Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part of the MGR thread was absolutely 20 different goons getting to Armstrong and flat bricking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mokinokaro posted:

They tell you about the lasers a couple times but the hand is never mentioned.

It does mention that the Hand can get fiery from flames in the section for it in the Unite Morphs menu but yeah otherwise it doesn't tell you that in the tutorials.

I am up to the start of Operation 5 and really liking this. For some reason I skipped this back when it was on the Wii U (I even played the demo. I have no excuse).

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Pirate Jet posted:

Wonderful 101 straight up doesn’t tell you some things, but MGR does that and sometimes even the things it tells you are worthless. I still know people who couldn’t figure out how to parry based on the tutorial they gave, and the vast majority of players I talked to didn’t know you could cut off Sundowner’s shield - so they missed the game teaching them to cut through multiple points (and ate poo poo when Armstrong started throwing rocks.)
Cutting rocks never worked for me on the Armstrong fight. The time ran down in two seconds and cut only once. I played through his phases so much only to get rolled at that point. It was bugged.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Depending on setting you played on cutting those rocks are way harder.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Does anyone know what if the remastered version still has the extra character cheat codes in and if so can anyone tell me what the buttons are to use for the switch?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Drashin posted:

Does anyone know what if the remastered version still has the extra character cheat codes in and if so can anyone tell me what the buttons are to use for the switch?

Since the switch has the same buttons, I'm assuming the code would be the same? It has really specific conditions though

(Obviously spoilers in this link) https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/6933

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Since the switch has the same buttons, I'm assuming the code would be the same? It has really specific conditions though

(Obviously spoilers in this link) https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/6933

I have beaten the game on easy and have tried the code in multiple palces with more than 1 mil gears and nothing happens and I can't seem to find any confirmation that it is still in the remastered version. So if anyone could try it and tell me I would be grateful.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Alright alright so I just beat 002-B and got a bronze on this one and the last. I started off with consolation prizes so I'm moving up. :hehe: Just finished a different game I was playing so I have more time to focus on this bad boy.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Regarding MGR I didn't have any problem with Sundowner shields but the parry tutorial is indeed dogshit and will happily register your task as valid even if you haven't managed to do a single parry, on top of being terrible at explaining how you even input them. That makes for an intersting brick wall when you fight Blade Wolf.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess I never struggled with it because the game enters bullet time and I used the stick-flick method instead of the button press method and found it very easy.

But I’ll cop to dying on the exploading bridge in the first level like 10 times so you don’t think I’m just bragging lmao

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Social Animal posted:

Which upgrade is worth using the credit card for? Ukemi? Just looking for the highest price item with the most positive benefit.

attack liner is really good. Ukemi is great if you can nail the timing, as someone already said.

UnintelGen posted:

Admittedly I'm only talking about a single reddit post. (here)

Guy is apparently in the 101 Discord. (Cause someone else was asking the same thing, regarding the Steam Controller.)

Don't think he posted yet, but if he does he could probably tell you how he did it. Also he should post his config, but I'm not sure Steam makes those public while the game is unavailable.

Mouse input is bugged on my end too, but I assumed that was another Linux related bug. The wonder liner won't register right inputs, only left up and down.

Edit: he posted the config in the comments :doh:

Try that
I took a crack at using the steam controller with this game and I don't think it works. You need to do some tight turns with the stick to get the forms right in some cases, I struggled to do it with the touch pad.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Can you change difficulty ingame? I've gotten to the end of Operation 001 on Normal but I kinda wanna drop it down because while I'm enjoying the story and comedy, the actual gameplay just feels messy and unfun to me. It just isn't clicking yet, and I wanna see more of the game before I give up on it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Seedge posted:

Can you change difficulty ingame? I've gotten to the end of Operation 001 on Normal but I kinda wanna drop it down because while I'm enjoying the story and comedy, the actual gameplay just feels messy and unfun to me. It just isn't clicking yet, and I wanna see more of the game before I give up on it.

Equip the easy automatic custom block

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Wonderful 100, Capitalism fails again!

Team, engaging Unlimited Funds!

Seedge posted:

I really wish they had just gutted the second screen function from the mission menu cause it makes stuff like this way to easy to miss, but yeah. You can change difficulty anytime by pressing select on the mid-mission menu. (where the Wonder Mart is)
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure you just have to use the Dpad to select your difficulty, and you can also lower the number of Wonderful Ones for a starting mission... If you're a masochist, I guess.

Don't be afraid to bump down the difficulty! Kamiya's normal is everyone's hard. And don't shoot for ranks! Experiment! I feel more people would have a good time if they could just shut off that part of their brains where they know they're being judged.

Also a custom block that reduces the penalty for striking super armor. With how hectic this game can get, having a way to fully circumvent a mechanic like that for newer players would go a long way. More so than the full automatic. I'm also preetty sure (in the original) bumping down to very easy nets you the auto guts block, but I could be wrong about that.

Oh, and you should never worry about getting a Pure Platinum, ever. It is not necessary for any of the unlocks or anything. The highest the game expects is that every operation eventually gets platinum. So you can cheese through some tougher fights with some golds and even miss a few missions. (Though I think every Kahkoo-Regah is required)

It's solely for bragging rights.

UnintelGen fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 13, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah I kind of wish this had a mode like Astral Chain where scoring was disabled. It would make things more enjoyable for a lot of players.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'm all for options, but I think the scoring does more good than bad. When I played this game and Bayonetta for the first time years ago on Wii U I ignored the scoring completely and was kind of confused why anyone liked these games. I only really started getting more into them once I paid more attention to the scoring and I realized it was forcing me to play the game in a more fun way. If you ignore the scoring it's tempting to just fall into the same "stun and smash with fist while tanking hits" routine over and over again and then you accidentally suck all the fun out of the game for yourself. Or at least that's how it was with me.

I guess what I'm saying is: I think to get the most fun out of the game you should use the scoring to guide the way your playing. It's okay to get bad scores (and you almost definitely will as you learn the mechanics / enemy movesets), but rather than just ignoring them and trying to sneak your way through the campaign by brute force try to adapt and see if you can get through the game *and* get some high scores. Or not whatever it's your game!!!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So Operation 7: (7A anyway) i appreciate what they are going for, but between the boring environment and finicky platforming it is sort of the nadir of the experience for me

Game still good though.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I have checked a variety of menus and can see no way to change the difficulty, which seems kinda silly.

Oh for... Its the touch pad when you're selecting an operation. Well. I'm dumb.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is that team unite morph skill one of the important ones to buy? It looks like it can really up damage potential. Wish I had unlimited cash everything looks good to buy.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

It is one of best ways to up damage and combo. So definitely.

As for cash, don't forget to trade in your veggies for credit cards to get the more expensive items if possible.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

UnintelGen posted:

It is one of best ways to up damage and combo. So definitely.

As for cash, don't forget to trade in your veggies for credit cards to get the more expensive items if possible.

Thanks I’ll buy that skill and give it a whirl. And yeah finally busted out the credit card, used it on ukemi which has been great when I remember to actually use it.

I’m going for that charge block next so I can just hold down attack to charge my morph! At least that’s what I think it does.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Social Animal posted:

Thanks I’ll buy that skill and give it a whirl. And yeah finally busted out the credit card, used it on ukemi which has been great when I remember to actually use it.

I’m going for that charge block next so I can just hold down attack to charge my morph! At least that’s what I think it does.

Unite charge lets you hold down attack and pop up a bigger morph for one batter per level. It can be pretty useful for sure. Keep checking the blocks, though, more get added. Hero time in particular is super useful, it's Witch Time from Bayonetta. Hero Sense is the same thing but it automatically activates for 3 batteries; not AS useful because of that but that did pull my fat out of the fire for one particularly chaotic mid game boss fight.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

There’s witch time? Holy poo poo ok I’m saving all of my cash for when that pops up hell yeah!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm curious how the switch performance is for people that got a switch digital version. I should eventually get a switch physical copy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm curious how the switch performance is for people that got a switch digital version. I should eventually get a switch physical copy.

Seems absolutely fine. Never seen a frame drop or anything. Not sure if the pc version looks especially better but no issues with the switch version afaict

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Reviews say the switch has the odd minor frame drop when it gets busy but nothing that hurts playing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

here's probably more info than you were asking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOCR4pdwuo. apparently performance is better in handheld mode than docked because the docked rendering target is 1080p vs. 720 handheld.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I completed the game last night. I see that there are some reviews that are harsh on the game, and to be completely honest it is not hard to see why. It can be rough at times, sometimes prohibitively so. But it is always interesting and I am drat glad I eventually got around to playing it.

Now to see how far I get on Hard mode. The REAL Wonderful 101 starts now.

Also what are those platinum coins used for?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I've been having fun playing this, moreso than when I played it on Wii U but I'm finding the Switch port disappointing, I guess I was expecting a solid 60fps and I've had the game crash twice already before I've even beaten it =/

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I can confirm that unfortunately performance tanked unbelievably for me in docked mode while I fought Laambo. I can only imagine how bad Vorkken gets.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Yikes I’m glad I decided to just play the free Steam key they sent out. It’s been enjoyable so far but I hope they address these issues on the Switch. Otherwise I’ll probably sell the physical when it arrives.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do you think the person who designed the turtle enemies actively hates the player and also fun? Because they are without a doubt the worst designed enemy in the game and beating them doesn’t even feel rewarding it’s just a terrible slog.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I haven't gotten to that point in the remaster yet but I remember them being very weak to the hammer morph

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's already a mod to fix the broken framepacing on the PC version, and some other minor issues

https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2020/05/16/silentpatch-wonderful-101/

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do you think the person who designed the turtle enemies actively hates the player and also fun? Because they are without a doubt the worst designed enemy in the game and beating them doesn’t even feel rewarding it’s just a terrible slog.

I specifically did a google search to see if I was missing anything and no they just loving suck

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I haven't gotten to that point in the remaster yet but I remember them being very weak to the hammer morph

They aren’t very weak to anything, that’s the problem. They are only vulnerable to hammer until you break their shell. Since they always seem to come in pairs of two, you’ll be whittling away the health on one and the other will suddenly launch its head at you or make fire shoot from the ground underneath you and unless you are paying attention to every little thing going on all at once you are likely not to notice until you get hit.

I understand this is pretty much the peak Platinum Games experience, though.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

You can also bait the turtles to stomp you and a Unite Guts will make them start to wobble, then you can mash away with something like Hand or Sword to make them fully topple over and proceed to gently caress them up. Doesn't stop the second turtle from being a dickhead during the process though

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fawf posted:

You can also bait the turtles to stomp you and a Unite Guts will make them start to wobble, then you can mash away with something like Hand or Sword to make them fully topple over and proceed to gently caress them up. Doesn't stop the second turtle from being a dickhead during the process though

I could only block the rear leg stomp and not when they stomp with their front legs, idk if that’s how it’s supposed to be but I was having trouble getting them to do the rear leg stomp.

UnintelGen
Sep 5, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I could only block the rear leg stomp and not when they stomp with their front legs, idk if that’s how it’s supposed to be but I was having trouble getting them to do the rear leg stomp.

I'm fairly sure the two foot front stomp doesn't do anything or even has a hurtbox. Only single foot stomps do damage/can be blocked. Just stay to a corner and hug a leg and they're bound to stomp.

I'm pretty sure you know this, but larger morphs destroy armor faster.

One good tactic I've seen dealing with the second turtle, when he's doing fire stomps, is to have hand active. It negates the attack, and this is great when you have turtle #1 on it's side because if the two are far enough away turtle #2 will likely go for a fire attack and just set your hand on fire.

It's kinda useless while they have armor, but whip can stun them unarmored. I don't know why they made that choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I realized in one of the secret missions that you can stun them with whip once their armor is gone. Also I remember unite hand made you immune to fire at some point and that’s made the game a lot more manageable.