Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Appare-Ranman! is a new original anime by P.A. Works directed by Masakazu Hashimoto.

quote:

The curtain is about to fall on the 19th century and open anew for the 20th century…
Sorano Appare is a genius but lacks talent when it comes to social interactions. Isshiki Kosame is a brilliant samurai, but a coward. These two end up drifting from Japan to America due to an unfortunate accident. Both of them are penniless when they arrive, so the choose a unique way to get back home: they decide to participate in a transcontinental race across America. The starting point is Los Angeles on the West Coast, and the goal is New York. They must travel through the country with their own constructed steam car, compete with crazy rivals and protect themselves from nature and outlaws. Will the two of them be able to win the race, get the prize money and travel back home to Japan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PhhL_QEjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f705Py7rpGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uSzvRPmGNI

The show is being streamed by Funimation and officially begins on the 10th, though the first episode has been previewed early and can be found places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The character designs are all great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MonsterEnvy posted:

The character designs are all great.

I am curious about Cyborg Sombrero Immortan Joe

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The soundtrack in the trailers is what really intrigues me.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I can accept the hair, but what the gently caress are those mouth dots?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Forgall posted:

I can accept the hair, but what the gently caress are those mouth dots?

Makeup I am pretty sure. Like for Kabuki actors.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This looks rad as gently caress and the premise is like something designed in a lab to be everything I want in an alt-fiction action series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpkow-xI9lQ

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat, first episode was pretty fun. Really like the dynamic between the main duo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Appare has Biscuit Griffon's VA, but he definitely reminds me a lot of Mikazuki as a mad scientist.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

Appare has Biscuit Griffon's VA, but he definitely reminds me a lot of Mikazuki as a mad scientist.
To be fair, while still within his range/wheelhouse (teenage boys) after hearing him as Alm, Kaneki, Tanjiro and the two or so episodes he does as a young Nicholas Brown in Gangsta., I'm convinced Natsuki Hanae has a surprisingly malleable voice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:negative: drat you, Roni...till we meet again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

:negative: drat you, Roni...till we meet again.

It'd help if you actually posted what this was in regards to.

Are you referring to this?
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-17/p.a-works-appare-ranman-anime-delayed-due-to-covid-19/.158707

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Aw poo poo that sucks. I really enjoyed the first two episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That was super fun. Shame this is going to be on hold for a while.

I did not think of launching Kosame to win the race.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I love that steampunk Segway, it's so absurd. At first I thought I was going to hate the rich dude but he turns out to be a cool and fair man after all.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
That's a crying shame. I love everything about this anime and I was really looking forward to meeting the rest of the cast, especially Dreads Guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Series is back. Get hype.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bit of a corny ending, but hey, at least the rear end in a top hat got punched.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
appare-ranman? what's that little twink up to now?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The race has finally started!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like TJ.

Excellent demonstration of gun kata this episode.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat. What a guy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Love that retro futuristic boom box

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

...... does he HAVE to wear THAT around his neck tho? :gonk:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am thinking that Gil is not the real Gil.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did the name of the next episode give it away?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, even apart from that, the gang absolutely feel like two-bit goons operating off borrowed notoriety. I'd guess that Kosame's new friend with the scarred face is the real Gil, but we saw the back of his neck and it looks unmarked.

Option B is that the big dude with the mask is the henchman who killed Hototo's parents, which is why he spared him this episode. When we saw a glimpse of his face, it looked pretty haunted, and his neck is hidden by his dreads.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, even apart from that, the gang absolutely feel like two-bit goons operating off borrowed notoriety. I'd guess that Kosame's new friend with the scarred face is the real Gil, but we saw the back of his neck and it looks unmarked.

I also think Richard is possibly the real Gil. Note there is nothing about Gil having the tattoo himself.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
My initial thought was that the guy in the car with masked Gil is really Gil since he's the one ordering everyone around on Gil's behalf, but I could see it being Richard as well.
He was acting so nice that either he is secretly evil or exists only to get killed in the race and make Kosame sad/angry.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

My initial thought was that the guy in the car with masked Gil is really Gil since he's the one ordering everyone around on Gil's behalf, but I could see it being Richard as well.
He was acting so nice that either he is secretly evil or exists only to get killed in the race and make Kosame sad/angry.

He tried to ram our protagonists off the road, which we already know is really not on in American motor racing. Whoever he really is, he's trouble.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

InspectorCarbonara posted:

It would not really make any sense for Chase the Bad to be Gil as he is clearly a guy trying to be more intimidating using Gil's name.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New episode is out and as one mystery is solved, a new one appears. Also, Appare gets shown his shortcomings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I liked how efficiently the reveal scene set the tone for the gang going forward. They're jerks who deserve regular comeuppances when they go too far, but that's all they are, and they have lines they won't cross and endearing quirks to humanise them. I like how Chase respects his brother's opinions and decisions, even if he grumbles about it.

Also, it seems pretty clear that we've now met the real Gil and his murderous lieutenant. Richard just seems way too quietly competent to be Ponytail's number two, given that he managed to stay right behind the Bads despite the trap they set up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Glad to see the main villain finally taking the opportunity to look as incredibly extra as the rest of the cast.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like the implication that he doesn't just have narrow eyes, he's literally been keeping them completely closed this whole time so people don't see his evil eye.

Also that was a rad fight. one of the best sword vs gun fights since Cowboy Bebop.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yay I called it. Richard was Gil

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Gil T. Cigar is a hell of a name

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Adding to the CIA document to say the scene where Kosame rewrites his traumatic flashback was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol the ending credit song slaps