Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Going off of reddit it sounds like they did manage to add new stuff to the plot and timing that is not needed and is worse.

Big spoilers from reddit:

Thought 1. I've seen people say Tifa is very cheerful which seems against her character. But I actually think her VAs have a lot to do with that. In English, Tifa seems to sound a lot more cheerful and upbeat, but her Japanese VA is giving Tifa a tone of voice and style of speech/speaking that makes her feel very much the typical Yamato Nadesico or whatever that trope is called. Like the ideal Japanese waifu (except she beats ppl up). And of course in Japanese Aerith seems like typical manic pixie dream girl but that's her character.

In terms of what I don't like I think there's WAY too much foreshadowing in this game. Like they actually loving SHOWED US flashes of Aerith's loving death??? Was that necessary? Like in the original she said she has a materia and it's good for nothing. It was so casual in the original that when you first play it not knowing anything, you don't even think about it again. But this time it's like BUT IT'S THE WHITE MATERIA AERITH IS GOING TO SAVE THE WORLD WITH IT!!!!!111!!!11111 *flash flash flash to her super iconic death scene* For why? Is it necessary for Not-Really Sephiroth to show up once an hour to give Cloud those headaches? Is he contractually obliged? Not to mention the Watchmen of Fate stuff just seems so unnecessary so far, like they're there to point out everytime something ~fateful~ happens and it's like, no poo poo they're the main characters everything they do is part of the storyline therefore fate?

It just reminds me so far of what happens when the creators of some iconic originally thing have to make a prequel or remake or sequel and ending up getting swallowed up in the iconicness of the original and they have to reference it or flanderize it and exaggerate it whereas the beauty of the original was that it was just a well told story. A George Lucas tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean if you read the thing I wrote that isn't a quote yes, yes I did.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think that is specifically what people are considering and are saying the way it is being executed on top of the original story is not graceful.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Screens from Chapter 9:
https://imgur.com/a/NumgSrx

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think at this point the safest bet is Aeris lives but what we won't know is how that will affect the planet surviving.

What I want them to do is Aeris's death scene is a fake-out vision Cloud is having and he is able to push her out of the way at the last minute and take the sword to the stomach, and you have to finish the game out with Aeris as the lead.

I really hate spoiler tags in spoiler threads or used for speculation yet here I am.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

gently caress it, I'm in so fare. I didn't know Sephiroth going all Vader on Cloud was the fan fiction I needed but let's do it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly if they hit all the same locations and similar but different beats I feel like the people who just wanted a straight remake have enough to connect the dots.

There should also be absolutely no surprising that this decision is naturally incredible divisive and the sequel will still sell a trillion dollars.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm also curious about the people saying this won't work for people that haven't played the original game. I think the story isn't anything that's not comprehensible -- you don't need to understand the original plot (which most people don't anyway) to understand fate wants x, x happened in the past, we're going to change that! There's just certain harmless callbacks that they may miss that will be fine.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Frog Act posted:

I guess I could try the PC version but I was really looking forward to finally playing FFVII but with modern graphics

So you've played Remake and you don't enjoy it?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

cock hero flux posted:

Well, like the Zack stuff. Without knowing who he is, it all seems like it would just be either confusing or just totally lacking impact. Who is this guy, why should I care about him, etc.?

There's nothing in the game that will be as impactful on a new player as it is to a fan. There's no harm in introducing Zack as a mysterious figure when you have other games to explain the situation. If that was the last time we see Zack in this series then it was the wrong route to go but there's obviously still a lot of story to tell.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gologle posted:

Thing is, I still think Zack dies. Zack dying is a core part of Cloud's character. It's not only why he has the Buster Sword but also why his psychosis is so hosed up, because he inherited memories from Zack that nobody else understands why he has.

EDIT: I mean, the only other plausible explanation is that Zack just gives him the Buster sword, tells him to pretend really hard to be him, and then fucks off on a time traveling motorcycle for sick time adventures.

Unless this is a different Cloud.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pepperburg posted:

You can call me a purist, whatever. I refunded the game as I was expecting the OG. I enjoyed VII for the nostalgia and the only other SE game I've beaten was X on launch.

The earlier comments in this thread warmed me up to the idea of a big reveal but watching the cutscenes really dampened my opinion. The time travel?, compilation, anime, Kingdom Hearts nonsense stuff hasn't been for me and this just looks like more of the same.

I look forward to the meltdowns though.

Did you enjoy playing the demo?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A Sinister Rap posted:

After seeing all of these spoilers I hope there's a part of a future installment where you play a hosed up version of the original game with the PS1 graphics and such.

I had a similar thought that it would be amazing if somehow there was a reason to have an alternate reality laid out in the original game, even if just for a scene. Not sure how you’d do that in a sensible way.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVII is a very well-told story

Always seemed to me like people don't understand or get confused past "The bad guy is going to destroy the planet, also his mom is a head or something."

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, was the report of nobody dying from the plate crash in the remake false?

This is why it’s hilarious to me that people are going as far as cancelling their preorders based on spoiler telephone before the game was even released.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's their story to tell. They own it. They could have made Sephiroth and Cloud gently caress (and they should have) and you could have hated that but it doesn't mean it's not real or didn't happen or doesn't exist. They get that right by owning the IP.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just got done watching a real-time let's play of the few couple of chapters and I have to say those who feel like the changes are just going to confuse new players are carrying their knowledge baggage with them and it's not different than any game or show that is trying to introduce mystery.

If anything it helps allude to their being a much bigger picture and story outside of Midgar which is a good thing in a game that doesn't leave Midgar.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Huge omission from all these explanations: Cloud and Tifa gently caress outside before the final battle and everyone watches on The Highwind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Part of me wonders if they were just like tired part way through making the remaking, or decided when they had to scrap the original build of the game that doing a pure remake is just not feasible so they came up with the ghost idea so they could make the game more on-rails and exclude certain things from future installments just to get to a complete game quicker.

What I'm saying is maybe they just really don't want to remake the snowboarding minigame.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't see it too well, but how would yo know that's post-plate and not pre-plate?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's okay to ask some questions instead of "just" spending 40 hours to beat the original.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Personally I hope they go back to their roots.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's some charm but the slums are literally all built with trash, has dirt roads or rubble everywhere, and are constructed like shanty towns. As soon as you go up it's quiet, paved roads, cars, a typical developed neighborhood. Not trying to change your mind but poo poo the contrast was pretty drat stark to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Some people really just have no idea what it's like to work in a collaborative environment on a creative team (within a big corporation) and only know to judge a work based on it's output and with binary absolutes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Beefstew posted:

In addition to all the other horrid poo poo that's come from it, the fact that COVID-19 will almost certainly result in Part 2 taking way longer to come out is really disheartening.

It’s either that or covid makes them lean into the “you can’t leave the office! Lolol” of video game development past.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

wishful thinking i think, we saw her die i’m pretty sure.

The whole point is that doesn’t matter now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nothing stops it. Embrace chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

why doesn't it matter now the timeline split after she died?

The timeline split after Zack died too. They put themselves in a place where they can do almost anything to go with whatever narrative they want to. There can be multiple multiple realities shown now, they can interact with each other, or the past could have changed in one timeline and will catch up to the present.

Who knows, it's whatever rules they want to bake into the story now.