Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Aces High posted:

you know, I never actually knew the timeline placed this in the 70s, I had always thought that, with it being a splinter from the Tiberium timeline, this took place in 199X like Tiberian Dawn did.

Heck even with all of the campy and pulpy units, like the Rocketeer here, I honestly just thought we were in the mid-90s and everything was a love letter to movies like Commando

I think RA2 was the point where Westwood finally decided that the two universes weren't connected after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway:

Generals/ZH>RA2/YR>TS/FS>CNC3>C&C/RA>RA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TT

although on pure visuals I'd probably put C&C3 dead last

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You take back what you said about Ray Wise dammit! :argh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
TA and supcom are some of the only games to make sea combat as important as land, especially the former with its dedicated hover factories, underwater resourcing, and even certain planes that could submerge.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a reason most mods heavily nerf Prism Tanks, usually by making them into a dedicated siege unit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ThingOne posted:

In the campaign at least, I always use Mirage Tanks to defend my Prism Tanks. Unlike other players, the AI will never force attack deployed Mirage Tanks so they can sit there tearing apart anything that gets close while the Prism Tanks destroy the enemy base. There's also a mission in the expansion where I found two groups of four Mirage Tanks will basically win the mission for you (with a bit of anti-air support).

Yeah the AI doesn't really know what to do about Mirage Tanks, they're great against it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Poil posted:

Three V3s to crush a patriot if my memory is correct.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of V3s because you can overwhelm Pats easily and can practically two-shot any normal building.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Battle Lab
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 1500
POWER USED: 100
PURPOSE: Unlocks higher tech levels

Many of the more advanced Soviet units and defenses depend upon additional technology found only at the Battle Lab. To create the Soviet special weapons, you must have a Battle Lab at your base. While expensive to build and requiring a lot of power to run, the units and structures available with the Battle Lab make it a necessary addition to any Soviet base.

Author's Note: So similar to the Allied Battle Lab that the manual uses the wrong building image for the manual. (This is also repeated for the Barracks)
The alpha Soviet lab looked like this, so maybe that's why the image is the same/similar?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Poil posted:

Absolutely.

A youtuber I follow recently started a playthrough of this game with a huge mod called Rise of The East which adds a ton of stuff and does some "balancing". They've gone for a more realistic look for vehicles like tanks and honestly they look kinda crap, even though they've definitely put in a lot of effort and skill into the new models. It lets you use units from the expansion in the base campaigns (so I can't link to it :v: ) and with a much higher difficulty. For example just in the first allied mission the soviets were throwing hordes of infantry and even tanks at the base while a super powered up Tanya wrecked stuff. It looks pretty cool.

I know the Red Resurrection mod also lets you play the RA2 campaign with its changes. RR is more vanilla in its look but definitely changes up the tech tree and gameplay a lot.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 10, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I honestly have no clue how to answer this, especially because, at some point I will also be diving head-first into mods. There's a trailer drop in the next video, which should be exciting, and after that game, I may take a break from the actual story games to explore third-party content. There'll be a poll to decide what route the thread wishes to go.

That's no small feat, considering some of the mods have more missions than the originals. Have you played those campaigns or are you going in fresh? Or are you just planning on dabbling?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
C&C Remastered has likely sold over a million copies and can't have been very expensive to make, so I'd say a generation 2 remaster collection must be a given. Right, EA? Right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Fwiw they're apparently rebalancing the entire Mental Omega campaign, and I think towards the easier? Might want to wait until the next version comes out before playing it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

anilEhilated posted:

With all the mod talk, what version are you guys using to play them? I assume TFD? Any custom patches?

TS went F2P a while back so most contemporary mods for it are completely standalone. I actually own RA2 on Origin but I, uh, just use a pirated installer because of how easy it is. Mods are based off the latest YR patch but most current ones use the Ares dll injector to bypass and expand the engine's limits. That's usually just included in the mod's installation files though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know, I've got a hard time thinking of any RTS with as many unique interactions as RA2/YR.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ThingOne posted:

There's some really weird ones if you dig deep enough. You know how tanks will get get tossed around a bit by strong attacks? If you hit one with enough of them at fast enough without somehow destroying it first it'll flip over and explode. I only ever found out about it because I came across a youtube video where some guy just goes wild experimenting and it took an Iron Curtain charge and a massive fleet of Kirovs to trigger it. I have no idea where this would ever come into play but it's there.

Yeah, that's something a few mods play with, like making psychic units who can flip tanks with their mind. Plus Ares adds a bunch more weird little stuff.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The CNCNet version has a rebalanced Yuri checkbox built in, which is telling.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope if/when EA remasters RA2 they actually stick with it and make it into something similar to what the resurrected AOE2 has become. RA2 is both modern and complex enough that there's real potential for its multiplayer to kick off in a way the older game remasters don't really have.