Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
now we know how Cloud got to the Olympus Coliseum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Goddammit, and everything I’ve seen so far was looking so good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what’s going on anymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I haven't watched the thing but

The up and down with this game has been amazing. It's revealed and people freak out, then radio silence and everyone assumes it's either dead or will be awful, then E3 and the demo and everyone's like "actually this might be really good holy poo poo!", and then...

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

This seems like a good time to remember that both nomura and Kitase were directly involved with Dirge of Cerberus...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

This seems like a good time to remember that both nomura and Kitase were directly involved with Dirge of Cerberus...

Nomura drew the character designs for Dirge. That's his involvement. You know what they were also both involved with? FF7 the original, and a whole bunch of other games.

Anyway This is a sequel, just like I thought

OH poo poo SEPHIROTH IS PULLING A GARLAND TOO! I LOVE IT!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 3, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The end of the game got uploaded. The plot turns into Kingdom Hearts. :negative:

If you don't believe me, see here: Major Ending Spoilers

the link is dead someone repost it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Onmi posted:

Nomura drew the character designs for Dirge. That's his involvement. You know what they were also both involved with? FF7 the original, and a whole bunch of other games.

Anyway This is a sequel, just like I thought

Remake definitely seems to hold a greater meaning to the story than simply “this is FF7 for modern consoles”. This could be terrible or it could be batshit weird, but good..

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I still think this could work but I just hope it doesn't get too meta for its own good and let the "changing fate" thing end up overshadowing the main story. As I recall they've stated that all the major plot beats will be the same, so we can expect Aerith to die when the story gets there and all that, but given that the final boss fight seems to be some big Watchers of Fate thing instead of something connected to the core plot, I worry that the fate aspect will overshadow everything else.

I figured there'd be a new final boss to cap things off but I figured it'd be like a Jenova fight or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

the link is dead someone repost it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPLFF1ly1kQ

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HD DAD posted:

Remake definitely seems to hold a greater meaning to the story than simply “this is FF7 for modern consoles”. This could be terrible or it could be batshit weird, but good..

Like... I need to be clear, this isn't me being 'ironic' I genuinely love this twist. Because now I'm genuinely curious... AERITH SEE'S ZACK'S DEATH! WHAT'S THAT MEAN NOW?!

It's strange, in a way, how this perfectly encapsulates the emotional feeling of finishing Midgar in FF7 for the first time. Because at the end of Midgar you're learning that there's this huge world, that the Shinra company isn't the big threat, Sephiroth is, and the entire game has been recontextualized. With this ending, with Aerith imploring the group to help her fight fate, knowing it means that things will go different this time, with Sephiroth apparently maintaining his memories of the original timeline. Everything past this has new contextualization! Everything is completely different than what you thought you'd get, and unlike "Subverted expectations" I'm excited for this!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ahhahaha

I loving love it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unbelievably ballsy move and I hope it pays off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also can't possibly see this working for people who never played the original. I could be wrong about that but I have to imagine first timers are going to be baffled.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It is a cool concept, but the execution looks like Kingdom Hearts glitzy vomit. Very little interest now, especially with another 2-3 years of waiting for the next part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It occurs to me that they never wanted to remake FF7 in the first place. Wasn't the old line that they wouldn't remake FF7 so long as the original was replayable?

Maybe they never changed their minds.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

It occurs to me that they never wanted to remake FF7 in the first place. Wasn't the old line that they wouldn't remake FF7 so long as the original was replayable?

Maybe they never changed their minds.

I mean Nomura also said that he specifically never wanted to remake FF7 as "It wasn't my project to begin with" He'd always been against doing it whenever he was asked in interviews and the like.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I keep pity for Nomura, since it's clear by now he's been forced into a role he wants nothing to do with, and that's his life now, forever. The old guard have all left, and it's him alone made to manage megaproject after megaproject.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well whatever happens I'm kinda excited for the wild ride ahead. I am not looking forward to the internet FF7 fanatic meltdowns, but I'm definitely really looking forward to playing the game and seeing for myself how this all goes.

And if nothing else it seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

There is going to be a Grand Canyon sized gulf between people who wanted a straight forward but expanded retelling of the original game’s events and people who are curious where this is all going. I can see arguments between the two getting relitigated every day until part 2 comes out.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

I am not looking forward to the internet FF7 fanatic meltdowns

I am. :unsmigghh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Oh my god

https://streamable.com/zk7lsi

Zack Lives?!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There is going to be a Grand Canyon sized gulf between people who wanted a straight forward but expanded retelling of the original game’s events and people who are curious where this is all going. I can see arguments between the two getting relitigated every day until part 2 comes out.

And unfortunately I will not be able to stay out of it as hard as I try

This will be the death of me

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

everyone lives

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Zack Lives?!

What? How does that even make sense? Where did Cloud's Buster Sword come from? Is there a very confused Zack somewhere wandering around in his underwear wondering where his clothes and giant sword are? :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait why does he have the Buster Sword? Didn't Cloud take it? Time fuckery?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What? How does that even make sense? :psyduck:

Harrow posted:

Wait why does he have the Buster Sword? Didn't Cloud take it? Time fuckery?

I don't know! But I am excited to find the gently caress out!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a strong feeling we're entering into "entertainingly bad" territory here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Like... I need to be clear, this isn't me being 'ironic' I genuinely love this twist. Because now I'm genuinely curious... AERITH SEE'S ZACK'S DEATH! WHAT'S THAT MEAN NOW?!

It's strange, in a way, how this perfectly encapsulates the emotional feeling of finishing Midgar in FF7 for the first time. Because at the end of Midgar you're learning that there's this huge world, that the Shinra company isn't the big threat, Sephiroth is, and the entire game has been recontextualized. With this ending, with Aerith imploring the group to help her fight fate, knowing it means that things will go different this time, with Sephiroth apparently maintaining his memories of the original timeline. Everything past this has new contextualization! Everything is completely different than what you thought you'd get, and unlike "Subverted expectations" I'm excited for this!

What I don't understand is why Aerith is trying to change it. Is it really just to prevent her own death? Because in the end everything does work out: Sephiroth and Jenova are defeated, Meteor is stopped, the weapons are stopped, Shinra is basically done, ect.
Maybe it's the other way around and Sephiroth is the one trying to change the future, with Aerith essentially fighting to ensure her own death.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Elentor’s LP of this game is gonna be something else.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Harrow posted:

As for the Rebuild of FFVII theory, if nothing else I think it would actually be cool if each game had a different "Re" name. Remake, Rebirth, Reunion or something like that. And if they do go with this being a "Rebuild" situation, I hope it's subtle plot changes, things that hint at "things are going a little differently this time," and not something that totally upends the entire plot, like Aerith surviving and things like that.

Parking this for what might be the most hellish fallout in DLC history for a game not named Fallout

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Maybe it's the other way around and Sephiroth is the one trying to change the future, with Aerith essentially fighting to ensure her own death.

This was my assumption and makes a lot of sense given the context, though if Aerith is the one asking everyone to "fight fate" then who the hell knows.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Elentor’s LP of this game is gonna be something else.

Does TheDarkId still do Let's Plays? :allears:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Dave posted:

I think at this point the safest bet is Aeris lives but what we won't know is how that will affect the planet surviving.

What I want them to do is Aeris's death scene is a fake-out vision Cloud is having and he is able to push her out of the way at the last minute and take the sword to the stomach, and you have to finish the game out with Aeris as the lead.

I really hate spoiler tags in spoiler threads or used for speculation yet here I am.

Saving THIS one because this is the most probable kind of twist, holy poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

realistically speaking this is probably going to end with everyone who previously died is now alive at the end via resurrection or time fuckery and Holy deciding to not murder the planet

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Isn't all of this just the plot to the Final Fantasy 13 games? Is Cloud going to die and get replaced by time-valkyrie Lightning, and no one will notice until some scene where she needs to get patched up?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I hate you guys but at the same time I'm more excited for this poo poo than ever now

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Lol they could have just not done...this...and had a series that printed money for a decade, and now part 2 will probably sell half as well since newcomers won’t know what the gently caress is going on and ff7 purists will hate it on principal.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna need some context, when does this take place in the game? After the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

would it have been too much to ask for them to have been a little more subtle about it all