Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

You're being a little harsh on the Flak Track. It's a decent, mobile anti-air unit that's great at taking out Rocketeers when it's not outnumbered 30 to 1 and it's good at getting infantry across the map quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

We don't get the actual best track until Yuri's Revenge :(.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Tech buildings started healing automatically in the expansion.

That weird building you hovered over is the Chicago Water Tower

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I always got past that last tower by sending a spy in to shut off the power. In my latest playthrough I tried actually using spies in missions where you aren't required to and found they were a lot more useful than I thought they were as a kid. Capturing enemy outposts and leaving a single power station up so I could cut their power on demand made later missions so much easier.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 23, 2020

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Teleporting the chrono miner leaves the terror drone behind, it doesn't destroy it.

kingturnip posted:

I haven't yet found a good gimmick that makes this mission easy.
I usually just end up farming kills for Rocketeers, so that I can get a kill squad of 10+ Elite ones that can just go around annihilating Ore Miners and bankrupt each of the Soviet factions.
Can the AI actually run out of money? I've seen them continue to pump out endless streams of fairly expensive units even when all their ore refineries were dead.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The Aegis Cruiser is probably the best anti-air unit in the game for it's cost; it hits harder than a Patriot Missile, fires faster, and fires multiple missiles per volley while only costing $200 more. Its problem is that it only counters the Dreadnougt which isn't exactly the main threat when you're in a naval battle with the Soviets. On the missions where you can use it to its strengths though it's invaluable.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I'm looking forward to the next mission since it takes place in my hometown :haw:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

When Prism Tanks reach elite veterancy their beam splits will also split, leading to hilarious situations where you fire on a conscript and half the enemy's base explodes :science:.

Also, the parking lot where the Devastators were executing civilians is the location of St. Louis' Old Courthouse of Dred Scott fame. You'd think of all the monuments in the US they'd leave up the one where we decided black people are property and have no rights, even in "free" states and territories.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

In the campaign at least, I always use Mirage Tanks to defend my Prism Tanks. Unlike other players, the AI will never force attack deployed Mirage Tanks so they can sit there tearing apart anything that gets close while the Prism Tanks destroy the enemy base. There's also a mission in the expansion where I found two groups of four Mirage Tanks will basically win the mission for you (with a bit of anti-air support).

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The main use for Gap Generators against the AI is to neuter their super weapons. The AI will only target buildings and units it can "see" so if your entire base is covered by Gap Generators it will sit there with its thumb up its rear end until one of your units leaves cover.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

That ending cinematic is beautiful.

...so how stupid is the AI about superweapon targeting? If all it can see is a single Chrono Legionnaire that teleported into the middle of its own base...?

I've never tried that but I know it will happily target a lone GI if that's all it can see.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Never mind, I just tested it and apparently I've been wrong about Gap Generators for 20 loving years and now I don't know what's real anymore :psyduck:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Crazy Ivan IFVs are hilariously effective but that's about the only use I ever got out of them.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Trying to do this mission without using superweapons is an exercise in frustration. The weather control device is surrounded by linked prism towers on high ground and the soviets have no good way to reveal them. I eventually got tired of seeing my dreadnoughts get one-shot by hidden prism towers and started using rocketeers as disposable spotters.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

God I love that intro so much. Where you really have to watch out for initiates is when they're in buildings. Their attack strength goes from 25 to 63 and they lose what little range disadvantage they normally have.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Buddy recommended a mod (Mental Omega) that has a yuri campaign that's pretty much that. Remember Fox and the Hound, that mission that gives you 3 psi-corps troopers and tells you to mind control the president? It's like a whole campaign of that. I'm liking it so far but man it's hard.

I just started playing it myself and it really suffers from the typical mod problem of being way too hard because it was made by people who can casually break the base game in half. I'm also not a huge fan of the art or writing so far, it just feels too serious for RA2.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The slaves are immune to mind control so if you ever have a lone Yuri causing you trouble you can always send them over to beat him to death with their shovels. I would always try to avoid killing slaves and do my best to get any freed ones back to my base for safekeeping because I felt sorry for them :smith:.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

if you kill anything, anything at all with a slave, they become veterancy 3 murder machines.

5 slaves in a battle fortress is far more effective than it has any right to be.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

There's some really weird ones if you dig deep enough. You know how tanks will get get tossed around a bit by strong attacks? If you hit one with enough of them at fast enough without somehow destroying it first it'll flip over and explode. I only ever found out about it because I came across a youtube video where some guy just goes wild experimenting and it took an Iron Curtain charge and a massive fleet of Kirovs to trigger it. I have no idea where this would ever come into play but it's there.

Edit: holy poo poo it can happen to ships too :psyduck:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Oh god this mission. I always found the best way to handle it was to ignore the city center and stick to moving down the coastline so you can hit Yuri's base from behind.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The problem with mind control in this game is that if you're playing a faction that doesn't have a long-range way to kill a Yuri (:ussr:) then it's basically an insta-kill. Either you ignore the unit that was mind controlled and take way more damage than the unit is worth freeing it or you kill the unit and have another one stolen from you as soon as it's dead.

The MVP for me on this mission has always been Mirage Tanks; since you're defending a fixed location with limited entry points you can park a pack of them on each bridge and they'll kill anything Yuri sends your way long before it finishes crossing.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair conyards cannot be destroyed by one superweapon since at least CnC1. That's why everyone hits factories.

9 Crazy Ivan IFVs Chrono'd into an enemy base will destroy any building in the game and then some and there's nothing the enemy can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I was mostly thinking about single player. It's actually a really useful combination on this mission for taking out the Dominator. Since one of them going off will set off the rest it doesn't matter if most of them get mind-controlled.