Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

where the gently caress are all my streams

Seems like you can't actually stream the game yet. A streamer I was watching yesterday had their account deleted lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
People spent hours modeling and animating Aerith/Aeris to make her look great and by god she is gonna live this time goddamn it, game dev is very expensive nowadays you know!? :argh:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I think the most shocking way to redo the “Aerith dies” thing is if another character dies instead, I guess Tifa? Cloud “dying” would be pointless unless he stays dead.

Holy poo poo, Tifa dying would be a really big gut punch imo. Ideally though they'd all survive since we're all bothering to change fate. Maybe Aerith could even bring her back to life if that ever happens, or something.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I hate you guys but at the same time I'm more excited for this poo poo than ever now

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

I'm gonna need some context, when does this take place in the game? After the end?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is almost Kojima levels of crazy I love it

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Alright, I was kind of entertained by the ridiculousness at first, but this is a bit much: https://streamable.com/8bsh95

oh wow

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, no one dies from the Plate falling. Everyone is fine and dandy and shows up alive and well in the ending.

can't wait for the CloudXJessie ending, the OTP

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder if this means that saves are gonna transfer over to the next games or if that's just something that won't matter in the long run, like at all

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This is all just an elaborate ploy to erase Genesis' existence

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

THEY DO MENTION THE G PROJECT THOUGH!

gently caress

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72Y7DplcyR8

They even tease Zack at the end of the trailer and shows Sephiroth talking about "defying destiny". They're beginning to show their hand officially now.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Wait...

Square... are these Separate timelines?

I noticed that too cause they zoomed into that way too much so I search for a picture of it that you can find early on in the game. It would explain why Zack is still alive with the Buster Sword

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I actually like all the crazy poo poo that was posted here, it's insanely ballsy. They could've just remade the game with action combat and episodic releases, but even then people would have complained anyway. It was never gonna be the same exact game, and going all Nomura on it makes it a lot more interesting than a 1:1 remake like a lot of people wanted imo. It might end up as just dumb bullshit at the end of it all (much like most of the compilation), but for now I'm down with Nomura's crazy FF7 ride. People are gonna talk about this poo poo for ages.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

If I never played ffvii and wanted to experience the narrative this isn’t gonna be the medium for that huh

This is the weirdest part of this, tbh. People new to FF7 are gonna be very confused.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Sephiroth is going to end up being a good guy

Shall I give you dis pear?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing shall forestall my return...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

HD DAD posted:

So, I think it’s Cloud and company have to remake the events of the original game, in spite of future Sephiroth trying to change the timeline.

If that’s where this is going, then...I’m in?

I think this is most likely it yeah. Although it remains to be seen if they'll succeed in maintaining everything as it used to be.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Onmi posted:

Oh man, there's a loving hilarious moment where Hojo remembers Cloud wasn't a Soldier and says as much, but before he can elaborate and push the issue the Ghosts show up going NO BAD, NOT NOW and carrying him off. It's like... zany!

Wouldn't it be nice if someone just told Sephiroth that Jenova isn't an ancient and he is just being a loving dumbass all the time? Like, he has a real mom and dad too, it's not like having Jenova cells makes her his mom or anything. Maybe he could even kill Hojo himself! I feel like that would solve a lot of things.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

Being told that you are the abomination spawn of a Thing from the Stars is going to mind gently caress you at any age.

I'd be down with that personally. Hojo being my dad however...

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

There was a dude seething on reddit who said nomura was worse than covid-19.

You guys should post the meltdowns so we can see too lol

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Hojo looks slimy as gently caress in this I love it

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

The review thread on /r/Games is in full meltdown mode if anyone wants to gawk:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fvvzqy/final_fantasy_vii_remake_review_thread/

Most reviews talk about how things start changing wildly towards the end and people are not taking it well over there.

There's an interesting comment thread on that link talking about how the original FF7 was the most returned game of all time and people sharing their anecdotes and that was pretty interesting.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the last FF7 Remake part, called The End of Final Fantasy 7, they'll flash on the screen the countless death threats they got during the years of making the games

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It’s gonna be wild when both the non-spoiler threads follow this thread’s trajectory almost point for point when the game officially releases.

:getin:

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wow IGN already uploaded a video about the ending. Gotta get those clicks I guess

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

oscarthewilde posted:

unlike this thread which has maintained a respectful, reverent silence and hasn’t said a single word about the ending

IGN has a lot more reach than this place

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DeathSandwich posted:

Just beat the game, man there was a hell of a gulf between what I was expecting on the onset and what I got by the end. I know it's a remake but it also seems like some sort of time-looped direct sequel too, seeing as how Aerith, Sephiroth, Red, and Cloud (in flashes) are aware of the future and the meta-narrative. I figured out that the Whispers were arbiters of fate right around the time they winged Jessie so that they had to take Cloud and every time they showed up afterward was because everyone was too competent for their own good. I was expecting at that point for the Wispers to be a thing through the series and they become the primary antagonist of game 2, I was *not* expecting destiny itself to be the final boss of this game. I'm really interested to see where they take the story from here because it's basically off-rails now. Apparently Zack is still alive, somewhere, and I'd guess the meta-mystery will be where he's at and why he hasn't shown up. and how Aerith will respond to that because she also seems aware of that fact as well.

If I had to guess the direction we go in the second game Zack pulls himself out of whatever hole he was recovering in, possibly aided by Biggs and Wedge, and starts tracking Cloud and the gang. I'd love to see the three of them teamed up in their own side scenarios just behind the Scooby Gang. Game 2 runs to the City of the Ancients and Zack saves Aerith and gets killed by Sephiroth in her place and then poo poo gets really off the rails.

My take is that Zack is alive in an alternate timeline, since you get to see Stamp during the ending and it's completely different from the dog we see throughout the game. Perhaps this is what Sephiroth really wanted. With Zack alive in an alternate timeline poo poo can really go off the rails this time, maybe resulting in an even bigger tragedy. Kinda like with Chrono Cross and Serge, where the timeline where he lives is the one that gets destroyed by Lavos and the other where he is dead this doesn't happen. Maybe, who knows.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of weird side characters, I wonder if they'll do anything with Cissnei in the next parts of the remake. I don't think she is ever mentioned in anything after Crisis Core.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
It was touched upon here before I believe, but I do think the ghosts you fight at the end of the game are indeed the Advent Children villains, rather than the future versions of Cloud/Tifa/Barret. Just look at how Whisper Rubrum wields his sword: it's on his left hand. Shouldn't the sword be on his right if it were a future Cloud? Kadaj wields his sword with the left hand.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing shall forestall my return...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

Also if you wanted a 1:1 remake of the game you were disappointed before you even booted it up, so I don’t know what you expected.

I've legitimately seen a case where someone already decided to hate the remake before even trying the demo, when that came out