Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, Lieutenant Eva. I get it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know long it took to convince and/or cast Barry Corbin as Carville way back in the Red Alert expansion but it was time well spent.

Anyways it took kid-me an embarrassingly long time to notice there weren't any flak guns on the back half of the Soviet base in this mission and I mostly spent my time building up way too many harriers because, well, True Lies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

Those were some overpowered prism towers, why aren't Soviets building the poo poo out of them?

Turns out the Mayan ruins are an essential design element. Haven't quite figured out why.

I don't think I've ever done this mission correctly the first try. Something always goes wrong whether its with the attack on the "locals" or too many engineers dying or whatever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even back when I first played this mission I remember being suspicious about why they just give you a free MCV at the start. You soon find out why.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

You can get nine units with the Chronosphere, it's a 3x3 square.

Actually you can get way more by chronosphering loaded transports.

As a terrible RTS turtle this mission really hosed with me for a long time. If you aren't heading straight toward teleporting some tanks over to kill the power you just won't have any time at all.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hi Jobbo I don't know if ~~recent events~~ are going to mean anything for this but whatever happens, even if its just your Youtube channel, I'm there for the C&C. No need to post anything just because I said this though. Genuinely.

Anyways until World in Conflict this was the definitive invading America game and just walking over everything with a mass of conscripts was great. America's opening mission was just trying to lose less badly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

President Dugan? President Poogan more like.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This mission taught me that is it not fun at all to be on the receiving end of prism tanks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the first time I beat this mission a long time ago because the only reason I did that time is because I abused the fact that the AI units follows the same path to your base as long as there isn't a ground unit in the way. And 2 or 3 Kirovs on each approach carpet bombing a few points along that path means nothing will get through once they've ranked up. Even after fighting off Yuri's armada it didn't click with me that Kirovs were probably how I should attack too.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man I love Udo Kier.

I don't know about this FPS Command & Conquer spin-off though, doesn't sound like it'll work.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I really didn't remember the President being such a twit. But hey, we're approaching something that is pretty close to peak CnC. Really makes me wish EA remade TS and RA2 instead of the original ones.

e: CnC FPS? No way that's ever going to work. Especially not in multiplayer.

Dugan looks and acts calm only as long as the Commander is winning the war for him.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bringing back Carville was the second best decision Westwood made in Red Alert 2. Though I could have sworn the last time I installed Red Alert 2 (EA/Origin version) the voice lines for the actors were still in this mission.

This is one of those missions that really teaches you that expansions start with the understanding that you beat the original game and the final mission is the level of understanding you need to go in with. Grand cannons are great but if you get distracted by the big boomy thing too early and try to use them as defense you're going to get overrun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

With a par time like that it feels like you're supposed to know about NOT capturing a power plant.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The amount of mind control Yuri gets seems to be aimed specifically at countering the typical engineer rushes and tank rushes. Of course robot tanks exist but that almost feels like a "we went too far" concession.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if going to Defcon 2 is standard whenever Carville shows up somewhere.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, that other commander is an idiot

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Wow that ending was intense, even on normal that stream of units is nasty, but hard took it to another level. :eyepop:
From that super long par time I am guessing that Westwood didn't expect you to just fly up the bay and bomb the Naval Yard, but instead slowly push with Siege Choppers or something. Fun map though, being able to choose your landing area is really neat, and each area has a very different feel and a balance of resources vs defensibility/frequency of enemy attacks. Always took the south beach as well though, 3 Oil Derricks is just to tempting.

I really want to like the Siege Chopper, as it really does fill in a big missing area for the Soviets when it comes to siege, but man is it tough to use well. They do pack a very large punch when in siege mode though, and are handy to have around your base if nothing else to first strike any enemy units and counter any siege units of their own. Still, defiantly looking forward to the next map, its a if not THE highlight of the entire expansion in my book.

I think the swarm at the end is more of a response to a player barreling toward Kirovs and not being prepared for the result of "winning" the mission quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

UED Special Ops posted:

Fair enough but hard defiantly has a fair few more patrolling units running around at least.

I wouldn't be surprised but I just mean that like a lot of other stuff in the campaign and Yuri's faction itself so much of its seems to be explicitly designed as a kind of counter to a pretty typical player strategy. Usually its just a unit/building countering another unit/building - Teleport in transports filled with engineers? Mind control turrets. Garrison buildings with infantry to stop almost every early game unit? Gatling tanks. In this case, all you need to do is destroy 1 key target? Well you'll just build enough basic defenses to last until you can kill it with Kirovs and mission accompl-oh poo poo.