Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mordja posted:

That's no small feat, considering some of the mods have more missions than the originals. Have you played those campaigns or are you going in fresh? Or are you just planning on dabbling?

As with anything in the main line of games, going in completely fresh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As for slower or clunkier stuff. :shrug: Haven't really noticed anything off-hand.

I'm just not sure if technical stuff like that counts as spoilers, so I wouldn't go into details until we're at YR.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

If we're talking additional content, will you be covering the co-op missions in Yuri's Revenge? I was blown away when I saw that was a thing.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I hope you're only doing some of the better mods out there, because there are some -really- bad ones. Stuff like "your only available unit is paratroopers", or "95% of the map is land mines" turned me off custom missions right quick.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

If we're talking additional content, will you be covering the co-op missions in Yuri's Revenge? I was blown away when I saw that was a thing.

There's a WHAT??

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

THE BAR posted:

There's a WHAT??

Don't build yourself up too much, it's not a full camaign with voice acted cutscenes or anything. Each faction gets I think three missions where it's co-op players vs AI. You do get a little mission objectives/plot dump screen but it's just a glorified skirmish mission.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Don't build yourself up too much, it's not a full camaign with voice acted cutscenes or anything. Each faction gets I think three missions where it's co-op players vs AI. You do get a little mission objectives/plot dump screen but it's just a glorified skirmish mission.

I wasn't expecting cutscenes, but getting to play comp stomp levels built for that purpose sounds right up my brother and I's alley.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Finally, a C&C campaign with an unambiguously happy ending!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Just wanted to mention that Freedom Fighters, the third-person squad-based shooter developed by IO Interactive and published by EA all the way back in 2003 is finally available on Steam and GOG. Aside from being a game about fighting the Soviet occupation in NYC, two very familiar voices from Red Alert 2 appear as Soviet characters.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347780/Freedom_Fighters

https://www.gog.com/game/freedom_fighters

Absolute banger of a Jesper Kyd soundtrack too!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yuri's Revenge

Allied X01: Operation: Time Lapse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JosIFjMgFg
Operation: Time Lapse

We're at DEFCON 2! Report the the briefing room immediately!

Pretty good representation for a map, for Red Alert 2.

Objective: Destroy the Psychic Dominator on Alcatraz!

Briefing: It's only a matter of time before Yuri brings the Psychic Dominator on Alcatraz back online. Our only chance is to use Professor Einstein's Time Machine to send us back in time and stop Yuri before he can complete his worldwide network of Psychic Dominators.

Author's note: A nice intro mission with a fake time limit and enough hidden failsafes to prevent an untimely loss.

Name: President Dugan
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Ray Wise

President of the United States of America. Helped install Premier Romanov in Soviet Russia. Defected to the Reds. Rehabilitated after the destruction of the Psychic Beacon in Washington D.C. Is willing to authorize lethal force in urban areas... provided you don't harm any of his constituents. Managed to evade capture and escaped to Canada. Tried to bargain with Yuri in order to stop him from taking over the world.

Name: Lt. Eva
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Name: Yuri
Affiliation: Soviet
Voiced/Played by: Udo Kier

Aide/Confidant to the Premier of the Soviet Union. May not be on the up-and-up, dislikes Gen. Vladimir. Knows the meaning of "Soviet Irony." Do not tr~urk! Glorious Yuri is friend to all! Personal friend of Iosef Stalin. Traitor to the Motherland! Survived the war and has developed mind control devices that can control the minds of citizens over entire continents.

Various Other Actors

It's hard to find who is who when a lot of the names are mixed in together and I'm unsure if any will return in future videos, so here is a list of names of actors that are or may be in this video.

Robert Garretson,
Spike Measer,
Al Conahan,
Eugene Harris,
Matt Mooney,
Peter Conklin,
Rosie Heeter
Dave Crockett,
Robert Eustice.
Bruce Mastracchio,
Sylvester Smith
Michael Pfleegor

Guardian G.I.
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: M60 and Missile Launcher
COST: 400

Like a normal GI, the Guardian GI fires a powerful machine gun from a standing position. When deployed, the Guardian GI can not be crushed and switches to a powerful anti-tank weapon that is effective against vehicles and aircraft. Guardian GIs cannot be used to garrison structures.

Author's Note: Filling in the anti-tank needs for the standard Allied arsenal. Their major downside is not being able to garrison buildings, which is fair, and leaves them open for mind control.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your quick thinking caught both the Soviets and Yuri off guard. The Soviet invasion of San Francisco has been thwarted, and Yuri's plans have been thrown into disarray. Well done, Commander."

Slower than Par Time: "Though we have thwarted both the plans of the Soviets and Yuri, the population of San Francisco suffered terrible losses."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 30, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The TIME WARP in the middle of the mission is honestly pretty rad. I'm surprised they made the engine do it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The Red Alert, and maybe the whole C&C franchise, high point in my opinion. That there's no Yuri faction campaign is such a shame though.

One very noticeable thing the expansion did was to give all units unique voices so every tank unit doesn't sound the same for example. The Apocalypse Tank one rules.

Since you didn't talk about the Yuri tank, I think it's just a re-skin of the allied Grizzly?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Laughing Zealot posted:

The Red Alert, and maybe the whole C&C franchise, high point in my opinion. That there's no Yuri faction campaign is such a shame though.

One very noticeable thing the expansion did was to give all units unique voices so every tank unit doesn't sound the same for example. The Apocalypse Tank one rules.

Since you didn't talk about the Yuri tank, I think it's just a re-skin of the allied Grizzly?

I haven't looked at the all the stats, but it could be. The Lasher tank is billed as very weak, but we'll see more of it as the campaign goes on.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I haven't looked at the all the stats, but it could be. The Lasher tank is billed as very weak, but we'll see more of it as the campaign goes on.

Yeah. I can confirm it's a complete clone with the exact same stats. Well, it's slightly stronger than the vanilla RA2 grizzly but that's because YR buffed them.

Echo the lament that we don't have a Yuri faction campaign. He has some really fun units but you'll only get to use them in skirmish. Might've been fun to make his campaign a prequel or something (but then that spoils what he has for the Allied and Soviet campaigns so I get why they didn't.)

And the unique voices were such an upgrade. I especially love how there's a mix of accents in the allies now (which will become more apparent as we get our hands on their full arsenal.)

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

God I love that intro so much. Where you really have to watch out for initiates is when they're in buildings. Their attack strength goes from 25 to 63 and they lose what little range disadvantage they normally have.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man I love Udo Kier.

I don't know about this FPS Command & Conquer spin-off though, doesn't sound like it'll work.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Didn't Einstein already develop a time machine?

e: Although I guess the last one couldn't send people very reliably.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

yeah that Einstein wasn't a fat jolly cartoon though. whatever happened as a result of erasing Hitler also erased the original time machine and turned Einstein into Science Santa.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Surviving a nuclear explosion - that's just so Tanya.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Yeah, see, here's the thing I can't help but feel is different in YR. At 9:55, your grizzlies shoot, but don't stop moving until they're a tile further than the one they shot from. In RA2 they would immediately stop and fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmFdqBfM70&t=263s

Like at 4:23 in this one. It's such a jarring feeling every time I play YR. Am I crazy?

That said, YR is still a great expansion. It has some neat missions and new gimmicks, although the music isn't up to par with the base game's more rock n' roll cold war atmosphere. There's like three tracks I really love in YR, the rest are sort of just there.

E:

Oh wow, this video made me realise I've never bought a carrier in YR before, that voice is completely new to me.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 23, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yesss, RA2:YR, such an amazing expansion, tied with Firestorm for my favorite out of the entire series. Right off the bat, you know you are in for a good time when Dugan tries the old "charm". Great 1st mission too, its a nice introduction to the basic's of fighting Yuri's army and getting the Guardian G.I. to play around with is nice. Its a solid unit that is a nice and cheap counter to basic tanks, double so Yuri's which as stated are pretty much a reskin of the Grizzly. The Initiates aren't much to write home about either, thanks to their short range, but yeah, don't let em garrison, or watch your army melt. Anyway, its a nice touch that you have some Mirage Tanks, they just destroy Initiates with ease and make clearing a path to the Tech Power Plants pretty easy. Fun thing though, if you park a ton of deployed Guardian G.I.s right in front of the Golden Gate Bridge, when you warp back in time (super neat effect btw), they can actually save the bridge and destroy the Apoc. Tanks and then the Kirov incredibly quickly. Also, as a final failsafe, if you somehow get every Aircraft Carrier sunk, 6 more will just spawn in, so it is flat out impossible to render the mission unwinnable.

Oh, and the one small thing I dislike about YR, its that you lose access to the RA2 soundtrack, which is flat out replaced by the songs of YR. Its a good enough soundtrack, but not being able to hear Hell March 2 on demand always made me kinda sad.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That little gizmo that Einstein uses as a remote in the cutscene? That's the toy version of the com link that Qui Gon-Jin uses in the Phantom Menance. I know cause I had one as a kid, I think it was like amiibos in that it interacted via NFC with certain action figures?

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 23, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I only remember two or three missions from YR and those were a blast. I'll looking forward to seeing them again

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Man I love Udo Kier.

I don't know about this FPS Command & Conquer spin-off though, doesn't sound like it'll work.

I think there was also a teaser for a new Dune 3d strategy game on the disc. It looked cool back in the day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Laughing Zealot posted:

I think there was also a teaser for a new Dune 3d strategy game on the disc. It looked cool back in the day.

That was in RA2

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That little gizmo that Einstein uses as a remote in the cutscene? That's the toy version of the com link that Qui Gon-Jin uses in the Phantom Menance. I know cause I had one as a kid, I think it was like amiibos in that it interacted via NFC with certain action figures?

That owns

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really didn't remember the President being such a twit. But hey, we're approaching something that is pretty close to peak CnC. Really makes me wish EA remade TS and RA2 instead of the original ones.

e: CnC FPS? No way that's ever going to work. Especially not in multiplayer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I really didn't remember the President being such a twit. But hey, we're approaching something that is pretty close to peak CnC. Really makes me wish EA remade TS and RA2 instead of the original ones.

e: CnC FPS? No way that's ever going to work. Especially not in multiplayer.

Dugan looks and acts calm only as long as the Commander is winning the war for him.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Really makes me wish EA remade TS and RA2 instead of the original ones.

I refuse to believe that at least a RA2 remaster isn't in the cards. Especially with how well the C&C/RA1 remaster has been received.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
C&C Remastered has likely sold over a million copies and can't have been very expensive to make, so I'd say a generation 2 remaster collection must be a given. Right, EA? Right?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mordja posted:

C&C Remastered has likely sold over a million copies and can't have been very expensive to make, so I'd say a generation 2 remaster collection must be a given. Right, EA? Right?
hopefully

gacha smartphone games don't exist yet in the lp timeline, at least!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

That there's no Yuri faction campaign is such a shame though.

Considering the starting premise of the expansion, it would have been a pretty short campaign. "The Allies are attempting to go back in time and stop us. Make sure they don't do that." THE END!

A fun fact about this mission: The northernmost grand cannon can reach the nuclear power plant, which means it is possible to destroy it before travelling back in time - if you give the attack order the moment you get enough power you'll destroy it right before the spawned engineer can repair it (this is why the timer starts counting down right before the time shift).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They could've also set the Yuri campaign in the past.

Play as his secret building up while the original war is still going.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Mokinokaro posted:

They could've also set the Yuri campaign in the past.

Play as his secret building up while the original war is still going.

Buddy recommended a mod (Mental Omega) that has a yuri campaign that's pretty much that. Remember Fox and the Hound, that mission that gives you 3 psi-corps troopers and tells you to mind control the president? It's like a whole campaign of that. I'm liking it so far but man it's hard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Buddy recommended a mod (Mental Omega) that has a yuri campaign that's pretty much that. Remember Fox and the Hound, that mission that gives you 3 psi-corps troopers and tells you to mind control the president? It's like a whole campaign of that. I'm liking it so far but man it's hard.
Is it finished? I played it years ago but there were very few campaign maps.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

anilEhilated posted:

Is it finished? I played it years ago but there were very few campaign maps.

each faction has one whole campaign (seems roughly analogous to RA2's) and one mostly-finished campaign without the final 2 missions.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I just started playing it myself and it really suffers from the typical mod problem of being way too hard because it was made by people who can casually break the base game in half. I'm also not a huge fan of the art or writing so far, it just feels too serious for RA2.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Mental Omega mod is killed by its team's dubious politics. They had a cringetastic "as the Americans, defend the Mexican border against parties of troops led across the border by illegal immigrant spies" mission that was finally excised in the 3.3 update. The Allied campaign is grimdark bollocks and it's clear the designers would really rather have dropped the faction entirely in favour of their shiny new super-powerful Mary Sues faction they added in.

There's some lovely level design and unit concepts in Mental Omega but every time I play the campaign, I find myself needing a bath afterwards to get the ickiness off. RA2 and YR work because they are goofy and so over the top you just start laughing. Mental Omega tries to be gritty and serious and manages to be firmly fascist in the bargain.

Also it removes the Apocalypse Tank from the Soviet arsenal for not being serious enough. That should tell you all you need to know.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm not gonna go hog wild on anti-spoiler messagery since mods aren't official releases, but could people please at least tag mod spoilers for something like Mental Omega? I haven't played it, and its in the lineup.

Much appreciated and thanks for the continued support :)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Loxbourne posted:

Also it removes the Apocalypse Tank from the Soviet arsenal for not being serious enough.

:fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Loxbourne posted:

Also it removes the Apocalypse Tank from the Soviet arsenal for not being serious enough. That should tell you all you need to know.

Isn't the Catastrophe Tank the stand-in for the Apocalypse, just locked to the Latin Confederation?