Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
In a perfect world Bill Dempsey would be where Baron Corbin is now

edit: this is not my proudest snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

shiksa posted:

speaking of nunzio, I watched some mid 00s smackdown a while back and I loved Jamie noble. he was a real good worker for the time, and his little pissed off redneck guy who is looking for someone to gently caress his hot girlfriend character consistently cracked me up.

He was a fun transitional ROH World Champion in between WWE runs. Think he got fired after pissing hot for steroids & was in ROH for maybe 6 months but he had some **** type matches with guys like Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson & a great match with Roderick Strong in his final match before going back to the E.

His brief tag team with Kid Kash as The Pitbulls was fun too even if the ECW Pitbulls were better booked & used.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006
When I was a kid, I loved Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake solely because of his action figure: one hand had two fingers stuck out in the scissors gesture and the other was a closed fist with the arm at a right angle (which I think was intended to be for a headlock).

He will forever be the undisputed rock, paper, scissors champion to my toy collection because he would cheat and throw both rock and scissors at the same time.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

shiksa posted:

speaking of nunzio, I watched some mid 00s smackdown a while back and I loved Jamie noble. he was a real good worker for the time, and his little pissed off redneck guy who is looking for someone to gently caress his hot girlfriend character consistently cracked me up.

I remember when he found out he'd inherited a whole bunch of money and just yelled "We're going to Applebee's!" in joy. That was the good stuff.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009
When I first got into wrestling, my favorite wrestler was The Juicer. He was supposed to be a Beetlejuice knock off and would dance around the ring with kids. I wanted to be one of those kids so bad. Then he disappeared.

Years later, I find out he was fired because they found out he had a rape charge.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

When I first got into wrestling, my favorite wrestler was The Juicer. He was supposed to be a Beetlejuice knock off and would dance around the ring with kids. I wanted to be one of those kids so bad. Then he disappeared.

Years later, I find out he was fired because they found out he had a rape charge.

The man who Eddie did the Frogsplash as a tribute to if I remember correctly

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Art Barr. Was, supposedly, an outstanding wrestler. Which means nothing if he was a rapist, obviously.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I thought Brad Maddox had some delightful weirdo energy, especially on commentary for the C shows where there was little oversight. I still giggle when I think about Vesselmania.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Honestly, I loved A-Train during his 2003 run. This big ugly son of a bitch that could loving move.

DeathChicken posted:

Gangrel. Yeah, he had like the best theme song of all time, but no one ever seems to recognize how good a wrestler that guy actually was. Dude had some sick moves, the tiger suplex, the spinning elbow drop. His version of the Impaler was the best anyone ever did

Also him. I loved the fat vampire who just really seemed to be having fun.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I remember being a big Johnny "The Bull" Stamboli fan for some reason

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Macho Warrior" Ric Hogan is a horrible human being, but the concept of his gimmick is utterly hilarious to me and the name makes me feel like I'm having a stroke every time I see it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MathMathCalculation posted:

When I was a kid, I loved Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake solely because of his action figure: one hand had two fingers stuck out in the scissors gesture and the other was a closed fist with the arm at a right angle (which I think was intended to be for a headlock).

He will forever be the undisputed rock, paper, scissors champion to my toy collection because he would cheat and throw both rock and scissors at the same time.

The best bit about Brutus "the barber" Beefcake was how his opponents always sold getting an inch or two of their hair cut like they were being attacked by a swarm of death bees.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Does Crash Holly count?

i think a better question is can Crash Holly count

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I cannot articulate why, but I was a big Demolition fan back in the day.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
There are a ton of wrestlers I like from the Australian scene that not many people would have heard of. A fast improving wrestler im a big fan of and I hope he beats caveman ugg for the PWA (My local promotion) title when life returns to normal is Ricky South. Also Gino aint a great wrestler but he's pretty funny in the ring and I enjoy his antics. So he's my boy as a commentator

Robbie Eagles is my boy if he counts. He's a good lad. Doesn't really meet point 2 but he does wear multiple bandanas

I also like Yoshi hashi. He tried to save Okada and busted his head open but where was Ospreay huh !! Also Rocky who is supposed to be Okadas best friend was cowering in fear at the commentary table.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I thought Brad Maddox had some delightful weirdo energy, especially on commentary for the C shows where there was little oversight. I still giggle when I think about Vesselmania.

Still waiting for the Baby Battle Royal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

HouseOfLeaves99 posted:

Lamuella posted:

Art Barr. Was, supposedly, an outstanding wrestler. Which means nothing if he was a rapist, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1bchiaDP1Y

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Kofi was my boy for YEARS, he was one of the first new guys I liked when I got back into wrestling because I saw him trash Randy Orton's racecar and be part of a great segment where John Cena talked about Mike Tyson's punchout.

Seeing him win the title at Wrestlemania last year was a golden moment that most wrestling fans with Boys never get, and I'll treasure it for a long time.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Su Yung, she gets gimmicks better than the vast majority of top level wrestlers but unfortunately doesn't have any of the top level wrestling ability

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Anybody remember Just Joe? Folks at the time said his gimmick was a Meltzer insider parody that would 'spread gossip' backstage... A poo poo-stirrer if you will. Never really did anything of note wrestling wise in the WWE but his backstage segments were pretty entertaining. We've all met a Just Joe type and when Austin kicked his rear end backstage I cheered like was 1999. I miss you Joe!

According to Wrestecrap Just Joe pitched the Right to Censor gimmick but they gave it to Stevie Richards instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAC_7ZqoAY

Funnily enough there's another Just Joe that performed the vocals to the current Big Show theme. What a World.

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 5, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I can articulate why. We didn't get WCW in Canada and I didn't know who the Road Warriors were, so Demolition were their own thing and were cool as hell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I can articulate why. We didn't get WCW in Canada and I didn't know who the Road Warriors were, so Demolition were their own thing and were cool as hell.

They also had a cool theme and a sweet tandem finish

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

And they murdered Rick Martel, who I was too immature as a fan to like until he turned into The Model.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That theme freaking shreds. HERE COMES THE AX AND HERE COMES THE SMASHER THE DEMOLITION, WALKING DISASTER

The only WWE theme that is better is the Fabulous Rougeaus.

The theme music was 100% why kid me thought Brutus Beefcake was cool.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I was drawn back into watching pro wrestling by catching a Dalton Castle match on late night television, and as someone who’d been driven away in no small part because of Vince McMahon’s intolerable immaturity, an even semi-respectful treatment of not-being-entirely-straight (and also being p. decent in the ring iirc) pulled me right back in. For this I will never not have a special place in my heart for my boy Dalton Castle, and his Boys in turn

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatansOnion posted:

I was drawn back into watching pro wrestling by catching a Dalton Castle match on late night television, and as someone who’d been driven away in no small part because of Vince McMahon’s intolerable immaturity, an even semi-respectful treatment of not-being-entirely-straight (and also being p. decent in the ring iirc) pulled me right back in. For this I will never not have a special place in my heart for my boy Dalton Castle, and his Boys in turn

The segment where Dalton challenged Daniels for the title sold me on the character

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I think right now my biggest Boy (or I guess Cailín) is Sonya Deville. I think she's tremendous, I love her look, her charisma, the whole pseudo-mma gimmick, I love that she's out and proud and wants to be a role-model, I think she's a tremendously underrated worker, talker AND actor, she's got everything to be a star.

I hope against hope that this angle with Mandy and Otis is going to turn into a real push for her.

While we're at it, put Liv Morgan on that list. I liked her before, and I like what she's trying to do since she got the tiniest crack in her glass ceiling by getting that part in the Rusev/Lashley feud and actually going over Lana in the end since they needed to write everyone else off for a while afterward.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Essa Rios 100%. Look, if he was your first exposure to lucha you’d feel strongly too.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Seconding Damian 666 and adding Ciclope/Halloween as well. They're scrappy brawlers who look like they work in a haunted house and it rules.

I also like Jimmy Havoc which feels like an outlier opinion around here.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

CombineThresher posted:

I also like Jimmy Havoc which feels like an outlier opinion around here.

Havoc vs Ospreay was by far my favourite thing PROGRESS did, and alot of that lay on Havoc. Dude was a great promo and wasn't too distracting in the ring, and heel Ospreay was a breath of fresh air when the Swords reunited.

Also I really enjoyed Paul Robinson in the same period. The Swords of Essex breakup and eventual reunion, as well as the #1 contender's match when Havoc lost the title. I haven't followed Progress in a couple of years, but his work hold good memories for me. Always appreciate a vicious little fucker in wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

Havoc vs Ospreay was by far my favourite thing PROGRESS did, and alot of that lay on Havoc. Dude was a great promo and wasn't too distracting in the ring, and heel Ospreay was a breath of fresh air when the Swords reunited.

Also I really enjoyed Paul Robinson in the same period. The Swords of Essex breakup and eventual reunion, as well as the #1 contender's match when Havoc lost the title. I haven't followed Progress in a couple of years, but his work hold good memories for me. Always appreciate a vicious little fucker in wrestling.

Paul Robinson is/was also a really solid "angry little guy" promo. He cut one on Walter last year that had me halfway believing he could take the title. https://youtu.be/NA9TeHIR_78

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Sanguinia posted:

I think right now my biggest Boy (or I guess Cailín) is Sonya Deville. I think she's tremendous, I love her look, her charisma, the whole pseudo-mma gimmick, I love that she's out and proud and wants to be a role-model, I think she's a tremendously underrated worker, talker AND actor, she's got everything to be a star.

I hope against hope that this angle with Mandy and Otis is going to turn into a real push for her.

Sonya has so much potential. Every time she and Asuka face off together, they just have so much chemistry with each other.

I would absolutely love for the two of them to get a decently long singles match together. Just give them a chance to really show what Sonya can do, y'know? She deserves so much more than the (likely) feud with Mandy that she's about to have.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I think the existence of Ronda and Shayna destroyed any chance of Sonya’s semi-MMA gimmick going anywhere. A repackage would help.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I spent the early-to-mid 90s without a cable subscription, so my dudes were:

Man Mountain Rock
Hakushi
Barry Horowitz
Duke “The Dumpster” Droese
Kama (pre-NOD)

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

That reminds me that I also thought Papa Shango was cool.

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

They were my favorite tag team until I saw the Steiners. My favorite part is when Crush joined and he would hide under the ring and switch places with the others despite a) they had different face paint and 2) their body types had zero percent in common.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Boogeyman always seemed like he was having a lot of fun with his gimmick and that endeared me to him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its me i was the sole justin credible fan during his ecw heyday :(

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I kinda like The Great Khali...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tainted by VKM now, I was a big fan of The Hurricane and thought him and his gimmick were criminally underutilized.

edit: and was also clearly buried by HHH because how dare this guy have a gimmick that people like.