Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Iirc the NCAA lost a case in California 300000 years ago which meant they had no choice but to allow personal likeness money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
When ya get to straya go to the servo for a four'n twenny ya dog cunce

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1255499251146203140?s=20

https://twitter.com/FearTheBrown/status/1255500623778324480?s=20

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Didn't it also gently caress up their cap space that off-season as well? This was back when Portland looked like it was gonna be a perenial juggernaut lead by Roy, Aldridge, Oden and a billion highly hyped 1st round picks

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Today on "Remember this guy?"

Wang Zhizhi.

The first ever Chinese player to play in the NBA. Donnie Nelson, Don's son, saw him play at some game in Russia and was all in. Picked him 36th overall in 1999. 7 feet tall, had a decent 3 point shot.

Of course there was some Chinese basketball officials issues. He had to play year round for the Chinese team. He only got to play 10 NBA games his rookie year because the CBA Championship he won ran long. After the NBA playoffs that year, he had to immediately play for China in the East Asian Games, then was still obligated to play in the National Games of China in November. This man was playing basketball non-stop.

He ended up playing 55 games his 2nd season for Dallas, but never made a huge impact. There was also some defection from China rumors and some ugliness there that was a total mess.

Dallas moved on, he signed with the Clippers played 2 games, waived, played some for the Heat after that. Never could find success. The NBA was not ready for a 7 foot player who could shoot but couldn't post up.

He went back to the CBA after that and won another Championship there.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

About a month ago there was some general "how has Covid-19 affected your life" chat and I Just thought I'd update the posters in here who showed some support after I talked about my situation back then. In that post i mentioned how my long planned emigration to Australia in March was totally hosed due to flight cancellations, accomodation cancellation and border restrictions.

Well I applied for an exemption to the Australian travel ban and received one (my partner is Australian so I got defacto family of a citizen exemption status), then booked two more flights which got canceled before finally the fourth one came through - at three times the price of the one we originally booked in November, but hey...

We landed yesterday in Melbourne and I'm currently posting from a hotel room which my partner and I are in mandatory isolation for 14 days - not even allowed to walk in the hotel corridor or open the window. After that we need to figure out how to get to Townsville (2000km/1300 miles away, Australia is big) as most domestic flights are cancelled. There we will stay with my partner's parents until we can come back to Melbourne permenantly when hopefully everything is back to somewhat normal. Soon I will be applying for my residency Visa, which back in January seemed daunting but after all of this feels like a walk in the park.

Get yo'self a fat dob and get out to dark skies because the southern hemisphere has a poo poo load of great objects to view. Omega Centauri, Eta Carinae, 47 Tucanae, the lesser and greater Magellanic Clouds. Dark skies are one of Straya's great resources!

Get used to losing to the All Blacks, but love Rugby Union anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this owns

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I did NOT remember Wang Zhizhi. Good writeup.

---

Right now the Lakers would be getting ready to lose in the second round to the Jazz to set up the Anthony Davis Leave.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1255572825173372928?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I vaguely recalled Wang Zhizhi but with that awesome writeup I looked him up and dude shot 41% from 3 letting it fly pretty freely in 02!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I felt bad seeing that mugshot for not remembering Miles played for the Bobcats, but I guess he never actually suited up for them. Feel Bad rescinded

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The email was a bad look for Portland but they were put in a tough spot because of a dumb rule.

You could probably get 10 games out of Brandon Roy or Andrew Bynum right now. Doesn't mean they didn't have career ending injuries.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't it also gently caress up their cap space that off-season as well? This was back when Portland looked like it was gonna be a perenial juggernaut lead by Roy, Aldridge, Oden and a billion highly hyped 1st round picks

I presume that is why they threatened to sue the other NBA teams for signing him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm glad they got owned

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
hey guys i had a fever dream where brandon roy was the projected starting SG of the timberwolves

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The email was a bad look for Portland but they were put in a tough spot because of a dumb rule.

You could probably get 10 games out of Brandon Roy or Andrew Bynum right now. Doesn't mean they didn't have career ending injuries.

He played 34 games for Memphis, they didn't exactly just abuse the 10 day contract system to screw Portland.

On the flip side, Portland was also pushing out a guy so they could free up cap space and then threatened legal action in order to block his gainful employment. Portland can go gently caress themselves.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Thanks guys, I have been to Oz before so am well acquainted with the drop bears, magpies and racism.

Metapod posted:

Did you get your stuff/will you get your stuff

We rerouted it a friend's mum in the Melbourne suburbs, who has very kindly agreed to store it in her garage. It'll sit there until we move to Melbourne permenantly, we won't be able to take any of it up to Townsville with us (cost, practically), so another three months of living out of a suitcase!

Y'know, turns out you actually need far less clothes than you think you actually do.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kibner posted:

They might just have him handle the GM day-to-day things like booking hotels, flights, making sure meals are ready, etc. while either they train someone in those duties under him (because connections and such are probably a good thing for this) or find someone else to take over in their own style.

Yep its a transition contract. People forget how boring GM jobs are outside of trades and the draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

Iirc the NCAA lost a case in California 300000 years ago which meant they had no choice but to allow personal likeness money

The O'Bannon case? That ultimately only forced them to include cost of attendance in scholarships as compensation, it didn't grant athletes the ability to profit off their NIL (it also separately ruled that companies like EA couldn't use athletes NIL without compensating them, which is why the NCAA sports games died)

California did pass a bill recently the required in state schools to grant athletes NIL rights starting in I think 29
2022 and a bunch of other states have since passed similar ones or have similar ones on the docket. The NCAA has made noise about challenging it (or barring California schools from NCAA competition but lol) but ultimately seem to have decided to just pass their own rule to deal with it instead, which I'm sure will be the worst possible version of it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

WhyteRyce posted:

He played 34 games for Memphis, they didn't exactly just abuse the 10 day contract system to screw Portland.

On the flip side, Portland was also pushing out a guy so they could free up cap space and then threatened legal action in order to block his gainful employment. Portland can go gently caress themselves.

After 2 seasons of not playing an independent doctor said he was done. And he got the full $9m from his deal that season plus $9m the following season that he didn't play.

He also played 300 total minutes that season. In comparison fellow Grizzly Small Forward 32 year old Greg Buckner played almost 900 minutes. So yes I think loving over Portland was at least a small part of why Memphis signed him. At least it would've been if I were a GM.

The rule doesn't really align with the reality that lots of players suffer career ending injuries but could play 10 minutes a game if they don't mind damaging their body.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Miles also didn't play because Portland wanted nothing to do with him because he was an absolute rear end in a top hat in the locker room. Even if he was 100% healthy they would have told him to keep his rear end at home anyway, health concerns were just the opportunity Portland saw to get out of a $18M headache and shouldn't act indignant that their scheme fell apart and especially shouldn't act like they gave two shits about his long term health.

The Kings did the same thing with Luc Mbah a Moute and he ended up having a nice career afterward. The Nets backed out of a deal with Shareef because they thought he had arthritic knees and even though he ultimately retired due to them, he still had plenty of basketball in him. If some other team deems a player medically ok to play and the player understands the risks and realities of the situation, he should be allowed to make that decision for himself regardless if it messes up Portland's dreams of signing LeBron

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 29, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

CRISPYBABY posted:

hey guys i had a fever dream where brandon roy was the projected starting SG of the timberwolves

He was really good for like 2 pre-season games and then you could just watch his body fall apart minute by minute, it was really sad.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

incredible tweet

they deleted and remade it:

https://twitter.com/HollywoodLife/status/1255619219292598275?s=20

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I prefer the original.

EDIT: Also welcome to Australia tanglewood, congrats on upgrading your country.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Oh no. Booker really should stay away but I know he can’t 😔

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

this BayWa team is stacked, they have paul zipser and greg monroe!
https://fcb-basketball.de/en/teams/bundesliga/fc-bayern-muenchen

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Any team with slightly more than average foot bones is bound to dominate

e: a heretofore unknown dark turn in zipser's life

quote:

During EuroBasket 2015, Zipser raised controversy by refusing to sign an autograph for Vuk Ivanović, a boy of Serbian descent who was wearing a Serbian jersey, who claimed he wants to sell the autograph later.[20] However, Zipser gave an autographed game-worn jersey and shorts to Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church for a special raffle at 2018 SerbFest in Merrillville, Indiana.[21]

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Metapod posted:

I'm glad they got owned

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

I like how the corrected tweet shows how they photoshopped Kendall Jenner in the first pic

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I thought the joke was that Trevor Booker got confused with Devin Booker, but it turns out that that's actually Devin "Trevor Booker's Shittier Brother" Booker, who is a person that apparently exists.

Which I guess makes the mixup make slightly more sense.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1255631399446409217

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Hollow out epcot and place an elevated court on the inside

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Put courts in blimps and just have the games float over cities.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Crazy Ted posted:

Put courts in blimps and just have the games float over cities.

if you win, you get to come down from the blimp

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Can they not just upload player consciousness to Sportsview and broadcast that?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Lopez brothers must be ecstatic.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

what's it like being a Boston fan and watching the Sacramento and Memphis picks dissolve into middling first-rounders?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The Lopez brothers must be ecstatic.

https://twitter.com/rolopez42/status/1255641123768369152?s=20

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Katana_Warrior posted:

what's it like being a Boston fan and watching the Sacramento and Memphis picks dissolve into middling first-rounders?

Ask a Chicago fan since their Kings first pick ended being a second rounder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

I like how the corrected tweet shows how they photoshopped Kendall Jenner in the first pic

they spent 10 minutes photoshopping kendall jenner for no reason and then spent 0 minutes actually finding a picture of devin booker