Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So if this is actually a sequel masquerading as a remake, then where/when does it take place? Is this all in Cloud's head? Is he in a coma again? Is this all a dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Luceo posted:

Aerith dies, but Aeris shall live!

Make Cait Sith the Cetra descendant and Aerith the Reeve bot. Then when Aerith dies Aeris shows up a minute later.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

the twist will be that Sephiroth dies

Wait

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Black August posted:

that was part of my letdown, was the lack of "We're chasing the Man In Black, mysterious and monstrous, a being who slaughtered the almighty President, and leaves a trail of bodies like the Midgar Zolom to mark the path of death" and instead it's this feeling of "Well that was a great show, we got one more surprise guest tonight THAT'S RIGHT IT'S THE MAN IN BLACK! HERE HE COMES LET'S LISTEN TO HIM TALK UP THE AUDIENCE! OOOOOOOOO HE'S FLASHING THE BIG BLADE RIGHT IN AERIS' FACE GET A CLOSE UP OF HER REACTION!!!

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5e87a86194e28-here-he-is-here-he-is-here-he-is.php

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get help.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm really hoping this isn't a time loop thing or an alternate universe. I want this to be the exact same universe but with the twist that Jenova and Sephiroth can somehow use the Lifestream to see lots of potential futures and try to work towards the one they want. It's a simple change that explains a lot and doesn't change their motivations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

You guys should post the meltdowns so we can see too lol

Yes please post salt from other forums. I would love to see it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

The impression I get from interviews with Japanese devs is that most of them are functional alcoholics and an alarming number of projects are conceptualized at bars.

I don’t think Yoko Taro has been sober for 20 years.

Neither have I so it's fine

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

oh my god please this would be so incredible

There's literally no reason for them to do that because it's strictly a Western only thing. They couldn't replicate it in Japanese.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

The review thread on /r/Games is in full meltdown mode if anyone wants to gawk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fvvzqy/final_fantasy_vii_remake_review_thread/

Most reviews talk about how things start changing wildly towards the end and people are not taking it well over there.

Everyone please start posting more of this kind of salty poo poo from wherever you see it. This is awesome.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Rufus owns. He shoots his big shotgun handcannon thing behind him to zip around at high speed lol

Rocket jumping in 2020. What a time to be alive.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Dudes are practically organizing petitions to force square to impeach nomura as president of FF7 or some poo poo, lmao

It's the dumbest thing.

Like, I wanted a straight remake too but after reading about what they did I think it's cool and interesting.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Big Scary Owl posted:

At the end of the last FF7 Remake part, called The End of Final Fantasy 7, they'll flash on the screen the countless death threats they got during the years of making the games

I've never played a KH game but a friend told me that in one of them there was a scene where some of the usernames from the KH mobile game flashed across the screen really fast.

It would be cool to do that with salt reddit nerd usernames during the final Omnislash at the very end of the last game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Imagine hunkering down during a global pandemic where the incompetence and malice of numerous world leaders is on track to get countless people killed and the thing you’re maddest about is a questionable narrative decision in a video game.

Nerds are the worst

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
It really annoyed me in the train graveyard that Aerith clearly showed, multiple times, that she can talk to ghosts and understand them and neither Cloud nor Tifa ever took the time to ask "Hey what the gently caress is going on explain this poo poo right now".

Like how do you not do that other than "plot inconvenience"?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lezard_valeth posted:

Also this game basically outright confirms the theory that Marlene is an Ancient on the side of Dyne

I haven't finished the game yet but where did you see this?

Is that why Aerith could see Marlene (or a memory of hers) in the train graveyard?

And is it why, when Aerith and Marlene hug there's a flashback style filter on the screen and that flashback noise but they don't show anything?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Popoto posted:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, that's how I'd describe my final opinion of this Nomura headed 'REMAKE' of FF7.

I was ready to give this game a 10/10 and immediately start up a second, hard-mode playthrough of the game as a victory lap of what was 90% one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had.

23 years ago I wasn't even old enough to appreciate the OG FFVII, though a few years after it's release I did play through it and for myself, and many, many other now 20+ year old gamers, it was etched in my memory as the definitive RPG game and a wonderful, unique story told through arguably the most iconic cast of characters of all time in gaming.

It's 2020, and the so called 'REMAKE' that seemed like a mythical dream we all had that would never be realised, ala Half-Life 3, is finally here.

56 hours in and the game reaches an incredible crescendo of nostalgic boss after boss, massive set pieces that were only polygons interpreted into imagined epic scenes back in 1997, are finally fully realised with glorious graphics and sound.

However, throughout the journey I kept getting a sick feeling in my stomach. These hooded sand-ghosts flying around scenes and influencing the action, I kept trying to interpret this new addition to the narrative, I tried to settle on it just being a device to show the planet trying to direct the heroes on their path, or even Jenova cells deceiving them.

Something just didn't quite sit right though, they looked, and behaved quite like 'Nobodies' in the KH series, a thought which broke the immersion and brought me back to a reality where Tetsuya Nomura was at the helm.

I remember how awful the KH series had become, how much of a let down FFXV was, how convoluted and contrived the plots were, and how cringeworthy the FFVII expanded universe had been (perhaps bar some parts of Crisis Core, though a lot of it was very, very 'anime').

And so, with that sick feeling in my stomach I reached the last few chapter of the game, knowing in the back of my mind that things were about to go off the rails, at least to some extent.

Suffice to say, things were worse than I could have imagined. I don't need to describe the events of the end of this game, but it was truly, truly disappointing, and actually quite saddening, to see what could have been such a celebration and honouring of an all-time classic be corrupted.

After the end credits I found myself quite upset if I'm being honest. It's the same sort of feeling that the final season of GOT gave me, or that feeling when a band you love 'sells out' and starts playing cheap, formulaic pop songs.

There's quite a few thoughts and questions I've been ruminating over, now that I'm starting to digest what's been done in this game.

Why did they call it 'REMAKE' and not advertise it as a completely new story, or even a sequel (I think the events of the game point towards it being more of the latter)? I think I would have not pre-ordered, and would have set my expectations very differently, had this been the case. I suspect money could be the only reason I feel duped as a fan of the original.

Who decided that the story should be drastically changed, and indeed be changed by none other than one of the stinkiest, hack-iest tropes of story telling in time-travel and alternative universes? I suspect Nomura had a big hand in this, given his track record on creating absolute messes of narratives in recent game he's been heavily involved in.

The thought that angers me most is that the original FFVII is a piece of art, it's no longer something should be though of as solely owned by its creators. It's in the hearts of many, many fans, who give the game and story its honoured place as a classic through their fandom and love for it.

The more and more I think about it, I feel like Nomura and co. have little to no respect for the fans that have given their work this love, and perhaps even harbour some contempt for them wanting to see their childhood imagination and memories of the story realised as they deserve to be.

There is a certain arrogance to twisting this world and story to their own whim, as if to say that "this is our world, our characters, what you fans think means nothing to us, we can do what we want with them and you can get f**ked if you disagree".

Perhaps I will come to terms with the fact that there will probably now never be a full and proper remake of this game, keeping the original, impeccable narrative intact, whilst fleshing out the world and characters in a tasteful fashion. The first 90% of this game achieved this goal, just to throw it out in the final hour or so.

Perhaps I'll let it go one day, and try to enjoy the sequel, though I won't hold my breath given how truly awful the new writing at the end of this game was

You were so, so close to perfection, but I suspect egos, pay-checks, and influence are too much a factor at Square-Enix.

Someone please get Fragmaster to record himself reading this out loud. I will pay money. Or donate to charity.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Seedge posted:

Original Midgar is only three hours long if you skip dialogue, cheat through combat and play at 3x speed.

I find it funny how as this thread goes along, every time someone mentions how long it takes to leave Midgar in the original game it's a little faster and now here we are at 4 hours lol. Even Kitase says in his interview that it's closer to 10. Maybe he's talking about someone's very first playthrough with no guides but that seems a little long. It's definitely not 5 hours or shorter unless it's a subsequent playthrough.

Or maybe I'm just the weirdo because I never rush through games, especially on first playthroughs. I love to explore and find hidden items and hidden dialogue and that definitely extends playtime for all my games.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

Jim Sterling is a loving moron fascist-cosplaying idiot and we shouldn't be listening to him at all.

He makes fun of incels and other misogynist manchildren though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

guts and bolts posted:

The best part about FF7R is that it expressly does not replace the original and isn't trying to. If in your dream game the events of the narrative play out exactly as they do in Final Fantasy VII, and you want nothing but the pure, undiluted Final Fantasy VII experience without any of that pesky interference from creatives in 2020 who don't get it, man, then boy do I have some fantastic news for you: right now, on Steam and playable on current-gen consoles, you can play Final Fantasy VII. It seems exactly like what you're looking for!

This argument is so tired and dumb. Some people want that same story but with FF7R's updated graphics and combat and voice acting. This shouldn't be hard to grasp.

I'm personally OK with what they gave us but making GBS threads on people who wanted and/or expected a straight remake is just as pathetic and sad as claiming the writers hate the fans.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Asema posted:

showing a different timeline that the main cast does not interact with is not the same as "punching fate to time travel back"

Yeah I really think the Zack scene was just "this is an example of another possibility now that the arbiters aren't in control anymore" without having a character explicitly say those exact words.

I think Zack is cool and all but I want him to stay dead. If he's suddenly not dead then there's just too much WTF about where the Buster Sword is or how he and Cloud can both have it at the same time.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

If the next romance in a Final Fantasy game is hetero then I'll agree with Xaiter that Square really doesn't know what the fans want.

Why does it matter when everyone just ships whoever they want

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mulva posted:

It's also possible that the twist this time is that Sephiroth is super loving dead and this is just Jenova messing with Cloud to use as her new vector to take over the planet.

Lots of things are possible, we are wiiiiide open to play and nothing is certain.

Sephiroth dies before the start of the original game wth. That's literally one of the big twists. He's been dead this whole time and the Sephiroth you chase through the whole game is just a projection created by a Jenova/Sephiroth merger.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why on earth would you try to make this a culture war proxy.

Extremely online shut-in nerds have nothing else to worry about in their sheltered first world lives and video games comprise their entire identities and as such it's the only thing they can have any kind of conversations about.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so I finished the game last night and I did not kill any whispers. I saw no indication that the whispers had all been defeated and were never coming back and everyone itt keeps insisting that we killed them all off. When and where did this take place? The 3 main party stand-in demon things and the huge demon behind them were not whispers. What am I missing here?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you assess them it tells you they come from the future to protect the timeline that gave rise to them, lol

I did assess them. I was up late so I don't remember all the words there and I will probably go back and replay that section.

Even still, those were only 3 whispers and not all zillion of them. Am I supposed to infer that the huge whisper was all the rest of them put together or something?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

guts and bolts posted:

Except the people reading the Whispers as an antagonistic gently caress-you to the fanbase tend to be the people who feel antagonized by that reading, not people trying to feel superior to purists or whatever, which makes this incredibly frustrating.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Holy gently caress stop being such a condescending shithead. No wonder nobody takes you seriously or reads your walls of text.

And yeah clearly I need to go back and replay that part while not super tired. :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so here's my random bullshit thoughts on the game after finishing it last night.

As for the ending, I don't understand the hate. I personally wanted a 1:1 remake but after spoiling myself on the ending a couple weeks ago I actually thought the changes were cool. I like the idea that they're trying to give us olds a chance to feel those WTF feelings we experienced back in 97. They did a good job. I also like that we have a sense of mystery going forward. Obviously as all of us have said a zillion times, Aerith's fate is up in the air now and what happens to her at the Forgotten City could potentially change the events after that a lot. I still don't think they're going to try to give us a whole new story though. All the big plot moments need to be there for nostalgia, we'll just get there in different ways and have a bunch of side quests to do just like in this game.

My biggest complaint, and this is so very minor but it makes me so mad, is the occasional plot railroading. There are times when the game wants me to walk forward 100 feet to trigger the next cutscene but I don't want to do that and I want to walk around and explore and look for treasure chests and examine the scenery and the game is like NO YOU CANNOT DO THAT YOU MUST ADVANCE THE NARRATIVE. And if that's my biggest complaint then that means the game is pretty drat good overall.

I agree with the people who say that some dungeons overstayed their welcome but it was mostly dungeons in the latter part of the game, not all of them. I also agree that some of the sidequests were absolutely empty filler, but not a majority of them. They at least attempted to flesh out a side character or do a little world building. I'm also glad there weren't too many side quests. In Dragon Quest 11 I expect billions of side quests because that's a game I want to drown in for 200 hours. In this game I did not want to do that. I wanted to have some fun diversions for a while and get some cool rewards and then move on because I mostly just wanted to see the story.

As others have said the combat was awesome and pretty much every boss fight felt unique. Some of them were total loving assholes but I eventually got through all of them. Hell House was the worst for me because I didn't realize you could quit and restart right before the fight and respect all your stuff. All the fights after that were done with quit/respecs and that definitely made them less frustrating.

My biggest praise is for the characterization and voice acting. I was so worried they would gently caress up at least one character and I was worried about Aerith the most. But she was perfect and I was happy.

Wall Market was everything I hoped for and the Honey Bee Inn was over the top but still one of the best parts of the game.

As for the Zack stuff, I didn't realize how much they were going to shove him into the ending. I thought it was going to be one scene as an example of another possible timeline but they just kept going with it which makes me wonder how much they're going to change things in the future games. One interpretation could be that it was just Aerith seeing that as a possible thing that could happen and wishing it were true and then realizing it's not meant to be in their reality.

Fantastic game overall and they really knocked it out of the park. Definitely looking forward to the next game and all the rampant speculation we're going to be doing here until the next game comes out. I don't think I'm going to bother with Hard Mode. Some of the normal bosses were enough of a challenge with me. I don't need to break any controllers. Kudos to people who have already taken the challenge and done all that stuff though :)

Oh and as I said I clearly need to go back and replay the final chapter while not half asleep because I clearly missed some important bits. Those last couple boss fights were pretty easy and fun so that will be an added bonus.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The Hojo beach scene will absolutely be in there but they'll probably cut the beach babes with him.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I'll be kinda disappointed if the final boss is the same as the original. I mean, I do want Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights, but gimme something mooooore

It would be cool if we could fight Jenova and straight up kill her forever and save The Planet and then Advent Children never happens.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I'm old. My first FF was FF1 on the NES when it first came out. I still think it's a good game and one of the best in the series but it isn't my favorite. My favorite is FFT and will take one absolute motherfucker of a game to ever surpass it.

FFT Remake when.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

You know what, if they did this and just kept Aerith's death almost completely unchanged, I would laugh so hard and forgive any problems I have with the game. Just Aerith spill the beans about her death and how/where it happens. The party goes through Temple of the Ancients and everything is fine. Aerith lives. Hell, lets even throw in a Sephiroth fight there. Make that the end of Part 2. Purists will be pissed. Then part 3 starts and everyone is leaving a the temple and there's a Sephiroth clone that shanks her. Boop boop. Aerith dead again.

Basically, I want the party to think they saved her only for her to just die when they're celebrating.

This is similar to what I was thinking. Sephiroth is falling, Cloud shoves Aerith out of the way, Sephiroth knows Cloud is going to do this, and then he ends up stabbing her almost immediately after the player thinks she's safe. Or the falling Sephiroth is a hallucination and the real Seph is standing right where he knows Aerith will be and stabs her.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Someone in one of my Discord channels broke down the Advent Children theory like this -

Yep. It's this. Going back and replaying it, the 3 whispers at the end represent the Remnants. They even use the same attacks and animations as the Remnants in AC do.

So it looks like you're literally defeating the timeline where AC happens. I'm OK with that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

I’m hopeful this time the “humanity ends” scenario becomes canon.

It already is? Kitase even said that in the ending of the original FF7 humanity is extinct. I think that's what Nanaki was referring to when he said that the vision they see is a glimpse of a possible future if the party fails.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

multijoe posted:

Honestly who cares what Kitase has to say decades after the game came out, anything worth saying was already in the game and that's a deliberately ambiguous depiction of Shinra-style industrial capitalism ceasing to be, not a global human extinction event.

Yeah who cares what the guy who's literally in charge of the canon says.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

Cannons, however, are real and can hurt you.

Just ask Sapphire Weapon

Edit: That scene was so dumb too. Like even my stupid college aged self in '97 was like was like "WHY ARE YOU NOT ATTACKING THE CANNON FROM AN ANGLE WHERE IT CANNOT SHOOT YOU DIRECTLY IN TH FACE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU AAAAAAAAAAA"

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 27, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

multijoe posted:

Canon is a fake idea, it is very literally not real

LOL. Stories don't exist. Yep. K. Everyone's headcanon is identical.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So guys this is what I think happened at the end of the game.

*posts My Immortal*

Tell me I'm wrong. Canon doesn't exist. :smug:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Here's my point. JK Rowling is garbage but she's not wrong. She owns and controls the canon, good or bad. She can say Dumbledore is gay or whatever. It doesn't matter if she's an idiot or a TERF or just getting attention. It's her universe. What she says goes. It might be monumentally loving stupid but it's canon.

And like, it's cool to say that's what it is. Dumb, stupid, self-aggrandizing, badly retconned, whatever. All of that is perfectly valid criticism. Make fun of her broken TERF millionaire brain all you want. I love doing that too. But you can't say it's WRONG.

Like if you want to write some fanfic about how humanity is not extinct when Nanaki and his family are hanging out near Midgar 500 years in the future that's fine and cool. I support fanfiction and shipping and whatever. But you, as some random nobody on the internet, do not get to declare, objectively, that Kitase is WRONG for saying that humanity is extinct during that post credits scene. He knows better than you do because he is one of the creators.

I understand Death of the Author but this isn't one of those easily misinterpreted things. Like, they don't have Aerith staring directly into the camera saying "In this scene, humanity is extinct. Thank you for playing." but it's not a stretch to figure it out. Midgar is overgrown. Do you really think it's the only city that's overgrown? Really?

If Kitase makes a clarifying statement about the ending, you don't get to be some random shmo going "lol nah that's not what happens wtf do you know?". Dude is one of the creators. What he says goes. You don't have to like it and I support criticism of it, but it isn't WRONG.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

The party try to kill a shitload of people with bombings. Sorry that Reno and Rude are competent.

No they don't. The intent is not to "try" to kill innocent civilians. Killing Shinra mooks is fine to them because the mooks are complicit in the destruction of The Planet but Avalanche are absolutely not intentionally trying to murder or terrorize the regular citizens. The intent is to stop the resource exploitation and destruction of The Planet. Jessie even intentionally tries to build a weak bomb to minimize damage and casualties.

But they're also all admittedly rank amateurs at all this eco-terrorism stuff so yeah of course they're not going to think everything through and then also they have no idea that Shinra is going to self-sabotage as a means of propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Caidin posted:

I think the time ghosts response to things going even further off course is in fact more time ghosts.

The Planets defense systems are impressive looking but seem kinda dumb and don't work so good in practice?

Not much different than human immune systems