Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Aerith dies, but Aeris shall live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

This is already GotY, not just because it's a great game, but also for producing salty lakes of nerd tears. It's been so entertaining to follow after over two decades of annoying hardcore fans on the internet!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I'm old enough to have played the first game when it came out, and I wonder if that colors my ranking.

1. VI
2. XII
3. X (haven't played the sequel)
4. IV
5. V
6. IX
7. XIII (haven't played the sequels)
8. XV
9. VII
10. I

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

guts and bolts posted:

FF13 above FF7, Great Scott. Either it'd be super interesting hearing your perspective or we'd have a pistols at dawn situation

I absolutely loved XIII's combat, and its linearity was welcomed by me at the time after being fatigued by open world decision-heavy RPGs. I just sat back and enjoyed the hell out of XIII, where VII was just meh for me. Loved the combat and music, but the poor translation made me wonder WTF was going on most of the time, and really didn't let the characters shine like they do in the remake.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

guts and bolts posted:

I sympathize with open world fatigue. As lauded as The Witcher games are, and as much as I can appreciate that they are almost objectively Good Games, I find myself not wanting to touch The Witcher III: Wild Hunt because I was honestly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff to do in The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings. I'd probably really like Witcher 3. I just... fuckin'... can't, right now.

I'm curious though as to how you felt about all the non-battle system elements of FF13. Did you like the characters? The story? The soundtrack? When the game did eventually open up into Gran Pulse, did you dig that?

I'm still the same way about Witcher III. I know it's a great game that I'd probably enjoy, but it's just too. loving. big.

As for the non-battle elements of XIII: I liked the characters except for Hope and Snow, though Hope was at least somewhat tolerable. Sazh is best dad and cool as hell, I mean gently caress he has a chocobo in his afro, that's unbeatable. I was :allears: when Lightning punched Snow. Vanille's forgettable on her own, but really sweet when she's with Fang. The story was weak, but I was still having so much fun playing that I didn't pick at it. When the game opened up, I was fine with it since it wasn't an overload of openness, if that makes sense. The soundtrack was weird for me in that I didn't notice it during the game (except for Can't Catch a Break) but started to really appreciate it after the fact.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Aeris lives, but only if her affection rating is higher than Tifa's. :smith:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

UltraRed posted:

Tifa... dies?!? How far back will I have to reload?

What if you romance Barret

Seph shishkabobs both Tifa and Aeris.

edit: and Yuffie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

If you wanna hit my heartstrings seph's gonna have to kill red

That would unironically have made me sadder than Aeris's death.