Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SlimGoodbody posted:

Off topic, but I wanted to ask anyone who has played the MK games (I played the first 2 and have just been passively aware of them since via gamer cultural osmosis) if the games ever explained how everyone survives being constantly murdered into ground beef now that the games seem to have an overarching continuity and narrative?

Also, do they give a reason why, like, Johnny Cage would tear his screaming daughter's torso in half and do a goofy one liner or why Jax would pull his daughter's limbs off or whatever? Seems like a weird thing for families to do!

sharrrk posted:

fatalities arent canon and the ones between family like you said are especially weird and offputting

Proteus Jones posted:

The only explanation I can give you is that Story Mode is canonical, and anything outside of it is not. Also, even in Story Mode, regardless of how the best-2-out-of-3 matchup ends if the Story doesn't say they were killed, they weren't killed no matter how brutal the match ended.

Also the MK timeline has been reset a few times now.

Edit: loving snipe.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
If you want to be MAXIMUM NIHILISTIC every fatality is canon and part of an endless chain of in-universe timeline reboots.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The MK timeline has been reset so many bloody times that it's all pretty much irrelevant now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

:perfect:

Definitely the most bizarre choice in the flow of the montage. I agree with the take that this is one part where the original was superior in storytelling and style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnZd1PXTRI&t=629s

The shot of the newscaster getting murked on television while the plate drops in the background, Shinra listening to opera drowning out the carnage outside

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SlimGoodbody posted:

Off topic, but I wanted to ask anyone who has played the MK games (I played the first 2 and have just been passively aware of them since via gamer cultural osmosis) if the games ever explained how everyone survives being constantly murdered into ground beef now that the games seem to have an overarching continuity and narrative?

Also, do they give a reason why, like, Johnny Cage would tear his screaming daughter's torso in half and do a goofy one liner or why Jax would pull his daughter's limbs off or whatever? Seems like a weird thing for families to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvj6G_QQNk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/LeyfCosplay/status/1273386554099105792

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat, FFXIV is looking great these days.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I only have Chapter 18 left to beat on Hard but I am not loving looking forward to that last Sephiroth fight

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The arbiters are a pain in the rear end on Hard without using Lightning Elemental armor but Sephiroth is a blast.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Counterstance and knowing what his named attacks do makes the Sephiroth fight on Hard not all that difficult. I barely switched away from Cloud in that fight since both Tifa and Aerith had maxed Steadfast Block.

E: Saving Bahamut for his final phase was huge.

anakha fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 6, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Meanwhile I had no problems with the Arbiters but had to restart the Seph portion of the fight a bunch of times.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I sort of took a break on my hard mode run around the train graveyard but the one thing I am definitely not looking forward to is Ch 17's boss gauntlet with no chance to recover mp

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hey question about the soundtrack here, does anyone know the name of that track that plays in the train yard between the Ghoul and Eligor fights. The tense one with a few notes of the Turks theme in it? I can't find for some reason.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Caidin posted:

Hey question about the soundtrack here, does anyone know the name of that track that plays in the train yard between the Ghoul and Eligor fights. The tense one with a few notes of the Turks theme in it? I can't find for some reason.

On the soundtrack, the tracks between "Ghoul" and "Eligor" are:

- Alone
- Black Wind
- Waiting to Be Found

The most tense of those is Black Wind, so maybe that's the one you're looking for?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Takoluka posted:

On the soundtrack, the tracks between "Ghoul" and "Eligor" are:

- Alone
- Black Wind
- Waiting to Be Found

The most tense of those is Black Wind, so maybe that's the one you're looking for?

Nah I listened to all those and didn't hear the bit I was looking for, even checked some of the ones back a toward that cut scene where R and R start up their chopper and head toward the piller. It was on YouTube as Fight for Survival (alternative) for a bit but it got scrubbed when the soundtrack came out.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
It's potentially a track that never made it to the OST.

Some kind soul on Twitter directed me to this rip of the music that plays at the End of the Road section before you fight the Arbiters/Sephiroth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV21sTWEbeY

EDIT: I say "rip", I haven't ever explored sound options so I don't know if you can turn off all sounds but the music and someone just recorded this bit haha.

gredgie fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 6, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So...

https://novacrystallis.com/2020/07/final-fantasy-vii-remakes-second-part-is-in-full-development/

quote:

According to co-director Motomu Toriyama, [Roche] has a high chance of reappearing in the next installment.

Most important takeaway imho :toot:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Motocross race through Cosmo Canyon here we go.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
Best boy Roche for Princess!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Replace Sephiroth with Roche moving forward.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Final boss Safir Sephiroche.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1285605084987035650

watch this spot for more translations

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1285956785296207872

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1285833317250592768

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 22, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That's interesting. Nomura's interview essentially confirmed the old theory that "people can see the whispers when they come into contact with Aerith." However, there are clear examples of people seeing the Whispers without coming into contact with Aerith, such as Rufus near the end of the game, or Tifa/Barret/Jessie before the second bombing mission. Meanwhile, people who DID come into contact with Aerith sometimes can't see the whispers, such as Tseng near the end of the game, or Reno in the Church or on the Pillar, or Rude at the Pillar.

Now, Tifa/Barret/Jessie/Rufus all came into contact with Cloud after he came into contact with Aerith, but unless whisper-vision is contagious, that doesn't solve things.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

whisper-vision is contagious

This pandemic was the Whispers all along.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I didn’t pay attention to any of the hype or build up pre-release, and got out of the Shinra building thinking “I can’t wait to get out of Midgar and see the rest of the world!”

rip

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
I'm sure it's been talked through, but have stayed firmly clear of this thread so will hold off on full judgement till I've read up. But just finished and eh, game was alright. Some great stretches in the first half, but also some bits that made me want to switch off. The highlights were "source material with some embellishments" the absolute low points were the original content (the bike race/whole Jesse chapter, ending).

Wait and see I guess. Don't think we're going to get a more sophisticated version of the stolen identity/weird twin peaks style journey through Cloud's mind though, unless doing that challenges destiny/kills a god/can have a character doing bike flips.

Edit: did successfully make me want to replay the original, though.

Mesopotamia fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 22, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Jessie chapter was extremely good.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dkj posted:

I didn’t pay attention to any of the hype or build up pre-release, and got out of the Shinra building thinking “I can’t wait to get out of Midgar and see the rest of the world!”

rip

surprised it took this long for this to happen but congrats on being the first to admit it i think

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Schwartzcough posted:

That's interesting. Nomura's interview essentially confirmed the old theory that "people can see the whispers when they come into contact with Aerith." However, there are clear examples of people seeing the Whispers without coming into contact with Aerith, such as Rufus near the end of the game, or Tifa/Barret/Jessie before the second bombing mission. Meanwhile, people who DID come into contact with Aerith sometimes can't see the whispers, such as Tseng near the end of the game, or Reno in the Church or on the Pillar, or Rude at the Pillar.

Now, Tifa/Barret/Jessie/Rufus all came into contact with Cloud after he came into contact with Aerith, but unless whisper-vision is contagious, that doesn't solve things.

My own theory is 'You can see the Whispers if they directly interfere with you'

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Roche’s music was great. It would be a huge misstep to not have him in the mix for the next one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would not at all mind if they just replaced Cid with Roche

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, when Roche fully healed me for that fight, I yelled. I love those kinds of "HNNG, MY FATED RIVAL" characters so Roche being a fun, mundane version of that compared to how Sephiroth is apparently dealing with it is nice.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Could Rufus see the whispers? I remember there being a scene where he and Tseng looked out onto Midgar from the HQ, but they had no reaction to the whispers that were completely covering the building. I thought it was meant to be ambiguous whether they could or not.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Wow, yeah...Rufus can see them but Tseng can't...that cutscene went completely over my head...gotta say.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Momomo posted:

Could Rufus see the whispers? I remember there being a scene where he and Tseng looked out onto Midgar from the HQ, but they had no reaction to the whispers that were completely covering the building. I thought it was meant to be ambiguous whether they could or not.

Rufus could definitely see them, and he was looking to Tseng like, "are you seeing this weird poo poo?" and Tseng was all, "what?" Paraphrased, of course.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Rufus been smoking too much Mako.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, I really enjoyed visiting the upper plate and getting a lot more backstory on Jessie, although I wish there'd been more people to interact with while up there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rufus chapter in Part 2, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

precision posted:

Rufus chapter in Part 2, please

The finger on the monkeys paw curls and we get a section where you play as Rufus but it's filling in tedious Shinra corp paperwork and doing a speech to the boardroom instead of dashing with your shotgun and shooting folk with your laser coin gun trick.