Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Aww yeah, it's time for best C&C game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

E A GAMES
"challenge everything"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

And the game opens right up with Soviet ships bombing the statue of liberty. This is it folks, peak C&C!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

you got quoted in PC Gamer? that owns

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I'm the heresiarch, then. The best HM is 3.

You could not be more wrong, heresiarch.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Lt. Eva: "Commander, the Soviets are holding Justin Bieber hostage and forcing him to make communist music videos. General Carville's daughter is already singing about marxism, you have to stop them!"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Rocketeers are what jumpjet infantry should've been. It's really cool how we're getting to play with those on the second mission; it's going to be a while yet before we see my favorite Allied unit. Shame that, like JJIs, they aren't really that good and I don't think the campaign gives you a lot of opportunities to get good use out of them. I never wound up using rocketeers, whenever I needed to strike from the skies I just pulled in a few of those jets. In fact there's a mission coming up soon-ish that I always beat just by throwing like, 20 harriers at it.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 6, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

"Just destroy the building, we don't have the resources for mounting a rescue operation. The world's future depends on you, Commander!"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Anecdotally, I noticed the same thing with missiles having better single-target damage. This mission too is a real stand-out for me, classic RA2. You're in Washington DC, the mind controlled civilians think you're there to tread on them (you are), you get bonus points for repairing the American monuments, and there's a psychic thingy set up on the White House's lawn. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Best track? That's not Grinder

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

All these urban maps really make me wish for a Tiberian Sun re-done in the style of RA2, with its denser maps, larger and more visually distinct units, a decent amount of units with special abilities, all that good stuff. Like, atmospherically and to an extent narratively TibSun is the best of the series, but RA2 is overall a better game. Imagine if your jumpjet infantry worked like rocketeers, if your orcas were much less finicky like the harriers, if you could queue up 30 Light Infantry instead of five at a time. Imagine if TibSun's ruined and abandoned settlements actually had the scope and scale of RA2's cities rather than being a loose handful of buildings each the size of a Titan.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

It's because missiles are cool and good

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Oh, this is the one with Tanya and the Spies isn't it? gently caress yes, I love this mission.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

There's a lot of ways to tackle this mission. You can see in the video it gives you a fair number of tools which, depending on how you go about it, you may or may not discover. The cows, the elite troops, as other people mentioned using an engineer to steal the nuke or turn it into a conventional base-building mission. One thing I don't think Jobbo showed off is that if you run out of spies Tanya radios for more and another chopper flies in with another three spies, so effectively you've got infinite spies, and if you don't shoot the troops along the border you've also got readily available disguises. When I was a kid I did this that way which I think is the intended way, always using spies to shut down the power to remove tesla coils.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Ten days ago, C&C Remastered posted their Official Reveal Trailer and I'm only hearing about it now. My god those games look amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAc2rMlOOYc

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

Einstein has a time machine. It should be trivial for him to extend his life with that.

EDIT: I wonder if the smart way to win this mission is with a spy. You can shut down their flak emplacements and tesla defenses for your attack. You can also probably steal infinite money from all the refineries.

No-go for the spies, see those dogs kicking around their base? Dogs detect spies. I always just blobbed Grizzlies and rolled over their base, or more recently used perhaps ten grizzlies and a few repair IFVs in the group. You don't really have a siege unit yet and the defensive cross coverage is pretty solid so you can't really exploit weak spots air or massed infantry. You don't yet have the tools to crack a decent defense with minimal units.

You could capture that first Soviet war factory and radar, use that to build V3s, and use those to siege the enemy base. But, well, effort.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Man it's just been a nonstop highlights reel for me. Every mission I exclaim "Oh man! I remember this one!"

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Your orders were very clear: "Get me back my office". You have to send in a bunch of GIs to clean out all the communist propaganda.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

There's few things in this game better than making your Aegis Cruiser force-attack an air unit and seeing the resulting deathblossom of missiles.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

haha yessss time for PRISM TANKS, best unit on the allied side. man i loved getting these guys up to max veterancy and they'd just spit beam splinters everywhere.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Have we seen any soviet air units so far? I think there's only one and we haven't seen it yet.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

You made quite a few botches early on there but it looks like you recovered well enough to play it through.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

SEALS are great. I spent way too much time in missions by eventually winning them by plotting and executing series of commando raids.
As opposed to, y'know, just rolling over the enemy with tanks.

yeah i loved doing that too. strategic use of spies and seals to open a hole and clear the base, plus two tank destroyers and a repair IFV. it was always a fun little challenge gimmick in skirmishes.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

obligatory "Oh yeah, this mission!"
It always used to give me such a hard time back in the day what with the initial onslaught. When I replayed the game again recently I managed to keep the first base which I considered a bit of an accomplishment considering it, as you said, kinda sucks and gets hammered hard almost right away. I never even thought about cheezing it with engineer IFVs, that's a good play. I always just built some expansion bases off the tech outpost and capturable refinery you mentioned and slugged it out.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

You can get nine units with the Chronosphere, it's a 3x3 square.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Plus as we've seen, Prism Tanks are rather fragile and will die to other top-end vehicles quite handily, especially if chrono'd into the middle of an enemy base.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Turns out all the various Florida Man incidents throughout history have just been one dude abusing the chronosphere.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

:sickos:
this is it, one of the definitive moments of Red Alert 2. if you had to ask me to sum up the game in one screenshot, this would be it. In fact, this whole sequence does a wonderful job setting the tone. As always, the red-wearing "bad guys" faction is actually the best.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

but everything is good with veterancy.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

max veterancy GIs are actually quite good as far as basic infantry go. you could see in this mission Jobbo inadvertently created one and lost a couple rhinos to it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

That's from the expansion. Conscripts vs GIs in buildings are the same as far as I can tell. I really hope Jobbo shows off some of the more fun/unique IFV combos. Even tesla IFVs are quite cool, nevermind some of the units we haven't seen yet (or some of the rarer ones we have, like Psi Corps troopers).

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Sea Scorpions are trash on their own, but pack one or two alongside a submarine fleet and they make an excellent force multiplier. That still doesn't mean I bother to build them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I bet you could speedrun that by getting the two flak tracks, loading them up with tesla troopers, putting them in the hovercraft, and then driving the resulting package directly at the tower. You'll lose the vehicles and probably some of the troopers but you just need to get there.

edit: screen your delivery hovercraft with suicide conscript blob to soak up bullets from the GIs/pillboxes

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 29, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What if, like... RA2 is the universe where other Chrono Legionnaires send stuff to?

Turns out the Chrono Legionaires were behind it all. Kane, Tiberium, Yuri...it's all a Chrono plot.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

And a critical mass of Prisms will happily delete Apocs.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the hardest thing to micro is the 1-3 repair IFVs you should have in any given blob.
protip: use the Guard order for the repair IFVs. they will automatically "attack" (ie repair) any valid target (ie damaged tank)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the apoc tanks are so good they even gently caress up infantry.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Promotion boxes are shared between all nearby units. I bet if you rushed the hidden trucks near the Lincoln Memorial with a handful of apocs (as a challenge, just the first 2) you could turn them all elite and steamroll the map. Or maybe use them to show off, I don't know, elite V3s or something.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 19, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i always thought you were supposed to blow it up. i mean, why are we deploying apocalypse tanks, under the player's command, to washington DC, if not to loving level the place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the desolator's area irradiation thingy can actually gently caress up tanks if you have a few of them hitting the same area. the greener it is, the stronger the damage over time effect is. i think you need like, three to five desolators to really get a death zone going.