Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That requires you to sign into Imgur for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Dave posted:

I think at this point the safest bet is Aeris lives but what we won't know is how that will affect the planet surviving.

What I want them to do is Aeris's death scene is a fake-out vision Cloud is having and he is able to push her out of the way at the last minute and take the sword to the stomach, and you have to finish the game out with Aeris as the lead.

I really hate spoiler tags in spoiler threads or used for speculation yet here I am.

I think the most shocking way to redo the “Aerith dies” thing is if another character dies instead, I guess Tifa? Cloud “dying” would be pointless unless he stays dead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Making the victim Cloud or Tifa instead would ruin Cloud's identity reveal, though.

Nah Tifa could reveal it as she's dying.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Like... I need to be clear, this isn't me being 'ironic' I genuinely love this twist. Because now I'm genuinely curious... AERITH SEE'S ZACK'S DEATH! WHAT'S THAT MEAN NOW?!

It's strange, in a way, how this perfectly encapsulates the emotional feeling of finishing Midgar in FF7 for the first time. Because at the end of Midgar you're learning that there's this huge world, that the Shinra company isn't the big threat, Sephiroth is, and the entire game has been recontextualized. With this ending, with Aerith imploring the group to help her fight fate, knowing it means that things will go different this time, with Sephiroth apparently maintaining his memories of the original timeline. Everything past this has new contextualization! Everything is completely different than what you thought you'd get, and unlike "Subverted expectations" I'm excited for this!

What I don't understand is why Aerith is trying to change it. Is it really just to prevent her own death? Because in the end everything does work out: Sephiroth and Jenova are defeated, Meteor is stopped, the weapons are stopped, Shinra is basically done, ect.
Maybe it's the other way around and Sephiroth is the one trying to change the future, with Aerith essentially fighting to ensure her own death.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok so this is all fun and good but lets talk about the gameplay.

Apparently the superbosses are Deepground Behemoth and Proudclod and they’re exclusive to Hard move(which you can’t choose for the first play through).

Also you can fight the summons in some sort of VR battle mode. They may or may not also be superbosses.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Also I can’t find where I read it but there are 6 summons+ the 3 pre-order/deluxe edition ones.

Leviathan, Shiva, Ifrit, Fat Chocobo, Bahamut, and 1 I don’t remember. The other 3 being Chocobo chick, Cactuar, and Carbuncle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

Choco/Mog

Yeah that’s Fat chocobo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

Most important thing here: They show your equipped weapon during cutscenes! Gonna use the nailbat the whole game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GoGoGadget posted:

Why is everyone suddenly acting like this is poo poo because it's a sequel instead of a 1 to 1 remake? You haven't even played the game (most of you) and are already acting like it killed your mother. Why are so many of you such reactionary morons?

Because some people just wanted a remake of the original game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since the plot seems to go off the rails after they raid Shinra HQ does the part with the blood trail and Sephiroth killing Shinra actually happen in this? If so, how well was it done?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RubberLuffy posted:

X-2's Shinra in X-2 and VII-R

That connection never made any sense and this is even more baffling. I'm gonna just assume this is an easter egg and not actual lore.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Harrow posted:

My guess is we'll see a big online movement to boycott the rest of the remake (and maybe Square-Enix as a whole) with plenty of mad nerds led by the usual YouTube suspects pledging never to buy a Square-Enix game again. Then previews for part 2 will show beautiful open world segments and glimpses of beloved scenes, locations, and characters, really tug on the nostalgia heartstrings, and then most of the people who pledged to boycott will buy it anyway.

"Big online movement"

Gamer boycotts never work. Everyone complaining will buy every part as it comes out, even if they're spamming metacritic with 0 star reviews.

For example

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished the game, I really liked it. The only change I didn’t like was Biggs surviving because it makes no sense. Hopefully that scene was actually in the other timeline.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

stev posted:

If Cloud can survive falling hundreds/thousands of feet because he landed on some flowers Biggs can survive being in a falling pillar. :colbert:

...when he was already on death’s door. And he’s not a supersoldier like Cloud.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the "7 seconds until the end" is totally about Aerith's death right? 7 seconds for Cloud to react and possibly stop it?

Schwartzcough posted:

So here's a new theory! It seems like Sephiroth/Jenova have future-sight, which somewhat gets communicated to Cloud through his mental fits. Aerith also clearly has some idea of what happens in the future, leading her to encourage the party to overcome the will of the planet.

But what if.... it was Sephiroth who gave Aerith the info about the future? Maybe he knew he could never convince Cloud to fight off the Whispers, so he needed someone who could. Remember that scene where Cloud was talking to Aerith, saying:
Cloud: "Have you ever heard of Sephiroth?"
Aerith: "The war hero? The news reports say he died."
Cloud: "Maybe. But I have a feeling he's still alive."
Dramatic zoom in on Aerith's mouth
Aerith: "Oh... right... Anyway, let's go!"

I wonder if they made such a big deal out of that, not just because Aerith had independent future knowledge, but because she specifically had already interacted with Sephiroth. All the other hints she gives about knowing things she shouldn't just come across in dialog or mannerisms, and aren't accompanied by dramatic, ominous camera work.

Just a hypothesis.

I thought that was just because she has visions of the future, if not the whole thing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Sephiroth wants to mess up the timeline why doesn't he just start murdering important people? I guess he still wants to preserve most of the original timeline because he ALMOST won? So he only wants to nudge it a little.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

cock hero flux posted:

he does just offhandedly shank barret in the shinra tower

it's too early to actually stick but the intent is there

Yeah that’s true, I guess the Whispers were keeping him in check. I guess that’s the party’s job now.

So Zack has Jenova cells in him right? I wonder if that will become relevant. Though after Cloud dealt with his issues he was pretty resistant to them so maybe a fully sane person like Zack would be completely immune.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UltraRed posted:

Trying to repeat the chapter's to 100% the game has reminded me of just how many slow parts the game has where you just walk at snail's pace, and how long it takes to skip a cut scene. The thing's 100% saved to disk. Was fidelity to changes in the background really necessary?

Story events that aren’t technically a cutscene so you can’t skip them are the bane of replays/speed running.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gologle posted:

"I miss when my good buddies Genesis and Angeal would group in a circle with me and we would stab each other with our swords :("

-Sephiroth, probably

Just standard locker room behaviour. Boys will be boys.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

They finally high five successfully after the Hell House fight. :unsmith::hf::j:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I noticed something when replaying Chapter 8. Aerith’s “shortcut” through the highway isn’t shorter at all!

stev posted:

If they do end up making and paid DLC for this I bet it'll be Red XIII based. They could make him playable during the sections he's present for and add a bunch of combat challenges for him. Maybe a side chapter too but I don't know when or what that could be.

They could show how he got caught I guess.

I’m not sure there’ll be any DLC though. Wouldn’t that just delay the next part?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

It isn't, but it exists to show Cloud there'll be a way through Sector 5 and 6 in the future when Shinra is poking around Wallmarket.

She just wanted to play with the robot hands.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think my big difference here is, with the single and sole exception of the plot ghosts and the murdering of, every single other change could of been casually slipped into a normal remake. Early sephiroth? Expanded characterization? Extra scenes? The minor avalanche members surviving? All of that and a hundred more things over the course of the next ten parts could be part of what I would consider a 1:1 remake.

There is exactly one plot beat big and important enough to justify, even necessitate putting stupid rear end destiny spirits and alternate timeline nonsense in this game.

Thats right, this time seph and cloud will kiss

If you consume the special drink in Corneo’s colosseum Sephiroth will join you for the Golden Saucer date.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
After looking up the characters from Crisis Core I’m beginning to think a side effect of the SOLDIER program is losing all body hair.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SubponticatePoster posted:

My nuclear-hot take on the plot is that they're not gonna kill Aeris this time around - that was the whole point of getting rid of destiny ghosts. Might give a psych-out (like they did with Biggs) but she'll come back at or before the ending.

Gameplay-wise, is there something you can do with the automated shop in Wall Market? In the OG you could do some stuff to get it to work but I haven't figured anything out for this one.

In the OG you got Tifa’s ultimate weapon there when you return to Midgar. I think in the Remake it’s just an Easter egg.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

aeris did something similar when she calmed down red xiii

my guess is that she's zapping them with a limited knowledge of future events to reassure them that everything will be okay/they can trust her and her allies

i guess red didn't get the bit where cloud kicks a soccer ball at him for twenty consecutive minutes

Yeah Red XIII says he saw a bit of the future when she zapped him. That said I think there might be something going on with Marlene given the ending. Maybe it’ll turn out her mother had a Cetra ancestor or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope Dyne being a Cetra happens because that sideplot was really dumb and needs to be rewritten.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Huge materia there’s something I never understood about them in the OG. Were they just side effects of the Mako reactors or were the reactors specifically built to create them?

Also I wonder how Master materia will work in the Remakes, if they exist at all. Since materia don’t split when maxed anymore and you can’t get multiple of some it’d be a much bigger sacrifice to give up all your maxed materia of a type.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's how it was in the original but there are flowers and grass growing in a lot of places in Sector 6. I guess maybe that is all because of Aerith though.

Aerith says the church is “a special place”. Maybe it’s above a natural Mako deposit. Presumably her house is the same way. Or it could that the presence of an Ancient nurtures life or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wild theory time: When Sephiroth stabbed Barret he was infected with Jenova cells and he'll get mind controlled at a critical moment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I feel like Whisper Harbringer should've been called Whisper Weapon or Fate Weapon or something. It's a giant entity that the planet created to protect itself right? Then isn't it technically a Weapon?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 2, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the final Sephiroth at the edge of creation is just “true” Sephiroth, same as the final 1v1 in the OG. The Unknown Sephiroth at the end of the highway you fight is just manifested directly from the Jenova body instead of through the small amount in a cultist.

vvv Doesn’t seem like this Remake is quite what they came up with way back then, it’s a new iteration. Presumably Genesis would’ve been part of the original Remake but I dunno if he’d be in this one.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

precision posted:

I'm like 99% sure that Sephiroth will join your party at the end of the game and fight the real ultimate enemy, god/time/fate or whatever

I do hope they still do the playable Nibelheim flashback instead of just a cutscene. Fighting ridiculously strong enemies as a level 1 Cloud and having Sephiroth just clown on everything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought Sephiroth told Cloud to run at the beginning because that would change the future, since he was so important to everything that happens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Huh, so they're not omniscient. I guess that's how they messed up with Biggs and Wedge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I felt like the majority of the abilities had some use, even if it was niche sometimes. Except Barret's melee abilities if you're playing him as ranged. And I never really used Lustrous shield, enemies move around too much. But basically all of Cloud and Tifa's abilities were pretty good.

EDIT: My most used abilities are probably the stagger and direct damage ones though. So Focused Thrust, Strike, and Shot and Braver/Infinity's End, Maximum Fury, Divekick, and Ray of Judgement.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 2, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ True Strike is only better when the enemy is staggered I think. Also Divekick has a bit of an AoE.

Yeah I use Feathered Gloves for Tifa for the highest speed(and thus ATB gain). Though I haven't unlocked the last weapon core yet so maybe that'll change things. For Barret I use EKG Cannon because he's my healer when he's in party, but for Cloud and Aerith a lot of their weapons are pretty similar so it's really personal preference.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Just Andi Now posted:

Lustrous Shield is hilarious against The Arsenal. Like 90% of its moves are projectiles, so just keep the shield between you and the boss and you can spam just about anything. It even blocks the Primary Fire attack and can still go for more. It unfortunately does not block the laser pulse attack, though.

I never really found a use for ATB Ward though. I felt like Aerith having ATB was way more important for healing reasons.

Also, I could spam Chi Trap for days. It's so satisfying.

Yeah ATB Ward is weird, not really useful aside from gimmick strategies.

EDIT: Lots of good info about how some abilities/materia work in https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/g5w0wo/been_experimenting_with_the_stats_materia_and/

Some notable stuff:
- ATB Assist has really strict timing so it’s probably useless on anyone except Tifa using Unbridled Strength or True Strike.
- Steelskin is the exact same as Barrier, and they stack with each other.
- True Strike doesn’t do extra damage to staggered enemies, it increases the stagger damage bonus by 30%. True strike x 2, Rise and Fall, Omnistrike, True Strike x 2 seems to be the go-to combo for staggered enemies.
- Punisher Mode heavy attack gives Cloud Berserk which increase damage done and taken by 30%
- Stop on staggered enemies(that aren’t resistant to it) will freeze the stagger timer :stare:
- Know how Barret does a reload animation after an auto attack string? You can cancel that into Triangle for a free Charge.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 2, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh, you can still use your regular Limit break with Refocus equipped. That’s good to know, especially useful with the accessory from beating the Hard VR missions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

With a magic focused build with lots of magic up and high magic attack, spells are tremendously powerful. I think Square realized and figured that one way to balance it out was to make items unusable in hard mode, and no MP recovery on benches.

I recall some goons saying the dog sidequest was really hard the first time they did it, but when I casted blizzaga each on Cloud and Tifa with their magic-oriented builds, it staggered and destroyed it straight away.

Magic Tifa? Now you’re just being silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pollyanna posted:

Like I'm just so goddamn sick of people loving the game up until chapter 18 and then their post-game discussion being like I'm loving pissed, this game ripped me off, I hate this game and I'll raise my children teaching them to curse the name of Nomura. So your previous opinions were lies, then? God, nerds are the worst.

Yeah this bothered me about Mass Effect 3 too. Yeah the ending was poo poo and it’s very disappointing to have the trilogy end like that...but that doesn’t invalidate the previous 30+ hours you enjoyed.