Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Got the poo poo kicked out of me on mission 001-B, and I beat this game when it came out. Good times, thanks Platinum. I still need to get used to the timing for everything again, and remember which moves can be block and which need to be dodged. Like I forgot that you could block scorpion guy’s slashes and jump move to get an opening.

And in typical P* fashion there are mechanics nobody tells you about like sending people into windows to get items, or fish turning into money if you draw a line around them. But I remember that so yay me?

Also the Switch version runs beautifully, no complaints here.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Do you think the person who designed the turtle enemies actively hates the player and also fun? Because they are without a doubt the worst designed enemy in the game and beating them doesn’t even feel rewarding it’s just a terrible slog.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I haven't gotten to that point in the remaster yet but I remember them being very weak to the hammer morph

They aren’t very weak to anything, that’s the problem. They are only vulnerable to hammer until you break their shell. Since they always seem to come in pairs of two, you’ll be whittling away the health on one and the other will suddenly launch its head at you or make fire shoot from the ground underneath you and unless you are paying attention to every little thing going on all at once you are likely not to notice until you get hit.

I understand this is pretty much the peak Platinum Games experience, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fawf posted:

You can also bait the turtles to stomp you and a Unite Guts will make them start to wobble, then you can mash away with something like Hand or Sword to make them fully topple over and proceed to gently caress them up. Doesn't stop the second turtle from being a dickhead during the process though

I could only block the rear leg stomp and not when they stomp with their front legs, idk if that’s how it’s supposed to be but I was having trouble getting them to do the rear leg stomp.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I realized in one of the secret missions that you can stun them with whip once their armor is gone. Also I remember unite hand made you immune to fire at some point and that’s made the game a lot more manageable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is Unite Charge worth using my credit card on?

Edit: you can’t get more than one credit card, right? That seems too good.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 16, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I can now confirm that Unite Charge is loving awesome and worth it. Speed Charge is also vital, although I saved up for that one.

Unite Tombstone is awesome, too. But Unite Ball... I keep finding that I accidentally activate it a lot, and it eliminates your i-frames from unite spring and generally seems to suck. Am I crazy?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

elf help book posted:

I'll try again next time I see them, I was under the impression their claws would cut the block.

Their “claws” are blunt so you can definitely block them. The tail attack can’t be blocked and you should really try to attack them from the side because the acid spit comes out too quickly to dodge usually. But once you block they become stunned and you can go hog wild.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

UnintelGen posted:

Any 'big but not too big' enemy like the Dahkarts (scorpion) and Die Dough Goos are very susceptible to team attacks. A mixture of that and gun (especially stinger) is an easy stun.

Is Team Charge really good, then? I’m not even sure how to use gun stinger tbh. (Edit: obviously I know the button combination)

Also there’s some weird hidden exp stat right? That’s how your rank increases?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bust Rodd posted:

Is there any chance of this getting a performance patch on the Switch? I would much rather have it on Switch than the PS4 but I've been burned pretty badly by bad Switch ports

The Switch version is completely fine. The only framerate issues are during a few cutscenes, the actual game runs beautifully.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Magna Kaser posted:

Some people have said there are framerate issues on certain fights when playing docked, but I didn't notice any and I'm nearly through the game now. I don't remember if I got lucky and played those specific fights (I heard Laambo was one, forget the others) handheld or not but I didn't notice any framey-ness during gameplay.

I tried to do the Orowchee/Lambo fight handheld and yeah it didn’t run particularly well. It’s also really hard to tell what’s going on when you’re playing handheld, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the pro strat for Vorkken? I had trouble with him every time so far but the volcano fight was by far the most embarrassing. I ended up with a damage score of -9999 lmao

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jenny Agutter posted:

speaking of poor explanations, in case anyone else was wondering about this, ukemi does not just apply to lethal damage as per the description but damage of any sort

Is it actually worth using?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How does Hero Counter work? Is it any good? The description is very vague.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1333487922150998016?s=21

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1333489167754424320?s=21

New update with Wonderful Ones based on Bayonetta, Jeanne and Rodin

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They probably got behind because of the pandemic, like every other game studio. And this game was probably pretty low priority hence the lack of updates. It sucks but I’m avoiding giving anyone a hard time about not being productive enough during the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1431502176325537794?s=21

Surprise bitches, it’s Vorkie time.