where Tifa apparently has to stop and pee in the stairwell, so what's the point!

Stairs is still best.

What :stare:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Schwartzcough posted:

Stairs is still best.

Hey, uh... I don't think that doujinshi was canon, my dude

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So after staying ahead of you the whole time so far, she suddenly goes "uhhh.... you guys go on ahead!" while doing the leg-crossing pigeon-toed stance that generally means "I have to pee". Then she won't move until you advance to the next screen, at which point she'll catch up and pass you guys again.

She totally had to stop and pee.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
An lot of incredibly normal posting from Schwartzcough recently.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Y'know I remember that scene very clearly and I never quite knew what they were going for there. Some part of my brain went "She thought they were looking up her skirt and suddenly got self-conscious about it"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

An lot of incredibly normal posting from Schwartzcough recently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just using this comedy website to remind you fine folks to another often overlooked or forgotten weirdness of Final Fantasy 7!

DeathChicken posted:

Y'know I remember that scene very clearly and I never quite knew what they were going for there. Some part of my brain went "She thought they were looking up her skirt and suddenly got self-conscious about it"

Yeah, but then she immediately gets ahead of you on the stairs again, so that wouldn't make much sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Just using this comedy website to remind you fine folks to another often overlooked or forgotten weirdness of Final Fantasy 7!

That and the "Well actually she's okay with the abuse since she lives with him" stuff that you had to double clarify on to not sound like a weirdo. Maybe take a break.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

So after staying ahead of you the whole time so far, she suddenly goes "uhhh.... you guys go on ahead!" while doing the leg-crossing pigeon-toed stance that generally means "I have to pee". Then she won't move until you advance to the next screen, at which point she'll catch up and pass you guys again.

She totally had to stop and pee.

That's not her having to pee dumbass, she's aware she's wearing a miniskirt.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That and the "Well actually she's okay with the abuse since she lives with him" stuff that you had to double clarify on to not sound like a weirdo. Maybe take a break.

Yeah, that was my bad for not being clearer at first. I tend to assume everyone is on the same page as me regarding abuse being terrible and the victims never being at fault, so I didn't sufficiently make clear that I was merely discussing, from a story narrative motivation standpoint, that Shera sticks around Cid because she believes (wrongly) that she's guilty and deserves to be treated badly, and that changing their dynamic for the remake to be less hosed up and abusive would sort of change the entire Shera/Cid storyline.

TheKingofSprings posted:

That's not her having to pee dumbass, she's aware she's wearing a miniskirt.

Like I said, that'd be a valid interpretation if she didn't immediately end up right back where she was on the next screen:

She had some other motivation for wanting everyone else to go on ahead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, that was my bad for not being clearer at first. I tend to assume everyone is on the same page as me regarding abuse being terrible and the victims never being at fault, so I didn't sufficiently make clear that I was merely discussing, from a story narrative motivation standpoint, that Shera sticks around Cid because she believes (wrongly) that she's guilty and deserves to be treated badly, and that changing their dynamic for the remake to be less hosed up and abusive would sort of change the entire Shera/Cid storyline.

Like I said, that'd be a valid interpretation if she didn't immediately end up right back where she was on the next screen:

She had some other motivation for wanting everyone else to go on ahead.

No, it's because she is wearing a skirt. The line in Japanese makes it clear because Barret stammers out an apology and says he didn't mean to.

In fact you didn't include the Barrett line "Barret: What're ya ignorant? I didn't mean that..." which, despite being poorly translated, still makes it clear that he's saying "I didn't mean to do that."

It's literally the same "kyaa, I'm wearing a skirt and they can see my panties" joke as exists in a billion other things and the reason why it gets ignored on the next level is because it's a weird joke sequence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 6, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's because she is wearing a skirt. The line in Japanese makes it clear because Barret stammers out an apology and says he didn't mean to.

In fact you didn't include the Barrett line "Barret: What're ya ignorant? I didn't mean that..." which, despite being poorly translated, still makes it clear that he's saying "I didn't mean to do that."

Welp, that's even skeevier. I was using shots from a Let's Play which didn't include the Barret line.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Welp, that's even skeevier. I was using shots from a Let's Play which didn't include the Barret line.

Very Normal Posting.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
i'm more offended that someone thought rainbow barf makes for good ui design

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
gently caress yeah, Tifa pissing all over the stairs of toxic end game capitalist corporate consumerism!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Gologle posted:

gently caress yeah, Tifa pissing all over the stairs of toxic end game capitalist corporate consumerism!

:trumppop:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Now that I think about it, was there a single literal toilet humor joke in FF7 besides the one right before crawling in the vent?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Freakazoid_ posted:

i'm more offended that someone thought rainbow barf makes for good ui design

The game let the players customize the text boxes by picking out colors and gradients. Blame the player, not the designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Release the Tifa piss tape

Or don't

Yeah don't