Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

on the less-embarassing end, I think that Toa Henare is going to be the second New Zealander to hold the IWGP championship. He's got passion and heart as big as the Tokyo Dome and he is getting really good in the ring.

On the more embarassing end, in the dying days of WCW I thought Misfits In Action were a fun stable with a lot of potential despite their silly names. In my defense this was before people knew what a piece of poo poo Bill DeMott was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DOUKI is my trash

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Benne posted:

DOUKI is my trash

I didn't include DOUKI because who could hate that perfect little gremlin?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Benne posted:

DOUKI is my trash

Wrestling will always have a place for lovely ninjas. He's fun.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah, DOUKI is absolutely wonderful. Not the best wrestler but just the loving best presence, he has a weapon that he uses and actually makes it look effective, and a kick-rear end finisher. I love that man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

unimportantguy posted:

This might be a YMMV, but Hirooki Goto. At least judging by the way he's often talked about online and the reactions I saw at G1 Special back in 2018, I felt for quite some time like I might be America's only Hirooki Goto fan. He has that weird dad energy, the distinct stench of permanent mid-card hell dweller, and a constant aura of either not giving a gently caress or trying just a little too hard to be Shibata and/or Ishii, but I legitimately think I may like him more than either. One of my favorite commentary things in the 2019 G1 was Rocky Romero constantly putting over the hard work Goto had done, and coaching him from the commentary table to lay in those mid kicks more, and it resulted in a pretty good story about Goto struggling early, but really coming into his own as the tournament went on. I feel like he's really good for that particular kind of "struggles and comes up short, but gets the feel-good wins" story.

You're not the only one that loves New Japan's greatest failson.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Gangrel. Yeah, he had like the best theme song of all time, but no one ever seems to recognize how good a wrestler that guy actually was. Dude had some sick moves, the tiger suplex, the spinning elbow drop. His version of the Impaler was the best anyone ever did

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Does Eric Angle count, or is he disqualified because he only shows up to impersonate his brother?

Also I liked Billy and Chuck. I know the gay angle was exploitative, I just liked that they had headbands that said BILLY and CHUCK on them.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Mojo Rawley because we both went to Maryland, I dug the Hype Bros, and he once main evented a pretty threadbare NXT house show in Largo, FL against Buddy Murphy in a surprisingly fun match.

Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper were also my boys on late 2016/early 2017 Smackdown and they both very briefly got a really great push when the Wyatt Family officially dissolved. Then it all came to a screeching halt.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

Does Eric Angle count, or is he disqualified because he only shows up to impersonate his brother?

Also I liked Billy and Chuck. I know the gay angle was exploitative, I just liked that they had headbands that said BILLY and CHUCK on them.

i liked Chuck Palumbo during the dying days of WCW

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Alaois posted:

I remember when he was in that stable, the Natural Born Thrillers, that was four of the same guy, plus Above Average Mike Sanders.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'm a mark for Takao Omori. I find his goofy charisma endearing, the axe bomber owns, Get Wild as his entrance music owns, and dude usually puts in a hell of an effort when given the chance in a big match, even if he isn't the best worker ever.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
mine was Adam Bomb

mine still is Adam Bomb

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Alex Riley was pretty poo poo at every single thing involving wrestling, but his RAAAAAAAGGGEEEEE run in NXT was weirdly endearing

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Benne posted:

Alex Riley was pretty poo poo at every single thing involving wrestling, but his RAAAAAAAGGGEEEEE run in NXT was weirdly endearing

we got a live one, put them in the box

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Unironically love Steve Blackman. Best entrance theme and I all the martial arts stuff he pulled off was extremely my poo poo when I was a kid (and today, who am I kidding).

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Alaois posted:

My first WWE show was when Palumbo came back as a biker. 3 generations of Palumbo bringing everyone together

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Crapple! posted:

Peter Avalon. Seems really solid in the ring, awesome character and has had some legit funny comedy spots in the matches I've seen. He's absolutely stellar in his vignettes too. The librarians CSI thing is great

Hell yeah. He was great in Championship Wrestling From Hollywood as their ace a few years back.

When I was kid in the early 90s, my favorite WWF wrestlers were Skinner, the first evil incarnation of Doink, and Bastion Booger.

Skinner had, what I thought at the time, the best finisher I'd ever seen, the Gator Breaker. Plus he looked like a dirtbag redneck psycho, which I've always liked in a heel to this day.

I loved Stephen King and horror movies as a kid and the trope of an evil clown like Doink resonated with me greatly. His initial entrance music and his mannerisms were so awesome to me, plus Borne was a really good and sound wrestler. After Doinks face turn, I was so loving pissed. I couldn't BELIEVE they turned my clown into a clown. WTF.

And Bastion Booger was a big fat gross piece of poo poo wrestler. I think this was my first foray into ironically liking a wrestler that everyone of my friends hated, but then actually enjoying him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I seem to remember Peter Avalon was in a tagteam with a wrestler who was a goon about ten years ago. Nick Lovin, unless I'm remembering the name wrong.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I liked Nailz when I was a kid. Also Tajiri in his WWE run.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Team_q posted:

I liked Nailz when I was a kid. Also Tajiri in his WWE run.

Tajiri's tag belt win with Regal on a RAW show in Japan was so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vas8_rpozls

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tyler Breeze is wildly underutilized and his matches in NXT with Kidd, PAC and Zayn were very fun.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Dias posted:

Tyler Breeze is wildly underutilized and his matches in NXT with Kidd, PAC and Zayn were very fun.

I liked his match with Liger in NXT.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Dias posted:

Honestly criminal he's never had a title run. Though he'd be at least perfect for a transitional NXT Championship reign when WWE started poaching some of the bigger names out there, especially since they were at least trying to make NXT a 50/50 between indie and quasi-homegrown talent around that time.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
*eyes and teeth shining bright slime green* Johnny Blast

Nobody else mentioned in this thread literally came to this very forum to say hi and say thank you and tell cool stories

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah the whole NWA Mountain State crew, god bless 'em :unsmith:

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

MotU posted:

mine was Adam Bomb

mine still is Adam Bomb

Pfft, trash.

Wrath on the other hand...

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Raku is a very good wrestler and when I found out she won her first match I got very excited; the match ruled and when the crowd roared after she pinned Miu Watanabe it was great. She's someone who clearly has worked incredibly hard to get a lot better as a wrestler and I generally respect those people more than the people who're ready from day 1.

My other one is Leo Isaka: he was a Tetsuya Naito fan when he was younger (went to the Dome this year and posted a load of fanboy tweets after Naito won it was great); clearly is heavily inspired by Kota Ibushi and Will Ospreay and wears those inspirations on his sleeve which I like. Also the only man to come through a Joshi dojo recently which is unique: trained by Chigusa Nagayo in Marvelous and he recently got his first big singles main event outside there.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I seem to remember Peter Avalon was in a tagteam with a wrestler who was a goon about ten years ago. Nick Lovin, unless I'm remembering the name wrong.

He was, yeah, maybe he can get that goon a job spot on AEW Dark one day or something.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I always liked Tomko, mostly because he served as an effective enforcer for guys I also liked (Christian, Styles, Angle).

He also had the best, completely in kayfabe, reaction to Russo's TNA clusterfuck faction booking by getting sick of keeping track of it all and telling them to leave him out of it.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

DJExile posted:

He was a lot of fun, he had a great match with Nunzio on a Velocity taping in England and the crowd was drat hot for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJgkC7Fmas
On that note, I've always been a Little Guido/Nunzio fan. Both for the ECW cruiserweight sprints and for his enhancement work in the WWE.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Wow, theres a ton of great choices in this thread. Anyone who posts in the New Japan thread has seen how obnoxious I can be about my boys Yoshi Hashi and BUSHI when i'm not in love with Taichi, so I decided to look West for a more low key boy

Maigius posted:

Wrestling will always have a place for lovely ninjas. He's fun.

I'm shouting out Michael Facade who I first saw in IWA:East Coast around 2009 up against the future Zema Ion. He's a very white guy with blonde dreadlocks who dresses like a ninja because reasons. He's been in tons of places but never made a huge name for himself because he's botchier than Sabu ever was and doesn't have the fundamentals to make up for it. On the other hand, his entrance involves using a spray can to design signs for fans to cheer him with, which I thought was super cool when I first saw it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
George “The Animal”’ Steele had a hairy back and a green tongue and would eat the turnbuckles. He was perfect.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

George “The Animal”’ Steele had a hairy back and a green tongue and would eat the turnbuckles. He was perfect.

a friend of mine up in Detroit met him several times, and knew others that had him as a teacher, all of them said he was one of the nicest people they'd ever known.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Koko B. Ware had a sweet missile dropkick where he managed to land on his feet and had a parrot so he was instantly a childhood favorite.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I watched all the WCW/WWF programming that was available when I was a kid, and I developed a weird fixation on some of WCW's jobbers of the era, particularly Kenny Kendall. Looking back I have no idea why.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
speaking of nunzio, I watched some mid 00s smackdown a while back and I loved Jamie noble. he was a real good worker for the time, and his little pissed off redneck guy who is looking for someone to gently caress his hot girlfriend character consistently cracked me up.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
When I started watching wrestling, which was in 2008 (yes, that late), my first favourite wrestler was Evan Bourne. The first time I saw him do the Shooting Star Press (still the most beautiful SSP in the business) my mind was blown. The next however many years I waited that push that never came as I quickly realized he was going nowhere. Sure, he wasn't a good promo or particularly charismatic, but he could sell his rear end off and fly with the best of them. Oh, and also smoke synthetic weed. To this day Matt Sydal is still one of my favourite wrestlers, ever.

When I got into britwres, more specifically Progress, Chuck Mambo became my boy. A voice not cut out for promos at all, a goofy (time-traveling) surfer gimmick and clumsy high flying combined into an endearing package. He has improved consistently over the following years and I'm rooting for him to have a true break out year someday. Had a great match with ZSJ in Progress last year, then he did a dumb heel turn that killed all of his momentum. Good times.

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Wow, theres a ton of great choices in this thread. Anyone who posts in the New Japan thread has seen how obnoxious I can be about my boys Yoshi Hashi and BUSHI when i'm not in love with Taichi, so I decided to look West for a more low key boy

I'm shouting out Michael Facade who I first saw in IWA:East Coast around 2009 up against the future Zema Ion. He's a very white guy with blonde dreadlocks who dresses like a ninja because reasons. He's been in tons of places but never made a huge name for himself because he's botchier than Sabu ever was and doesn't have the fundamentals to make up for it. On the other hand, his entrance involves using a spray can to design signs for fans to cheer him with, which I thought was super cool when I first saw it.

The Neon Ninja! I first saw Facade at an OH indie show (Remix Pro) a few years back in a triple threat championship match against Fenix and Pentagon Jr and he came out to the TMNT movie rap and it was extremely my poo poo. Being my first indie show I guess I absorbed that he was not necessarily a 'big deal', but 'Marietta Ohio's big deal'

He opened for an ROH house show in Columbus a year or so later and for whatever reason I freaked out because I was all "hey I know this guy I saw him before!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Does Crash Holly count?