Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The gathering came together like a creek in spring, flowing bit by bit until some kind of unseen threshold was crossed and then all at once. Some came to the castle by intention, across great distance and with dire purpose, and others found themselves there by chance. The result would be the same, in the days to come both parties felt cursed, whether by their own foolish action or happenstance of fate. In time all are wounded and the cause can be considered again and again and again without result, but what else is there to do? I have no better purpose, so I will begin.

Knapp’s Castle lies in the Santa Ynez Mountain, which lies within the Transverse Ranges, which lies within California, and that hopefully is enough. Where there is life it is usually chaparral and sage scrub, a kind of muddy green that paints the landscape in large impressionist strokes. The summers are warm and usually, I say again usually, rainless. Chaparral is highly fire resilient, which was likely of little comfort to Frances Holden, who owned the mansion for about five weeks before she was burned alive there in 1940. We may mourn Ms. Holden, but Knapp Castle refused to die. Its foundations and pillars and walls remain intact, sandstone bones laid bare. Reconstruction was started in 1970 and again in 1995 and again in 2009, but each time efforts were halted by lack of funding or lack of permits or sudden death, like a body rejecting a transplant Knapp Castle rejected any efforts to restore it. The resulting effort which we come to now is something of a hodgepodge promethean, coming together to approximate what you could loosely call a mansion. We shall call it a castle for reasons that will become clear.

However, this story is not a history of Knapp Castle, or George Owen Knapp, or Union Carbide, or Lotte Lehmann, or opera. This is a story of what happened when I arrived at the castle, and the horror that followed.

(art by emily carroll)

hello and welcome.

this is a game of Mafia for fifteen players. this game will be an unconventional setup with unconventional roles, but the focus will be on posting and ideally not night-action mafia.

1. Bifauxnen (she/her but I don't care if you gently caress it up )
  2. CirclMastr
  3. Deadbeat Dad
  4. dmboogie (he/him)
  5. Grandicap (He, Him)
  6. Hal Incandenza (he/him/hal)
  7. ilmucche
  8. Infinitum (Call me anything you like...just don't call me late for dinner! ha cha cha~)
  9. Kashuno
  10. Moatillata (moat/vote)
  11. Mr. Humalong (w/e)
  12. Retro Futurist (He/him/opop)
  13. Sandwolf (He/Him)
  14. Toalpaz (THEY THEM)
  15. Yami Fenrir

the dearly departed
Mr. Humalong, THE COUNTESS OF CASTLE KNAPP, Castle-Aligned Killer-Joat, was executed day one!
Grandicap, Erica Slaughter, House of Slaughter Aligned Ninja disappeared night one!
Kashuno, Lenny Marks, Town Smokescreen was executed day two!
Retro Futurist, Phil Voss, Town Rolecop disappeared night two!
Deadbeat Dad, Oedipa Cohen, Town Night-Marker vanished night two!
Moatilla, Carl Perez, Town Watcher went missing night two!

The rules of Mafia, so far as I remember them, are as follows.

I. Don't be a dick. If someone asks you to chill out, please chill out. This is Fun. We're having Fun.
II. Any out-of-thread communication should never be posted in this thread. If I said something to you, clarified a question, or gave you specific information, you cannot copy it directly to this thread. The same goes for any out of thread communication with other players. If you are a Mason, you cannot post your chatlogs itt. That said, feel free to paraphrase.
III. Do not fake day actions.
IV. Oddly enough, you are actually free to keep posting in the event of a day action.
V. Don't Toxx, although I think the last person to do that was Jose back in like, 2008.
VI. This is less a rule and more a gentle caution, but please to do not read too much into flavor. If you are, one of us has likely made a mistake, and I'm guessing it's you.
VII. Do not post :siren: anything :siren: itt after you die other than 'Go Town' or 'Go Scum' without clearing it with me first. I know someone is not going to read this one but seriously do not do not do not do not.
VIII. Please do not lurk. Lurkers will be a free lunch after one(1) warning if they fall below the threshold of 10 posts a day. This is subject to my discretion, no replacements after day two without darn good reasons.
IX. Discord is required.

New players are welcome to play.

Days will be short.

I will be ready to start this game on this coming Monday, presuming we have enough players by then. I don't want to do a weekend start.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Podima posted:

This is a really good setup and folks should play it. I'm very excited to see how it shakes out!

Thanks for the endorsement and your help with set-up 🥰

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. Humalong posted:

I will play if Jen does

Or even if she doesn’t, but I want to make it known Jen should play

I don't know if I have the power to make Jen play. Jen, do you want to play? You should play Jen.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ilmucche posted:

I've never played forums mafia before. Is this going to be super complicated or do I mostly just shitpost and fling baseless accusations at people?

As in I'd like to play but don't want to gently caress the game up

You're totally welcome to play, don't worry about loving anything up. Just post and don't post any private communication and you're good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
yay hi moat :toot:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Good to see you all, what a fun group of people we have here.

That's -1 to start. Hopefully we can get going tonight. In the meantime, as I review the content for this game I realize there are some upsetting themes, especially in the role messages, that could be unpleasant for folks. That's sorta the idea with a horror game, but I want this to be Fun for everyone. If there's anything you don't want to see in your role in general, just shoot me a message.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i think we're about ready to get started.

everyone please do me a favor and join the discord here so i can send you your role: https://discord.gg/c5SWGwa

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Infinitum posted:

Not Googledocs 0/10

i remember when we used AIM chat for mafias :corsair:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

i think we're about ready to get started.

everyone please do me a favor and join the discord here so i can send you your role: https://discord.gg/c5SWGwa

Just need Kash, Retro, and Toal in the server and we can get started :toot:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
So it came to be that sixteen of us were there at Castle Knapp, many of us confused and all of us anxious. Some small pleasantries were exchanged, jokes and laughs exchanged like illicit currency in the cavernous interior of the castle. We did not know then that we would spend the rest of the night there, some of us the very rest of our lives.

The storm blew in suddenly and without warning, the sky opened up and let loose. Some of us stared out through the windows, waiting for a break in the storm so that we could make our escape. Others sat contentedly, examining their surroundings, making drinks, or starting up conversations. As it was, the latter group had the right of it, for there was to be no break in the storm for all too long. Quickly the roads became unnavigable and it was clear we would all be spending the evening as guests of Castle Knapp.

There were no staff or residents in attendance, which some of you found strange. A few said they had been welcomed by an old woman at the door, but if she existed she was nowhere to be found. A half an hour passed before they realized I was missing.

Somberbrero, Town Vanilla, disappeared night zero!

Someone suggested I might have decided to risk the roads, but the number of cars parked out front remained the same. No one said it loudly, but the thought echoed throughout the manner regardless.

Had something happened to me?

As it was, something did happen to me. It is still happening and, I know now with some certainty, i̴t̷ ̴a̷l̸w̷a̸y̷s̷ ̶w̴i̷l̷l̷ ̷b̸e̸.

game begin! no more fake day action.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (15): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, Deadbeat Dad, dmboogie, Grandicap, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Infinitum, Kashuno, Moatillata, Mr. Humalong, Retro Futurist, Sandwolf, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2020 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days, 5 hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 1

Sandwolf (2): Retro Futurist, ilmucche
CirclMastr (2): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Bifauxnen
Mr. Humalong (2): Moatillata, Toalpaz
Bifauxnen (1): Yami Fenrir, Kashuno, Kashuno
Infinitum (1): Bifauxnen, Kashuno, Bifauxnen
Hal Incandenza (1): Mr. Humalong
Moatillata (1): CirclMastr
Deadbeat Dad (1): Hal Incandenza
Kashuno (1): Infinitum
ilmucche (0): Infinitum, Infinitum
Yami Fenrir (0): Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong, Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong

Not Voting (3): dmboogie, Grandicap, Sandwolf

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2020 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day, 5 hours.

Deadbeat Dad has been MARKED Day One!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 1

Sandwolf (2): Retro Futurist, ilmucche
Toalpaz (2): Moatillata, Grandicap
Kashuno (2): Infinitum, Bifauxnen
Bifauxnen (1): Yami Fenrir, Kashuno, Kashuno
Infinitum (1): Bifauxnen, Kashuno, Bifauxnen
Moatillata (1): CirclMastr
Deadbeat Dad (1): Hal Incandenza
CirclMastr (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Bifauxnen
Mr. Humalong (0): Moatillata, Toalpaz, Moatillata, Grandicap, Toalpaz, Grandicap
Yami Fenrir (0): Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong, Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong

Not Voting (4): Deadbeat Dad, dmboogie, Sandwolf, Toalpaz

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2020 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 23 hours, 44 minutes.

Deadbeat Dad was MARKED day one!

only a couple people are below 10 posts so hey if you're one of those people make sure ya get a few more in y'know?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 1

Sandwolf (3): Retro Futurist, ilmucche, Retro Futurist, ilmucche, Yami Fenrir, CirclMastr, Moatillata
Toalpaz (2): Moatillata, Grandicap, Retro Futurist, Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir, Moatillata
Moatillata (2): CirclMastr, CirclMastr, Sandwolf, dmboogie
Kashuno (2): Infinitum, Bifauxnen, dmboogie, dmboogie
Retro Futurist (1): Toalpaz
Deadbeat Dad (1): Hal Incandenza, Kashuno, Kashuno
Yami Fenrir (1): Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong, Bifauxnen, Mr. Humalong, Deadbeat Dad
Grandicap (0): ilmucche, ilmucche
Bifauxnen (0): Yami Fenrir, Kashuno, Kashuno, Yami Fenrir
Infinitum (0): Bifauxnen, Kashuno, Bifauxnen, Kashuno
CirclMastr (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Bifauxnen
Mr. Humalong (0): Moatillata, Toalpaz, Moatillata, Grandicap, Toalpaz, Grandicap

Not Voting (2): ilmucche, Kashuno

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2020 at 10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 6 hours, 18 minutes.

dmboogie was MARKED day one!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Majority vote is required to lunch.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Before even an hour had passed, we all realized something was wrong. Although there was a storm raging outside, the interior of Castle Knapp felt strangely more ominous and oppressive. Although I could not speak anymore, I watched with some sense of satisfaction as the guests of Castle Knapp formed a circle around the old woman.

To her part, she just laughed. In her voice you could hear something wrong, like she was in another place and time altogether. She didn’t stop laughing as the first blow was struck, nor the last. Many of the guests here tonight would not normally consider themselves violent people, but they found themselves incited beyond reason, some primal fight or flight response triggered, and they chose to fight.

“You think that’s it, do you?” The skin of her face was hanging off to the side, but there was no blood on the floor. Humalong gave a coy pose, even as their teeth were falling out loose onto the floor, long canines that smelled of dirt and loam.

The thing on the floor laughed and said “Go on then, stay a while. I’ll be waiting for you when you’re done.”

And then she fell to the floor, empty.

Mr. Humalong, THE COUNTESS OF CASTLE KNAPP, Castle-Aligned Killer-Joat, was executed day one!

I wish I could say that was the end of it.

night actions please.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Nothing could be done for the storm outside, and so we huddled together for some time by a miserable fire in the main hall. As time went on though, more and more of us found excuses to walk the floors of the Castle. Perhaps this is how she met her end. I cannot say for certain as she no longer seems particularly interested in speaking. If I were a clever man I would perhaps make some joke about the hunter becoming the hunted. I am not clever, I am oh so very tired.

Grandicap, Erica Slaughter, House of Slaughter Aligned Ninja disappeared night one!

There was no finding here where she had gone, at least not in a way that meant coming back yourself. However, they did find her duffel bag. Inside were a number of strange charms and a worn machete. They could only imagine its intended purpose, and no one felt too particularly inclined to look further for the missing woman.

As it was, several more would find their way to her, but for now the storm raged on, and the thirteen guests gathered together once more, hoping the time would pass soon enough and they could be on their way without incident. Hope can be a great comfort, but it is more often than not a cruel lie.

Retro Futurist was MARKED night one!

Votecount for Day 2

Not Voting (13): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, Deadbeat Dad, dmboogie, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Infinitum, Kashuno, Moatillata, Retro Futurist, Sandwolf, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 12th, 2020 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days.

Retro Futurist was MARKED night one!

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 11, 2020

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Somberbrero posted:

I. Don't be a dick. If someone asks you to chill out, please chill out. This is Fun. We're having Fun.

Independent of anything else I would like to remind everyone to please be respectful of the people you are playing with. I do not make these kind of statements lightly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

ilmucche posted:

##mark RF

This is not a valid day action.

Votecount for Day 2

Moatillata (3): Infinitum, dmboogie, Sandwolf, Infinitum, Infinitum
Infinitum (2): Moatillata, Yami Fenrir
Retro Futurist (2): Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad
Bifauxnen (1): Kashuno
Sandwolf (0): Moatillata, Moatillata
Toalpaz (0): Moatillata, Moatillata
Kashuno (0): Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir

Not Voting (5): CirclMastr, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Retro Futurist, Toalpaz

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 12th, 2020 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day, 5 hours.

Retro Futurist was MARKED night one and day two! Retro Futurist has two marks.

Please don't fake day actions. Going forward I'll have to modkill.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Votecount for Day 2

Retro Futurist (4): Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Kashuno, Hal Incandenza
Infinitum (2): Moatillata, Yami Fenrir, dmboogie, Retro Futurist, dmboogie, Retro Futurist
Moatillata (2): Infinitum, dmboogie, Sandwolf, Infinitum, Infinitum, dmboogie
Bifauxnen (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
Toalpaz (0): Moatillata, Moatillata

Not Voting (5): CirclMastr, dmboogie, ilmucche, Retro Futurist, Toalpaz

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 12th, 2020 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 17 hours, 41 minutes.

Retro Futurist was MARKED night one and day two! Retro Futurist has two marks.

oh no you all are close to deadline what is going to happen idk let's find out

ps everyone is fine on postcounts today bc i forgot to track them from end of d1 moving forward but you better freaking watch out i'll cut you

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Yami Fenrir posted:

##mark Retro Futurist

Votecount for Day 2

Retro Futurist (4): Bifauxnen, Deadbeat Dad, Kashuno, Hal Incandenza, Bifauxnen, Toalpaz, CirclMastr, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir, Yami Fenrir
Moatillata (2): Infinitum, dmboogie, Sandwolf, Infinitum, Infinitum, dmboogie, Infinitum, Infinitum
Toalpaz (1): Moatillata, Moatillata, Bifauxnen, Yami Fenrir, ilmucche, Moatillata, Moatillata, Bifauxnen, Yami Fenrir
Bifauxnen (0): Kashuno, Kashuno
Infinitum (0): Moatillata, Yami Fenrir, dmboogie, Retro Futurist, dmboogie, Retro Futurist, Yami Fenrir, Moatillata

Not Voting (6): Bifauxnen, dmboogie, Moatillata, Retro Futurist, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 12th, 2020 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 3 hours, 13 minutes.

Retro Futurist was MARKED night one and twice day two! Retro Futurist has three marks.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

With Kashuno’s strange revelation that he had murdered his brother, the rest of the group wasted no time tying him up in the next room. He looked as though he was staring past them the whole time, eyes fixed on something unseen in the corner.

They spent a while searching through his belongings, but could find nothing to indicate any sort of guilt. When they came back, he was gone altogether.

Kashuno, Lenny Marks, Town Smokescreen was executed day two!

Lenny was always very good at hiding. He lived in his brother’s shadow his whole life, and now he lives here in the shadows with Us. Lenny has been very careful to avoid the Mistress and the Other Things here, but we all know it is only a matter of time. Lenny knows too.

night actions please

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
A great many things happened all at once, and so I will recount them here and now so that we may better understand what happened that night at the Castle. There are many particulars to the comings and goings that occurred, and if you end up staying a little longer, I’m sure we’ll have time to discuss them more. However, we do have a little time for a short story.

Retro Futurist, Phil Voss, Town Rolecop disappeared night two!

It was not hard to find young Phillip's mess of equipment, scattered about an empty bedroom. There were oodles of audio equipment, more portable EMF readers than anyone rightly had any use for, and a laptop with a satellite internet adapter. Without the password, it would prove to serve no purpose.

Similarly missing was one Ms. Cohen, a strange character who proved as inscrutable in death as she had in life. All she left behind was a notebook, much of it in code, and a half a pack of Fantasia cigarettes. There were copious notes regarding Union Carbide, something about a Spanish-Austro taxi company, and Jacobins, but nothing much useful.

Deadbeat Dad, Oedipa Cohen, Town Night-Marker vanished night two!

Growing frantic, which was understandable given the horrors that awaited them, if not helpful, they realized that Carl had not been seen in some time. Indeed, they had seen him for the last time, and an organized search produced only the curious little silver and black ring he was wearing.

Moatilla, Carl Perez, Town Watcher went missing night two!

Votecount for Day 3

Not Voting (9): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, dmboogie, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Infinitum, Sandwolf, Toalpaz, Yami Fenrir

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 15th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days, 17 hours.

Yami Fenrir was MARKED night two!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
last votecount didn't have the accurate mark count, my apologies

Votecount for Day 3

Infinitum (2): dmboogie, Sandwolf
ilmucche (1): Yami Fenrir
Yami Fenrir (1): Toalpaz
Sandwolf (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
Hal Incandenza (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf

Not Voting (5): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, Infinitum

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 15th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 2 days.

Infinitum was MARKED day three!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
SolusLunes will be replacing Yami Fenrir. There will not be any replacements after this. Votefinder doesn't seem to want to replace Solus yet, I will try once they have made a post.

edit: Replacing wasn't working with votefinder, I just manually adjusted. Sorry for any inconvenience ya'll.

Votecount for Day 3

Infinitum (2): dmboogie, Sandwolf
CirclMastr (1): Infinitum
Sandwolf (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Infinitum, Infinitum

Not Voting (6): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche, SolusLunes, Toalpaz

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 15th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day, 8 hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
toal has messaged me asking to put a vote on infinitum. this has been processed.

as a note, a few of you are below the minimum of ten posts a day. please fix that.

Votecount for Day 3

Infinitum (3): dmboogie, Sandwolf, Toalpaz
Sandwolf (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Infinitum, Infinitum, SolusLunes

Not Voting (4): Bifauxnen, CirclMastr, Hal Incandenza, ilmucche

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 15th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 22 hours, 30 minutes.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The storm was raging as they carried Connor through the double doors screaming. It took five of them to hold him as the wind whipped through them. Something had taken hold of them during the day and wouldn’t let go, conversations were taught and punctuated with long silences, but now you could barely even hear Connor over the storm.

“Please, not the water! Anything but the water!”

They carried him towards the pool out back, he was screaming names that meant nothing to you, but whoever Jasmine and Raul were, Connor was thinking of them up to his last moments.

But, enough of all that, yes? It’s such a dreary tale, and one with a set end. How about instead we talk about something else, while we have time?

I would like to tell you the first story the castle told me.

Ah, but you still want to know what became of Connor? I cannot say I know with any certainty. There are many, many rooms in the Castle, and some doors still remain closed to me. All I know is that Connor’s head never broke above the dark water of the pool again.

Infinitum, Connor Martin, Town Doctor was executed day three!

Night actions please.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
couple programming notes

that gif incorrectly says 'day 4' instead of 'day 3.'

final votecount is:

Votecount for Day 3

Infinitum (5): dmboogie, Sandwolf, CirclMastr, Bifauxnen, Toalpaz
Sandwolf (1): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Infinitum, Infinitum, SolusLunes

Not Voting (2): Hal Incandenza, ilmucche

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 15th, 2020 at 8 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 8 hours, 49 minutes.

Yami FenrirSolusLunes was MARKED night two!

Inf is dead so their mark is dead well.

CirclMastr only have 5 of 10 posts today. If they do not make 10 posts by the end of day 4 they will be modkilled.

I believe that is the only person below threshold.

okay that's it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Five. Just five. That’s how many gathered in front of the fireplace, the last pathetic embers having long since died out. I watched them for a while, waiting for the exact moment they would realize that no one else was coming. It came upon them gradually, like a sunrise, although I could not say then if any of them would live to see another sunrise.

Once again, they began the rounds. The wood of the second floor was stained bright red now, not the muddy brownish-red of dried blood, but a vibrant color of menacing vitality. As they made their way through the Castle, they found doors they had never seen before. Some doors were now locked, but they could hear strange voices behind them, like the murmur of an elegant cotillion one might hear as they watched the dance floor from a lone balcony above. Other locked doors held only whispers behind them, although the voices were barely audible, they were somehow familiar.

From below came a horrible crash. The guests who had not yet become permanent residents of the Castle rushed down the stairs, to find a strange collection of items scattered loose in front of the fireplace, which was now roaring. Loose embers flickered and jump out, threatening to ignite the contents if they were left to their devices.

The first object, a hammer. Stained red, strangely heavy, and powerful in your hand.

dmboogie, Mara Steyer, Town Night-Vigilante evaporated night three!

The second, a notebook. Its pages full of field observations, drawings, and theories about… staircases?

Toalpaz, Luis Arias, Town Limited Tracker went missing night three!

The third, an axe with a black handle and a silver head, planted neatly in the middle of a dossier with detailed portfolios and observations of other guests here at the Castle.

Bifauxnen, Richard Slaughter, House of Slaughter Aligned Echo Cop dematerialized night three!

Enough words on the dead, let us talk once more of the living.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Thread stays locked until my lunch break in like an hour lol sorry

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
A few minutes passed. Sarah casually confessed to murdering her wife beside the roaring fireplace. Then something grabbed hold of them, although I cannot say that it was the Castle. The four of them heard the call of something wild and primal, and they rushed to embrace it as they began to push Cynthia’s head into the fire.

“You cannot do this, unhand me! I am the Countess now! I rule the Castle! Get your disgusting hands off me! You smell like cattle and filth!”

The rest of us watched, although they could not see us, as Cynthia fought, swiping desparately with her hands, which had grown into thick claws. Stacey took a fireplace poker and brought it down again and again on Cynthia, her arms shuddering with each jolt. Nick and Sarah took her roughly by the arms and shoved her head into the guts of the fireplace.

She did not scream, but her face changed several times. Once it was the face of the Countess, once it was the head of a wolf, but at last it was the face of a scared woman who came here looking for her father, and who found something completely different.

Sandwolf, Cynthia Crooks, Castle-Aligned Bulletproof Bodyguard was burned away day four!

With no master and no purpose, the Castle recoiled. The storm broke soon after, and the four of them fled into the night, rain dampening their now bloodless clothes. Those who were later compelled to pursue additional inquiry into the fate of us, the newest inhabitants of the Castle, would find nothing. No record of our deaths, no mention of our births. We have always lived in the Castle, and it lives in them too.

Before you go, let me tell you the last story the Castle told me.

*There once was a girl who lived in a deep and damp and dark cellar.

One day, as she was attempting in vain to tidy, she discovered a tiny cupboard.

Inside was a cat, curled up and sleeping.

“Who are you?” asked the girl.

“Who are **you**?” asked the cat.

The girl explained who she was, and that she lived in the cellar, and that she only did so because in the house above roamed a great and terrible beast. At that moment, both cat and girl heard its heavy footfalls tremble through the floor above.

“I’ll tell you what,” said the cat, “Find me a knife, and I’ll cut off my skin, and you’ll cut off yours, and we will swap places. I will outwit the beast above for you and you will be free of the cellar.”

So the girl found a knife, and she took off her skin, and the cat took off its skin, and they each slid into the skin of the other.

Then the cat (who was now a girl) took the girl (who was now a cat) and tucked her away in the cupboard where it had been sleeping.

...and left.

ilmucche, Sarah Elsasser, Town Overbearing Mason
CirclMastr, Nick Halpin, Town Day-Marker
Hal Incandenza, TJ Rose, Town Roleblocker
and Stacey Kerns, Town Day-Marker

have won the game for all Town players!

TOWN VICTORY!

whew
thoughts and docs and such incoming

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
design doc and role flavor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cx0FAC2YTmDzzlbndeO4weRos6QEPTXzJt_tgRKlcy4/edit?usp=sharing

night action/other bits flavor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tizV6NeBlufuLQVLh4ERY0O1LFEdcoRmN6wiunt6CCY/edit?usp=sharing

night action log: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nWPqnJcNK5rUAbbnPcH0R-CsZRCdTNw5kDdyNFSCwwc/edit?usp=sharing

uhhhh yeah so there were two scum teams, this was a fire and ice setup

Fire and ice setup
Scum 1
Bp bodyguard
Killer joat (assassin/poison/janitor), has to alternate

Scum 2
Echo Cop
Ghost - ninja, 1 shot juggernaut

Town
Rolecop - can target janitored players
Limited watcher - can only watch players who have not been marked, while they exist
Limited tracker - can only watch players who have been marked, while they exist
Night vig Mason - can only target a player who has accumulated 3+ marks. Two shots?
Mason w/ night vig partner, overbearing (protect/watch/kill only Mason partner)
Doctor
Limited Roleblocker - Can only target a player who has acquired 2+ marks
Day marker - can ##mark a player as a day action
Day marker - can ##mark a player as day action
Night marker - can ##mark a player as a night action
Smokescreen - can only target unmarked players so long as they exist

obviously poo poo went pretty crazy go nuts almost immediately with two scum dead by d2, especially the two killing roles, but i want to congratulate and commend bif and sandwolf for playing hard all the way through it and coming ~this close~ despite tremendous setbacks.

pretty much ALL the art in this game was stolen from emily carroll, please check out her work here: http://www.emcarroll.com/

if you would like to read her graphic novel, 'when i arrived at the castle,' let me know here itt and i'll randomly raffle off a copy

originally this started out as a Crying of Lot 49 inspired game but then i became obsessed with emily carroll's work, there's still bits and pieces of lot 49 in there, but yeah!

balance:

uhhh hmm i think it was good? i balanced around.... not both killing scum dying immediately, but i think this was as advertised not 'night action mafia' despite half the game being solved by night actions and also having a huge number of night actions???

THANK YOU ALL FOR PLAYING YOU DID SUCH A GOOD JOB THIS WAS FUN!!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
oh yeah the marks thing. ya that ruled! i liked it because it creates an interesting power dynamic between otherwise vanilla players and the other power roles in that they can 'direct' night actions. i feel like they were p. fair and there were strong benefits to correctly marking players and minor penalties to incorrectly marking players. i would like to keep playing with this in the future. kinda expected more distrust of the markers, but it started off conversation strong which was cool.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Moatillata posted:

Somber extremely good game flavor was outstanding appreciate the effort

Fun playing with y'all

Hey I appreciate you all. I want to reiterate my thanks for everyone playing such a high every game. 37 pages for 3.1 days is impressive and I feel like everyone really contributed in a meaningful way.

I'll do a pull for the raffle either tonight or tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toalpaz posted:

Thanks for the game, I really enjoyed many parts of it, despite how I acted. Sorry for yelling and being so caustic everyone.

i think it all worked out okay in the end, i'm glad it was largely enjoyable despite everything.