Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Chronojam posted:

It's also still the series at a point where rock-paper-scissors isn't cranked up all the way.

Probably my favourite way of balancing RTS. (Almost) everything can technically beat anything else, but you still need precision tools to do the job once in a while. It's much more about the spectacle, and less about building A to counter B to counter C and back to A again.

anilEhilated posted:

And here we encounter one of the things that keeps pointlessly throwing me off: you want to name the main Soviet battle tank and you go with Rhino?

I believe that's this world's equivalent of NATO reporting names? I don't remember if the Soviets actually call it that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Grinder is such a great track. I've always had the hardest time deciding on my favourite C&C soundtrack.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I haven't. It's, without a doubt, RA2.

But C&C1's is just so.. Raw and rocking, uniquely so for an RTS. And TS' has some real bangers, too. RA1's is great, but the sheer volume means not everything is a classic... Then again, Hell March carries a lot of weight. A lot.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

And then there's In Deep.

What an installation menu. :allears:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Groetgaffel posted:

I like hell march 2 better than the original. That might make me a heretic. :ohdear:

I like HM2, but... Is it just me, or does it sound like it's in mono during the intro? The ingame track is fine, but the intro has always sounded weird to me.

Chronojam posted:

I vaguely recall reading that Hell March predates RA1 itself

Yeah, Frank made the track for Covert Ops originally, but it was simply too good not to use for, at the time, in-development RA1.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 6, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's an okay track.

...Shame it does not exist!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

LoL3!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Harrier's main strength is being a one-shot nuke when massed, and cheesing campaign levels for faster par times. I don't think I've ever used them in a non-decisive manner, especially not against individual units.

Oh, and they're capable of revealing the map, unlike earlier games' flying units.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You can't really go wrong.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Destroyer has always been the ugliest unit to me. The yellow plane and round turret makes it look like a toy!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah I remember that too. Doubtful its a sourceport thing, however, because the only modification I have is some text file stuff to allow higher resolution and/or changing the video wrapper to let me record stuff. Red Alert 2 was never made free by EA, so CCNet doesn't have a sourceport like previous games, just a new multiplayer client/server thing.

I just completed both campaigns, and it did the same thing as in your playthrough. Mine were just the CDs and 1.006 patch.

E:

I did get the klaxons, though. Weird.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've never even attempted going outside of the obvious route. Didn't think you would find all of this stuff, hiding just a couple of steps away. :stare:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You're also a fellow American, presumably.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I still think they made the terrain texture a bit too.. Flat in colour, I guess? The grass for C&C especially looks simplified.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I can't tell whether legacy graphics is also a single player thing only, or if it's just the toggle thing that is.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

..You can garrison the Pentagon?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

It happened in the video. :v:

So it did!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Best part of this mission might be Carville talking about Tanya in the opening and then using the toothpick on his ear. He really is a piece of work, for both good and bad.

He's using so many toothpicks he confuses himself, it's one of my favourite things in RA2.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

CheeseThief posted:

Edit:

Also, if you want to protect things like tech buildings from engineers just put a wall around them.

Multiplayer or Skirmish, any C&C game after C&C/RA1, I always start by surrounding my construction yard in walls.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm always a proponent of buffing things up to the fun stuff's level, rather than destroying what's cool and good.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's obviously impossible with physical media... Unless you sell new versions of the old stuff, of course! :capitalism:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Eh, I think game balance matters. Otherwhise why not just give the player a big red button to push right at the start that annihilates all enemies on the map, then let them choose to not use that if they want to win the 'hard' way? After all, what could be more 'cool' and 'fun' than massive explosions? Just sayin', there's a reason why that's not typically done.

It's supposed to go both ways, and not at all what I'm talking about. If a unit like the Prism tank is winning against more stuff than it was designed as a foil to, you help whatever's supposed to stop the Prism from doing its thing. Sacrificing the overperforming unit is the easy way to fix this, but I prefer a rejiggering of the bigger picture (both my own stuff and the games I enjoy) rather than smashing whatever's on top.

Syndrome did nothing wrong.

E:

I didn't mean to come off like I'm bashing what you're saying. Yes, sometimes you do need to stop a game element that's clearly out of control or is being used in a way that's detrimental to the experience. But I will always take a step back first and see if the system can be changed, in case the unbalanced element is also fun to players, like Prism tanks.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The main benefit from Prisms is their ease of use; their long range means you can attack move and do reasonably well against the AI without much effort.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I didn't know there was an airport there, and I never thought of swimming down to the other side of the map. You can get a long way by just sneaking through the north-eastern walls, garrisoning the big pyramid and luring things within range.

Watching these videos, I've missed so many things you can reveal by just exploring a bit; I always go for the most frontal thing possible, trying to cut down my par time each playthrough. You do need the Grizzlies, but I always end up capturing the enemy war factory and win that way. You start with a ton of credits you wouldn't use, anyway.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Broken Box posted:

i can't believe general carville is loving dead

Crazy Ivans can't melt steel Carvilles.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

That little island with a refinery is the only time I ever buy a SEAL. The Prisms and him are enough to defend, until you need Patriots for the Dreads.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

According to the wiki I reference, the Soviets never run out of cash for reasons.

It would make sense for them to have infinite money, when we're in their capital.

E:

There's no reason to ever eat the first nuke in this level. You have plenty of time to chrono those two power plants on the right and next to the Kremlin away. Or is it enough with just the two on the right? I don't remember. I've never had their nuke fire, in either case.

EE:

Ah, needs five.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 17, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The newspaper bit about the Allies blowing up the Kremlin after the fact seems needlessly cruel. Especially when it's a game over if you do it during the mission.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Or just get a spy into one to halt the countdown for half a minute, or the nuclear silo to reset it.

It's an alarmingly easy final mission.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

UED Special Ops posted:

Mission itself is of course incredibly easy and teaches the basics, but in much more style then the Allies.

It was mind-blowing back then, when you were shown in the first Allied mission that units could now swim.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

As with all levels featuring a central bridge, I've never tried any other tactic but skip everything and head straight to the objective.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Wave after wave of Chrono IFVs.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

This is probably the most Tiberian Sunny mission for me, in that I always beat it by immediately sending rifleman equivalents to the spot they'll show up, selling off everything non-essential as the timer starts running out. You can have a good hundred something conscripts hanging out at that lighthouse when they land.

And then I reload, cause I always forget to build some drat subs to clear the naval units.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'd have loved to see what kind of ludicrous mission Seth would've actually put us through, had we attacked the Pentagon. Maybe he truly was on to something, and all of this could've been avoided!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

A trick against enemy spies is to not have a single infantry unit yourself, not even dogs. Then they can't disguise themselves, and any tank or base defence will kill them without your supervision.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You really only have Apocalypse tanks as a counter, and they're just a smidge too slow to cover everything.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fangz posted:

The allied arsenal is much more micro-intensive, though, and the basic soviet units are better for early rushes, while the better allied units are expensive and late.

Which makes the Allied units more interesting, as a result. :v:

And there's nothing to micro with enough Prisms, unless driving away from flying units count.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The radiation effect of deployed Desolators stack, so having a group of them walk one tile, deploy, walk another, deploy, makes them capable of burning through even heavier tanks in short order.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I've always found this a very.. Aesthetically pleasing mission? Dunno, the whole layout just looks neat to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It definitely feels like a demo map, given its freeform approach.

And demo maps/levels used to be the best ones, so it checks out.