Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is one of my favorite games of all time and I can't wait to play it again. Got it on PS4 just so I could get my trophy game on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

That sucks.

I can't say I'm surprised though or even angry or anything. It'll come with time, and honestly I was kinda nervous anyway. I'm a at risk person so been cutting down on mail and as many trips out as I can so the idea of getting a package fulla stuff, while exciting, still has me concerned.

I can't play the steam version so feeling pretty glum there too- but I guess I could just give it to a friend maybe. I just find the part of 'getting it later than stores' a bit weird as you'd think backers would be first priority.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Social Animal posted:

Combat is tough for me in this game. Is it just sword/hand then smash the button? I did get a stinger move which was nice, do I get more stuff soon? Right now I'm just using the spring move to hop around and punch, reminds me of Astral Chain's early game where it was pretty basic.

You get a stinger for just about every weapon- and yeah you get more skills the more you use a weapon. Gun has some hidden transformations that you have to look up online to use (turn into missile launchers etc) but everything else is just natural.

Starting out there won't be much but as you get more 'core' weapons like Claws or the Hammer they'll start introducing enemies that you'll have to swap to rapidly.

Fist: Does the most damage, but shields/bouncy enemies will cause you to recoil
Sword: Slightly less damage but can cut through Jelly enemies and a lot of other things opening them up to fist
Gun: Good for distance enemies, it's big draw is that it can catch some projectiles and fire them back. One of the least useful ones but eh.
Whip: Long range version of sword. I actually don't remember using it too much because it's kind of slow.
Hammer: Insanely slow but almost nothing can defend itself from it and it's the big damage weapon. It speeds up with more skills you get and it's stinger is great.
Claws: Can rip open enemy defenses (specific enemies require it) and it's insanely fast. Can freeze enemies but does really low damage. It's fun to switch to once you get drawing it down.
Bomb: Literally just a combo tool. Probably the best weapon in the game as it freezes enemies completely in vulnerable states for long periods of time so you don't have to worry about foes defending themselves or recovering.

So later on you'll find enemies that require a weapon to open up- but will take more damage from a different weapon type so you'll be swapping a lot in no time. Like there's a dragon enemy that shows up around mission 3 (or 4) that can use its wings to form a dome around itself for protection. You'll want to use Claws to open the dome. Bomb to keep it frozen in it's vulnerable state then Fist to smash its head in for major damage- entire time you can have a sword or another weapon auto attacking it turning a couple minute long fight into a few seconds long

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Xad posted:

Gun is one of the most useful weapons! It attaches people to enemies like your regular team attack, but once you get the Stinger you can do it rapid-fire to keep up your combo and stun enemies faster, it's extremely important for getting high ranks on harder difficulties.

Also the whip isn't just the long range sword. It can attack spiky things without recoiling, and can grab and throw stunned enemies

Knew I was forgetting something with the whip . I just don't recall using it all that much and didn't fact check myself so my fault there.

As for Gun it might be but I went through hard mode barely touching it unless I wanted to feel flashy so eh- comes down to options/playstyles I guess

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have you ever played Metal Gear Rising. It's that game.

Also Ukemi is cool because Poseman does Viewtiful Joe's pose when he recovers with it.