Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Update on previous page!

The separate tabs for buildings, defenses, infantry and vehicles are so nice. They're hotkeyed to QWER, and if you've got a finished building or defense ready to deploy, pressing Q or W will pull it out as well as switching tabs, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Yay, up to my favourite C&C. The game still holds up pretty well.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mokinokaro posted:

One of the best things in RA2 is the greater focus on naval action.

It's just a wrinkle that the Tiberian series never really engaged with.

Deliberately, by all accounts. During the pre-release hype cycle for Tiberian Sun several interviewers asked Westwood why they'd switched from naval units to GDI hovercraft. They said it didn't fit the tone of the Tiberium setting and the devs felt large bodies of water just became chores to cross.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have to assume "didn't fit the tone" meant "would make the maps more than one colour".

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
For what it's worth, garrisoning structures was supposed to be in Tiberian Sun but the devs ran out of time. The RA2 devs finished the game logic and got it working.

I've always been very thankful the buildings auto-evacuate when they get into the red. It's a small QOL improvement to prevent a player from losing dozens of troops before they can scroll the screen over to an "under attack" message.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dabir posted:

I have to assume "didn't fit the tone" meant "would make the maps more than one colour".

Also, Tiberium is a thing that grows and acts on land, not in water. Or at least nothing has ever been shown with that. Keeping the combat on land keeps the amount of tiberium interactions higher.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Mutant tiberium whales.......

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Mutant tiberium whales.......
Yeah, it's a real shame we don't get to see any Tiberium-mutated aquatic lifeforms. Hell, it'd be enough to just supersize them - it's not like the underwater fauna isn't freaky enough on its own.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 3, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

keseph posted:

What are you talking? Absolutely nothing has changed about Engineers and there certainly aren't any additional interactions with units we haven't seen yet. That's fake news!

The neutral buildings note here is worth reiterating. There were a couple of instances of capturing "tech" buildings like the hospital before, but part of this game's charm is how packed the maps are going to be and things like the tech buildings are used more than as a one-mission gimmick. In the first Allied mission, we already see how they're willing to make the urban environments extremely dense although this time most of the garrison buildings were already red*; it gives you the option of spending a few engineers to create an impromptu fortification well outside your building area. TibSun had a couple of "city" environments but they never came close to what is seen in the opening level here. There's a narrative argument to be made that TibSun's timeline is well after all major cities (as we know them) have been abandoned, but there could have been a mission set in the smoldering remnants of one.

Part of me is a little sad that the Soviet campaign is coming second because it has such wonderfully cheesy, stupid :what: set pieces. But that means any newbies to the universe will have that much more to anticipate!

Also seconding the comment about integrating the Naval combat. It was lot of fun in RA1 as the Allies to bring your Cruisers to bear in a cross-domain attack (and the Soviet Missile Subs in the expansion), but the actual ship-to-ship combat wasn't particularly fulfilling. They do a much better job of fleshing it out here. You wouldn't really know it without having played it first-hand, but transports in RA1 were pretty drat janky, but now you have units like Tanya who seamlessly transition.

There's also a sort of subtle thing right at the opening as the cruise missiles are firing on the statue: [some of] the cruise missiles are being shot down by other (Patriot) missiles and it's not just a map script, interactable projectiles are A Thing in this game.

* The tutorial did mention that garrisoned units automatically evacuate at "critical damage" to the building. To clarify that, it isn't when the building is destroyed, it's when the building hits red (30%?) damage and anything already in the red cannot be garrisoned.

You know, I swear I do a once over for these things...

As for tech buildings we will see them soon enough, and we've kinda had them show up multiple times in previous games so screw it, haha.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame we don't get to see any Tiberium-mutated aquatic lifeforms. Hell, it'd be enough to just supersize them - it's not like the underwater fauna isn't freaky enough on its own.

What about the floater?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

And the game opens right up with Soviet ships bombing the statue of liberty. This is it folks, peak C&C!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What about the floater?
Always thought it was a tree thing but I guess it could be seen as a jellyfish?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna try and head this one off at the pass early because we'll see more, uh... true to life stuff as we move further.

This was part of the box art pre-9/11.

*Edit: Holy gently caress I just noticed that it was going to save PC gaming, 11 years before Star Citizen*

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*Edit: Holy gently caress I just noticed that it was going to save PC gaming, 11 years before Star Citizen*

Thank you RA2 for your service :patriot:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was going to mention the box art thing.

This game had the luckiest timing in a way as I bet it would've been shelved if it had been releasing AFTER 9/11.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wasn't award that just as better and better graphics cards were getting into popular adoption and the internet was opening up new avenues for entertainment PC gaming was at risk.
I should probably thank Westwood somehow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think someone commented on my video instead of here regarding the end-mission debrief text. I, for the life of me, can't find where they are in the .ini files in order to rip them out so I'm using some wikis. They should be correct, but I take no responsibility for any errors they may have.

Mission 1 Debrief posted:

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your lightning counterattack blunted the Soviet invasion."

Slower than Par Time: "You barely succeeded in holding back the Soviet advance."

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There are two missions I remember where you can absolutely obliterate par time (I'll mention when we get there) and it's a real shame there isn't a special message for something like beating the map in 5 minutes when the par is 60

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

By popular demand posted:

I wasn't award that just as better and better graphics cards were getting into popular adoption and the internet was opening up new avenues for entertainment PC gaming was at risk.
I should probably thank Westwood somehow.

RA2 released in the same week as the PS2 was released in the US. The N64 was 3 years in and both it and the PSX were juggernauts that exploded the home console market. I don't specifically know that home PC gaming was actually "down" in any major way but public visibility was entirely on the console scene.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also ad copy is all about cherry picking random rear end statements which sound good, not rigorously tested to have any relevance whatsoever. I got quoted in an ad put in PC Gamer back in the day because I emailed the devs some feedback about the demo and, because this was 20 years ago, was a little hyper about it. Imagine my surprise when a friend who read the magazine recognized the name and said 'is this you?' and that's how I found out I was quoted in an ad :v:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

you got quoted in PC Gamer? that owns

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

A little late to the party, but jumping on the "willing to die on the hill of Red Alert 2 is the best C&C game" train. Great graphics, hammy videos, fun units, fast play, and HOLY poo poo THAT'S UDO KIER I NEVER REALIZED THAT

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think the faster pace is the reason I don't like it as much as Tiberian Sun - well that and just liking the Tiberium setting better than the Allies-Soviets one. I've never been a fan of high-APM games, and I think strategy games were generally better before than became in vogue. It made things more tactical and less strategic, which was not IMO an improvement.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Strategic Sage posted:

I think the faster pace is the reason I don't like it as much as Tiberian Sun - well that and just liking the Tiberium setting better than the Allies-Soviets one. I've never been a fan of high-APM games, and I think strategy games were generally better before than became in vogue. It made things more tactical and less strategic, which was not IMO an improvement.

RA2 is a favourite of mine because it's in my sweet spot of APM. I can't handle the rapid fire clicking/memorized build orders of blizzard RTS but I remember playing Tiberium after RA2 and thinking it was too slow. It was the first RTS to break me of the "build pretty bases" habit when I started doing a bit of multiplayer.

Turns out everyone waiting until we have meticulous bases before attacking just results in boring meat grinders.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Building pretty bases is an integral part of CnC singleplayer, though.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I think there's always going to be that SP - MP divide. I've just never liked the whole multiplayer thing in general at all, so the parts of the game that appeal to that audience are always going to be totally lost on me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Strategic Sage posted:

I think there's always going to be that SP - MP divide. I've just never liked the whole multiplayer thing in general at all, so the parts of the game that appeal to that audience are always going to be totally lost on me.

Yeah, but even then this game has a couple of missions where my urge to build pretty bases and walk a multinational army into the enemies main base is defeated by the amusement of smashing the enemy comically faster than intended.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Red Alert 2 was the first Command and Conquer game I ever personally played. It's also unsurprisingly my second favourite, the camp and the "super science" are both wonderful and the entire thing just feels beautifully cared for as far as the art and cinema involved.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh Red Alert 2, pretty much in a direct tie with TS for my fav C&C game. Just everything about it, as others have mentioned, is just amazing. The hammyness of the cutscenes is not too over the top, and there is still some lighter seriousness mixed in to create a almost perfect balance between the two.

Anyway, I really like how the Training "Campaign" immediately leads into the main Allied campaign once you beat it, and while pretty basic, it does a nice job of teaching you some of the new/improved things in the game. Also, there is some... interesting extra stuff hidden away on the training maps that seem to be there just for fun.

And yeah, what a way to kick off the first mission. A nice touch is that most of the V-missile trucks are not actually aiming at any buildings, so it gives a nice illusion of them bombarding the city. Also didn't know about those "hidden" Allied Tanks north of the base for years, love how much stuff is hidden around on the maps. The Par Time is also another neat little self-challenge bonus, although I do miss the whole direct comparison of your kills/losses vs the enemy though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Grinder is such a great track. I've always had the hardest time deciding on my favourite C&C soundtrack.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Grinder is such a great track. I've always had the hardest time deciding on my favourite C&C soundtrack.
I haven't. It's, without a doubt, RA2.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I haven't. It's, without a doubt, RA2.

But C&C1's is just so.. Raw and rocking, uniquely so for an RTS. And TS' has some real bangers, too. RA1's is great, but the sheer volume means not everything is a classic... Then again, Hell March carries a lot of weight. A lot.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

No, I hear you, all the C&C soundtracks we've heard so far are absolutely loving rad.

But Grinder and Hell March 2 are both among my favourite videogame tracks ever. They're up there with BFG Division and the Deus Ex main theme.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And then there's In Deep.

What an installation menu. :allears:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

The RA2 installer music alone is better than most RTS's entire soundtracks. :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

THE BAR posted:

Then again, Hell March carries a lot of weight. A lot.

OG hell march was stunningly good then and remains to this day, that's true

It's almost pointless picking 'a favorite' when every option to pick from is extremely good. Like at that point it's just "all of these are my favorites"

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I like hell march 2 better than the original. That might make me a heretic. :ohdear:

That said, both of them are in my playlist, and the volume goes up for either.

E: Speaking of OG hell march

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 6, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I vaguely recall reading that Hell March predates RA1 itself

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I like hell march 2 better than the original. That might make me a heretic. :ohdear:

I like HM2, but... Is it just me, or does it sound like it's in mono during the intro? The ingame track is fine, but the intro has always sounded weird to me.

Chronojam posted:

I vaguely recall reading that Hell March predates RA1 itself

Yeah, Frank made the track for Covert Ops originally, but it was simply too good not to use for, at the time, in-development RA1.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

THE BAR posted:

I like HM2, but... Is it just me, or does it sound like it's in mono during the intro? The ingame track is fine, but the intro has always sounded weird to me.
I think it might be